W10M User Reviews and Impressions!

shipof

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
I'm using a Lumia 640 and it works very well. I believe W10M is definitely a step forward. I'll give a little pros and cons list of what I can remember right now:
Pros:
  • More items for Quick action. (flashlight is great to have there)
  • More options to customize the start screen
  • You don't have to drag the colored bar to close the Action center, you can drag from any empty space on it.
  • Double tap the nav bar to lock (don't know if that was on 8.1 too)
  • The File Explorer app is a lot better than de Files app.
  • The Alarms & Clock app adds Timer, Stopwatch and world clock.
just to name a few.
Now with the Cons, just two that frustrate me:
  • Strange scrolling. Sometimes just flips out. Its a pain. Sometimes I want to scroll a little bit but when I release my finger it scrolls a lot.
  • Having default apps to resolve links. This is basic, but still not resolved. The twitter app cant even recognise its own links. Can't open Instagram links on 6tag, etc. Everything goes to Edge...u.u

Well, thats about it.

Canjok

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary Update: half Rant half Review (subjective!)

Hi at all,
It would be nice if you all leaved a similar comment like my sum up, that would be really interesting to see different opinions summed up!

I want to give you my experience with the windows 10 Anniversary update and it's flaws (Windows 10s flaws). My Device is a Lumia 640 DS, but with only one Sim inserted and a 128gb SD card.

Updating Win 10 to Win 10 AU went faster than suspected. That was nice. After installing, everything was kinda buggy, but that wasn't the problem, since I wanted to do a hard reset with formating the SD card anyway. So I made a hard reset. It took quiet some time and I decided to leave my backups alone, to obtain a view as a first time Lumia user. So when the basic install stuff was finished, which partially had the old WP8.1 UI, I was finally on my start screen.
The first thing I did was to go to standby, and put it on again, to see if the visual artifacts when turning the phone on are still there. And like i imagined, they did not get rid of it (things like the clock shows after background & co. and sometimes it flashes shortly in white). But hey, it's just one thing, so let's dig deeper. The next thing I did was downloading maps. So I put about 6 countries on the download list and went on to do something else, since I thought the maps would download in the background.... which was a bad assumption. I don't know if they completely paused or are just slow to the ultimate, but leaving the screen in the map-download-screen surely downloads the maps faster. And be careful, your screen has to stay on or the download will slow (pause?) again.
So after actively watching the download bar progress to the finish, I went to start screen and watched swipes to "all app lists" carefully, since the icons always loaded after the swipe, before the update. Of course, it was still the same after the update, but not so often as before. Sadly, on the all Apps list I realized how many ad-apps (bloatware) were installed. So I uninstalled them. It was very funny, that Apps like: Here Drive, here Maps, Lumia Camera, Storyteller, Moments installed. In short: There were Apps installed which weren't usable from the start (srsly???). After uninstalling them I was curious and found they were downloadable and installable from the store. But way they don't work either.
Since I have an SD-Card installed, new apps have installed themselves on SD card. A few Apps, like Whatsapp are not installable on SD card, and you get a message and install it simply on device storage. Other Apps, even from MS like glance, install themselves on SD card. I don't know when it did install itselfs to SD card, but here it was, and from the beginning it was updateable. In my case, there was the same problem which was on the previous Windows Version. If you have certain system Apps installed on SD, they seem updateable on store, but always get an error message when installing. So you need to switch the location of the App to storage device and everythings fine again.
So now my device was at a similar state as before the update. It took quiet some time. So i went to the new stuff of the AU update. I arranged the icons in my action center to my personal taste and removed the once I never used. It worked well. And is a really nice feature and looks cleaner than before. So as other improvements mostly are cortana, developer stuff or stuff not usable on 640, it felt like I tested every new feature of the update.
But that's not all. I already used the update for 2 days and there are two further problems which occured. The first thing is, my contacts tile doesn't load up images of my contacts, so it only has blank circles in two different colours. And the next thing is rather stupid. MS implemented glance settings (finally!) to personalization. And hey, that doesn't mean the settings in extras is gone, it only means that the settings in extras are unusable (W...T...F???). And to raise this even higher, I can't turn off glance while loading my device and every time a minute's passed, it updates itself in an unaesthetic way (talking bout removed features... again?). While the new settings look a bit better, a few pages, like lockscreen settings kinda load slow and adjusting the short status infos on lockscreen has an odd behaviour.
Unaesthetic updates are all over Windows 10 mobile. A few further examples are: 1) opening Groove sometimes updates itself shortly and you have to press back more than one time to go out of the app 2) hiding/unhiding navigation bar (bottom) in maps results in a really ugly black reloading of the maps 3) the late-updated parallax effect, when you open an app (scrolled quiete far down in startscreen) and instantly press the back button again.

sum up:
Is the update
- more stable?: No, it's the same.
- more bugfree (visual artifacts)?: No, it's the same.
- more feature rich?: Objectively yes! Subjectively for me it's trade one - gain one, as I don't use glance anymore.

Has Windows 10 in general
- fullfilled my needs: Yes, a low cost smartphone which is capable of many things except for "luxury" features like high-end gaming, fingerprint scanner etc..
- been a pain in the ***: Sometimes. Subjective updates, 3rd party Apps and stupid unaesthetically bugs are the cause.

Are the 3rd party Apps
- fulfilling my needs: Yes, I don't need Snapchat and many more apps.
- reliable: no: Spotify & facebook are examples. Yes: Manga Blaze is really worth investing to. So it depends.

Do I recommend Win 10:
- No. See my pseudo first use experience.

vishalrao

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary Update: half Rant half Review (subjective!)

Didn't read your whole post, just the "sum up" part and I mostly agree - for me too the AU is kinda "meh". Really looking forward to RS2 - they're already started adding "features" like new sounds. I just started downloading 990 MB update just to hear what these new sounds are :grincry:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary Update: half Rant half Review (subjective!)

I mostly agree too. I like the additions, but hate what was removed really. Is it sad that I already want the next update, in hopes that things will be fixed? That was a big time fail to not show battery level if it is fully charged or if it is on battery saver. That's a very important thing to know.

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
3. Long pressing the "Windows" button doesn't bring the voice assistant anymore. Instead, it cuts the screen vertically in two, making only the lower half usable.Why would I possible need half a screen???

4. When in an app - game, mail, camera, etc., - pressing the Back button would go one step back each time and finaly exit and close the app. Ithought it was the same with W10M, until I decided to see all open apps. Much to my surprise, all apps I had browsed, were still open - just like in the abyssmal Android OS, which always drives me mad!!! Why, on Earth, did you do that??? If I want to leave an app open, I will simply exit without closing...

6. Pressing the WiFi button used to bring up the list with available networks... now it simply turns WiFi connection on and off. Phew...

3. One handed operation -- allows you to reach stuff at the top of the screen with your thumb.

4. Allows apps to resume faster. But I agree, I don't like it either.

6. Long press on the button still brings up the list.

geekahedron

May 16, 2013
Visit site
6. Long press on the button still brings up the list.

That's true of a number of tiles in the action center, short tap and long tap do different things. It's quite handly!

Wifi, Bluetooth, Battery Saver, Cellular Data, Mobile Hotspot, Airplane Mode, Quiet Hours, Location, Flashlight ... all use short tap to toggle on/off, and long press to go to the settings. Camera and Brightness also function as they used to with a short tap, and a long press similarly goes to the settings page.

Mike Nelson5

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
In W10M AU Edge mobile has taken a step back to 8 and 8.1 yep large, problematic rendering and scrambled text have returned to some websites that I have used with no issues over the last year and I haven't encountered since WP8 and 8.1 what the hell Microsoft!!!!!

mtbmike24

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
In W10M AU Edge mobile has taken a step back to 8 and 8.1 yep large, problematic rendering and scrambled text have returned to some websites that I have used with no issues over the last year and I haven't encountered since WP8 and 8.1 what the hell Microsoft!!!!!
Hard reset with no backup fixed my issues I hope that's the last time I have to do that after a OTA update.

Queen Kong1

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
If IOS 10 apple can get it right, Msoft is bigger you'd think they would........My opinions on 10 i think far cry from 8.1 needs to run as smooth!! Things like Facebook apps should have all features and work flawlessly! ......I'm not sure it's microsoft or the Devs fault ..Maybe Devs dont care about windows phones.....But i love the hardware.....I want it to be like IOS they've had enough time. Instead of sacking staff hire them!!!!!!!!:grincry::grincry::grincry::grincry:

Last edited:

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys,

using a Nokia Lumia 730 for about 18 months, was using a 800 (WP7) for 3 years before that.
3 or 4 days ago bought a MS 650 DS for my wife, and my initial impressions of W 10 M were very positive, so I decided to upgrade my own 730 to the new platform. It is not an Insider build, but rather the official version.

However, trying for 3 days is pushing me to revert to the old WP 8.1, and here are the reasons (things I DON'T like):

1. The QR reader, that was natively built in the OS is gone, and this was one great advantage over other OS... now it seems I have to rely on 3rd party apps...
2. Certain apps, like Here maps and Here drive are not supported and cannot be used any longer... and these were probably the best map and navi apps I have seen... They are still good on the WP 8.1. The MS maps service is way lower in quality and service. 3rd party apps again it seems...
3. Long pressing the "Windows" button doesn't bring the voice assistant anymore. Instead, it cuts the screen vertically in two, making only the lower half usable.Why would I possible need half a screen???
4. When in an app - game, mail, camera, etc., - pressing the Back button would go one step back each time and finaly exit and close the app. Ithought it was the same with W10M, until I decided to see all open apps. Much to my surprise, all apps I had browsed, were still open - just like in the abyssmal Android OS, which always drives me mad!!! Why, on Earth, did you do that??? If I want to leave an app open, I will simply exit without closing...
5. Another "Android-like" feature is the change of keyboards - instead of the dedicated button, now I have to swipe the space, just as it is in Android. Not a good idea.
6. Pressing the WiFi button used to bring up the list with available networks... now it simply turns WiFi connection on and off. Phew...
7. Viber was "updating" for 3 days, and I finally had to uninstall and reinstall it in order to use it...
8. The new FB skin is much worse (OK, that's subjective) than the older one and barely refreshes news feeds... I get to see the same content every time I open it.
9. Some apps, when started, just bring up a black screen, and nothing happens, until I exit and start them again...
10. Skype is now integrated in messaging. I was not able to find a way to separate both, and I don't like the OS to decide whether I want Skype to mess with my SMSs...
11. Overall the speed of the OS is slower than the WP 8.1 one.

Playing a bit with the 650, which came with W10M, makes me think there is a difference between whether W10M is genuine, or upgraded from WP 8.1. I will probably give the 10 a couple of days more, to prove me wrong, or else I would definitely go back to what I know is good.

Thanks, just my 2 cents.

Yeah, it?s a pity that WM10 is still full of bugs. Let's hope they get fixed quickly, we sure need some competition to Apple and Google.

Cheers

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
So on a positive note, I just learned that WP10 supports the aptX bluetooth standard. Via google:

aptX Bluetooth is a lossy subband ADPCM codec working at a bitrate of 352 kbps and thus capable of preserving the full bandwidth of a 16 bits stereo 44 kHz audio stream ("CD-like quality audio")

I had no idea this existed, and had stopped streaming audio to my receiver because bluetooth streaming sounded too bad. Turns out you can buy something like this Yamaha unit for $50 (there may be cheaper options) and stream pretty darn good quality music. It's awesome, I can finally conveniently play my 256kbps mp3s over decent speakers!

Queen Kong1

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, it�s a pity that WM10 is still full of bugs. Let's hope they get fixed quickly, we sure need some competition to Apple and Google.

Cheers

I'm wondering if its just a handful of people holding on now?, IDK anyone who uses a windows phone. :(....Shame but i really do think dev's gave up on it

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering if its just a handful of people holding on now?, IDK anyone who uses a windows phone. :(....Shame but i really do think dev's gave up on it
Well Microsoft kind of gave up on it first. :) I still have one (950XL), but I have to admit I'm checking for a good price on a used iPhone 6S plus pretty regularly.

Vasil Dechkov

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Didn't read your whole post, just the "sum up" part and I mostly agree - for me too the AU is kinda "meh". Really looking forward to RS2 - they're already started adding "features" like new sounds. I just started downloading 990 MB update just to hear what these new sounds are :grincry:

AU improved so much things. By the way, what sounds are you talking about?

vishalrao

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
I mean the built-in sounds like for notifications, ringtones, alarms etc... there were a new bunch when I last looked at the insider builds. You can hear/test them in the notifications settings area I believe.

badelhas

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Well Microsoft kind of gave up on it first. :) I still have one (950XL), but I have to admit I'm checking for a good price on a used iPhone 6S plus pretty regularly.
Yeah, it's really unfortunate but true. And they just confirmed that they will stop giving support to Windows Mobile 8.1 in July, I hope that Windows Mobile 10 dosent have the same fate. We need competition!

Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb