W10M - New features listed (compared to WP8.1)

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: What do we have in windows 10 mobile that we didn't have in 8.1

Thanks Speccy I appreciate your input. I believe you're right. I feel like after I get the android device the wife will miss all the little nuances about windows phone. The simplicity and convenience. The customization and the individuality. She prides her self on not following the herds so. I don't think that getting the Dunkin Doughnuts app will take the place of all of that. I give it a few months before I am back at the store for another windows device.
It's mostly just improvements on what went before rather all that many new additions, It's less about there being more, more about it being better. I'll take the live-tiles over the dead icons of Android and IOS any day of the week. For those that care, the start screen is way more customisable than before, so people can personalise it in whatever way they see fit, more so than Android and IOS in some respects. A better option for you might have been to just upgrade the 925 to Win10M perhaps... The 925 was a very nice handset, I wish they had stuck with that styling and used it for more models.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

You want just what was added from WP8 and not what is different that available in the Android competition, so I will limit it to that.

1) Move the keyboard to half the screen for one handed typing.
2) Better Alarms/Clocks/Timers
3) Continuum -- higher end phones only

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site

Wordflow is a bit crappy under Win10M compared to 8.1, I don't know what they've done, but it is a bit less accurate than before , still good, but not as good as it was.

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

Thx Cracgor... question though:

for someone that has a surface 3 and a desktop can you imagine why anyone would ever sit down stationary at a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to do stuff on a phone when they can be mobile with there tablet w/ attached keyboard?

would you do it?

You want just what was added from WP8 and not what is different that available in the Android competition, so I will limit it to that.

1) Move the keyboard to half the screen for one handed typing.
2) Better Alarms/Clocks/Timers
3) Continuum -- higher end phones only

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site

YouTube has a video showing 10 differences between 8.1 and 10.

For me personally ms took more away than they added.
The start screen is a big improvement.
Phone app. Has changed, added some.
Ability to pair a bt keyboard is nice.
The office applications are improved.

Now for what they took away.
Calendar no longer has year view.
People is totally stripped of features.
Email no longer gets you reply or forward to groups.
Keyboards are tweaked and I make more mistakes on 10.
Settings are grouped but still takes me just as long to find what I want.

Overall for me apps. Are improved most, with exception to calendar, people and email. Those 3 core apps. Pushed me back to 8.1 for now. For record, calendar and email have been improved I just wish the wouldn't have removed anything.

sulistyarso

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site

Better UI, better multitask performance, and freezing screen on my lumia 720. XD

Spam Junkie

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site

for someone that has a surface 3 and a desktop can you imagine why anyone would ever sit down stationary at a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to do stuff on a phone when they can be mobile with there tablet w/ attached keyboard?

would you do it?

Spam Junkie

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site

In the next generation or two when they have wp mobile handsets running an Intel instruction set then it will be awesome to have a full pc experience when wandering near a miracast display. The behavior will be emergent I think and I can't begin to predict what this will mean though I expect that the impact could be significant.

As an aside: I reckon that they could easily take the current continuum experience and adapt it to the car. How awesome would that be? The independent interface paradigm that they have would be perfect for it.

Mick.

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

Love love love love love this idea.

In the next generation or two when they have wp mobile handsets running an Intel instruction set then it will be awesome to have a full pc experience when wandering near a miracast display. The behavior will be emergent I think and I can't begin to predict what this will mean though I expect that the impact could be significant.

As an aside: I reckon that they could easily take the current continuum experience and adapt it to the car. How awesome would that be? The independent interface paradigm that they have would be perfect for it.

Mick.

Bobcat665

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

There's so much more that's built in, now, instead of you having to download a stupid third party app for - like stopwatch, timer, world clock, unit converter, file explorer, adjustable tile transparency AND (can you believe it?) a FLASHLIGHT app!

Last edited:

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site

A system that is not totally dead and beyond any hope?

WP8.1 has no development at all going on, no new apps, no fixes, no new features, not from anyone (and especially not from Microsoft).

W10M has at least a glimpse of hope (at least until it is released (or they finally cancel the project...)).

MobileOperator

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
There is a lot of interesting stuff in windows 10 mobile, built in apps we didnt have in 8.1, real, refreshed and new apps coming, a refresh in ui an ux, also noticed that its a bit colourful than 8.1 and customisable in settings than 8.1 which is limited, notification centre which is a so cool and a plus of everything thats coming. Windows 8.1 no longer have development, its alive but reached end support.

Last edited:

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site

Better notification center, better browser and better file explorer

Sent from mTalk

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Why dont we go back to What did we have in Windows phone 8.1 that we LOST in WIndows 10 phone ?

-Wallet
-Cortana (control to mute)

and there is a ton more but, those are the 2 that bother me the most..

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

would you do it?

I would not. I do not see the benefit to Continuum in my workflow. I would have to carry a keyboard, mouse, and docking station with me to accomplish what I could do with my SP3 and a cable. Not to mention I don't even need the monitor if I don't want it with the SP3. It is a neat idea, but less useful to me.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it was more about something that's drastically"new" and now about refactoring the code base to streamline their "one windows" concept. They could've done that without calling it Windows 10 sure. Fans are fickle however, and a new branding makes it a shiny new toy to play with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077