W10M User Reviews and Impressions!

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 920 was fast and usable in the previous build, but after the 2000+ fixes, it sucks. Some of the problems I'm facing:

1. When I double tap the screen of press the power button to light up the screen, it shows the lockscreen background only. No clock or notifications, and reduced bright for like 1 or 2 seconds, and then everything appears.

I'm having the same problem, and even Daniel is (he mentioned it in his First Impressions article a few days ago). The good thing is, though, that you can still swipe up to unlock, you don't have to wait those 1 to 3 seconds.

fjordstrom

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Cannot edit photos with this build (same problem in an earlier build which was resolved in build 10166), even after reverting to 8.1 and re-upgrading + resetting after upgrade to 10512.
Going back to 10166 and switching to slow ring.

(on Lumia 930)

Last edited:

codytebaldi

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I like that MS is finally adding printing ability to the phone. I've noticed Print options in Maps, and also in Word. It can't find my printer (yet), but the print-to-PDF side works, for what it's worth. Happy to see that being worked on.

I think the user interface gorgeous. I agree that the phone dial pad could be bigger, but that's probably the only thing I'd want them to change significantly, GUI-wise.

Also, important bug: hitting the back arrow doesn't quit apps. Hold it down, and have a look at all the apps you've had open since the last time you turned on the phone. At least you can close them that way, though.

lumia630buddy

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi,I am using a Lumia 630 and I wish to enroll as an insider.630 is my primary device, so is it okay to install a technical preview on my phone. Should I opt for fast or slow ring?

codytebaldi

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, I wouldn't if it's your only phone. I'm playing with it on a spare 635 (without a sim card). From what I've heard, the actual phone functions themselves (phone, messaging, contacts) work with no real problems; but otherwise the OS is going to be a little sticky, occasionally glitchy. Some apps might not work correctly, or even at all, or might suddenly quit for no reason. If you're willing to deal with that on a phone you're carrying around and using a lot then go for it - but if you like having a completely and reliably functional smartphone you might just as well want to sit the preview out and wait until RTM.

lumia630buddy

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Yes,I understand the risks, but its quite an adventure.A friend of mine did it on his only phone(a 535) and said it is somewhat okay.
I use my phone mostly for using WhatsApp, Facebook, watching videos and listening to music.I think these can be done without any glitch while using a technical preview. Can I?

lumia630buddy

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Yes,I know the risks but its quite an adventure.My friend has install it on his daily drive(a 535)and said he has not yet encountered any serious problems.I mainly use my phone for WhatsApp,facebook and lots and lots of music and videos.
So,should I opt for fast or slow ring?

Marifaz

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Just installed the TP yesterday. After one day of use... It actually hasn't given me any error or hasn't crashed once. I'm running it on my Lumia 1020 (build 10512).

Few loading screens for some apps.
Cortana doesn't work(cannot enable her-the toggle is locked)
Mic speech to text doesn't work yet.
Store app takes a bit longer than usual to load and while navigating through it.

Overall it's a great experience. I can't see my self going back to 8.1 from here. It's just so refreshed and clean(the UI)

lumiafeeder

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
Just installed the TP yesterday. After one day of use... It actually hasn't given me any error or hasn't crashed once. I'm running it on my Lumia 1020 (build 10512).

Few loading screens for some apps.
Cortana doesn't work(cannot enable her-the toggle is locked)
Mic speech to text doesn't work yet.
Store app takes a bit longer than usual to load and while navigating through it.

Overall it's a great experience. I can't see my self going back to 8.1 from here. It's just so refreshed and clean(the UI)

Did You do a hard reset and restore backup?

Mark Richey

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Running this build on my 930 and it is a definite improvement. However, many of the issues above and more remain. What I have found for issues, your mileage may vary:

1) Edge is somewhat broken. I have a site I used to grab on 10166 with no problem for reserving my express train tickets daily. I always enter through OneNote as it has my URL and user number (I only have to remember the pin then). Now, when trying to select the date in the dropdown, it freezes for a moment, and then reloads the page. After about the third time, it displays a message indicating the number failed attempts.

2) The Store keeps downloading and updating the same app on a daily basis. Without fail.

3) The Podcast app I am using, iPodcast, on the first launch does not open completely. Closing and reopening ALWAYS brings this to the proper screen. As I noted, this is all since upgrading as it was not present I 10166.

4) My 930 now gets incredibly hot during some functions. More so than before to the point of the aluminum band being uncomfortable.

5) Camera and photos are hit and miss. At times, it doesn't seem the collection is updated, and some software I use will not include photos despite repeated attempts to add the images.

I expect to see another build soon, and likely the final version available in a matter of weeks. If there were over 2000 bugs squashed in this version, I expect a ton of fixes, from the lag in the lock screen to the crazy store issues to be fixed momentarily. I am running this on my daily driver, and receiving and making calls has been flawless. Edge is my biggest concern, with general handling of apps a second place runner.

sraina

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
>1 - Do notifications work or not?
Yes, no problems so far

>3 - Does Office work? My friend said Office disappeared for them after upgrading.
The "old" WP 8.1 version of Office does indeed disappear. That said, you can download the office preview versions instead, all which are vastly superior to the regular 8.1 versions.

Everything runs quite well on the 640 XL ... so far. For me the new OS feels like the perfect mix of IOS and Android in terms of look&feel, ease of use and user empowerment.
The new keyboard is interesting - the small embedded joystick could prove useful. And the layout - at least to me - is close enough to the iPhone ditto to increase my typing speed measurably.
Had to hard reset a couple of times. Once after apps installed on the SD card somehow got "disconnected" in the OS.

Since you are running this on the 640 XL, could you please do me a favor and check to see if you have contacts history in the people hub i.e. look for a contact, see their social media updates and most importantly be able to see your interaction history with the contact (emails, SMS and Voicecalls). Much appreciate your help in checking this.

logic2

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Yes,I know the risks but its quite an adventure.My friend has install it on his daily drive(a 535)and said he has not yet encountered any serious problems.I mainly use my phone for WhatsApp,facebook and lots and lots of music and videos.
So,should I opt for fast or slow ring?

I have it installed on my 640, runs p perfectly, two notes though
1- you have to reset the phone after upgrade to the latest 10512 build for it to run smoothly, same thing happened for build 10166 (which is what you will get on slow ring)
2- that latest build doesn't support tethering.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been using this on my 920 for a week or two now. If I were to rate it, I'd probably give it something like a 6/10. I don't feel like much of anything is improved from WP8.1, but a LOT of things are worse. Some key things:

--I didn't think the last iteration of Xbox Music could be made into a worse app, but Groove Music has pulled it off. Loading in new music isn't any faster than it used to be, in my brief experience. They took out the artist-specific song view, a feature I used a LOT. The pop-out menu is trash, and conceptually awful for touch-based navigation. It feels like something met for a mouse. Having the Now Playing thing follow you through menus is cool, right up until you want to select something at the bottom of a screen, and it partially blocks what you're trying to reach. Oh, and don't forget that the live tile doesn't work and the lockscreen functionality is apparently gone. Given that the music player is BY FAR my most-used app on mobile, these problems are a major deal to me.

--E-mail is horrendous on Windows 10. Why is everything thrown into Outlook, which I have no interest in touching with a 10-foot pole? I liked pinning my individual e-mail accounts with WP8.1, while also having lockscreen notifications for them. Now, it's all a giant mess in one tile, and I have to use the stupid pop-out menu to navigate between accounts. Productivity is down in e-mail, to the point I honestly don't even bother checking my e-mail on my phone much anymore. I used to get my alerts and check stuff ALL THE TIME on my phone, but it's such a chore I can't be bothered with it anymore.

--Is there some way to change text tones in W10M? I didn't see it, and the alert sounds are SO BAD in this OS. I hate getting texts because my phone is so annoying now. What's more, after having different alert tones for different apps, they're all the same, and I hate that. I don't know if I got something important or trivial on my phone.

--The Outlook Calendar app blows. I don't want something tied to my e-mail. I want the old app back. For starters, the app list icon is broken, so it's an empty tile. Switching between months is tedious because of the touchy flip controls that make no logical sense. Oh, I want to go to the next month? That's too bad, because slowly swiping up doesn't send me to September, it sends me to next January.

--Multi-tasking is worse as well. For some reason, they think that backing out of an app means it should go into the multi-tasking buffer, rather than closing it. Too often do I want to get something I deliberately suspended back up, only to have it buried behind 3-4 things I tried to close, but they were put into the multi-tasking window. Oh, and why was it moved from the left to the right, to copy Apple? Pointless visual change that makes usability for loyal users worse, classic Microsoft.

--The browser's much worse. It loves to open tabs for no good reason, leaving the tabs pane a mess. I hate it SO much. Plus, I didn't see a way to set a home page, and that idiotic "Browser for Doing" default page just makes me hate Edge all the more (don't get me started on how disjointed and weird it is on the desktop).

--The Xbox app seems to be worse than the Xbox One SmartGlass beta app. I uninstalled the latter, thinking the former would be the go-to solution for connecting to my One. Now, I might go reinstall the SmartGlass beta because I hate the Xbox app so much.

--The Glance app functionality isn't working, so I no longer get weather info on my lock screen. That's quite annoying.

--Why can't I swipe to the right to dismiss toast notifications as the appear anymore? I guess convenience is the enemy of W10.

--All of this leads to one last thing that the previous 8.1 update screwed me with: TOO MANY APPS. They've broken everything down into a system app that I can't stand. I don't want 15 pointless apps in my app list. I don't need a Cortana app, Cortana does nothing for me (literally the only thing it's done for me is get rid of the lockscreen-to-Bing shortcut, which was another backwards step for the OS, to me). I'm not going to call customer support, so I can't see why I have the app. I don't listen to the radio, so that app could gladly leave. I count 10 system apps on this OS that I want to remove from my phone, but can't. It's Android-level clutter, and I hate it.

There really isn't much to say about W10M that's an upgrade. I guess the built-in flashlight is nice, but it's strangely NOT an app I can pin. Dragging down the Action Center to use the flashlight's kind of annoying. The new, bigger set of quick-action icons would be nice, if it were able to be fully customized. There are 16 things in the expanded quick action area, but only 5 of them meaningfully interest me. I'd like if I could both hide the undesirable ones altogether AND move the "All Settings" one back to the bottom-right from the top-4 action row. Tucked in with the rest, it's an inconvenience, so I instead pinned a tile for it and use that. That the new Maps app includes 3-D maps, a la StreetView, is nice, but not a frequent-enough feature to really move the needle for me.

Overall, W10M is a cluttered mess. It's killed so much of the WP convenience, especially with the switch from swipe-based navigation to pop-out menus. If you could AT LEAST re-position them to the right side of the screen (preferably with the pop-out button in the bottom-right), it wouldn't be as bad. Instead, even a small-ish phone like the 920 almost requires two-hand use, thanks to poor design. I feel like I'm just using a slightly better version of Android, but with fewer apps, at times. Navigation and multi-tasking are clunky, the music player's a pile of steaming ****, and it's all quite frustrating.

ChrisZA

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 for Phones Reviews and Impressions

Getting irritated with w10m now! Installed on day 1, and yesterday I HAD to do a hard reset. Incoming call bug (phone gets sluggish) got sooooo bad that phone wouldn't even respond to power button properly.
So hard reset took freakin ages (backup was dated yesterday but clearly was more like the last 8.2 one), I paused all downloads and resumed only those I wanted now, but Store app managed to lose all those ones I'd started, and now today I get the massive battery drain issue linked to my google mail account continuously syncing! It nealry a full day later and I'm still not up and running <grrrr>
Yeah yeah yeah...shouldn;t have it on my daily driver...but I'm developing so no choice.

Adolf Kleinhans

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Had it sibce day one, worked beautifully, however, the last week ive been having some issues, all seems to be linked to overheating. The moment the phone heats up, its slugish, as can be expected however, this amount of heat cannot be healthy. Thinking about a hard reset, but rather hoping for a new release sparing me the two times resetting. Anyone else experiencing the overheating after a while?

Adolf Kleinhans

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 for Phones Reviews and Impressions

Getting irritated with w10m now! Installed on day 1, and yesterday I HAD to do a hard reset. Incoming call bug (phone gets sluggish) got sooooo bad that phone wouldn't even respond to power button properly.
So hard reset took freakin ages (backup was dated yesterday but clearly was more like the last 8.2 one), I paused all downloads and resumed only those I wanted now, but Store app managed to lose all those ones I'd started, and now today I get the massive battery drain issue linked to my google mail account continuously syncing! It nealry a full day later and I'm still not up and running <grrrr>
Yeah yeah yeah...shouldn;t have it on my daily driver...but I'm developing so no choice.

Chris I see your name tag includes ZA, you from south africa? If yes, ive also started experiencing overheating issues, think it may be due to the seasons changing? Its allot hotter than it was two weeks ago. How is your experience after the hard reset, worth it?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Got a couple of good chuckles out of this rant, thanks. :) Hopefully at least about half of those are going to be fixed by the time RTM rolls around but for now I have to agree that it's one step forward, ten steps back. The W10m previews have felt a lot more alpha than the WP8.1 preview builds ever did. As for the mail app, that's pretty terrible on the desktop too, I'm really amazed they let 65 million Windows 10 users try that out. Hey, at least MS will be getting a LOT of feedback on the mail app from desktop users!

Well, the WP8.1 previews were coming from not just a finished OS, but from one that had, like, a year of post-launch development behind it. W10M still isn't a released OS, so there should be an expectation of bugs and incomplete features .The problems I have are with the overall design philosophies (pop-out menus basically add 1-2 steps to everything you do), and things like Microsoft's announcements that the Android compiler won't be ready until 2016. It's asinine to have key features be well-off from the launch of the OS.

Jignesh Gandhi

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I just installed the latest preview on my 730, Ive a issue, the navigation bar keeps vibrating. The Display+Touch app is no longer available for W10M. Neither Extras. Please help me. I also went back to 8.1 via Recovery tool and again updated to WM10 still the problem is there. The vibration thing in Nav bar is driving me crazy.

GuilhermeManso

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm using Windows Mobile 10 since the Build 10049 in my Lumia 830 and I dont know if is a problem with my phone or if this lastest build introduced a huge bug!!
My phone many times dont wake up anymore (double Touch or press the power button), apps dont open (including Action Center). I have to soft reset the phone sometimes 10 times to make it work again, even for some minutes and then it comes back! Is annoying! Sometimes it takes 30min to me to open WhatsApp, load some conversation and then answer someone!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb