W10M User Reviews and Impressions!

Skinshifter

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
The sadest and upseting thing of W10 Mobile

Greetings,

Despite a very rubbish and stable software right now, it's really annoying how battery drains so fast. Also, the device always overheats when using some apps, which is bad. I don't know how W10 is doing on 950/950XL but it's a shame if both are going under same problems. Anyways, I'm using a Lumia 1520 and I had to go back to 8.1 , because I can't stand charging the phone everyday and feeling it overheated when I use it in basic things.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: The sadest and upseting thing of W10 Mobile

Greetings,

Despite a very rubbish and stable software right now, it's really annoying how battery drains so fast. Also, the device always overheats when using some apps, which is bad. I don't know how W10 is doing on 950/950XL but it's a shame if both are going under same problems. Anyways, I'm using a Lumia 1520 and I had to go back to 8.1 , because I can't stand charging the phone everyday and feeling it overheated when I use it in basic things.

Battery life is excellent for me on my 950. Software has improved with most recent update too.

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: The sadest and upseting thing of W10 Mobile

Have you done hard reset? After hard reset, battery life is for me on par woh 8.1.2. Maybe even better.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: Losing Faith because of the Little Things

Ugh. I don't care about the app gap. Yet. I don't care about market share, etc. I've been a staunch supporter of MS, W10, everything. I subscribe to Groove and 365. Have an XOne. I love having everything similar across them all. But lately I've been getting annoyed due to failures in small things that seem insignificant, but to me really show incompetence. And as I only have two payments left on my Icon and HAD been planning to go to AT&T for a 950, now I'm often looking at that gorgeous, huge Nexus and wondering how to get it to work with my PC and Xbox if I went that route. It's so tempting.

First off, what the hell Cortana. Three days in a row now, you have told me I had an appointment coming up that I rescheduled or cancelled DAYS ago. This....is unacceptable. MS likes to say, oh it's like having your own personal assistant. I would have fired her days ago. When I change something on my Calendar, Cortana should pick up on that immediately. It should be among her most basic things. I moved something back a month, three days ago, and today she is telling me it is tomorrow. Open the event, and it is for next month like I rescheduled. That is BULL**** and makes Cortana look very amateurish. And MS by extension. Didn't do that on 8.1 "beta". Does now. Pathetic.

Also pathetic? MSN weather, the live tile. That's nice that you're telling me the temp in Carlsbad where I live; too bad I've been in Oceanside the past SIX HOURS. Tile still says Carlsbad. Oh, I have to open the app to get it to update? Totally defeats the purpose, and sometimes (usually) that doesn't work either. Oh, but Accuweather? Their tile does it just fine. More bull****.

Edge syncing. Sometimes works, more often it doesn't. Or very, very slow to sync. Not reliable at all.

These seem like small things, but to me...they are indicitave of deeper problems. I don't need more apps and so on; I just want the most BASIC of **** to work reliably, and they can't even get that right. And I'm not buying that crap about "always evolving". This isn't new features, or minor bug fixes, these are fundamental parts of what they are supposed to do that have been their since the beginning and continue to not work. And I'm tired of it. I want to stay with MS and and W10 mobile, but it's getting hard. And has nothing to do with the app gap. I just want THEIR apps to work. And they don't.

PS: this site is SO riddled with scripts and background ad garbage it took me 15 minutes to write this because my typing kept getting interrupted. Terrible.

HEAR YE, HEAR YE!... Totally agree, it is the small things that frustrate the heck out of you and MS just can't seem to get it together (goes for W10 for desktops too), I still love WM yet despise MSs implementations or lack thereof, will continue to use WM (right now W8.1) until my present devices have run their course, this rollercoaster ride, the delays and the resounding "soon" have already pushed me to the other side for my daily driver.

Very annoyed myself with anything related to the "central" sites, slow to load, scrolling lags/jittery, multiple browser crashes and so on, happens on every device/browser I've tried and that amounts to many.

Lord Method Man

May 23, 2014
Visit site

Yep, couple weeks ago we drove out to visit family about 180 miles away. Along the way my Weather app homed-in on one of the random towns we drove through and the Live Tile stayed on that location for two days.

Right now my Mail Live Tile shows 1 unread message, which I can't find anywhere.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

Yep, couple weeks ago we drove out to visit family about 180 miles away. Along the way my Weather app homed-in on one of the random towns we drove through and the Live Tile stayed on that location for two days.

Right now my Mail Live Tile shows 1 unread message, which I can't find anywhere.

For a week MSN weather showed my local temperatures 10-12 degrees (Celsius) higher than they actually were, was stellar prior, finally resorted back to Amazing Weather HD.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site

For a week MSN weather showed my local temperatures 10-12 degrees (Celsius) higher than they actually were, was stellar prior, finally resorted back to Amazing Weather HD.

You know, I switched away from Amazing Weather HD because MSN weather had glance screen support... but now that W10M MSN Weather doesn't support glance screen (or the lockscreen at all for that matter), I think it's long past time to go back.

Alan Sylvain

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
My impression of Windows 10 mobile...

After using Windows 10 mobile (build 10586), I just wanted to share my opinion.

First of all, I'm now using a Lumia 830, purchased when it was released. I'm overall happy with the phone, despite the slight low specs on the processor. I came from iPhone 4, then Moto G and now Windows Phone.

Overall, I find Windows 10 is a pleasure to use. It is buttery smooth, and aesthetically very pleasing, with fast and smooth animations from the home screen, in the phone app, messaging app and multi tasking. The text has been made smaller in most areas, which means more room and less scrolling. It is stable enough in my opinion for a main driver phone. The only issues I get in terms of reliability is an occasional flicker on the screen (goes blank for 0.5s then returns, maybe once a day), and a couple of apps that don't seem to work properly (FlightRadar being one of them).

Battery life appears to have improved too, and I'm loving the new swipe down options with up to 16 tiles of shortcuts. Cortana is getting better all the time, and the integration with Windows 10 on my PC allows me to text, call and receive data between the two screens with ease.

The OS is impressive, fast, fluid and very capable.

BUT... Here's the one thing that Microsoft needs to do now to make the Windows Phone platform take off: allow the system to run iOS or Android app without delay. While the app selection is somewhat better (the native Facebook app in W10 is miles ahead of the WP8 version), there are still too many titles missing, or very basic apps that show a poor effort on behalf of the developers. My biggest misses: Nest Thermostat (alternatives are very poor), Glympse (again, there, but too basic and unstable), BBC News (simply not there), and, sorry guys, Grindr. Yes of course there are third party apps (thank goodness for MetroTube!), but too often, these apps don't run the full set of options found in native apps or break when the official app changes its API.

When I compare the app quality to my (still occasionally switched on) Moto G, it's always behind on the Windows platform. I believe Microsoft should hurry and allow easy porting of apps over, even if it means losing some features such as live tiles... Once the apps are there, and on par with competing platforms, Windows Phone can truly take off. Once it reaches a significant market share (more than 10%), I believe developers will then take the time to upgrade their apps specifically for WP to take advantage of the platform's offering such as Cortana integration and Live Tiles.

A friend of mine wanted a new phone, and likes the look of mine and Windows Phone, but I simply couldn't recommend the 950 for him, as I know he'll miss quantity and quality of apps too much.

Windows Phone is brilliant and very close to reaching market popularity in my opinion, it just needs the app issue sorted, once and for all, and new quality hardware (more metal, less plastic) in the pipeline!

Thank you for reading. :wink:

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: My impression of Windows 10 mobile...

Sounds pretty fair and I agree with the smoothness and general usability.
As far as apps, I have pretty much everything I need, though I understand there are those that don't. For me having Office apps, calendar, email, etc. fulfill my prime needs. We'll have to see what the future brings.
Good start!

Neill Baldwin

May 16, 2015
Visit site

I agree and can see where you come from. I'd love to recommend the 950 to people but can understand when they complain about lack of apps.

TheMelonOfWater

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site

Once the apps are there, and on par with competing platforms, Windows Phone can truly take off. Once it reaches a significant market share (more than 10%), I believe developers will then take the time to upgrade their apps specifically for WP

To be honest, I've been hearing this exact thing since I got my first Windows Phone in 2012 and nothing has happened. I don't think the market share will ever reach 10%.

Since most carriers (all carriers in my country) won't ever carry the Lumia 950 (or other new Windows Phones), I don't even think project islandwood will change anything. I just can't see developers using project islandwood, even with how easy it will be, to create Windows apps when you can't even buy Windows Phones.

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site

To be honest, I've been hearing this exact thing since I got my first Windows Phone in 2012 and nothing has happened. I don't think the market share will ever reach 10%.

Since most carriers (all carriers in my country) won't ever carry the Lumia 950 (or other new Windows Phones), I don't even think project islandwood will change anything. I just can't see developers using project islandwood, even with how easy it will be, to create Windows apps when you can't even buy Windows Phones.
I think the problem is not how easy to port or to publish their apps to this platform but they have spend time and effort to maintain it once they officially publish it. Without proper userbase there just not enough income for their input? It just conflict with MSFT strategy when they refuse earning market share the XBOX way.

windowshopper23

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site

I would hope they would add more of a modern/metro touch to the UI closer to the official W10M update, but that's probably not gonna happen. I got to say, I think Microsoft and some of the WP fan base got it wrong transitioning to the Android hamburger menu style of things. The settings are a travesty still to this date, the design is hard to look at compared to the elegant settings menu of WP 8.1. I don't know why they caved in and went in the design direction of their desktop UI and android. You don't see Chrome OS and Android sharing design language, you don't see Mac OS and iOS sharing design language entirely. You had something completely fresh and original, elegant and smooth. I want to see the modern ui make a comeback. I have a couple of WP devices lying around with WP 8.1 and it feels a lot better than the latest version of W10M. Idk, I was hoping to get used to W10M but it just hasn't happened yet. And tbh it's quite sad that Microsoft would release "flagship" devices with a beta OS. Oh well.

viky4640

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
i think windows 10 will be released around 3rd week of January 2016. i have tried it today because i was free and had nothing to do but there is this thing with windows 10 mobile(640 dual sim, installed from 8.1 denim update 2), it just feels lagging when compared with windows phone 8.1. i don't know if this was a firmware issue or what. but it needs to be polished. used it for 3 4 hours and then reverted back to windows 8.1 immediately. so hope that it will get better with next couple of builds.

emjey

May 12, 2014
Visit site
i think windows 10 will be released around 3rd week of January 2016. i have tried it today because i was free and had nothing to do but there is this thing with windows 10 mobile(640 dual sim, installed from 8.1 denim update 2), it just feels lagging when compared with windows phone 8.1. i don't know if this was a firmware issue or what. but it needs to be polished. used it for 3 4 hours and then reverted back to windows 8.1 immediately. so hope that it will get better with next couple of builds.
If the first wave of updates itself is on jJanuarythird week, then the second wave wud probably hit around may and third around august and fourth around end of 2016.

Ghost79

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
Not had mine long enough to review but so far very nice apart from all my old pics which I've moved to my 950xl show up really small rather than fill the screen. Hell they don't fill half of it!

FredW3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
After a week with y new 950, I feel I can comment. I thought Windows phone 8 was the best phone OS, and Windows mobile 10 is an improvement. Not a huge improvement, but it is better.

And I know this is picky, but why do you swipe left to delete an email but right to delete a notification?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss