03-12-2017 11:18 AM
322 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Running this build on my 930 and it is a definite improvement. However, many of the issues above and more remain. What I have found for issues, your mileage may vary:

1) Edge is somewhat broken. I have a site I used to grab on 10166 with no problem for reserving my express train tickets daily. I always enter through OneNote as it has my URL and user number (I only have to remember the pin then). Now, when trying to select the date in the dropdown, it freezes for a moment, and then reloads the page. After about the third time, it displays a message indicating the number failed attempts.

2) The Store keeps downloading and updating the same app on a daily basis. Without fail.

3) The Podcast app I am using, iPodcast, on the first launch does not open completely. Closing and reopening ALWAYS brings this to the proper screen. As I noted, this is all since upgrading as it was not present I 10166.

4) My 930 now gets incredibly hot during some functions. More so than before to the point of the aluminum band being uncomfortable.

5) Camera and photos are hit and miss. At times, it doesn't seem the collection is updated, and some software I use will not include photos despite repeated attempts to add the images.

I expect to see another build soon, and likely the final version available in a matter of weeks. If there were over 2000 bugs squashed in this version, I expect a ton of fixes, from the lag in the lock screen to the crazy store issues to be fixed momentarily. I am running this on my daily driver, and receiving and making calls has been flawless. Edge is my biggest concern, with general handling of apps a second place runner.
    08-17-2015 12:10 AM
    >1 - Do notifications work or not?
    Yes, no problems so far

>3 - Does Office work? My friend said Office disappeared for them after upgrading.
    The "old" WP 8.1 version of Office does indeed disappear. That said, you can download the office preview versions instead, all which are vastly superior to the regular 8.1 versions.

Everything runs quite well on the 640 XL ... so far. For me the new OS feels like the perfect mix of IOS and Android in terms of look&feel, ease of use and user empowerment.
    The new keyboard is interesting - the small embedded joystick could prove useful. And the layout - at least to me - is close enough to the iPhone ditto to increase my typing speed measurably.
    Had to hard reset a couple of times. Once after apps installed on the SD card somehow got "disconnected" in the OS.
    Since you are running this on the 640 XL, could you please do me a favor and check to see if you have contacts history in the people hub i.e. look for a contact, see their social media updates and most importantly be able to see your interaction history with the contact (emails, SMS and Voicecalls). Much appreciate your help in checking this.
    08-19-2015 05:50 PM
    Yes,I know the risks but its quite an adventure.My friend has install it on his daily drive(a 535)and said he has not yet encountered any serious problems.I mainly use my phone for WhatsApp,facebook and lots and lots of music and videos.
    So,should I opt for fast or slow ring?
    I have it installed on my 640, runs p perfectly, two notes though
    1- you have to reset the phone after upgrade to the latest 10512 build for it to run smoothly, same thing happened for build 10166 (which is what you will get on slow ring)
    2- that latest build doesn't support tethering.
    08-20-2015 09:07 AM
    I've been using this on my 920 for a week or two now. If I were to rate it, I'd probably give it something like a 6/10. I don't feel like much of anything is improved from WP8.1, but a LOT of things are worse. Some key things:

--I didn't think the last iteration of Xbox Music could be made into a worse app, but Groove Music has pulled it off. Loading in new music isn't any faster than it used to be, in my brief experience. They took out the artist-specific song view, a feature I used a LOT. The pop-out menu is trash, and conceptually awful for touch-based navigation. It feels like something met for a mouse. Having the Now Playing thing follow you through menus is cool, right up until you want to select something at the bottom of a screen, and it partially blocks what you're trying to reach. Oh, and don't forget that the live tile doesn't work and the lockscreen functionality is apparently gone. Given that the music player is BY FAR my most-used app on mobile, these problems are a major deal to me.

--E-mail is horrendous on Windows 10. Why is everything thrown into Outlook, which I have no interest in touching with a 10-foot pole? I liked pinning my individual e-mail accounts with WP8.1, while also having lockscreen notifications for them. Now, it's all a giant mess in one tile, and I have to use the stupid pop-out menu to navigate between accounts. Productivity is down in e-mail, to the point I honestly don't even bother checking my e-mail on my phone much anymore. I used to get my alerts and check stuff ALL THE TIME on my phone, but it's such a chore I can't be bothered with it anymore.

--Is there some way to change text tones in W10M? I didn't see it, and the alert sounds are SO BAD in this OS. I hate getting texts because my phone is so annoying now. What's more, after having different alert tones for different apps, they're all the same, and I hate that. I don't know if I got something important or trivial on my phone.

--The Outlook Calendar app blows. I don't want something tied to my e-mail. I want the old app back. For starters, the app list icon is broken, so it's an empty tile. Switching between months is tedious because of the touchy flip controls that make no logical sense. Oh, I want to go to the next month? That's too bad, because slowly swiping up doesn't send me to September, it sends me to next January.

--Multi-tasking is worse as well. For some reason, they think that backing out of an app means it should go into the multi-tasking buffer, rather than closing it. Too often do I want to get something I deliberately suspended back up, only to have it buried behind 3-4 things I tried to close, but they were put into the multi-tasking window. Oh, and why was it moved from the left to the right, to copy Apple? Pointless visual change that makes usability for loyal users worse, classic Microsoft.

--The browser's much worse. It loves to open tabs for no good reason, leaving the tabs pane a mess. I hate it SO much. Plus, I didn't see a way to set a home page, and that idiotic "Browser for Doing" default page just makes me hate Edge all the more (don't get me started on how disjointed and weird it is on the desktop).

--The Xbox app seems to be worse than the Xbox One SmartGlass beta app. I uninstalled the latter, thinking the former would be the go-to solution for connecting to my One. Now, I might go reinstall the SmartGlass beta because I hate the Xbox app so much.

--The Glance app functionality isn't working, so I no longer get weather info on my lock screen. That's quite annoying.

--Why can't I swipe to the right to dismiss toast notifications as the appear anymore? I guess convenience is the enemy of W10.

--All of this leads to one last thing that the previous 8.1 update screwed me with: TOO MANY APPS. They've broken everything down into a system app that I can't stand. I don't want 15 pointless apps in my app list. I don't need a Cortana app, Cortana does nothing for me (literally the only thing it's done for me is get rid of the lockscreen-to-Bing shortcut, which was another backwards step for the OS, to me). I'm not going to call customer support, so I can't see why I have the app. I don't listen to the radio, so that app could gladly leave. I count 10 system apps on this OS that I want to remove from my phone, but can't. It's Android-level clutter, and I hate it.

There really isn't much to say about W10M that's an upgrade. I guess the built-in flashlight is nice, but it's strangely NOT an app I can pin. Dragging down the Action Center to use the flashlight's kind of annoying. The new, bigger set of quick-action icons would be nice, if it were able to be fully customized. There are 16 things in the expanded quick action area, but only 5 of them meaningfully interest me. I'd like if I could both hide the undesirable ones altogether AND move the "All Settings" one back to the bottom-right from the top-4 action row. Tucked in with the rest, it's an inconvenience, so I instead pinned a tile for it and use that. That the new Maps app includes 3-D maps, a la StreetView, is nice, but not a frequent-enough feature to really move the needle for me.

Overall, W10M is a cluttered mess. It's killed so much of the WP convenience, especially with the switch from swipe-based navigation to pop-out menus. If you could AT LEAST re-position them to the right side of the screen (preferably with the pop-out button in the bottom-right), it wouldn't be as bad. Instead, even a small-ish phone like the 920 almost requires two-hand use, thanks to poor design. I feel like I'm just using a slightly better version of Android, but with fewer apps, at times. Navigation and multi-tasking are clunky, the music player's a pile of steaming ****, and it's all quite frustrating.
    ChrisZA, Joe920, eryvile and 1 others like this.
    08-23-2015 01:25 PM
    Getting irritated with w10m now! Installed on day 1, and yesterday I HAD to do a hard reset. Incoming call bug (phone gets sluggish) got sooooo bad that phone wouldn't even respond to power button properly.
    So hard reset took freakin ages (backup was dated yesterday but clearly was more like the last 8.2 one), I paused all downloads and resumed only those I wanted now, but Store app managed to lose all those ones I'd started, and now today I get the massive battery drain issue linked to my google mail account continuously syncing! It nealry a full day later and I'm still not up and running <grrrr>
    Yeah yeah yeah...shouldn;t have it on my daily driver...but I'm developing so no choice.
    08-27-2015 01:47 AM
    Had it sibce day one, worked beautifully, however, the last week ive been having some issues, all seems to be linked to overheating. The moment the phone heats up, its slugish, as can be expected however, this amount of heat cannot be healthy. Thinking about a hard reset, but rather hoping for a new release sparing me the two times resetting. Anyone else experiencing the overheating after a while?
    08-27-2015 06:36 AM
    Getting irritated with w10m now! Installed on day 1, and yesterday I HAD to do a hard reset. Incoming call bug (phone gets sluggish) got sooooo bad that phone wouldn't even respond to power button properly.
    So hard reset took freakin ages (backup was dated yesterday but clearly was more like the last 8.2 one), I paused all downloads and resumed only those I wanted now, but Store app managed to lose all those ones I'd started, and now today I get the massive battery drain issue linked to my google mail account continuously syncing! It nealry a full day later and I'm still not up and running <grrrr>
    Yeah yeah yeah...shouldn;t have it on my daily driver...but I'm developing so no choice.
    Chris I see your name tag includes ZA, you from south africa? If yes, ive also started experiencing overheating issues, think it may be due to the seasons changing? Its allot hotter than it was two weeks ago. How is your experience after the hard reset, worth it?
    08-27-2015 06:38 AM
    Got a couple of good chuckles out of this rant, thanks. :) Hopefully at least about half of those are going to be fixed by the time RTM rolls around but for now I have to agree that it's one step forward, ten steps back. The W10m previews have felt a lot more alpha than the WP8.1 preview builds ever did. As for the mail app, that's pretty terrible on the desktop too, I'm really amazed they let 65 million Windows 10 users try that out. Hey, at least MS will be getting a LOT of feedback on the mail app from desktop users!
    Well, the WP8.1 previews were coming from not just a finished OS, but from one that had, like, a year of post-launch development behind it. W10M still isn't a released OS, so there should be an expectation of bugs and incomplete features .The problems I have are with the overall design philosophies (pop-out menus basically add 1-2 steps to everything you do), and things like Microsoft's announcements that the Android compiler won't be ready until 2016. It's asinine to have key features be well-off from the launch of the OS.
    08-29-2015 09:14 AM
    I just installed the latest preview on my 730, Ive a issue, the navigation bar keeps vibrating. The Display+Touch app is no longer available for W10M. Neither Extras. Please help me. I also went back to 8.1 via Recovery tool and again updated to WM10 still the problem is there. The vibration thing in Nav bar is driving me crazy.
    08-29-2015 12:15 PM
    I'm using Windows Mobile 10 since the Build 10049 in my Lumia 830 and I dont know if is a problem with my phone or if this lastest build introduced a huge bug!!
    My phone many times dont wake up anymore (double Touch or press the power button), apps dont open (including Action Center). I have to soft reset the phone sometimes 10 times to make it work again, even for some minutes and then it comes back! Is annoying! Sometimes it takes 30min to me to open WhatsApp, load some conversation and then answer someone!
    08-31-2015 01:10 PM
    Is there a way to change the contacts pictures from circles back to squares? I hate the Google+ look.
    09-05-2015 09:50 PM
    Is there a way to change the contacts pictures from circles back to squares? I hate the Google+ look.
    One of the dumbest things MS did, Yeah, I get polling customers and doing what the majority say but the majority more often than not regrets what they wished for; just look at our elected officials. Plus the majority are not experts on ergonomics or aesthetics, etc. You need to have people who are competent decide which customer "likes" work well with the rest of the whole. Not to mention I have a bunch of square headed friends. So when someone like David Coultard calls, I don't know who it is anymore with all four corners of his face lopped off.
    Kram Sacul and Marc Baldry like this.
    09-06-2015 06:02 AM
    MS listened to me with the tiles number ( http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...tm#post2024910 ), maybe they will listen this time too.
    Last edited by pechio; 09-08-2015 at 07:32 PM.
    09-07-2015 09:05 PM
    I had the same exact issue, after a week of working perfectly my phone starts not responding, not opening apps, need a lot of time to do anything and overheats significantly.

At the end decided to hard reset and now it is working as it is supposed, I guess that some task might get stuck and makes the phone to not work properly. I hope a new build resolves this issue, because hard reseting is a pain in the ***.
    09-08-2015 03:23 AM
    after 2 days on lumia 920

after the update (from 8.1 directly to 10536 ) i did a hard reset.

first: day everything looks great and smooth

second day : i noticed a delay in showing the time and date in the lock screen and a delay to unlock the screen with pin code, some times after i unlock the screen all the tabs show no icons only colors for a while, and the resuming screen shows some times.

in one hand mode you can't scroll to the end of the start screen or the app list
    09-17-2015 09:03 AM
    If these builds are doing something then they degenerate over time. I wonder how they achieved it :D It usually happens when I do not turn off the phone for a while. So I guess it could be a memory management problem or things in memory get corrupted or whatever. Sometimes when I cannot open some app or a setting I close all the apps sitting suspended in the memory and the setting works again. I do not do a hard reset anymore. When phone starts acting up, I turn it off and on and it's usually enough.
    09-20-2015 02:50 AM
    Running it on my xl and it honestly isn't that bad. It is my daily driver now. My main issues are it is still a bit slow and the lack of being able to attach photos to apps like kik and telegram is annoying. Edge needs some more work.

Right now the OS is a solid 7
    09-22-2015 12:19 PM
    Running it on my xl and it honestly isn't that bad. It is my daily driver now. My main issues are it is still a bit slow and the lack of being able to attach photos to apps like kik and telegram is annoying. Edge needs some more work.

Right now the OS is a solid 7
    You mean a solid 5? You used it for a few days and you can already decide?
    Mate, after a week or so the builds tend to become heavy on the phone, idk what they do but the phone becomes sluggish.
    This build 10536 is the worse than previous. Sometimes the screen when it is unlocked, it shows all tiles blank, and after 20 seconds it populates the name and icon for each tile.
    For me the GSM signal is constantly off, only on this build for 930.
    There are a lot of issues that showed up only after a week.
    Definitly not a 7, for sure a 5.
    09-23-2015 01:29 AM
    Tend to disagree with you, funnily enough, my experience has been quite the opposite, I never felt it is worse than 512, as a matter of fact I'm running the latest build on my 930 since day one without any mayor issue, some minor problems with couple of 3rd party apps and inability to select photo from most of them but that's something I can live with as long as everything else perform well..
    09-23-2015 01:43 AM
    I cannot use my #tileart, and I cannot change my lockscreen setting. And battery apps cannot be tiled on my startscreen.
    09-24-2015 05:21 PM
    I waited 2 days to write some review. I installed build 10536 from 8.1 on L640 and my first impression was awesome. Now, during some working time I'm starting to notice some bugs. My biggest problem is that I can't open Photos app. There is also a lot of errors in store. Tried with restart but it's not working. Can't place Alarms and Clock live tile to start and there is some delay with placing anything to start. Lot of apps I used is still not working and battery usage is just a little bit increased.

wp_ss_20150925_0001-1-.png
    wp_ss_20150925_0002-1-.png
    09-25-2015 02:47 AM
    You mean a solid 5? You used it for a few days and you can already decide?
    Mate, after a week or so the builds tend to become heavy on the phone, idk what they do but the phone becomes sluggish.
    This build 10536 is the worse than previous. Sometimes the screen when it is unlocked, it shows all tiles blank, and after 20 seconds it populates the name and icon for each tile.
    For me the GSM signal is constantly off, only on this build for 930.
    There are a lot of issues that showed up only after a week.
    Definitly not a 7, for sure a 5.
    How exactly are you going to tell someone else what their opinion and rating should be?
    that's like me saying I hate Chicken and you tell me "You had chicken once? No..chicken isn't bad. You like chicken."

Seriously?
    rollindice likes this.
    09-27-2015 05:16 PM
    @SaltCityBoy nice start screen there.

Over the weekend the old Loading... start screen started on my L1520. It's pretty annoying, because each time I had to restart the phone. I thought Gabe Aul said it was fixed. This is not good enough, Microsoft needs to get their **** together. It does not matter how good the OS looks on paper if there is a bug since the very beginning that makes it unusable. Yeah yeah, preview and all that jazz, but this is a big thing for a user and if they want a feedback on the rest of the OS, they need to fix bugs in a part that everyone goes through to the other functionality.
    Susmit257 and SaltCityBoy like this.
    09-28-2015 01:29 AM
    Embarrassing.

That's my opinion of Windows 10 Mobile.

Every build comes with the loading... bug for the start screen. My Lumia 1020 runs waaaaay hotter than it did with WP 8/8.1. Apps are frustratingly slow to launch, IF they launch. The Windows Central app is taking the top spot. It can take minutes to start!

And I'm on the latest build. But my Experience has been that I'm not seeing any improvement from 1 build to the next. Are you kidding me, that a company like Microsoft cannot eradicate a bug that prevents a Phone from showing the startscreen when it starts???

Embarrassing, really embarrassing. This OS is nowhere near finished, it's net even near beta or even alpha status. What Microsoft is doing I have no idea!

I'm AGAIN going back to WP 8.1. I'm done with the frustration WP 10 delivers.
    Susmit257 likes this.
    09-30-2015 01:17 AM
    The loading bug on my 1520.3 seems to progressively worsen over time. Hard reset after 10512 but only soft reset after 10536.1004. Anyway, decided to try another soft reset when loading got so prolonged I had resorted to Cortana to open apps. This time I chose not to restore from backup during the reset. Also have reduced the number of tiles on start to less than one full screen. Also minimized the number of "live" tiles opting instead to keep most "dead" in order to reduce background load. I now only have an occasional 'resuming' screen and rare but brief 'loading' screen. But this is at the expense of what for me is the beauty of WP (the live tiles and easy access to multiple apps on start screen). Hope the bug is fixed soon so I can once again utilize start screen in an unrestricted fashion.
    10-01-2015 07:27 AM
322 ... 56789 ...