Why is my phone using the sd card to install Windows 10?

Palash Maske

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
why is my phone using the sd card to install windows 10?

I have 1.7 gb free in the phone storage of my lumia 730...when i am trying to install the windows 10 mobile technical preview....it gets downloaded but when the phone tries to install it.....it gives the error that the phone tried to install it using the sd card and a problem occurred. Why is this happening...isn't 1.7gb phone storage enough to install windows 10?

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Re: why is my phone using the sd card to install windows 10?

I'm back on 8.1 now but I'm pretty sure you need 3 or 4 gb free for the installation

Palash Maske

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site

To clear some place in the phone memory....i reset my phone....i had a more than 3.5gb of space...and then downloaded the windows insider app....but it crashed every single time....what am i supposed to do now!!

pfeerick

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Most definitely incorrect. One post windows insider forum refers to approximately 1.91GB of free space needed on the phones internal storage. I've been encountering this same error on a Lumina 530, and according that thread, the issue is because W10 CTP doesn't support installing via a SD card yet,. Apparently it will download to the SD card if you don't have enough free internal storage, and thus fail every time. So if you are lucky enough to have that much internal storage free, they suggest you pull the SD card and try again.

Since I can't post links yet, do a search for "Windows 10 Technical preview update fails because of error 801882c1" and you should find the thread on the Microsoft answers forum.

AkArora

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

I have 1.7 gb free in the phone storage of my lumia 730...when i am trying to install the windows 10 mobile technical preview....it gets downloaded but when the phone tries to install it.....it gives the error that the phone tried to install it using the sd card and a problem occurred. Why is this happening...isn't 1.7gb phone storage enough to install windows 10?

Apparently when you don't have enough space in the internal memory, the updates are downloaded to memory card. I had the same problem, and my memory card was kind of corrupt (slow speeds), I knew that before hand.

I removed the memory card altogether (Lumia 830) and freed up a little over 2 GB internal and downloaded the build again. And it went along well.

Brad Austin1

Nov 17, 2016
Visit site
NO, what he's referring to or at least my problem, I go to "Files" app and deleted EVERYTHING thaw was on the phone, those I did not I placed on SD card 32gb (think).

When I go into storage in settings it shows 6.8gb, ~458mb remaining.

OK so all apps are on SD when I go through every folder empty, I deleted internet files and even got s cleanup app.

So I go to insider and pick slow ring and it downloads and I put slow ring.

Ok so I have 480mb phone and 25fb on SD, So I push install and it does normal update restart and line and picture of SD card (taking files from SD I guess) and then loads windows and I can see logo is still same (I had win 10 on old Nokia) and same OS nyt an error comes up I can't quote it but something very close to cannot install from SD card, either that or cannot access SD card.

I've tried all resets and now I can't use software removal tool or access my backed up OS (I followed the list Microsoft gives you prior to installing Beta OS.

Thanks for your help been searching for 3 hours or so...

Brad Austin1

Nov 17, 2016
Visit site
It is to big 485mb free on phone. I think its over 1.5gb I got another solution in going to try, but I think your idea probably is the best, Thanks!

alneumann

Dec 23, 2018
Visit site
Re: Removed SD card and

Hello!
I'll try to give you my solution to the 0x801882c1 error here. Hope this works for you too, or leads you to the “fix” in some other way!
I actually had upgraded my Nokia 1520 from v8.1 to Windows 10 Mobile (WP10M) previously without any issues*. However, when it automatically attempted to run a more recent update to its WP10M version it ran into the “sad face of death”... (which I found impossible to work around regardless all the advice on the web). So, I tried to restore my phone first back to 8.1 via Windows Device Recovery Tool (WDRT) in order to re-update it to WP10M (and then reinstall all my apps from a backup). It seemed to restore okay, however I then ran into this 0x801882c1 error which would not let me upgrade from 8.1 to WP10M.
I tried using the WDRT multiple times to restore my phone then re-upgrade it to WP10M however it kept erroring out with 0x801882c1 (at least 10 times). On some attempts I tried upgrading to WP10M without first restoring my apps and sometimes after restoring my apps (onto v8.1), along with some other variances, but these attempts made no difference and always hit the 0x801882c1 error.
Then, on a last-ditch hunch, I simply used the (v8.1) Settings, Update Phone's “Restore” option to reset it all (instead of using the Windows Recovery Tool) and surprisingly found the upgrade process to WP10M working (no more 0x801882c1)!!! ;-)
Now, I can't say for an absolute fact that this is the “fix” for everyone, but it worked for me. I'm “guessing” that there is some small difference between the WDRT restore and the built-in (v8.1) “Restore” process that more appropriately clears the phone's storage and avoids the 0x801882c1 error. (?) Now I just have to figure out how to prevent the 1520 from automatically attempting to upgrade WP10M so it doesn't hit the “sad face of death” again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos