W10M User Reviews and Impressions!

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I am really liking the new music app right now. It still has a long way to go but so far so good. It is far more easier on the eyes and cleaner looking.

Overall Windows 10 mobile looks promising and i bet the finished product will be a huge improvement from 8.1..and 8.1 was great. They have a long ways to go with tweaks, UI enhancements, UX enhancements, and bug fixes so it really doesn't look good for a summer release. Well see i guess.

melvintwj

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
On my Lumia 1520

-Digital Image Stabilization setting in the new built-in Camera app. It is already on by default. Tested it and video came out smoother than Lumia Camera, which I believe only has OIS in action. If not, it might be a placebo effect. (Though, I swear video is smoother using the new Camera app).

-Rich Capture in the new built-in Camera app. I do not know if that's available for non-Pureview devices, but it's there on my 1520.

-I changed my cellular setting to 3G only. I am now stuck since every attempt to change it to anything else crashes the settings app.

bschiav

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site
OP you were dead on with your prediction that they would implement reachability for WP. Nostradamus status.

Hah...thank you sir. If you noticed...I haven't posted much lately. I'll wait until a near final release to check it out again. It was clear in the early days what the direction was going to be (as unpolished as it was) ("If you can't beat 'em, join 'em")

angelblast1997

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
I would like to see Cortana on the left side of the Start Screen. Cortana is an amazing virtual assistant but having her on her own application ruins the experience, Cortana does not feel integrated within the OS. It would be a great idea if Cortana lived next to the Start Screen. Swiping to the right/ sliding to the left would slide the screen to Cortana. Having Cortana so easily accessible would improve how much users use Cortana.

The new Cortana would also display the Start Screen wallpaper blurred in the background. This would not only look sleek and nice but would unify Windows 10 Mobile.

VOTE HERE!!! https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/...re-integrated-cortana-cortana-on-the-start-sc

This is a very quick mock up I did Cortana_StartScreen_Mockup.jpg

Last edited:

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I would like to see Cortana on the left side of the Start Screen. Cortana is an amazing virtual assistant but having her on her own application ruins the experience, Cortana does not feel integrated within the OS. It would be a great idea if Cortana lived next to the Start Screen. Swiping to the right/ sliding to the left would slide the screen to Cortana. Having Cortana so easily accessible would improve how much users use Cortana.

The new Cortana would also display the Start Screen wallpaper blurred in the background. This would not only look sleek and nice but would unify Windows 10 Mobile.

VOTE HERE!!! https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/...re-integrated-cortana-cortana-on-the-start-sc

This is a very quick mock up I did View attachment 106847

But most of the time, when you call Cortana, you're not on the start screen.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
After a week on WP10M I can tell you that it is really raw and mostly unusable (unless you like soft resetting daily and fiddling with it all day) as a daily driver.There are too many glitches, things that don't work, and a general lack of cohesiveness at this point.

Yeah, MS says DON'T use it as your daily driver and I can tell you they really mean it.

My advise is wait for the official release.

Olaf Dennison1

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
This is my first time using wp10. Didn't bother with previous builds. Now been using it as my daily phone for a few days now, since release day actually. I've come across a couple of problems that I hope get fixed asap.
1. No Maps- I kinda need the maps to be working, it affects my cycling GPS app, Here drive and Here Maps. Hopefully this gets fixed next build.
2. I have no control of the volume when headphones are plugged in. It stays at 13 all the time which is a wee bit low for me, especially when I'm playing it through the car stereo.
3. Viber and Skype- I don't really need Viber, but Skype I need and would like to be able to sign into them. If I could just sign in I'm sure they'd work just fine. When trying to sign in the screen just goes dark, I'm sure people have also seen this. Signing into apps seems to be a problem anyway, happens with Here maps too.
4. Store Beta- Not at all sure if I like the setup of it yet, Also notice a few apps I downloaded from it didn't work, but worked fine from the old Store app.
5' Storage- I can't store apps to SD card. I had this with this phone on wp8.1 and was hoping the new update to wp10 would fix it however it still seems to be there.
6. Calls- Once and only once when I got a call from my wife the phone froze, screen went black and wouldn't do anything for a couple of minutes. Been ok since though.

Otherwise I like it , Kinda wanna roll back to wp8.1 but I'm gonna keep on with wp10 and see where it goes for another week. Music app is nice and works well

Alfred Yeap

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Photos app - the sharing function just not working for me.

Battery life is shorter now, I missed the win8.1 superb battery usage.

Missing Mobile Data toggle in notification center.

Resuming takes longer in most of the time.

Alarm app doesn't really work.

Camera does not load from the lock screen when the camera button is pressed.

***I have rolled back to the perfect win8.1 for now.

Jason Velocity

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I followed this advise on the previous build, but thought this one might be good enough to work through. I *can* use is as my daily driver, but the beta fatigue is really setting in. I'm going to try to work though a couple of issues, and roll back if I can't improve my experience.

F1WP

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Not great. Lags, a lot slower than 8.1. Also, live tiles fail to update, and email does not work properly. There are issues with the lock screen too. Not great for a daily driver especially with the increased battery usage.

Abhishek P

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if this has been found out already,
I'm using build 10149 on my 730, and found a neat little trick.
If you double tap the navigation bar, the phone locks.
Its a cool feature to hav, anyone else got it?

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Tried it (again) not impressed - pictures app is a hot mess .. terrible, terrible design. Half of the apps I use (Zinio, Proshot, Lumia xxx) are not available in the store WTH? I just tried to create a new calendar appointment and it's confusing as hell - the icons just don't make sense

And NO ME TILE!!!

Right then .. rolling back to windows 8.1 and here I will stay.. Not liking it at all .. sorry .. I'm just not

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Tried it (again) not impressed - pictures app is a hot mess .. terrible, terrible design.
Werry agree with you but it is kind respectable in the current state, just provide feedback, that's main purpose of TP....
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...e-new-universal-photo-app-truly-terrible.html

Half of the apps I use (Zinio, Proshot, Lumia xxx) are not available in the store WTH? I just tried to create a new calendar appointment and it's confusing as hell - the icons just don't make sense
Well don't be so mad about, it is TP fast ring, not even beta software, more like some alpha stage

Right then .. rolling back to windows 8.1 and here I will stay.. Not liking it at all .. sorry .. I'm just not
I guess this is the best part about WM10 TP, if you can't deal with you can always simply switch back ;)

fueledbygin

May 23, 2014
Visit site
So, after a full 24 hours with 10166 on a 1020, some thoughts (skipped the last build due to its messaging and gmail bugs, so unsure how much of the following is specific to this build or the previous one):

* First off, I did this update the same way I've done all updates. Update to the most recent WP build, then hard reset the phone, and don't restore from backup. I've found in previous builds that if I don't do this, that there are a ton of issues that pop up.

* This process took about 3 hours. As long as that sounds, it was far shorter than what it took on 10136, which was quite possibly the most epicly long update process for a phone...ever. The biggest difference was the Store app being far smoother/less buggy this time around.

* The startup process is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay faster than in 10136. Interestingly, the issue where you reboot the phone, and it takes an inordinate amount of time in the "off" position before actually starting to boot up again, still seems to exist. If I hadn't already witnessed this with 10136, I'd have been thinking the phone was just turned off, and not actually rebooting.

* One small hiccup in the setup process, when it's supposed to move from the gear icon to the data migration screen, the phone appeared to turn off (it didn't). Display stayed off, etc. I had to hold the power button down until the power off slider showed up, then I swiped it up instead of down, and the display finally came to life and showed the data migration screen. Happened both in the upgrade and after the hard reset.

* Smoother/faster than previous builds (again, skipped the previous build). Still not as smooth/fast as 8.1. Unlike some, I never really had any issues with "Resuming" on 8.1, but it's been noticeable in WP 10-including this build. When it gets bad, it's usually a sign I need to reboot the phone, as it is usually accompanied by other issues, such as trying to pin an app to the Start menu, and nothing occurring. This has been an issue in every build, and it's less so an issue in 10166, but still present. It's especially bad shortly after the installation, and seems to become far more sparse the more time passes from install. The day after, I haven't seen it at all in the four hours I've been at work.

* Still lacking all the various methods of customizing sounds/notifications we had in 8.1 (and are available on every other platform). Interestingly, this is the first build where I am unable to assign a custom silent ring tone (I like to use a silent ringtone as the default, and then assign custom ringtones to individuals, as a workaround for the very basic sound control WP has traditionally had).

* The outlook mail app has definitely seen some polish in the UI text elements, in that they actually fit where they belong, etc.

* Outlook mail still is a bit buggy. Have had a few occurrences where I'd try to switch accounts and it'd just return to the current email account instead. Only seems to "fix" itself if I close the app and re-open or reboot the phone.

* Outlook mail accounts that are pinned to the Start screen now show the number of unread emails. This is HUGE for me. Slowly regaining functionality of the WP 8.1 app. Still can't customize notification sounds. Default notification sound is still incredibly soft.

* Outlook mail accounts' live tiles will also show you a brief blurb of your new emails. Another huge improvement. I still really detest the outlook icon as a live tile (it's way too busy/complicated vs the simple envelope of WP 8.1), but the live tile having actual functionality finally is great.

* The horrendous sound quality of notifications, ringtones, and calls I had in build 10136 seems to have largely been fixed. They're the same sounds, but not all warbly/staticy like they were for me on 10136. The 1020 isn't great with sound to begin with (I'm not 100% sure, but it seems like there are vibrations inside the phone that cause the poor sound, especially around the camera location).

* Even with 'Show more tiles' turned off, it still gave me the expanded Start screen.

* Cortana is a bit schizophrenic. Sometimes it'll open the way it's always opened, where it shows you your cards, etc. Other times, when opening Cortana, it'll jump straight to the keyboard prompt to do a search. Seems pretty random on which way it'll open. And, this is by opening Cortana by tapping on the Cortana app, so it's not a case of opening it by different methods.

* Photos, and more importantly, the way other apps hook into photos, is still a huge hot mess. If you're trying to set a photo as your Start background, you have no choice but to view them as "Collections", which is grouped by date. If you have 10k photos...despite knowing exactly what folder the photo you want is saved in, you're still forced to scroll through these dumb collections. It's just a huge nightmare. The photos app does let you switch between collections and back to the more sane folder based view, so hopefully that functionality will eventually become available when another service is hooking into the photos app. It can't possibly stay the way it is, as I can't imagine anyone could look at how it currently works and thinks it to be acceptable.

* Onedrive works. It wouldn't show me any of my files in 10136.

* White Balance on my 1020 seems to have taken a step backward with both the Camera app and Lumia Camera app. It's always been a little too yellow, but was correctable in 8.1 with the Lumia Camera app by sliding to the right on White Balance. Now, there really isn't a satisfactory White Balance setting. It's either the aforementioned too yellow, or way, way too cold.

* Still really missing the Nokia glance background lockscreen, which hasn't worked with any of the WP 10 builds.

* The Maps app is lacking in that it won't show you your Collections. So, if you've been creating them on the desktop, they aren't accessible on the WP app. Here maps continues to be the best in terms of features and UI, but is sorely lacking in non-address search terms (laughably bad, imo). It seems clear by the desktop version of Maps that Microsoft is trying to incorporate elements of Here into Maps, and this is all still in beta, so I'm hoping the WP Maps app still has a lot of UI changes coming down the pipe to match up with the desktop version. I'm definitely liking the direction the desktop (well, more accurately, browser) version is going, and it is obviously taking queues from Here maps. The mobile app just doesn't appear to be making any of those much needed changes. Yet. The only reason I'm even a little worried is that it wasn't very long ago (a month?) that Microsoft claimed the mobile Maps app was getting totally revamped (and urged us to try it out), but compared to the desktop (which actually does look like a real revamp), I'm still not really seeing it.

* The Maps app's live tile now shows your current location. Which is kind of neat. If there's a setting to turn that behavior off, I haven't found it.

* My Google Music app was working in 10136, but stopped working in this build (GMusic). Not a biggie, as I don't actually use my phone to listen to music all that often. But, it hadn't worked on any builds until 10136, and so it's a little disheartening to see it return to it's previous states where it appears to just hang on caching/downloading music streams.

* I've never really seen the battery issues other people have, and I always take them with a huge grain of salt, with all the variables that go into battery drain. All I'll say on this issue is that my battery drains no differently than when I use 8.1. And, like virtually every phone I've ever used (I think the only time I was ever even remotely happy with a phone's battery life was in the era of flip phones), I always wish the battery could last longer. :)

* When you turn your phone off (which, outside of this update/testing process, I pretty much never do), you get a nice message about not missing whatever upcoming events exist on your calendar.

* Still wish they'd give us a color wheel for the "colors" selection under personalization.

Overall, while not quite WP 8.1 smooth/fast, it's close enough to be a daily driver with minimal frustrations. The lack of sound/notification customization is still sorely lacking, but otherwise it's finally approaching the usability of 8.1 (the Outlook mail app took great strides since 10136). As my understanding is that it's still going to be a few months before it sees release, it seems likely sounds/notifications will see improvements to at least return to the level of functionality of 8.1, so while it's annoying to not see it yet, I'm confident we'll see it in a future build.

I've never lasted more than three days with any of the previous builds (most, less than a day), as they've been too slow/aggravating/feature-sparse, but I could genuinely see myself remaining on this build for the long term (ie: until the next build is released). That's a first, and hopefully a sign of what's to come with future builds.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)