Frustrated with "No Flagship" complaints

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Re: Frustrated with "No Flagship" complaints

Wont matter if they are Atom or even Core based, anything under 8" gets the mobile SKU with no desktop so atom chips won't have any advantage there. And seeing as any handset will be based on current Qualcomm chip designs there are no hardware features they can't add to a phone now and activate with an upgrade later (unless they are going to d?but a completely new innovation which is unlikely). 4K recording, anyone?
I thought Joe b had made it clear Continuum needs new chips?

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
SERIOUSLY? What, you don't think they could release a device that has more features even though it's running WP8.1? They did it with LESSER devices. They could still do it. They could dramatically improve the camera (giving me a 20mp camera when I'm still enjoying a 41mp one that STILL takes better pictures than anything is lame, as far as I'm concerned). And they could put out a REAL flagship and say "you'll be able to enjoy the following new capabilities running 8.1.x, but when W10 comes out there are some other features on the device that you'll be able to take advantage of"....and then leave it to the USER to decide if they want to continue using WP8.1.x or DOWNGRADE to crappy W10 just to access additional hardware-supported features.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

I thought Joe b had made it clear Continuum needs new chips?

I would think the snapdragon 810 would suffice, highly unlikely Microsoft will be able to release new hardware based on newer chips like the 815 and 820 which are rumored for later this year: they are still releasing phones based on the SD400 while others have moved to the 410, even small OEM's like Blu. He did state new HARDWARE, would be required, so probably not restricted to new CPUs.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

I would think the snapdragon 810 would suffice, highly unlikely Microsoft will be able to release new hardware based on newer chips like the 815 and 820 which are rumored for later this year: they are still releasing phones based on the SD400 while others have moved to the 410, even small OEM's like Blu. He did state new HARDWARE, would be required, so probably not restricted to new CPUs.
It'll suffice for Windows 10 Phone, but not to enable Continuum on it.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

It'll suffice for Windows 10 Phone, but not to enable Continuum on it.

Well there is no sign of newer Qualcomm chips so far, in fact its looking like they are slated just for sampling by the end of the hear http://www.electronista.com/article....64.bits.kryo.architecture.zeroth.technology/ http://www.phonearena.com/news/Snap...PU-Qualcomms-first-custom-64-bit-core_id66686 so I find it hard to believe Microsoft will be releasing devices based on anything newer then what's available now.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

so I find it hard to believe Microsoft will be releasing devices based on anything newer then what's available now.
Bingo. And yet people still cling to the idea of a "summer" release.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
SERIOUSLY? What, you don't think they could release a device that has more features even though it's running WP8.1? They did it with LESSER devices. They could still do it. They could dramatically improve the camera (giving me a 20mp camera when I'm still enjoying a 41mp one that STILL takes better pictures than anything is lame, as far as I'm concerned). And they could put out a REAL flagship and say "you'll be able to enjoy the following new capabilities running 8.1.x, but when W10 comes out there are some other features on the device that you'll be able to take advantage of"....and then leave it to the USER to decide if they want to continue using WP8.1.x or DOWNGRADE to crappy W10 just to access additional hardware-supported features.

Maybe they can but they don't do it is that so difficult to grasp?

And you obvious do not like it but as long as you not leading or owning Microsoft ranting about this will also not change Microsoft decision.

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Fustrated with "No Flagship" complaints

I believe that Verizon demanded an exclusive for the Icon. This meant that no other US carriers could get the 930. Microsoft caved to Verizon's demands, only to see Verizon discontinue selling the Icon after only around 6 months.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

That is only half of it! Verizon was suppose to sell it November 2013 but decide to hold the release till February 2014 and discontinued it in September 2014!

Basically the U.S. Market has been without a flagship WP that is available to more then one carrier since 2012!

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

610 and I think the the 615 is going be release next month! 410 release back in February and 415 in May.

Not sure if 810 still has heating issues?

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site

Nope as they stated plain as day that the hardware they needed was not ready at all. But I guess they could throw something out just to appease the people that need something shiny and new. Then watch them whine when the real flagship comes out and the rushed out for mindshare device can't do half the things the real fall flagship can do.

Last edited:

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site

IMO the 810 in all it's fail won't be what they use. I may be wrong but IMO it will be an atom chip from intel to go with the other new hardware they want to use.

Tsepz_GP

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Was wondering why we hadn't seen any flagship since the rather average 930, this thread explains a lot.

Friend of mine got a 1520 then got bored and got the Note 4 just after I got my Note 4, he has pretty much written off WP. I was close to going WP late last year, but when a 1520 successor did not arrive I simply gave up.

Hope the W10 Phones are more interesting than the WP8.1 devices, the 1520 seemed to be the only truly incredible device.

richwolf

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm happy with my L1020 so I don't mind waiting a few more months for new OS and hardware. My 2 yr. contract was over last November so I'm overdue. I'd rather get it right than get it fast.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

IMO the 810 in all it's fail won't be what they use. I may be wrong but IMO it will be an atom chip from intel to go with the other new hardware they want to use.

They have confirmed that an 810 is going in to a device coming with the W10 launch.

todd7900

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
A couple of observations about the "flagship" issue.
1st, everyone forgets the loss of McLaren. While we can lament the lack of a backup plan, personally I am glad they nixed a flawed device instead of pushing it out and try and justify or fix something that was broken.
2nd, a seeming trend by the US carriers is the pull back from subsidizing phones. As the subsidizing falls away and the US consumer discovers the cost of a Flagship (iPhone 6, Galaxy S6, M9, etc.) is north of $600, I really believe (and I expect Microsoft does too) a not un-sizable portion of the market is going to be looking for cheaper alternatives. This is exactly where MS has their strengths, the 830, 735, 640 all have excellent capabilities and price points that could be much more palatable to non-subsidized consumers. While there are pretty good Android devices in this range the only alternative in the iOS world is to stay with the 5 and people have proven they want larger screen sizes.

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
A couple of observations about the "flagship" issue.
1st, everyone forgets the loss of McLaren. While we can lament the lack of a backup plan, personally I am glad they nixed a flawed device instead of pushing it out and try and justify or fix something that was broken.
2nd, a seeming trend by the US carriers is the pull back from subsidizing phones. As the subsidizing falls away and the US consumer discovers the cost of a Flagship (iPhone 6, Galaxy S6, M9, etc.) is north of $600, I really believe (and I expect Microsoft does too) a not un-sizable portion of the market is going to be looking for cheaper alternatives. This is exactly where MS has their strengths, the 830, 735, 640 all have excellent capabilities and price points that could be much more palatable to non-subsidized consumers. While there are pretty good Android devices in this range the only alternative in the iOS world is to stay with the 5 and people have proven they want larger screen sizes.

It may true of the Android smartphone buyers but definitely not for Apple buyers that pay a premium for all Apple products including iPhone.

More then one retail carrier sales associate has label WP, the poor person phone!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It may true of the Android smartphone buyers but definitely not for Apple buyers that pay a premium for all Apple products including iPhone.
I live in a working class neighborhood. The majority of Android devices I see when I'm out in my neighborhood are Samsung Galaxy or Samsung Note, not cheap Androids.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Noticed the Apple 5c for ?15.50 pm yesterday. Which is also the price point that I see the 735, 830 and 640. So I reckon that I will soon be seeing more of them around. I may be alone in this, but in addition to a couple of flagships, I am also hoping that MS start pushing some mid range stuff. Something that utilises more than a Snapdragon 400. The next gen 415 and 615 Snapdragons need to get in there. Perhaps they will trickle out in the Spring. Damn, I wish MS had the option to stick in the 815 and 820 Snapdragons in to this year's flagships. Sadly, they arrive too late.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb