W10M User Reviews and Impressions!

zapppa83

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
I was satisfied with W10 but...

when i rollback due high battery drain i can say that i love much more 8.1 and it's better, i like too much the old graphics with pivots ,the mail, 1 minute to configure 3mail to 1 inbox. I miss only WIN 10 notifications and start background. for the rest i prefer 8.1....until now

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Are all opened apps "tombstoned" now? The back button no longer closes the app in it's entirety - the first time I held the back button, I saw all my opened apps were still - open.

I hate that. It's iOSque.

hink3000

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Installed on my Lumia 925. Definitely a beta which I hope will dramatically improve in future builds up to the final. Here are some of my impressions.

- several store apps don't work properly or at all. Cannot sign into my YouTube account in Metrotube. Tried TouchTube as well. Some apps just crash on every startup I.e.SimpiRSS.

- Glance Screen in settings is unselectable. Will not open at all. Battery Saver used to have a pinable live tile. It's gone from my list of apps. Insider Hub doesn't open.

- Rant on hamburger menus. One thing that set WP apart was the lack of the hamburger in favor of the . . . at the bottom right, easy for thumb access. The placement of the HB in the top left is unacceptable. I've submitted to Feedback to go back to the pancake.

- In Outlook Mail. I can't pin my individual mailboxes to my start screen. Needs a dark theme. Blue title bar should be at bottom of screen.

- People. Not sure I like the minimalistic theme. Selecting a letter heading does not bring up the entire alphabet for easy moving to another group.

- New Cortana theme is atrocious. It wasn't broken before. Don't change something just for change sake. Search results seem worse. Or maybe it's just the new view.

I do understand that this is a beta. Not b*tching. Just pointing out my observations.

I hope a new build comes soon.

fueledbygin

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 for Phones Reviews and Impressions

I'm generally a lot higher on it than I thought I'd be. It's slow as molasses and very rough around the edges (ran it on a 1020), but it's a tech preview and I'm assuming the vast majority of my "issues" with it are of the type that will be resolved as they apply polish.

I'm super high that they're finally looking to bring us a modern email, messenging, and calendar app. They've all currently got a lot of limitations in the tech preview, but it's fairly obvious those will be resolved before release, as it wouldn't make any sense for mail to not have notifications, as an example, so I have no real problems there, but did have to go back to 8.1 because I simply can't use a phone without email notifications. Which I have no problem with. It is a tech preview, and it assuaged some of my biggest fears going in.

Contacts (Persons) has a bunch of limitations that one can make an educated guess are polish issues that will get resolved, ie: no setting personal ringtones, etc. I like the aesthetics there as well, pushing it to a more modern look.

Honestly, I was imagining the tech preview would be a huge mess, as the idea of one windows on all devices didn't jive particularly well with all their previous attempts to run windows on a wide range of devices (ie: the netbook fiasco), and while the tech preview is super slow, it doesn't seem super slow as in the OS obviously is ridiculously too much for it (ie: netbooks fiasco), but as in it's in its early stages and horribly optimized. I mean, I could be wrong, and the release version will be super slow, but the OS on phones doesn't really look like it's Windows 10 on a desktop that is now running on a phone (ie: netbooks fiasco), so I'm pretty optimistic on my greatest point of skepticism that Windows Phone 10 will run just fine.

Now, while I'm fairly optimistic of Windows Phone 10 as an OS, after experiencing the tech preview, I don't think there's any simple answers for the huge app gap (and, I'm not talking about total numbers, I'm talking about the gap in apps you might actually use that your peers/friends use), and the lack of what I would consider a real commitment from Microsoft (ie: like how they approached the video game industry with the Xbox) doesn't inspire me with a lot of confidence, nor does the lack of higher end phones. There's a fairly decent likelihood I'll be making a jump to Android in the next few months, and keeping an eye on Windows Phone 10 and its phones for a potential return when that Android phone is eligible for an upgrade.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Its too difficult to judge right now because its buggy and slow and things are just incomplete to say the least. As far as hamburger menus and some of the other lame gripes, doesn't bother me. Especially since the entire experience is hindered right now due to incompleteness and bugs. I stopped playing with it two days after release. Not functional enough yet.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the link djeire84....
As long my phone hasn't transformed into a brick, I'm ok with whatever the Info+ say!!!

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I had to remove the first W10 version from my L635 because the speech setting to have the phone announce, read and allow voice answers for texts was missing. I could have lived with the other bugs and quirks but I'd rather lose the ability to phone, listen to music, or just about anything else rather than that. I have since loaned my 635 to a relative but would like to know if they fixed that in the latest release for when I get the 635 back.

TheHouseBunny

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Is W10 good enough to use as a "daily driver" yet?
I'm thinking of installing it on my Lumia 1520, but I'm not sure.

The stuff that needs to work are call, sms, facebook, twitter, instagram (6tag), music and maybe moliplayer pro.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Is W10 good enough to use as a "daily driver" yet?
I'm thinking of installing it on my Lumia 1520, but I'm not sure.

The stuff that needs to work are call, sms, facebook, twitter, instagram (6tag), music and maybe moliplayer pro.

All these apps will work flawlessly but the battery life might be lower as WP10 is pre release software.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Now that Microsoft plans are revealed

Just installed it on my ICON & after a hard reset to get rid of the reboot loop & a soft reset to get rid of the long loading & resuming screens & app crashes. It is pretty stable so far. I actually like were the new UI is going . Of course it has not permeate through out the entire OS yet but I see where its going & like it. Don't get what all the fuss is about the "Hamburger" menu. All in all it's about what I thought it would a Alpha OS that is still rough but making steady progress.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea