03-12-2017 11:18 AM
322 12345 ...
tools
    At the moment it feels very rocky and unfinished, expectedly, the UI feels familiar yet disjointed at the same time. I guess this is attributed to the newer and older elements being in the same OS at this minute.

A few things I like/dislike;

- The toggles look terrible, old fashioned. They look very out of date and unprofessional. I hope they change.
    - START SCREEN has not changed at all in terms of design, fonts, etc I feel like they need to refresh this design even it means staying with Metro but advancing the design language in a meaningful way. As it stands all they have done is add one new personalisation option and add 2 new tile sizes. As a brand new OS for the phone, I think it needs to be looked at if MS have any intention of evolving the platform and attracting new people. Start screen is by far the most important aspect, it's the first thing everyone looks at.
    - Apps List has had some nice improvements to the organisation. The white/gray transparency behind it looks ugly, I think they should place a glass like effect here. In terms of functionality there remains an issue with scrolling. Tapping on letters to seek the app you want is nice, but there needs to be a 'scale' ie A-Z much like iOS or categories icons on the side which take you straight to your preferred app type.
    - People, I really like the direction this is going, much cleaner and with more optimisation I can see this being one of the best parts of W10. Circular portraits look ok, but the blank ones seem strange to me.
    - Outlook Calendar looks great much cleaner and attractive then the previous iteration. With some more optimisation it could be the best calendar app out there.
    - Mail seems confusing to me at the minute, probably due to its incomplete nature.
    - Hamburger icons. I feel like these a both a good and bad implementation. The positioning is bad on both small and large displays, MS need to do something about this by either changing up the placement or its implementation entirely into a pivot or something else entirely. In the Mail app especially it was a little frustrating to access it.
    -Messaging, again I like the direction this one is going and can see it becoming much better than the previous version. Some level of customisation would make it even better, such as choosing chat bubble style, accent colour, opacity of chat bubbles etc
    - Spartan Browser felt very broken and slow for obvious reasons, its probably too early to make any comments on this one.

Right now it doesn't convey the things I personally want WP to be, that is fast, smooth, very stylish and functional. But thankfully seems like they are heading in the right direction.
    Alfa Kapa likes this.
    04-12-2015 09:28 AM
    If 2 months is a timeframe you're getting for the stated Summer release, remember that Summer lasts a while...
    The build is fine on a lot of devices. For a lot of users.
    Forming a conclusion based on your own limited experience/dataset/skills is, some would say, foolish.
    Well considering that 8.0 and 8.1 suffered from Loading... and Resuming... it's not far fetched to think that Microsoft is not going to fix it. Even 5 months they will not have something that is better than what is out there.

Keep being an apologist
    04-12-2015 12:09 PM
    I ended up rolling back and will wait for a more polished build. Kind of felt good to be back to 8.1
    Montpbm likes this.
    04-12-2015 11:52 PM
    My impressions on Windows 10 for Phones:

Its just a bugged Windows Phone 8.2, didnt address MANY things we were lacking.

For once, music control is still the WORST among mobile OS, its exactly like Windows Phone 8.1, why cant we have a music control in action center?
    The OS is the SAME as Windows Phone 8.1, doesnt seem to be more integrated with other devices at all.

Sadly, i had the same disappointment with Windows 10 for desktop (and tablet). Looked like a bugged Windows 8.1, few innovations and messy.

Microsoft wont go anywhere this way...
    How did you get a copy of the production W10? And more importantly, why is MS asking us to beta test if they already have the finished version and giving it to people like Alessandro Dut?
    zapppa83 and hotphil like this.
    04-13-2015 09:12 AM
    Hi OP,

Can you confirm if the new dialer support smart dialing/T9 Dialing?
    IIT indeed does
    04-13-2015 10:44 AM
    Any solution for Cortana not responding to mic key...error message showing that Cortana not listening
    04-13-2015 10:58 AM
    So I took an unexpected plunge by unknowingly updating to Windows 10 mobile preview. How it happened? We'll I was so eager to get the update 2 so I installed the techpreview app, enrolled to Fast Ring and boom! It did not offer update 2 instead I was updating to Windows 10 mobile technical preview. I did not want to do it but it seems there is no backing out. I tried for several days to cancel the update when it prompted me but this morning when I woke up, the update forced itself.

Initial impressions.

- Its not good. I did not like how the display got tiny. What was they thinking? That the people should wear magnifying glasses? I really hated it particularly the battery icon, its so tiny its so hard to see it.
    - Outlook is not for me. Bring back the built-in mail application. I do hope Microsoft makes Outlook as an optional app and retain the old built-in app. I so miss it. Its the best built-in mail app compared to others, period!
    - Spartan is so disappointing, I cannot watch port : ( it crashes and its very slow
    - I do not have the new transparent effect on my Lumia 925. I don't know why.
    - The settings is a mess I prefer the update 2 version. This is too much like Android. They could have opted for a tiled settings look.

It's sad because first impression last and sorry but I don't like it and I will be switching back to Windows phone 8.1 update 1 tonight.

I know this is unpolished software but I am not liking what I see so far and I hope I am wrong.

Looking forward to a better and usable build for Windows 10 mobile. I hope MS gets it right the first time, this time!
    04-14-2015 10:14 PM
    Lumia 930 windows 10 update
    04-14-2015 10:20 PM
    So I took an unexpected plunge by unknowingly updating to Windows 10 mobile preview. How it happened? We'll I was so eager to get the update 2 so I installed the techpreview app, enrolled to Fast Ring and boom! It did not offer update 2 instead I was updating to Windows 10 mobile technical preview. I did not want to do it but it seems there is no backing out. I tried for several days to cancel the update when it prompted me but this morning when I woke up, the update forced itself.
    Should have turned off the "automatically download and install if my download settings allow it" option :D

- Its not good. I did not like how the display got tiny. What was they thinking? That the people should wear magnifying glasses? I really hated it particularly the battery icon, its so tiny its so hard to see it.
    The new small text means I can read my 2FA SMS notifications as they come in, without having to unlock the phone and go into the Messaging app. For me that's good.
    I do hope Microsoft makes Outlook as an optional app and retain the old built-in app.
    Unlikely. But it's very early days for that acquisition yet.
    - Spartan is so disappointing, I cannot watch port : ( it crashes and its very slow
    Port? Do you mean sport? Or pr0n?
    - The settings is a mess I prefer the update 2 version
    I like it, it's clean and a lot easier to navigate than the old unsorted list.

It's exciting times in Windows world!
    04-14-2015 10:20 PM
    Those are not sarcastic answers right? : ). I mean p00Rn.. Anyways, it is subjective. Some people like it and some people don't. But now I don't like it.
    04-15-2015 02:58 AM
    I was satisfied with W10 but...

when i rollback due high battery drain i can say that i love much more 8.1 and it's better, i like too much the old graphics with pivots ,the mail, 1 minute to configure 3mail to 1 inbox. I miss only WIN 10 notifications and start background. for the rest i prefer 8.1....until now
    04-15-2015 09:08 AM
    Are all opened apps "tombstoned" now? The back button no longer closes the app in it's entirety - the first time I held the back button, I saw all my opened apps were still - open.

I hate that. It's iOSque.
    04-16-2015 04:49 PM
    Installed on my Lumia 925. Definitely a beta which I hope will dramatically improve in future builds up to the final. Here are some of my impressions.

- several store apps don't work properly or at all. Cannot sign into my YouTube account in Metrotube. Tried TouchTube as well. Some apps just crash on every startup I.e.SimpiRSS.

- Glance Screen in settings is unselectable. Will not open at all. Battery Saver used to have a pinable live tile. It's gone from my list of apps. Insider Hub doesn't open.

- Rant on hamburger menus. One thing that set WP apart was the lack of the hamburger in favor of the . . . at the bottom right, easy for thumb access. The placement of the HB in the top left is unacceptable. I've submitted to Feedback to go back to the pancake.

- In Outlook Mail. I can't pin my individual mailboxes to my start screen. Needs a dark theme. Blue title bar should be at bottom of screen.

- People. Not sure I like the minimalistic theme. Selecting a letter heading does not bring up the entire alphabet for easy moving to another group.

- New Cortana theme is atrocious. It wasn't broken before. Don't change something just for change sake. Search results seem worse. Or maybe it's just the new view.

I do understand that this is a beta. Not b*tching. Just pointing out my observations.

I hope a new build comes soon.
    Anant Anand likes this.
    04-16-2015 08:51 PM
    Have anyone tried it on Lumia 535 DS Variant?

I'm bit confused to install this b beta version.
    04-16-2015 09:03 PM
    I'm generally a lot higher on it than I thought I'd be. It's slow as molasses and very rough around the edges (ran it on a 1020), but it's a tech preview and I'm assuming the vast majority of my "issues" with it are of the type that will be resolved as they apply polish.

I'm super high that they're finally looking to bring us a modern email, messenging, and calendar app. They've all currently got a lot of limitations in the tech preview, but it's fairly obvious those will be resolved before release, as it wouldn't make any sense for mail to not have notifications, as an example, so I have no real problems there, but did have to go back to 8.1 because I simply can't use a phone without email notifications. Which I have no problem with. It is a tech preview, and it assuaged some of my biggest fears going in.

Contacts (Persons) has a bunch of limitations that one can make an educated guess are polish issues that will get resolved, ie: no setting personal ringtones, etc. I like the aesthetics there as well, pushing it to a more modern look.

Honestly, I was imagining the tech preview would be a huge mess, as the idea of one windows on all devices didn't jive particularly well with all their previous attempts to run windows on a wide range of devices (ie: the netbook fiasco), and while the tech preview is super slow, it doesn't seem super slow as in the OS obviously is ridiculously too much for it (ie: netbooks fiasco), but as in it's in its early stages and horribly optimized. I mean, I could be wrong, and the release version will be super slow, but the OS on phones doesn't really look like it's Windows 10 on a desktop that is now running on a phone (ie: netbooks fiasco), so I'm pretty optimistic on my greatest point of skepticism that Windows Phone 10 will run just fine.

Now, while I'm fairly optimistic of Windows Phone 10 as an OS, after experiencing the tech preview, I don't think there's any simple answers for the huge app gap (and, I'm not talking about total numbers, I'm talking about the gap in apps you might actually use that your peers/friends use), and the lack of what I would consider a real commitment from Microsoft (ie: like how they approached the video game industry with the Xbox) doesn't inspire me with a lot of confidence, nor does the lack of higher end phones. There's a fairly decent likelihood I'll be making a jump to Android in the next few months, and keeping an eye on Windows Phone 10 and its phones for a potential return when that Android phone is eligible for an upgrade.
    04-17-2015 07:26 PM
    Have anyone tried it on Lumia 535 DS Variant?

I'm bit confused to install this b beta version.
    It's not even as advanced as beta.
    This may help make your mind up Is it right for me? - Microsoft Windows
    04-17-2015 07:39 PM
    Its too difficult to judge right now because its buggy and slow and things are just incomplete to say the least. As far as hamburger menus and some of the other lame gripes, doesn't bother me. Especially since the entire experience is hindered right now due to incompleteness and bugs. I stopped playing with it two days after release. Not functional enough yet.
    zapppa83 likes this.
    04-17-2015 07:44 PM
    Did a hard reset and reinstall everything from scratch... and back to W10TP...
    ... It now says I'm on Cyan
    04-17-2015 08:49 PM
    Did a hard reset and reinstall everything from scratch... and back to W10TP...

... It now says I'm on Cyan

Try looking for updates again. You may need to run this again. It happened to me too. Just look for updates again. Look here for a handy app.
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/sho...d.php?t=351821
    raycpl likes this.
    04-17-2015 08:51 PM
    Thanks for the link djeire84....
    As long my phone hasn't transformed into a brick, I'm ok with whatever the Info+ say!!!
    djeire84 likes this.
    04-18-2015 01:16 AM
    Can you disable "mobile data"??
    04-18-2015 01:45 AM
    Can you disable "mobile data"??

Yes go into Settings, Wireless and Networks, Mobile and Sim and switch on or off from there.
    04-18-2015 05:44 PM
    I had to remove the first W10 version from my L635 because the speech setting to have the phone announce, read and allow voice answers for texts was missing. I could have lived with the other bugs and quirks but I'd rather lose the ability to phone, listen to music, or just about anything else rather than that. I have since loaned my 635 to a relative but would like to know if they fixed that in the latest release for when I get the 635 back.
    04-19-2015 07:50 AM
    Great
    05-06-2015 08:19 AM
    Is W10 good enough to use as a "daily driver" yet?
    I'm thinking of installing it on my Lumia 1520, but I'm not sure.

The stuff that needs to work are call, sms, facebook, twitter, instagram (6tag), music and maybe moliplayer pro.
    05-09-2015 04:35 PM
322 12345 ...