03-12-2017 11:18 AM
322 ... 910111213
tools
    Just got it and am starting to find my way around Lumia 930 here. The more settings seem a bit overwhelming and there's actually too much going on imo. I actually prefer the triple dot drawer to move the entire bottom bar up instead of just an overlay moving up with the options while the bar stays put, especially since the bar moves a tiny bit. It was a bit confusing seeing that. It does feel a bit laggier unfortunately compared to 8.1. On the plus side at least I get all the updates apps now which already are way better than the 8.1 versions.
    03-17-2016 10:30 PM
    I found one improvement: searching my company contacts from the phone app. Really helpful, but does not match with Android which automatically searches all the repositories.

Really annoying is the handling of accounts:
    • Except for the holy Microsoft account, all accounts were gone
    • Apperantly, MS did some changes in the Exchange client. I was not able to setup an Exchange account for Google Apps.
    • Without asking, the W10M update created an Outlook accout for my MS user. WTF????

The overall impression of the GUI is ok. Appart from the live tiles, it still lags Android. Especially in details, Android is much more than one step ahead. Why do I have to care I have stored a certain contact. Android solves that. On W10M, I still have to specifically search each directory.

If you ask me to give a grade, it would be around 2 (Swiss grading). Nice try, not a total disaster, but close.
    03-18-2016 04:48 AM
    To me it is great that my lowly BLU got the update but it is a disaster to me.
    The whole process took 4hrs, 1/2 the app don't work, I had 3 mail boxes for different email account and they're all f'ed up, camera app don't have tap and shot, multi language keyboard...it use to just press the EN button now it have to wipe the space bar why is it a good idea?

1/5 rating.
    03-18-2016 11:07 AM
    Quick update. My phone managed to update to build.164 and that plus some settling seems to have eliminated the lagginess for the most part
    Vyenkatesh likes this.
    03-18-2016 12:56 PM
    I'm giving up on Win 10 on my 640 XL. Internet sharing does not work for more than 3 seconds. I can just reset to factory settings and I should get Win 8.1 back, right?
    03-18-2016 04:07 PM
    OK, gave up on Windows 10 Mobile after trying it on a Lumia 1520 for 4 days. It's a shame how the software destroys the experience on such a beautiful and still powerful peace of hardware.

First of all it still reboots randomly, or the device overheats without any apps running (or at least none in the task view)
    Glance Screen refuses to work at all.
    Rich Capture in Windows Camera is broken, shows strange white lines on every picture. Under WP8.1 and even with Lumia Camera under Windows 10 there is no such issue.
    A lot of games have grafical glitches or refuse to work at all. Same for a lot of apps. Twitter, even after its latest update marks an old notification as new every time I start up the app (same on Win 10 Desktop)
    The UI is a total mess on a large device. Hamburger menus without sliding, one handed mode that's worse than the one on my 5" Android. Action Center without landscape support (gosh that looks so wrong and unfinished)
    03-19-2016 05:17 AM
    Purring like a kitten on my L635. Only issue I'm having is the one with 6tag I posted.
    03-19-2016 02:49 PM
    I have installed Windows 10 mobile on Lumia 1520. Used it for one day. Everything worked smoothly. However, at the end of the day I returned to 8.1. There are missing features in 10 which make it useless for me.

1. The Mobile Office requires now subscription for Office 365. That is, in order to edit documents on Lumia, I have to pay the same amount monthly as I pay for my mobile abonnement. I do not need Office 365 on any other device: I have a work computer with Office 2013 Professional. I would not like to pay for something which is free in Android, and which was previously free in WP.

2. There were alternative office applications (like OpenOffice Writer), but they have suddenly lost a possibility to open a file. Thus, no Office for me in WP10.

3. I have a beloved radio station who publishes podcasts. I am using to download them, freely and legally, and to listen during the breaks in my work day. This has become impossible with Edge. In stead of downloading a music file, it opens the file in another window and wants playing it immediately. If you do not play it, it disappears with time. I tried another browser; it shows that the file gets downloaded. But then this file just disappears.

So, after transferring to WP10 I have stayed without word editing and without sound. Why then I need it?

WP8.1 and WP10 are well designed interfaces. But as regards to features, they are still much behind even of Android 4, which has an open file system, free and advanced WPS office, and lots of browsers and music players. What a shame.
    03-19-2016 03:10 PM
    I have installed Windows 10 mobile on Lumia 1520. Used it for one day. Everything worked smoothly. However, at the end of the day I returned to 8.1. There are missing features in 10 which make it useless for me.

1. The Mobile Office requires now subscription for Office 365. That is, in order to edit documents on Lumia, I have to pay the same amount monthly as I pay for my mobile abonnement. I do not need Office 365 on any other device: I have a work computer with Office 2013 Professional. I would not like to pay for something which is free in Android, and which was previously free in WP.
    This is a known issue, uninstall the Office apps Word, Excel and Powerpoint and reinstall it all from the Store.

It should fix that issue.
    03-20-2016 02:01 AM
    This is a known issue, uninstall the Office apps Word, Excel and Powerpoint and reinstall it all from the Store.

I rebooted my phone and that seemed to have fixed that issue.
    After a bit more time with w10 I think I can conclude that it's like a more option filled/. Somewhat more complex wp8.1 it pretty much had just made me realize how much simpler wp8.1 was to navigate around. The seems to be additional layers of hidden stuff and/. The same options for move around to his under layers of tabs per say. It does seem much more refined but also more complex in the process compared to 8.1. It definitely feels much more inline with win10 desktop though compared to how 8.1 felt with its desktop counterpart
    03-20-2016 12:46 PM
    OK, gave up on Windows 10 Mobile after trying it on a Lumia 1520 for 4 days. It's a shame how the software destroys the experience on such a beautiful and still powerful peace of hardware.

First of all it still reboots randomly, or the device overheats without any apps running (or at least none in the task view)
    Glance Screen refuses to work at all.
    Rich Capture in Windows Camera is broken, shows strange white lines on every picture. Under WP8.1 and even with Lumia Camera under Windows 10 there is no such issue.
    A lot of games have grafical glitches or refuse to work at all. Same for a lot of apps. Twitter, even after its latest update marks an old notification as new every time I start up the app (same on Win 10 Desktop)
    The UI is a total mess on a large device. Hamburger menus without sliding, one handed mode that's worse than the one on my 5" Android. Action Center without landscape support (gosh that looks so wrong and unfinished)
    Did you hard reset your phone?, Hard reset solves a lot of the upgrade problems.
    03-21-2016 03:19 PM

Thank you. I re-installed 10, re-installed Office by parts, and it worked. Also found how to download music with another browser. It is not perfect, but manageable.
    03-21-2016 03:47 PM
    Found out my alarms don't work. Really annoying. I set a single alarm to test and that worked, but the alarm I set for working days didn't work this morning _
    03-22-2016 12:39 AM
    Found out my alarms don't work. Really annoying. I set a single alarm to test and that worked, but the alarm I set for working days didn't work this morning _
    Check if your sound i set to "default". After an upgrade, sometimes default means "nothing" if no sounds was setted before
    03-22-2016 03:21 AM
    Check if your sound i set to "default". After an upgrade, sometimes default means "nothing" if no sounds was setted before
    Alright thanks. But there are two places where you can change this and one of them doesn't show al built in songs. I can set a song in the alarm app (all songs) and where you can set app songs (there I can't choose all songs) and here it was indeed set to default.

Same with my text notifications by the way. I thought I wasn't hearing them because of noises, but it's doing it most of the time.
    Does it have anything to do with the screensaver?

Weird. I didn't have this problem on 8.1. Too many damn settings for one ringtone.
    03-22-2016 04:32 AM
    Alright thanks. But there are two places where you can change this and one of them doesn't show al built in songs. I can set a song in the alarm app (all songs) and where you can set app songs (there I can't choose all songs) and here it was indeed set to default.

Same with my text notifications by the way. I thought I wasn't hearing them because of noises, but it's doing it most of the time.
    Does it have anything to do with the screensaver?

Weird. I didn't have this problem on 8.1. Too many damn settings for one ringtone.
    For clock use clock and alarms. For all other things, use the Notifcation center settings, so you can find all sounds togheter
    03-22-2016 04:41 AM
    Seems like there's alot of things that need to be reset to work properly. My emails weren't showing up in my notification center for awhile., I ended up toggling the "group notifications by account" setting and had it create me a new live tile and it seemed to fix it. Several reboots and the update to build .164 seems to have smoothened the start screen and the lagginess. Apps still crash every now and then and seems like if there's alot of app switching going on it'll hang and crash to the start screen eventually. Some individual apps may need updates to fix bugs (line messenger doesn't seem to clear the live tile properly). There's still things that need work and bug fixes but I think it's stable enough. I'm not really liking how the back button doesn't seem to close anything anymore like it used to for some apps. Almost everything just returns to start screen with the app suspended even if they closed in 8.1
    03-22-2016 11:32 AM
    THe Win10 Back key function is just that... back. Not close. FOr closing, you must hold tap for opening task manager, then slide app down.
    Similar to Ios and Android
    03-22-2016 11:45 AM
    My notifications problem has something to do with the screensaver (black screen when you press power button). I get notifications with sound when my screen it lit, not when its black.
    03-22-2016 12:02 PM
    My notifications problem has something to do with the screensaver (black screen when you press power button). I get notifications with sound when my screen it lit, not when its black.
    Did you enabled all 3 notifications squares ? By chance you enable PRIVACY square? If yes, disable it
    03-22-2016 12:18 PM
    4 days, 1 upgrade and 2 hard reset later I give up. I pulled the battery more in 4days than with 8.1 the last 1 1/2yr. Hate the missing feature, hate the mail boxes keep mixing up, hate the stability, hate it looks like a ios/android style and delay on notifications.

I came from 7.5 and for the first time I am not sure my next phone will be a WP.
    03-22-2016 12:41 PM
    Did you enabled all 3 notifications squares ? By chance you enable PRIVACY square? If yes, disable it
    😅

I had two turned off because I thought that meant that my screensaver was on permantly with notifications.
    03-22-2016 12:46 PM

I had two turned off because I thought that meant that my screensaver was on permantly with notifications.
    03-22-2016 01:04 PM
    Is there any possibility that i have different notification sounds for messaging and e-mail on lumia 640 ?
    03-22-2016 03:31 PM
    Is there any possibility that i have different notification sounds for messaging and e-mail on lumia 640 ?
    Obvious, go to Settings, Notification center, and select every single app you want to notify for changin sound
    03-22-2016 03:32 PM
322 ... 910111213