Frustrated with "No Flagship" complaints

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
When a new budget/entry level/midrange phone comes out every week and all the flagships(ALL except the HTC 8X and One M8 for Windows) have been carrier exclusives(and only the 1520 has microSD expansion while many of the low end/entry level/midrange phones do) of course people are going to be tired of not having a current flagship. I'm on T-Mobile and the only "flagship" we got from Nokia had a max 16gb of storage while the 920 and 928 came with 32gb. Not even a valid reason to create three different versions of basically the same phone with different features. What a mess. Sure we could buy phones unlocked or from eBay like I had to do to enjoy the 920 and 1020 but why should we have to when a vast sea of competitor devices are available without hassle and missing carrier specific features such as WiFi calling and other nuances? And who's to say this year's flagships won't be exclusives again? Exactly the reason why I'm holding on to my Sony Xperia Z3 until it is confirmed that a flagship is indeed coming to T-Mobile.

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
re: Fustrated with "No Flagship" complaints

Microsoft screw up big time by not having a new flagship phone. Many of their better customers have gone back to the iPhone. They spend hundreds of millions in trying to get new customers but forgot to keep their current customer base in place. Totally wrong headed marketing move. Sure they want customers even the low end type but the loyal high end Windows Phone customers just do not want to be treated like dirty and can move! I think the high end customer is more valuable since they buy more things and have greater influence on others.

Windows Mobile 10 will not come out till November 2015 or later and if they sign on with Verizon again; Verizon might not release it till February 2016 like they did with the Icon and discontinue in September of the same year 2014!

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site

I would be surprised if T-Mobile ever had an exclusive again as that is just not their business anymore. As far as WiFi calling that should work regardless of the phone's origin as long as the phone and the carrier enable it. Most lumias do.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site

Microsoft screw up big time by not having a new flagship phone.
As previously discussed they have one every year, just not on a consistent date. I understand you would like a consistent date, we all would.

You want a goose that lays golden eggs, and a pony and you want it now Veruca Salt. I'm sure there are people in your life that trip over themselves trying to please you. Microsoft is not going to loose hundreds of Millions of dollars to prematurely release a phone because you "want it now". That would be the screw up.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

I'm seriously getting pissed off at people who continue to **** and moan about there not being a new flagship out right now. The information is out there and it's obvious why they have not, will not, and should not release a flagship until W10 is ready and installed. Yet these *BEEP*ers keep complaining like little children stomping their foot, making a face, and screaming to get their way.

I have a leather belt, I just need an airplane and some addresses.

Looks like starting this thread gave several of them an excuse to moan again. I'll send you the addresses that I have, and let you borrow my plane.

Here are the addresses I have:

You can choose any plane from among my holdings of 0 planes.

I guess I'm not much help here. I do have 2 extra leather belts you can borrow though. ;)

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site

You are missing out on a great Windows Flagship, The HTC M8 and don't give me any of that bad camera bull. You all seem to think it has to be a Nokia or Microsoft device to make it a good phone, and that is why Windows phone is going know where. Microsoft is not Apple and never will be, those people are just nuts, they would buy a toilet that didn't flush if it was made and sold by Apple. Do you think Andriod would be where it's at if only Samsung or LG built phones for it? I understand why Microsoft is making the cheaper phones, you can get them into more people's hands and build a user base. But until you embrace other Manufactures Windows phones the Flagship phones and App builders are going to be a slow process.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

While I can see why people are frustrated by the lack of flagship devices, we need to ask ourselves if 3-4 new flagship devices are NEEDED every single year when (a) most of the phones sold are in the low to mid range and (b) WP is highly optimised and doesn't need Android style specs to run it.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

You are missing out on a great Windows Flagship, The HTC M8 and don't give me any of that bad camera bull. You all seem to think it has to be a Nokia or Microsoft device to make it a good phone, and that is why Windows phone is going know where. Microsoft is not Apple and never will be, those people are just nuts, they would buy a toilet that didn't flush if it was made and sold by Apple. Do you think Andriod would be where it's at if only Samsung or LG built phones for it? I understand why Microsoft is making the cheaper phones, you can get them into more people's hands and build a user base. But until you embrace other Manufactures Windows phones the Flagship phones and App builders are going to be a slow process.

The HTC One M8 is only available in America so that means the rest of the world are SOL!!!

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

It doesn't matter the reason why Microsoft hasn't released a flagship phone. The truth is, they missed out by sitting on the sidelines while the competition stayed the course with their release schedules.

12 months is an eternity in the lifecycle of consumer electronics. If you don't refresh what you have to offer, you're going to lose a lot of customers or **** off those who are willing to wait around and hope. For me, personally, I decided to check out the competition while I waited, and guess what? I like what i've found and I've decided I'm not going back to Windows Phone. The best thing about it is I'm not pissed off anymore.

Exactly! I think they blew it big time. There are heaps of people not content with middle/low end hardware. Personally I'm one of those people that has to have the latest and greatest and because of that I'm using a Galaxy S6 now instead of my 930 and now I've been exposed to another ecosystem it's looking like I won't be back as the Microsoft app ecosystem is actually better on Android. Nokia handed them the best imaging on a smartphone only for Microsoft to squander it to the point that not only have the competition caught up but they've surpassed them. The images I get from the S6 blow my 930 away! And that argument about the Windows phone OS not needing high specs is garbage. It used to be so but hasn't been that way since WP 8.1 came out. I saw that...resuming.... **** plenty of times on my 930 so I imagine it would be heaps more prevalent on low end devices. On the S6 I can be playing Candy Crush, open another app to do something, then go back to Candy Crush like I'd never left. On my 930 I would lose that game and see that horrible "resuming" screen. Anyway my argument here is that they would have lost alot of people who have now been exposed to other ecosystems that wouldn't have been if they had've just released a flagship in the interim. Even just to appease spec lovers like myself and those that must have the latest n greatest coz there are plenty of those.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

No flagships is frustrating for some but to many flagships would be frustrating for me.
If a few weeks or month after I bought a flagship a new would come with "more" features I would be frustrated that I bought the "old" one.
(Even knowing that I would not use the "new" features because I even do not use all the features in my current flagship)

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

No flagships is frustrating for some but to many flagships would be frustrating for me.
If a few weeks or month after I bought a flagship a new would come with "more" features I would be frustrated that I bought the "old" one.
(Even knowing that I would not use the "new" features because I even do not use all the features in my current flagship)
Yeah that would be frustrating but most manufacturers only release 1 or 2 flagships a year. The only reason Samsung released 2 was because of the Edge. Microsoft are now at a year and a half (some might say longer), which is an eternity in tech terms.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

OTA updates are a thing. They can plan for it to get new features enabled

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

OTA updates are a thing. They can plan for it to get new features enabled

Indeed but I was thinking about a "better" camera, more RAM, "better" SoC, more internal storage, a SD card, use of the continuum feature, "better" battery.
Now from my above list I guess only a "better" camera can be "enabled" with an OTA update.(and maybe a "better" battery)

Maybe I also have to say that in my country nearly no phone is branded to a carrier so I could basically get every new unlocked phone.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

That's the point though, most of the sales don't come from the flagships which is why they cost so much money SIM free and why Microsoft aren't that bothered about creating a flagship each year.

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site

Who cares about a flagship from MS at this point anyways? Continuum looks great, and may be the single thing that could one day save WP if they can get their marketing strategy together, but the reality is not many people want a WP anyways and WP10 will not likely change that opinion by itself.

I'm all for WP hitting a turnaround point and finally becoming a success, but it's simply not necessary to enjoy all the other things MS is finally getting right. Windows 10 feels great (loving the preview so far aside from all the expected bugs), the Surface line is finally the amazing hybrid product it always wanted to be (albeit very expensive), and the Xbox One has tons of great exclusives and is getting game streaming to virtually any W10 PC in the house!

The best part of all the above? You don't need a Windows labeled device to compliment any of them. Outlook is my primary e-mail app now and it's on iOS and Android, as are Smart Glass and the full MS Office suite. Virtually any cellphone will give you the complimentary MS experience you require (excluding Xbox achievements... woohoo...). Thanks to launching Windows as a service, instead of a particular set of hardware, WP has no special advantages over any other device when it comes to complimenting Windows based hardware.

Just buy your standard Apple or Android flagship and enjoy pretty much everything a WP users would enjoy anyways... And then some, considering the app selections are far superior.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

A good policy might be too release one flagship a year for all carriers at the same time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I say we go back to flip phones and beepers. That way we're all equally miffed.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

That's the point though, most of the sales don't come from the flagships which is why they cost so much money SIM free and why Microsoft aren't that bothered about creating a flagship each year.
Flagships create mindshare though of which WP has 0% because of MS low end strategy. I hope Windows 10 saves WP but even if it does, and that's a big if, it's going to take far longer than people expect. Even with their development tools for x-platform it's going to be an uphill battle and the only way they even have a chance is if they knock one right out of the park with their (eventual) flagship release and produce something absolutely, totally revolutionary!

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

I'm going to bed lol I just realized it's 4am

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

Flagships create mindshare though of which WP has 0% because of MS low end strategy. I hope Windows 10 saves WP but even if it does, and that's a big if, it's going to take far longer than people expect. Even with their development tools for x-platform it's going to be an uphill battle and the only way they even have a chance is if they knock one right out of the park with their (eventual) flagship release and produce something absolutely, totally revolutionary!

Microsoft don't need mindshare, they need MARKETshare which is practically non existent at the moment. Targeting the mid to low end makes sense as that's where the sales are and seems to be where the marketshare is as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99