W10M User Reviews and Impressions!

fueledbygin

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Some quick thoughts on this recent build (10080) on a 1020:

1) Much, much, MUCH smoother/faster. Still some "lag" at times, but a huge improvement over the previous build. Night and day difference.

2) Email notifications still don't work. This is critical for me, so I've gone ahead and reverted back to 8.1 update 2.

It's a short list. There isn't a whole lot that immediately jumps out as having changed, other than it being far smoother. There's some transparency on the Start menu which I think is new, but whatever changes were made since the prior build seem to mostly be under the hood. It works well enough that I'd use it as a daily driver if it had working email notifications.

kklemn

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
My phone ia always warm. Even after soft reset, when the screen is off and no apps are running.
I also did a hard reset, but it won't help :s do you have the same issues??
L920 btw

gzinkl

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I had the latest update installed on my 1520. I rolled back to 8.1 because of a weird issue I haven't seen addressed yet: constant connection to my LTE network, even when connected to WiFi. I exceeded my phone plan's limit on data usage very quickly. The phone was also always hot, probably because of being constantly connected to the LTE network for data. I can't subsidize trying out the latest and greatest Windows OS at my cell phone carrier like that!

My impressions on the OS was that the universal apps for Office are very good on a phone. I liked them a lot. I didn't like the ability to put an extra column of tiles on my 1520's home screen because the compromise seemed to be crummy graphics for all the tiles.

I have to say that even if the email was free of bugs (it hardly is), I'm not a fan. If MS makes it possible to independently pin inboxes to the homescreen as in 8.1 and previous, I'd be immensely happier. That and the lack of email inbox-specific notifications make me sad. btw, for me, the notification center failed to show new emails, so I was stuck with having to manually check the email app itself with the much-loathed hamburger menu (which prevents one-handed operation). I have 4 email accounts (work, teaching, organization, personal), and it became quite a chore to be Mr. Manual on it.

Edge/PS seemed much improved, being finally usuable on the phone. Less lags and fast loadings are giving promise.

Some bugs that were driving me wild were partially fixed, the most notable being the failure of the messaging app to show the text box when typing a message (it was covered by the keyboard). Also fixed was internet sharing, which is a tool that I use in business all the time (although now that I have no data left for the month .... :( ). The build was more stable - I was only rebooting twice a day instead of double or triple that. The live tiles seemed to work mostly again (although not the email app).

I'm trying to think if there is anything revolutionary in Windows 10 mobile that will keep me on the platform, especially if ultimately we lose the email inbox separation. Universal apps seem to have huge potential, but i have no idea if developers are going for it; same for iOS and android developers for the new porting tools. We've lost a lot of the features that drew me to the platform - the Modern UI (elipses, et al.), the thoughtfulness behind being able to use the OS with one hand, etc. Cortana is interesting, but she's not really an every day tool, as much as I try. She is handy though. I could care less about transparent tiles. I crave functionality that others don't have, which leads to Continuum. If (1) that turns out to be as handy as I think, and (2) the new hardware is aesthetically sexy (not more the same, which is all we've been getting - I'm talking iPhone 6 slimness with Surface-quality aesthetics packed with chips and screens that make one ooh and ahh), I could be persuaded to stay. But the app gap and sexiness of iPhone hardware is starting to wear, and I've been a loyal Windows Phone owner since 7.0. Android, except for apps, still has little appeal to me because of its de-emphasis on design.

Anyway, just some thoughts. I wonder what your reactions are?:sweaty:

Aswin Rajan

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
i've been using the latest build on my 930 as my primary phone..for a few days now (the old build didnt support 930, so had it on my old 920)
absolutely love the new phone interface (on call / new call etc) the amoled makes the black look even cooler!..(the dialer, contacts etc are ok, could be better).. like the simplified settings, more personalization options, extended quick settings, smart replies..
The universal apps are pretty good - outlook, exchange, word, ppt, xl etc..Also the bluetooth mouse support is really kewl..(i can visualize a future where we could dock our phones etc - but right now this is more a tech demonstrator)
having issues with airwatch (mdm) - so cant seem to configure my office xchange mail..(lost it wen i hard reset).. n cortana also is gone since i'd switched regions before the update..(now cant seem to add languages / speech etc) store beta still needs work n is slow.. photos app has improved significantly in performance..overall a much more stable build.. (now goin bak to 8.1 to try n get my office email bak.. n den come bak to 10 again.. if that fails it'll be bak to 8.1 till d next build..)

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I just got a Gold Nokia 830 on purpose to try WP10 out...

Jesus Christ, what a mess. This is an Alpha, I know. But boy, compared to the Alpha of Windows 10, this is way way behind. I highly highly doubt Microsoft will be ready to ship WP10 before 2016. It lags a lot, crashes, ghost PC cursors show up, apps won't properly update, tiles don't render properly...

Oh and the hamburger menus. Yeah, they better either bring those down to the bottom or make them work as they should which is being actionable through a swipe from the left. I'm accustomed to hamburger menus on Android and I have nothing against them...ON Android...but I've lost count at the amount of times I tried to use them on WP10 with a left swipe to no avail.

Now excuse me while I'll go spend some hours flooding the feedback app with the plethora of problems I've had so far so that they can add them to the list.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I just got a Gold Nokia 830 on purpose to try WP10 out...

Jesus Christ, what a mess. This is an Alpha, I know. But boy, compared to the Alpha of Windows 10, this is way way behind. I highly highly doubt Microsoft will be ready to ship WP10 before 2016. It lags a lot, crashes, ghost PC cursors show up, apps won't properly update, tiles don't render properly...

Oh and the hamburger menus. Yeah, they better either bring those down to the bottom or make them work as they should which is being actionable through a swipe from the left. I'm accustomed to hamburger menus on Android and I have nothing against them...ON Android...but I've lost count at the amount of times I tried to use them on WP10 with a left swipe to no avail.

Now excuse me while I'll go spend some hours flooding the feedback app with the plethora of problems I've had so far so that they can add them to the list.

I agree

AnnoyingCat

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
the thing that annoy me the most is the lacks of pivot control in WP10 main app like Dialer, Contact ... (really ms, tab like android ??) and don't even get me started on the horrendous circle thingies in Messenger app

Adil Nyle

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Hello all, Two nights ago I installed the new Windows 10 Mobile build on my Lumia 925 and played around with the new UI and available features for about a day and a half before scaling back to 8.1. Here are my initial thoughts on that build:

1. User interface was still had some lag in on certain screens (photos, music, email, and apps installed before installing preview)
2. The preview apps such as music, Outlook Mail & Calendar, Videos were not able to be pinned to the start screen. However the apps themselves looked fantastic. Much cleaner, intuitive, and will be a big hit once 10 comes out officially.
3. The use of a full-screen background image with transparent tiles looks MUCH better than the old standard color tiles or background image in the tiles. I was able to use the image from the Windows 10 for Mobile default pictures with the tiles and it looked great.
4. The main reason I scaled back was the Preview drained my battery much too quickly. I hope that is just because of the beta stage of this OS and not a recurring theme once its a finished product.
5. I had many duplicate photos in my library as I think syncing with OneDrive uploaded many of my photos again and caused duplicates.
6. Project Spartan (please don't call it Edge) was fluid mostly. I didn't have a problem with the address bar up top to be honest. Just takes a little getting used to.
7. Cortana was SLOW. Didn't give results to questions (aka: EPL Table Standings) and instead sent us to bing results.

Overall, I liked this build of Windows 10 Mobile as the phone was actually useable and lag was there but much better than previous releases. There is a lot of promise in this OS and if it becomes refined enough and has features that are solid, intuitive, and fast, I may consider staying with Windows. Right now I'm thinking of going back to iOS with an iPhone 6 Plus due to the app gap but again I'll give Windows 10 Mobile more time to develop before making that choice.

Anyways, that is all. Peace.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nishad Thakur

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Is been a month ,as i started to use the windows 10 preview for phone.
My last lumia (520)was bricked while recovering and back then there was no solution (still its bricked and the power button not working),l purchased 535 and i installed the preview on this phone.

It was 10051-52-80 update path and i thought it may be same as developers preview and having insider for windows 10 pc what could go wrong ,that was my mistake.

After downloading the preview i started noticing the stuff that bugs me out
1) the continues ON mobile data ate my 500₹ and still eating if the wifi disconnects it try to connect for small time
2)i said bye to people app in the current build because it cant be open and i dont have time to hard reset
3)inconsistent OneDrive but the photo app is great
4)i cant delete single file in my mobile
5)camera app make green screen lumia camera and other works fine
6)haven't use the GPS in last whole month and related apps like maps
7)dim screen,drunken keyboard,battery drain
8)ever loading resuming,blank screen,windows button to click to get start screen

Its good build ,smart dialer makeup for people app,connecting to pc use for deleting stuff,storage sense can delete the app.these are my some workarounds in this build.there are bugs which i haven't mentioned.

I don't have nice internet speed and a good usb cable to downgrade to windows 8.1 gdr2 so i am stucked with this windows 10 as my daily driver

Josh Keisling

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I downloaded the preview on my HTC m8 last Friday
First off it does not work well with the HTC one m8. Almost all core apps do not work and the background constantly changed aspect ratio. And mobile hotspot did not work . Other than that and the extremely difficult timei had restoring back to 8.1 I love wp10
The new UI changes. The fonts the new keyboard the new home screen and how the background works with the transparency of your tiles is really good. People complaining about the UI changes can simply not upgrade their phones whenever the Ota is released. I cannot wait for the final build or at least a stable version I can run on my m8.
I am however worried this preview looks to be months and months away from any final release my worry is that it will not be released by the end of the year. I think Microsoft is saying a fall release. I just don't see that happening right now. My guess and I hope I'm wrong is probably around Feb 2016

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Impressions from an armchair designer

After recently purchasing a Lumia 635, I decided to install and try the latest build (10080, I think. Settings doesn't use the build numbers in versioning. Go figure.) of the Windows 10 Mobile Technical Preview on my T-Mobile Lumia 810. May I say that that was a mistake. I shall try to be brief yet informative on what I have experienced, and will divide this response into two sections: Design, & Function.

Function
  • Battery Life: May I start off by saying that this preview took a toll on my 810. Not only do I only get an hour, tops, on my battery, but the Nokia OEM charger no longer works with the device. I have to use an old LG Quantum cable and an iPhone USB power brick to get it to charge at all, and even then it is ridiculously slow. The battery drain is apparently that bad.
  • Cortana: It would seem that she is no longer as functional as she previously was. TTS, which allows responses to be read out, will not function without downloading a separate language pack for speech (and no I'm not using a different language. English US is the system language). Voice responses (Conversational/Informational) require me to tap a button labeled "search the web" in order to initiate a web search, rather than pulling the results up beneath her responses. Also faulty at recognizing speech.
  • Apps: Currently, a large portion of apps will not open or crash, most being system applications (Glance, Display, etc.). This persists after factory reset.
  • Miscellaneous: Start screen cannot pin tiles if all tiles are removed; Remedied by factory reset. Microsoft account may not remain signed in on the device or may not register as signed in with apps like Cortana; Remedied by reboot and clicking the sign in button within Cortana's prompt. Lock screen applications for both notifications and wallpapers cannot be set; No remedy available. Wifi will not disable; No remedy available. Visual voicemail appears as cryptic email account in Outlook. Applications will not install or update; Remedied by either soft reset or factory reset, based on persistence. Device will not wake from sleep; Remedied by holding power till the shut down screen prompt appears (may be dismissed to be taken to the lock screen). Photos app fails at finding new photos taken by the camera; Remedied by waiting a few hours. Battery saver will not enable; No remedy available. Battery saver cannot adjust apps that run in the background. Data sense cannot be enabled; No remedy available. Photos lacks folder/album view; no remedy available. Integrated social networking has been removed. Applications met with "resuming" a lot. Applications cannot be closed unless removed from the task switcher.

Design
  • Cortana: The UI is messy. Search box looks like it was pulled out of the Windows 8.0 developer preview. Search results pull up a customized Bing mobile site interface, similar to initial preview builds of Windows 10, as opposed to integrated results. Hamburger moved to left side and hard to activate one handed. Pivot functionality removed. Various elements of same style as search bar. Cortana is always using white theme. Interests are unnecessarily separated in what appear to be poor replications of cards from the Google Now interface. Not as clean nor intuitive as Cortana for Windows Phone.
  • Explorer: Explorer feels messy and unfriendly; Uses different file icons and folders as opposed to the Windows 10 TP. Not as intuitive as Files for Windows Phone..
  • Photos: Lacks easy navigation between albums and timeline view. Lacks folder-based album view. Lacks jump navigation for dates in timeline view. Unnecessarily changes scrolling direction from bottom-to-top to top-to-bottom. Overall less functional, clean, and useful as Photos for Windows Phone 8.1, even less as Photos for Windows Phone 8.
  • Messages: Unnecessary chrome utilized in conversation view and the main conversations list, limiting space for input box and messages themselves. Message bubble unnecessarily redesigned; Aesthetically unpleasing and invokes the thought of Android Holo UI.
  • Phone: Unnecessary switch from pivot to button based navigation, making navigation time consuming and difficult.
  • Mail: Poorly designed. Feels like a tablet application compressed into a phone's resolution. "Fit to width" zoom level no longer default nor available for HTML messages; %100 is minimum allowed zoom level. Message response system is confusing and polluted, with excessive chrome and unclear interaction methods.
  • Windows Store: provides a bleak and uninteresting interface with a grey theme and basic slideshow of promoted & recommended applications; Needs complete redesign focused on enticing consumers to spend their time within the app store; Like a physical store, you want your customers to be enticed to visit and to enjoy their time there, not feel like it's an unnecessary burden that's required; Build the luxury department store of app stores, not the Walmart Supercenter of them.
  • Settings: forgoes text based UI, with smaller text beneath each title indicating it's contents, in favor of oversimplified icon based interface that is unclear where specific elements may be found. Some elements feel out of place under specific categories, and there is excessive ues of chrome. Personal Note: The Windows 8.1 settings application squeezed into Windows Phone would look better than this.
  • General Interface: AppBar is crippled; You can no longer swipe up to open the redesigned appbar; A deliberate tap is required. Icons invoke the thought of Android Holo UI and seem to be different from the main Windows 10 preview itself. Pivot is no longer utilized, in favor of rudimentary hamburger button that lacks swipe gestures (as seen in apps like Spotify and previous versions of Facebook), making one handed navigation difficult (personal note: I use my phone one handed %99 of the time). No clear direction for the user interface elements. Elements within the settings application improperly scale to screen resolution, causing stretching (mainly things like the [+] button and the likes). Excessive use of chrome by the page title bar within numerous applications, removing space utilized by functional elements of the UI that previously existed within Windows Phone. Appbar icons lack round border indicating a clear area to tap. Tile icons are oversized within areas of the start screen in relation to new Windows 10 universal applications. Various elements feel like a Frankenstein blend of Windows 8.0 Developer Preview and a shoddy clone of Android Holo UI. Task switcher switches navigation direction (jarring!) and removes interesting and appealing close animation in favor of generic swipe down; Close icon misaligned in pixelated around the edges.

Takeaway
Pros:
  • New Windows???
  • Added Cortana functionality (future builds?)
  • Unified Interface?
Cons:
  • Disregard for principles of Metro Design (clean, fluid, content focused, chrome-light)
  • Dysfunctional and jarring
  • Hard to use one handed
  • Hard to use
  • Below feature par with Windows Phone 8, Windows Phone 8.1, Android 5, iOS 8, Windows 10, etc.
  • Broken functionalities
  • Unclear design direction

If I were to rate this on a scale from one to ten, it would be: 3/10, for poor design, stripped functionality, and degrade performance.

One can only hope that his is still in early stages of development (like, "still has another 12 - 18 months of development" early), because if Microsoft is shooting for a fall release date, we are doomed.

MysticForce

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
So much things are not working and everything is beta. Resizing live tiles is extremly slow on my lumia630.
Only good thing are beautiful start screen options and design. But now SMS app is starting slower, on WP8 is so fast.

There is no way that w10m will be finished until 29.july.

Conclusion : I love W10 but I might use W8 since I have 512MB RAM Lumia630.

bschiav

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site
Re: Impressions from an armchair designer

One can only hope that his is still in early stages of development (like, "still has another 12 - 18 months of development" early), because if Microsoft is shooting for a fall release date, we are doomed.

Certainly still early stages, the focus is clearly on Windows 10 desktop at the moment (I wonder how far behind the Windows 10 for mobile release will be?)

If you followed the Windows 10 development...there's been a lot of recent "polishing" type improvements done in the last couple months. Hopefully mobile gets there end of summer-ish.

At the moment...it's really (still) only worth a few days of trial to submit feedback on (which is important to get your voices heard). Then back to 8.1 to actually enjoy using the device...

fueledbygin

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Have used 10136 for a day on a 1020. Thoughts:

* Initially, I missed the part about not touching the phone when it finally got to the lock screen sans time/date. I can say things did appear very funky, hence my getting on the internet and looking around and then finding the statement by MS about that. So, I reverted to 8.1 and did the install a second time.

* The install, from a freshly restored to 8.1 phone, on my 1020, took about 5 hours (I'm not including the first attempt). Now, hold your horses, let me explain. What that 5 hours consisted of was the downloading and installing of 10136, the downloading and updating of all my apps, the downloading and installing of another phone update about 3 hours into this process (no number/more info/etc attached to that update), and the downloading and updating of a number of apps again, and then finally, deleting several apps that didn't work, which then worked when downloaded and installed again. I'm on a 100 MB/s internet connection with Data Usage showing 809 MB when I was done, so I'm fairly certain the bottleneck here was more on the side of the phone itself. 5 hours later, my phone was ready for use, with no more app installs and updates to run. This was, by several hours, the longest I ever spent updating a phone; Windows, Android, or iOS. I think anyone who owns a metal Lumia knows how hot they can get. My living room, in which I was doing this while watching TV...literally got hot. My 1020 was like a mini solar flare for those 5 hours. :) I think that was the single longest stretch it's ever worked that hard without a break.

* Unlike many others, I've always been happy to see where they're going with the aesthetic. I do agree that hamburger menus should be on the bottom of the screen and scroll up, rather than in the top left corner, but outside of that, UIs-regardless of which design philosophy they adhere to, rarely bug me. From a purely aesthetic concern, it's simply nice to see some modern aesthetics to replace much of the very basic starkness of WP 8/8.1. Everyone's tastes are different, obviously.

* I love the new transparency, wherever it can be found. I HATE non transparent start tiles now. :D At the moment, the only transparent ones are from Microsoft apps (and not all of them). Hopefully, that'll change, but with how few developers took advantage of live tiles, I'm a bit pessimistic.

* I actually have a layout now where I relegated most of those non-transparent apps to the "edges" (mostly top and bottom), trumping aesthetics over practicality, because the non-transparent blocks on the Start screen are so damn ugly now. This is one of those things I never realized I wanted so badly until I saw it. :)

* The new Onedrive app is almost completely broken for me. Nor can I uninstall it and reinstall it, which has fixed most other "broken" apps in this build. When I go into Onedrive, despite several GBs worth of files, it simply says I have no files, no pictures, nothing shared, nothing. If I create something, it also vanishes into the air the second I navigate away from it. Those files/folders I create in the phone app will show up in Onedrive if I access it via the web on my computer, tablet, etc. They just join everything else that vanished in the Windows Phone 10 app. Very strange. Meanwhile, other apps (like photos) that pull from Onedrive, see my Onedrive files just fine.

* Outlook Mail finally has functional notifications. Lack of working email notifications was the primary reason I always almost immediately rolled back in previous builds. They're too critical for me, and I don't have multiple Windows Phones to play around with. The unfortunate part of the notifications is that they don't segregate by "inbox" like they do in WP 8/8.1. Fingers crossed that it'll come down the pipe.

* The bad about notifications is no way to change sound, and clicking on one doesn't bring you to the email in question.

* Outlook Mail and Calendar performance is still pretty bad in terms of speed/smoothness. Lots of UI cleaning still needed as well, with cut off icons/text/etc.

* I do see comments from others about hating the new mail experience in Windows Phone 10, because it doesn't let you pin your inboxes separately to the Start screen, and while there's absolutely nothing intuitive about how it's done, you CAN pin your inboxes separately through Outlook. From the list of accounts, you long press one. The pop up window to pin to start will only show up after you release, rather than when you press. This is not to be confused with the list of accounts under settings.

* Store (beta) is an ugly, slow, mess. But, that's mostly true on the desktop as well. I'm 100% certain that's going to get a lot of polish eventually, so I'm not too concerned. A lot of my apps under "My Apps" in the normal Store app weren't found in the Store (beta) app (via search or history), so I had to do a lot of app installs through the old Store app instead. The current way of listing your apps, by date, so the same app shows up multiple times, is a design choice that I do hope they re-think.

* Store (beta) gives no indication that you an app is actually installed or not. It will tell you if you own it or not, but when you go to the actual apps' page, it'll show you the install button regardless of whether it is actually installed, and will gladly let you push the button. I installed multiple apps several times over before realizing this. That was incredibly annoying, and I have to wonder at the so called one app for all versions of Windows 10 mantra, since the Store (beta) on the desktop (which, ostensibly, should be the same app), clearly differentiates this, and until I ran into this problem, the app did appear to be the same app as the one on the desktop.

* Store (beta) keeps trying to, and failing to, download Internet Explorer automatically. I can delete it from the downloads queue, but the next time it checks for updates, it shows up again.

* This morning, when I woke, I had to restart my phone in order to get Store (beta) to successfully open again. No amount of freeing up memory appeared to resolve it without resorting to restarting.

* On the subject of restarting a phone, this is the slowest restart I've ever experienced on any phone in the last 5 years. I actually started to think the phone had shut down, instead of gone into a restart, the first time I did it. It takes that long. Most of that is due to what seems like a real long stretch of time from powering off to actually starting back up again. It's not that much slower than normal if you're just looking at powering it up from an off state. That lag time between shutting down and starting back up during a restart is kind of weird.

* Most times, when I restart the phone, the first time I enter a pin on my lock screen, there is a black bar at the top of the pin/number pad part of the interface. That black bar doesn't show up in subsequent uses of the pin pad/lock screen.

* The OS, as a whole, is still far too slow to be considered "smooth", but it's usable.

* Make sure you switch out the pinned phone app for the updated phone app. Why they have the same name...to confuse the hell out of people, I suppose. :D The old phone app, for me at least, is completely non-functional.

* The old Lumia "beta" app, Glance Backgrounds, installs and runs just fine, but doesn't actually apply images anymore to my Glance screen. Which makes me a kind of sad panda.

* My call audio quality...is just horrible. It's never been fantastic on a 1020, from my perspective, but it's been a noticeable downgrade for me now, compared to 8.1. I rarely make actual phone calls on my phone anymore (it's all about text messages/emails/etc, these days)...but damn.

* I tried playing some music to see if it was a general audio thing, and the music played just fine with nothing out of the ordinary (Mix Radio). On the other hand, the new notification sounds are incredibly crackly and sound horrible with "static" and cracking noises. So, I don't know.

All in all, while it's slow (especially the modern windows 10 apps like outlook, new people app, store (beta), etc), it's usable, so I'll likely try sticking with it as long as I can to give it a fair shake (lack of email notifications meant I never lasted longer than a few hours on the two previous builds).

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs