Share your W10M Start Screens and Backgrounds!

bananagrams

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
New WP user here.
Can someone explain to me how the background wallpaper works? I have an image that I'd like to use. All good.
Then when I go to the picture and tell the system to set it as the background picture, it sends me to the crop tool to crop the picture. that's fine. I select the area which I want to be displayed and press save. Success, the picture is set.

However, when I go to the homescreen, the area of the picture that is shown does not match the cropped boundaries that I selected. The height and width are cut off.. How do I go about fixing this without resorting to manually dimensioning the photo (assuming even that works)?

Edit: I'm on W10M and using a Lumia 640

celticmagick

May 23, 2015
Visit site
New WP user here.
Can someone explain to me how the background wallpaper works? I have an image that I'd like to use. All good.
Then when I go to the picture and tell the system to set it as the background picture, it sends me to the crop tool to crop the picture. that's fine. I select the area which I want to be displayed and press save. Success, the picture is set.

However, when I go to the homescreen, the area of the picture that is shown does not match the cropped boundaries that I selected. The height and width are cut off.. How do I go about fixing this without resorting to manually dimensioning the photo (assuming even that works)?

Edit: I'm on W10M and using a Lumia 640

Welcome to WP!

The area that you are cropping is actually a little bit larger than the viewable screen size - it actually covers the app list and a little bit lower than the bottom edge of the screen. When you scroll down on the Start screen (assuming you have more tiles than what can fit on the Start screen) the wallpaper moves up a little. The wallpaper also moves a little to the side when you swipe to the app list. This action is not noticed as much if you are using a basic pattern wallpaper.

I hope this helps.

bananagrams

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
Thanks! This actually helps explain what's going on.
Is there any way to make it not do that? Hmmm...Does that mean I need to crop more area at the bottom of the picture in order to compensate for the scrolling effects?

As it stands, I don't have any more tiles beyond the first screen.

Welcome to WP!

The area that you are cropping is actually a little bit larger than the viewable screen size - it actually covers the app list and a little bit lower than the bottom edge of the screen. When you scroll down on the Start screen (assuming you have more tiles than what can fit on the Start screen) the wallpaper moves up a little. The wallpaper also moves a little to the side when you swipe to the app list. This action is not noticed as much if you are using a basic pattern wallpaper.

I hope this helps.

celticmagick

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Thanks! This actually helps explain what's going on.
Is there any way to make it not do that? Hmmm...Does that mean I need to crop more area at the bottom of the picture in order to compensate for the scrolling effects?

As it stands, I don't have any more tiles beyond the first screen.

Unfortunately I don't think that action can be disabled. They should have guidelines in the crop section so that you know which is on the Start screen and which area is off to the sides. Hmmm..off to the Feedback app I go :)

Having just the one Start screen helps you out a bit. Yes, I would crop it so that the area I definitely wanted on the Start screen is showing with the less wanted area to the right (for the app list). I had a similar situation and it took a little trial and error to get it right.

Aurelink

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Just use an app like "Blank tiles", creates a tile with nothing in it. And with the 100% transparency of the tile, it's like there's a space between rows

Mike Newport

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
playa made, really love windows 10 on my lumia 1020 lumia camera is still better then windows camera and the images are amazing on newest build 10586.39

wp_ss_20160106_0002.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte