03-12-2017 11:18 AM
322 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    Here's my list of irritants, just about ready to try Android, Microsoft have had soooo long to get simple software right:

• When trying to navigate to a message, hangs with "Resuming..." quite often
    • Every update replaces Lumia camera tile with crap MS camera tile
    • Edge sucks in that you can't use swipe keyboard properly (can't delete and sloooow)
    • Edge occasionally crashes with a blank screen, refresh doesn't fix.
    • Outlook mail (where do I start), uploads and downloads of attachments are unbelievably slow, even for small files. Terrible and slow rendering of HTML emails. Live tile mail count gets stuck sometimes. New messages sometimes don't notify. etc etc big steaming turd.
    • Prefer old calendar, which was awful in its own right. How hard can this be?
    • Photos app takes a while to "sharpen"/load images when zoomed. Old app never had this problem.
    • Battery life is absolutely terrible on my 1020
    • Can't search for a song that's playing (maybe I just can't find how??)
    • Search button (not Cortana) just generally worse in general, can't pinch zoom on image search.
    • Slow to opens messages, emails, Messenger etc compared to 8.1
    • Facebook app absolutely sucks incredibly badly
    • No snapchat
    • People app is slow

That's all I can think of for now, MS should be ashamed of themselves frankly.
    AdrianGroza likes this.
    01-13-2016 09:29 PM
    MS should be proud of "no snapchat" ;-)

On Lumia 640 : Works perfectly, some minor improvements will be appreciated but overall: Very happy W10-user.
    Josh Harman likes this.
    01-14-2016 04:28 AM
    after 2 months or so using W10M on my 930, i feel like its performance has worsened. It now takes longe to open some apps, like FB Messenger, and it's not so fast when multitasking anymore: sometimes i see 2 ou 3 seconds of black screen after switching to an app. Feels like the old days of Android.
    Anyone else experienced this?
    01-19-2016 07:47 AM
    Using Lumia 950 for a month. Came from Android on S5 Neo. Fantastic phone. Faced some OS lags, but nothing general. I was just surprised how bad support on W10 is for FB and FB Messenger. Its weird to use EDGE for FB browsing on phone costed 550 )) but in general, I am satisfied. Waiting updates and increase of stability of OS. And also hope battery drain will be fixed.
    01-19-2016 08:11 AM
    after 2 months or so using W10M on my 930, i feel like its performance has worsened. It now takes longe to open some apps, like FB Messenger, and it's not so fast when multitasking anymore: sometimes i see 2 ou 3 seconds of black screen after switching to an app. Feels like the old days of Android.
    Anyone else experienced this?
    ay! ay! same here! The longer it stays untouched (no reboots, soft resets) the slower it gets.
    I feel like I am in the android eco system, on a 2 months basis - reset! :-/
    01-20-2016 03:28 AM
    ay! ay! same here! The longer it stays untouched (no reboots, soft resets) the slower it gets.
    I feel like I am in the android eco system, on a 2 months basis - reset! :-/
    yep. If it'll now behave like this (hope not), i might just well go to Android. The performance and stability WP8 offered was the main reason for me to stick with the platform. Hope they'll fix it if it is a OS issue in fact.
    01-20-2016 09:47 AM
    To me W10M is a huge step ahead in regard of SO interoperability and functionality but a huge step backward in term of identity and continuity...

But...

But after I while (and re thinking) I agree that those step backwards are not because of the OS but only because of the apps that are preshipped and that in the past were absolutely fine and consistent.

An example could be with mail, contacts and sms. Those represent a step back in UI, consistency and speed:
    • outlook under settings need the removal of some white pixel here and there (dark theme)
    • sms app is generally slower than previous iteration (was faster on LG E900 and WP7) (with Snapdragon 400 I often see the loading page...)
    • contacts has an alphabetical sorting that is designed completely different to others implementations (ex app list)

But I think it's the correct direction for MS, since the functionality has proliferate all over the place (in those apps too).

They need some polish and a new, clean and attractive, device line up.
    01-24-2016 12:02 PM
    I can't believe a feature that was mentioned since like...2008 or earlier for windows phones still won't be delivered. I'd really like haptic feedback on keyboard. I don't want to get people mad like "wtf i hate that haptic feedback ****, i just turn it off instantly on any phone" just make it toggleable, but I think it's not a really major feature but it would make a great impact with many users that like this. Just my opinion, WP has a great keyboard and this is all it's missing, for me at least, at the moment. Keep on the updates and improvements coming :)
    syscrh likes this.
    01-24-2016 03:02 PM
    I can't believe a feature that was mentioned since like...2008 or earlier for windows phones still won't be delivered. I'd really like haptic feedback on keyboard. I don't want to get people mad like "wtf i hate that haptic feedback ****, i just turn it off instantly on any phone" just make it toggleable, but I think it's not a really major feature but it would make a great impact with many users that like this. Just my opinion, WP has a great keyboard and this is all it's missing, for me at least, at the moment. Keep on the updates and improvements coming :)
    I'll post this in the feedback app.
    01-30-2016 07:42 PM
    just about ready to try Android
    I did that. I wish I hadn't now. Win 10 mob needs a lot of polish but Android UI is just pants and horrible.

1) Back button does not close apps and only works in an app but not intra-apps. Have to keep closing apps everytime I use the thing
    2) Completely inconsistent UI.
    3) Widgets ....very poor mans live tiles
    4) Apps ...yes apps....some great wp apps missing on Android
    02-02-2016 07:46 AM
    1) Back button does not close apps and only works in an app but not intra-apps. Have to keep closing apps everytime
    actually this is becoming a trend among apps since WP 8.1. FB Messenger and W10M settings menu for example, are suspend in background tasks rather than closed when the back button is pressed. Maybe that's better; i read in some threads here in WC that leaving the apps suspended, ready for when you need them again, is better than keeping opening them everytime you need (apparently this uses less resources and therefore less power), not to mention that it's faster than "cold-starting" the app each time.

4) Apps ...yes apps....some great wp apps missing on Android
    probably, but the reverse situation is worse. We're still lacking both quantity and quality. The situation is better now than some time ago, but it still needs to improve a lot.

i completely agree with 2) and 3) though
    LimeSoda likes this.
    02-02-2016 09:40 AM
    All I can say is MS has a lot of work ahead if they want this is to be successful. This Edge Browser on this 640 is terrible. It's very unresponsive at time and when I select things it doesn't work properly, some sites don't even render correctly. Maybe cause I'm using this cheap phone and I'm getting what I paid for. I wish they would let us install .exe files then this could really go far. Not sure if that's in the works or not.
    02-05-2016 05:06 PM
    My Oneplus X order arrived last Friday. I have been using Ativ S for ~2.5 years and I had no previous experience with Android OS. WP Banking apps are well covered here in Finland, but OS baked features like Cortana\Bing are completely useless. I was rather surprised that Google voice dictation understands both standard Finnish and colloquial Finnish rather perfectly. The voice dictation comes very handy when searching street names. About the only app I miss from WP is MyTube, otherwise Android apps seem to work better. Another positive thing is that Oneplus X lags less than Ativ S did on WP8.1. Modern hardware etc, so not fair comparison, but you often hear those who say "my Lumia 920 runs faster than your Galaxy S6."
    02-08-2016 09:47 PM
    Nah. Everything is slow on my aging 920. I love tje additions from 8.1 but not optimized enough for the old devices.
    02-12-2016 06:28 AM
    Hey guys, I am the developer of KitKat Launcher app on Windows Phone Store. This app will soon be removed from Windows Phone Store. Guys at Microsoft didn't seem to like this app and have mailed me that my app is not compliant, they have further written that the app promotes another mobile platform. Frankly I am not disappointed that much as I have moved on from Windows to Android. After being a hardcore Nokia fan to a Windows Phone fan. I found that Microsoft is not at all doing anything for Windows Phone. Windows Phone 10 is such a disappointment. Insider update have nothing new and it is still very unstable on my Lumia 1020. Basic apps like Store app sucks so bad. Windows Phone 8.1 use to feel very fluid. And now that I use iPhone 6s, Nexus 6. I felt that iOS and Android are much more fluid and feature rich. Features like action buttons in notifications, images in notification, interactive lockscreen, better multitasking makes me think what Windows phone really have better now. When I switch apps windows phone 10 shows resuming almost all the time. And the Apps, they are the only thing you use on the phone. No one buys a smartphone to play around with the OS. iOS and Android apps are not just higher in number, they have a lot better quality and feature. Same official app on Windows Phone will have trimmed down features. I was happy with Windows Phone until their updates and future was looking promising but now its time to move on. Try the material design instead of metro design. I think Material design came after Metro thats why it is much better thought out. Their developer documentation of material design shows how well they have planned it. Yes Android is also not perfect, it fills up phones storage quickly but usability is still far better than WP10, I didn't find it laggy at all, I didn't find it sucking up battery rather WP10's stand by battery was pathetic when I last used it. Windows Phones used be better in cheaper devices but they are unable to retain that market as well and have released 950 that I found very uninteresting. Microsofts phone designs not look premium now. Fabula design of N9 was so cool. Nokia used to have series like Xpress music. Under Microsoft their is nothin new, just catching up. Microsoft has shown so much creativity in Windows Surface line up but nothing in Windows Phone. Only place windows phone wins is in terms of amazing developer tools like Visual Studio, Blend. They are god as compared to Android Studio. But limited API's of Windows Phone makes it a poor choice again.
    02-13-2016 10:38 AM
    Can anyone tell me if VPN works on the 950? PPTP, L2TP and SonicWALL VPN no longer works. I am running latest build of fast insider release and in fact it has not been working for the past 3 updates.
    All I want to use my phone for is email, calendar, browsing, VPN (RDP/SSH) and WebEx.
    I don't care about the apps like so many people wet their pants over, but I am wetting my pants over the fact that Microsoft is releasing products and built-in functions dont work.
    Hopefully on official Windows 10 devices this is working and what I would like to confirm before I dump windows mobile for good
    1. VPN - does not work for any service except for Cisco AnyConnect
    2. WebEx meetings - require me to join by meeting number (that's on Cisco)
    3. WebEx meetings - the only way I can leave the meeting is to reset the phone (power off does not even work).
    4. WiFi - have to reboot my phone 2 to 4 times a day since it would refuse to reconnect to know access points as i travel around during the day (keep on getting unable to connect and a reboot fixes it instantly)
    5. Since two builds ago whatever app i select for the home screen no longer updates. Might need to fully reset my phone but I am so tired of doing it.
    6. Bluetooth keyboard does not work in RDP session (using Microsoft RDP client )

I really feel sorry for the poor people who bought a 950/XL and face the above problems. Now that release date is so close and basic features dont work, I give up unless someone can confirm this is working on 950 and will be fixed for other devices to hold out a bit longer

--- Nokia 1520
    Snapped my lumia 640xl in half since it was constantly rebooting itself and mainly during important tasks (up to 6 times a day). I did full resets, used the recovery tool. Ran the fix for the reboots. Im the not only one going by the posts around this. Microsoft just dont care plain and simple and the people that would have been able to help are all roaming the streets trying to find new jobs. (never ran 10 on my 640xl)
    02-17-2016 12:59 PM
    I love my Lumia 640 running the .107 update. No complaints here. Can't wait tl see what Redstone has in store.
    Maurizio Troso likes this.
    02-17-2016 01:19 PM
    Can anyone tell me if VPN works on the 950? PPTP, L2TP and SonicWALL VPN no longer works. I am running latest build of fast insider release and in fact it has not been working for the past 3 updates.
    All I want to use my phone for is email, calendar, browsing, VPN (RDP/SSH) and WebEx.
    I don't care about the apps like so many people wet their pants over, but I am wetting my pants over the fact that Microsoft is releasing products and built-in functions dont work.
    Hopefully on official Windows 10 devices this is working and what I would like to confirm before I dump windows mobile for good
    1. VPN - does not work for any service except for Cisco AnyConnect
    2. WebEx meetings - require me to join by meeting number (that's on Cisco)
    3. WebEx meetings - the only way I can leave the meeting is to reset the phone (power off does not even work).
    4. WiFi - have to reboot my phone 2 to 4 times a day since it would refuse to reconnect to know access points as i travel around during the day (keep on getting unable to connect and a reboot fixes it instantly)
    5. Since two builds ago whatever app i select for the home screen no longer updates. Might need to fully reset my phone but I am so tired of doing it.
    6. Bluetooth keyboard does not work in RDP session (using Microsoft RDP client )

I really feel sorry for the poor people who bought a 950/XL and face the above problems. Now that release date is so close and basic features dont work, I give up unless someone can confirm this is working on 950 and will be fixed for other devices to hold out a bit longer

--- Nokia 1520
    Snapped my lumia 640xl in half since it was constantly rebooting itself and mainly during important tasks (up to 6 times a day). I did full resets, used the recovery tool. Ran the fix for the reboots. Im the not only one going by the posts around this. Microsoft just dont care plain and simple and the people that would have been able to help are all roaming the streets trying to find new jobs. (never ran 10 on my 640xl)
    Ask in Insider forum, there are many happy 950 owners (and someone not obviously)
    02-18-2016 08:40 AM
    Honest review of 950 xl on att.

I've been using the phone for about 2-3 weeks. There are a few reasons why I bought the phone:

1) specs - top of the line I'd say
    2) expandable storage 200gb here
    3) something different. Been using iOSsince iPhone 5
    4) main reason was the camera

Now let me start with the camera. It takes amazing pictures when the circumstances are right. With good lighting and tripod, takes awesome pictures. One of the advertisements Microsoft said was that if you have an active family, it'll take great pictures with moving kids. I have two young boys. Most pictures I take of them are blurry.

Also, the camera is buggy. Good news is I do see a lot of updates in the store regarding the camera. So I suppose they are improving it slowly but surely. One of my main gripes is that when I first start the camera and take a pic, the first snap usually freezes for 3 seconds and then takes the picture. After that it takes pica quickly bit not as quickly as an iPhone.

Also, after taking a picture, adding finishing touches takes a long time.

Now on to the OS. It is very buggy but I accept that. It's not like this is the final version. Microsoft is coming out with updates more frequently than android and iOS. I see YouTube videos saying they're returning their Lumia phones etc. This is Microsoft's last chance in the mobile war.

I'll give them until October to make great strides or else I'll have to go back to iOS.

Just my quick thoughts on my Lumia 950 xl.

On a side note, ever since receiving my black leather mozo case, I like the phone a lot better.
    03-10-2016 08:12 PM
    Also forgot to mention, app gap is horrible and apps take forever to load Aka spinning circle. I thought I could deal with the app gap but it's slowly getting to me. And apps are pretty bad compared to iOS counterpart.

Spotify is very non-responsive as well.

I do like outlook mail and calendar.
    03-10-2016 08:23 PM
    Forgot to mention horrible battery life and lack of a usable navigation app.
    03-10-2016 09:18 PM
    Microsoft Lumia 435 with the latest windows 10 release preview ring.Things improved over windows 8.1:
    -Much better bluetooth connectivity.I used to have major issues pairing multiple bluetooth devices to the phone(not at the same time).I had a nokia bh 101,an AKG k830 Bt stereo headset and a Jawbone Jambox speaker as my main devices and in many cases when turning on one of the devices the phone tried to connect to another.Under windows 10 things are working flawlessly and the pairing is almost instantaneous.
    Things that are worse than windows 8.1
    -Improved hotspot,it is much more stable than on wp 8.1
    -Cortana:she is extremely laggy,has a hard time understanding me,in many cases she stops listening after 1 word or she listens for very long periods of time (2 mins or more) rendering her useless.She is also incapable of automatically turning on quiet hours,and does not respect the time when asked to remind me to do something (I had her to remind me to water the flowers at 8 am and she woke me at 3 am in the morning).Also,under quiet hours my alarm does not ring.
    -The sms app is very very slow,i see loading times all the time.
    -The peoples app ignores the system theme,if i select a contact to see details i see it on a red background regardless of colour.
    -Mail is very slow when synced to multiple email accounts.It seems to have an unreasonable time delay when using yahoo mail (it syncs every 30 mins or so).
    -Wifi sense does not automatically connect to a known wifi network if I disable wifi within that network's range.
    -Start menu tiles stutter,reverting to the start screen from an app using the windows logo buton makes it slow or in rare cases makes tiles texts go invisible (reboot required).
    -Groove music app skips music files,or it has a very slow update process when creating and updating playlists.
    -battery life is horrendous and the battery saver setting is completely ignored (regardless of percentage)
    -Enabling rotation lock and then disabling it causes the screen to go in landscape mode regardless of the screen position (if i shake the phone it comes back to normal)
    -facebook gets stuck to a certain posting (it starts there but displays notifications).
    -facebook messenger gets stuck on a daily basis,and is very slow when writing text (it lags behind me).
    03-11-2016 03:50 AM
    My review of Windows 10 Mobile is that it's completely missing the main features I need. I often spend up to 10 hours a day in the car for work. Unfortunately there is almost no functionality for using the phone in a car. Bluetooth it's very broken as it can't read messages via Skype in the messaging app. It does not support MirrorLink. All I can do is play some music via Bluetooth. Until Microsoft has a real strategy for the automotive space, I will not be buying another phone running Windows.
    03-15-2016 01:22 AM
    I am really surprised by many of you saying the OS is laggy.
    I have Windows 10 Technical Preview on my Lumia 630 and it works perfectly fine, no lags that are caused by OS itself.
    Maurizio Troso likes this.
    03-15-2016 08:43 AM
    That's a disaster, can't use damn thing as a normal phone now, can't add contacts manually - People Hub crashes on my 930 and can't see the old contacts, even after importing them form my redundant WP7.8 device.

I would rather wait for more few months than see this...
    jgch likes this.
    03-17-2016 06:47 PM
322 ... 89101112 ...