Android Apps running natively in Win 10?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
This definitely looks interesting. Even thought it's not a public announcement from Microsoft, stating this within a "job posting" for the Project Astoria team says a lot and adds a lot of weight.

I'm curious to see how this will be finalized. Looking forward to it, even.

From careers.microsoft.com
Our Astoria team is delivering a set of new experiences for consumers and developers with the potential to make a huge difference for the Windows platform. The Astoria bridge enables Android developers to publish their unchanged binary to run as they are on the Windows mobile platform. This is a first for our Windows platform received enthusiastically by the Android community.
So it appears Windows Phone will be capable of running Android apps, IF the developer will publish it to the Windows Store, without any additional cost of maintaining a Windows Phone app.

However, it won't be a Universal app, as from the wording here it will work only on the Windows mobile platform.

Perhaps the parts of Android required to do this aren't being included in all of Windows 10, only the mobile platform? I certainly hope this changes, as it will need to be included for larger tablets and Xbox I am sure. Not to mention there are banking apps I would love to have on my laptop. ;)

Last edited:

bradm77

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
SNAPCHAT. Also Spiceworks and SNAPCHAT. It would also be nice to have Square Register and SNAPCHAT.

Did I mention SNAPCHAT?? LOL

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Guys, remember that Google Play Services are still a big hurdle.

Check out people over at CrackBerry for the issues they've seen.

Although I hope the iOS project bears fruit as well.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Wondering if they'll go a similar route as Blackberry did and being able to sideload .apk files. I honestly don't care how it's done but whatever would allow us to get some of these apps on our phones that we'll potentially never have on Win Mobile is a HUGE bonus. Plus I'll finally be able to lure a few of those friends over that are dying for a "fresh" smartphone makeover but don't want to leave their apps behind.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Guys, remember that Google Play Services are still a big hurdle.

Check out people over at CrackBerry for the issues they've seen.

Although I hope the iOS project bears fruit as well.

My understanding is that when the developers upload the app to the Microsoft Store, the conversion is done there. The way I understand it, is that the conversion will replace calls to Google Play Services with calls to Microsoft Services and all are able to be duplicated and properly re-routed. That's the way I understand it, at least. We'll have to see how it plays out in real life.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss