W10M User Reviews and Impressions!

chuckdaly

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I installed 10166 on my 1520 on 7/12 and there are far fewer bugs than I had anticipated. My 1520 is my daily driver. There are plenty of folk here writing about the bugs, so I won't, but I just wanted to share some of my observations:

Store Beta: I like it, especially the ability to see previously downloaded apps.

Groove Music: Utter garbage. I either get a blank screen, which I have to press the hamburger menu to access my music, or I have to scroll through all of my downloaded podcasts before I can get to the albums starting with the letter A. I've moved on to another app.

Edge Browser: Awesome. Its fast. I haven't used it much, but every site I've gone to has loaded. on IE for WP8.1, only about half of sites will load properly. God forbid you visit a site like TheVerge.

Cortana: I haven't noticed much difference except the music search which requires you to press the hamburger menu, then select Music Search from a menu. By the time I do all of that, I risk missing the song completely, or not enough of the song plays for the app to recognize it.

MMS: This tripped me out. I received a photo from my wife, and when I pressed on the photo to see it full screen, a white screen popped up asking which app I wanted to use to open the photo. (The only option was the Photo app) What is this Android: Ice Cream Sandwich? I haven't found a way to even set a default app.

Phone: NO signal strength meter when making a call. Are you the in a bad location or the other person. No way to truly know.

Overall impressions: W10 mobile is a very Android-esque experience. The font and icons are very similar to ones Oppo uses for their Color OS. Whether or not you like the hamburger menu, you will find your self pressing it a lot. With smaller font/icons, and many options hidden in the menu, most menu screens are half empty. On the people App, only a third of the screen is used. I'll keep using it until W10 Mobile launches or I move to Android because its definitely works as a Primer. If my thoughts change, I will post them.

Michael_JL

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Installed latest build on Lumia 1520 and 920. 920 has no additional app and runs fine. 1520 not so good, doesn't matter whether a clean install (hard reset) or upgrade... overheats, battery life not good, Lockscreen hanging on "loading" or "resuming", no Cortana passive voice (perhaps not implemented yet), no glance Screen settings (Yes I know the workaround) - when upgrading I have Glance in settings menu and all IE favorites transfer over and can still access my desktop Edge favorites but still slow OS and other problems as mentioned above. After hard reset - Favorites do not carry over, no Glance in settings menu, and Cortana passive voice not working in either install method. I have tried ALL install methods - hard reset, etc - makes no difference. Actually my best experience was the upgrade method without a hard reset. Now.....if I do not add any more apps to the start screen the lock screen lag disappears. I like the direction the OS is going but it still needs a lot of work before it could be used prime time.

lewiedude

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Performed well, thus far. Seemingly a very long time with spinning gears and "full status bar" at bottom of screen - was in process of loading W10 x166. How long should I let them spin with the full status bar? Should I soft reset?

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I want to try this on my main 640XL but I have some questions please.

1 - Do notifications work or not?

2 - I am guessing it doesn't support the Microsoft Band yet, correct?

3 - Does Office work? My friend said Office disappeared for them after upgrading.

4 - Does anyone know if apps like LINE and Facebook work or do they have issues?

Many thanks.

Ian

architxt

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Overall, not impressed. But it's early days and will reserve my opinion for the proper release.

While the UX is sharper I think that it's a compromise on what was a strong, consistent offering.

Some of the core apps have improved marginally, in the context of a bigger issue with the number and quality of apps.

What I'd like to see is deep integration with my desktop and tablets Beyond shared files on OneDrive. And functions that make me work better with productivity tools I use, Office and not.

I'll be replacing my 930 in November. By then I should be able to know if I'm sticking with Win 10 Mobile or going to Android.

mr_fomo

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
>1 - Do notifications work or not?
Yes, no problems so far

>3 - Does Office work? My friend said Office disappeared for them after upgrading.
The "old" WP 8.1 version of Office does indeed disappear. That said, you can download the office preview versions instead, all which are vastly superior to the regular 8.1 versions.

Everything runs quite well on the 640 XL ... so far. For me the new OS feels like the perfect mix of IOS and Android in terms of look&feel, ease of use and user empowerment.
The new keyboard is interesting - the small embedded joystick could prove useful. And the layout - at least to me - is close enough to the iPhone ditto to increase my typing speed measurably.
Had to hard reset a couple of times. Once after apps installed on the SD card somehow got "disconnected" in the OS.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
>1 - Do notifications work or not?
Yes, no problems so far

>3 - Does Office work? My friend said Office disappeared for them after upgrading.
The "old" WP 8.1 version of Office does indeed disappear. That said, you can download the office preview versions instead, all which are vastly superior to the regular 8.1 versions.

Everything runs quite well on the 640 XL ... so far. For me the new OS feels like the perfect mix of IOS and Android in terms of look&feel, ease of use and user empowerment.
The new keyboard is interesting - the small embedded joystick could prove useful. And the layout - at least to me - is close enough to the iPhone ditto to increase my typing speed measurably.
Had to hard reset a couple of times. Once after apps installed on the SD card somehow got "disconnected" in the OS.

I don't suppose it works with the Microsoft Band yet, right?

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I hope a new build is coming soon. I have 10166 since the beginning and it was nice, but last few days it started to degenerate, probably due to app updates.

1. I have 3 maiboxes pinned separately and it used to work nicely. Now when I tap on any of them it just takes me "somewhere", picks one at random.

2. Sound did not work with text messages. But I found out that if I set a sound per contact it would play it. Not anymore, today I missed 2 texts, because no sound was played.

3. I have a pin set and when I swipe by mistake before entering the PIN, phone locks up and stops reacting. The only way to make it react again is to shut it down with power+volume down and start it again.

anon(3463402)

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Build 10512 works nice but there are some fundamental things missing (again):

- Universal folders in Mail (This is stupid and useless app without this)

- Month view in Calendar (make it be CALENDAR too, not planner only)

- Glance Screen (Lumias has no LED notifications, so Glance Screen is must have)

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
The unbalanced UI for some default apps and settings in windows 10 mobile drive me crazy to a point i don't want to use my phone its like they designed a 2015 BMW and when they reached production level they decided to put wheels, lights and interior of a Mazda from the 90's

Last edited:

okizen

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
I have found a couple of annoying issues, (for me), so far and that is the default system text font and the numeric keypad for dialing is way, way too small.

mprebich

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 for Phones Reviews and Impressions

This build has let me down. I expected more after the time lag, after the 2000 fixes, etc.

[1] I still get the "Loading..." on occasion switching back to the Start screen; when I do, it usually goes on for minutes, even a reboot doesn't do anything, I just have to let it run its course and wait until it comes back (that's fit and finish? that's poor basic core functioning) - as I read somewhere, it seems to start to occur again (since 10166) after I grouped tiles into a folder.

[2] VPN unusable - the only provider available for me is "Windows (built-in)", when I select type as L2TP/IP, the type of sign-in info dropdown doesn't include Username + PW + Presharekey (preshare key is missing). Useless without that option, as every VPN app/service that I have used requires a Preshare key.

[3] Mail has been terrible, constant sync problems, keeps asking for my account PW and then errors. Finally, it sync'd overnight while I was asleep, when I try to force it to sync, I get the error again.

[4] Groove Music Pass - where the hell is it?? There is no ability to download new albums from the store. Even when signed-in, it still shows me a price, and doesn't recognize my Pass.

[5] Store, in general - although improved, it seems to take forever to download and install apps, Also, I really miss the "Lumia Collection"; I can't figure out which camera is which, what Lumia apps still work, whether there was a replacement or it was just dropped since 8.1, etc.

WOW features (even though both i and A do this already)

* Digital audio output - I want to use an external DAC to listen to music properly (not through the $2 chip in the phone)

* OTG

Karkadann

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia 920 was fast and usable in the previous build, but after the 2000+ fixes, it sucks. Some of the problems I'm facing:

1. When I double tap the screen of press the power button to light up the screen, it shows the lockscreen background only. No clock or notifications, and reduced bright for like 1 or 2 seconds, and then everything appears.

2. I've faced a bug with the start screen where , after placing 6 small tiles in a line, if I resize one of them to m?dium size, chaos will be created. The Facebook Messenger tile was showing inside the WhatsApp tile. I've submited the bug with screenshots to MS but after some resets it seems I can't reproduce this error anymore.

3. Some bugs in the store: at first it wasn't showing my apps in my library. It was like I've only had Candy Crush (wich I've never downloaded), Twitter and 2 or 3 other apps. After a hard reset, my apps showed up. Well, after more bugs, I've reseted the phone again, and now, when I enter My Library and press the "show all apps", it keeps loading forever. It never finishes. When I press the "hamburger" icon on the top left, the animation for the sidebar is broke too. Only a vertical blakc stripe animates and then the rest of the menu shows up.

Well, I'm not sure what MS has fixed, but they also broke a lot of stuff for me, so I'm returning to the 8.1 until a next build shows up. I've submited those bugs to MS already.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss