The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
06-15-2016 07:58 PM
276 ... 9101112
tools
    At this point , Many people compare OSs more often , i mean android ( dubbed it lagdroid) then comes ios, people dont seem to like it too although i personally feel "i products" are packed with great performance overall and fail to leave mark in UI only. My point here is that MS needs to work on its OS first and make it so acceptable that consumers dont whine about it when they load it into any flagship device. Hardware can be iterated evey 6 months but unless it is accompanied with functional OS i dont think many people ( still not all of them though ) can be satisfied, and we will be seeing same posts here in this forum only ,which is good for Forum though :)
    To the general public how functional the OS is irrelevant. It's the apps which raises the awareness. What MS needs to do is not a flagship, but having a giant *** icon which says "Windows Store" next to the "Available on iTunes Store, Google Play Store" on every single hit app ad which is currently missing now. If that doesn't come, no flagship would save W10M, and thankfully, MS has done what is REALLY needed to get that happening - easy porting of iOS and Android apps, and not focusing on the hardware.
    pjm1891 likes this.
    05-26-2015 04:53 AM
    To the general public how functional the OS is irrelevant. It's the apps which raises the awareness. What MS needs to do is not a flagship, but having a giant *** icon which says "Windows Store" next to the "Available on iTunes Store, Google Play Store" on every single hit app ad which is currently missing now. If that doesn't come, no flagship would save W10M, and thankfully, MS has done what is REALLY needed to get that happening - easy porting of iOS and Android apps, and not focusing on the hardware.
    I really dont see very big App-gap now, MS has most of the hit apps in the store. As is also quoted "out of 50 top apps Win store has over 45" ,and the number is continously increasing ,not too bad eh. You might not find official google apps but thats more of a fault on Google side. By functionality of OS i mean , i missed it, more stable and enriched with new feature such as improved notifications in terms of responding to them etc etc,more coverage of other MS devices, all of them without hurting the performance of OS which is already very good.
    Alain_A likes this.
    05-26-2015 05:21 AM
    People don't like IOS!??! How did you arrive at that conclusion?!? Gosh fanboys.
    theefman likes this.
    05-26-2015 05:43 AM
    I really dont see very big App-gap now, MS has most of the hit apps in the store. As is also quoted "out of 50 top apps Win store has over 45" ,and the number is continously increasing ,not too bad eh. You might not find official google apps but thats more of a fault on Google side. By functionality of OS i mean , i missed it, more stable and enriched with new feature such as improved notifications in terms of responding to them etc etc,more coverage of other MS devices, all of them without hurting the performance of OS which is already very good.
    Firstly there's a huge app gap in games, followed by peripheral apps (eg most smartTV now comes with an iOS or Android app, and you see those icons printed on the box and manuals), and secondly awareness sometimes does not have anything to do with "facts" like the pure number of apps in the store. If you don't see printed ads and peripheral boxes printed with a "Windows Store" icon along side those highly recognizable iTunes Store and Google Play icons that you see EVERYWHERE now, Windows 10 won't see any changes in marketshare because of lack of awareness, with or without a flagship.

Again, thankfully MS did things which actually matters - easy (almost direct port) of iOS and Android apps. Once the games apps starts to hit at around the same time as iOS and Android releases and you see Windows logos more and more, people will come around, THEN we should worry about flagships.
    05-26-2015 06:26 AM
    People don't like IOS!??! How did you arrive at that conclusion?!? Gosh fanboys.
    I meant if people dont like IOS this was one of the many reasons they give , static UI for a very long time .and since i was praising it i dont qualify to be a fanboy .
    05-26-2015 06:40 AM
    The 930 was the 2014 big release.
    It's the smaller 5" version of the 1520. Exactly same specs, except for display technology and size.
    05-26-2015 07:49 AM
    Firstly there's a huge app gap in games, followed by peripheral apps (eg most smartTV now comes with an iOS or Android app, and you see those icons printed on the box and manuals), and secondly awareness sometimes does not have anything to do with "facts" like the pure number of apps in the store. If you don't see printed ads and peripheral boxes printed with a "Windows Store" icon along side those highly recognizable iTunes Store and Google Play icons that you see EVERYWHERE now, Windows 10 won't see any changes in marketshare because of lack of awareness, with or without a flagship.

Again, thankfully MS did things which actually matters - easy (almost direct port) of iOS and Android apps. Once the games apps starts to hit at around the same time as iOS and Android releases and you see Windows logos more and more, people will come around, THEN we should worry about flagships.
    Funny thing is i used the same position to find out growing number of apps - noticing windows logo which says win app is available. For eg i used to heavily rely on phones for banking and stuff and after a long time i saw my bank's app on Win store and recently ive seen huge improvements as i see windows logo for most of the apps/services. On the game front i'd say it always takes time to bring bigger games , not all games came to android store instantly . MS is doing a lot to change the current status of app availability on its store and things are growing with a visible rate.

About awareness - i guess Win 10 has been in news for a long time now so everyone is aware of it .Once they land with it ,and i hope successfully, things are going to take brighter turn. Seems we both agree that we should not worry about flagship but pointing out different reasons.
    05-26-2015 07:55 AM
    My only issue is I'm going on 3 years this fall with my Lumia 920 and it's nonfunctional half of the time I use it. I unlock the phone only to see a black screen and I'm forced to hard reset the phone. Even when I get phone calls, sometimes very important calls, and I can't answer because of the black screen. I want a new phone but I don't want to buy a phone if a flagship is coming out. At least if I knew exactly how long to hold out I could plan my purchase accordingly. If I'm going to get a new phone, extending my contract another 2 years, I want a premium phone, and not a mid-grade and/or year old model.
    Last edited by MetalzAdvocate; 05-26-2015 at 12:03 PM.
    05-26-2015 08:30 AM
    If I'm going to get a new phone, extending my contract another 2 years, I want a premium phone, and not a mid-grade and/or year old model.
    No one said you had to have a contract and pay more for the new phone than it is worth.
    05-26-2015 03:19 PM
    Let me quote you one fine example about the app gap. But before that, app gap is not just about missing apps on the store, but also how well a similar app performs as compared to the version on iOS / Android.

Take the OneDrive app for example. Can you remove sharing permissions via the app on Windows Phone? Nope. Can't see such option / capability. But I can do that on the Android version! Even a MS made app is crippled so how do we expect good app supports from other developers? Also, the app performance on Android is so much better than the one on Windows Phone. Also, I don't get any notifications after downloads are completed on Windows Phone unlike on Android. Gaps like these are turning people off when using Windows Phones.
    chuckdaly likes this.
    05-26-2015 08:52 PM
    Take the OneDrive app for example. Can you remove sharing permissions via the app on Windows Phone? Nope. Can't see such option / capability. But I can do that on the Android version!
    Another capability to add to this is that you can automatically upload full resolution photos to OneDrive via mobile data on Android, but not on Windows Phone. That is, unless it changed recently.
    Laura Knotek, chmun77 and aximtreo like this.
    05-26-2015 09:18 PM
    Another capability to add to this is that you can automatically upload full resolution photos to OneDrive via mobile data on Android, but not on Windows Phone. That is, unless it changed recently.
    That is correct. I don't need to wait for WiFi to upload full resolution photos to OneDrive using Android. I upload them as soon as I take them when I'm on the go and using mobile data.
    aximtreo likes this.
    05-26-2015 11:31 PM
    Yep , that's a bummer, but i was influencing the need to make OS better and functional first,which ,in turn, means fixing this and several other issues.I cant say how difficult is this since i dont have much knowledge about whats happening at the backend of an app but its there when you open OneDrive over web browser.
    05-27-2015 12:37 AM
    I don't buy phones every time there's a new model out so I usually wait for the best phone and not nickel and dime my money year after year. I want the best of the best and nothing less. Therefore, I wait for a Flagship phone and not something just because it's new.
    05-27-2015 08:52 AM
    Let me quote you one fine example about the app gap. But before that, app gap is not just about missing apps on the store, but also how well a similar app performs as compared to the version on iOS / Android.

Take the OneDrive app for example. Can you remove sharing permissions via the app on Windows Phone? Nope. Can't see such option / capability. But I can do that on the Android version! Even a MS made app is crippled so how do we expect good app supports from other developers? Also, the app performance on Android is so much better than the one on Windows Phone. Also, I don't get any notifications after downloads are completed on Windows Phone unlike on Android. Gaps like these are turning people off when using Windows Phones.
    Onedrive on my old Nexus 4 performs better than it does on my L930.
    chmun77 and sweatshopking like this.
    05-27-2015 10:48 AM
    Onedrive on my old Nexus 4 performs better than it does on my L930.
    Indeed. Such a bummer. Things like these prevent me from using the 1520 as daily driver.
    05-28-2015 04:14 AM
    It's the smaller 5" version of the 1520. Exactly same specs, except for display technology and size.
    It's worse on multiple fronts vs the 1520. no sd, less comfortable to hold, no glance, crappier battery life, gets hotter
    i own both, and the 1520 is far superior, and older
    05-28-2015 09:06 PM
    That is correct. I don't need to wait for WiFi to upload full resolution photos to OneDrive using Android. I upload them as soon as I take them when I'm on the go and using mobile data.
    Does it do that automatically as a background service in android?

I'm always confused when my android friends lose a phone and have to get a new one. They seem to lose their contacts and files too. I always ask if they are in their google drive or account but they never seem to know.
    05-29-2015 12:42 PM
    Does it do that automatically as a background service in android?

I'm always confused when my android friends lose a phone and have to get a new one. They seem to lose their contacts and files too. I always ask if they are in their google drive or account but they never seem to know.
    This screenshot is from a WiFi only tablet, but the settings are available for all Android devices. Notice how I can select to upload using WiFi and mobile data. There is no mention of high quality, best quality, etc. If I choose upload using WiFi and mobile data., everything including videos is automatically uploaded at full resolution when I use my Android phone.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk
    05-29-2015 12:51 PM
    I'm Frustrated with people who are complaining about people who are complaining about no flagship Windows Phone devices.

Enough said
    05-29-2015 01:06 PM
    Many people have waited patiently (some not so) - 1020 and 920 are the longest owned devices I have, the app gap is still massive, How many banks around the world still don't have a WP app? How many hotels, how many airlines? the list is incredibly long.. Lets see what happens in a few months.
    06-08-2015 07:48 PM
    Many people have waited patiently (some not so) - 1020 and 920 are the longest owned devices I have, the app gap is still massive, How many banks around the world still don't have a WP app? How many hotels, how many airlines? the list is incredibly long.. Lets see what happens in a few months.

Yet through it all you've remained patient. That's admirable from my point of view but others will say it's either complacency or throwing in the towel. What some don't realize is that Android and iOS have the luxury of totally screwing up a release and not suffer much in the way of user base. Windows Mobile 10 needs to be on the mark from day 1.

Sent From An Ancient Motion Computing LE1700 On Windows 8.1 Pro.
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    06-09-2015 01:11 PM
    A lot of people are complaining about android and iPhones upgrading flagships too soon, once or twice a year. They haven't enjoyed the current one yet and here is a new one again. I am thankful that Microsoft is not doing the same, I got my L1520 a year ago and very much enjoying it. If Microsoft released another flagship too soon, I would be forced to dump this baby and get the new one.
    Harrie-S and M7H like this.
    06-10-2015 08:45 AM
    There needs to be a yearly flagship refresh. People are frequently on contracts of 2 yrs, and the hardware sellers need to flog their wares at all times. MS have been steady, but I understand shy. Hopefully they have now got enough experience to successfully launch the flagships.

And yes, they really do need to get it right. No halfhearted effort will suffice.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-20-2015 06:50 AM
    apparently no one follows the news the flagship phone could very well be the phone you currently use.

they are testing with the mi4 in china but are working on making even android phones and prolly more able to convert to a windows phone.the same as you would do a custom rom
    07-07-2015 01:50 AM
276 ... 9101112