08-10-2015 03:04 PM
226 ... 23456 ...
tools
    This is so sad. People are so desperate for apps that they are willing to take scraps and hand me downs.

Just when I started settling back in with windows phone and enjoying the os things like this make me so frustrated. There goes any hope of native windows app. We are the new blackberry.
    08-08-2015 02:06 PM
    Guys remember this isn't even a public release of the project so there WILL be problems!
    Plus also the deployment tool is designed for developers to be able to test their own applications. The 'public release' of this tool still won't be for end-users, but developers. The goal isn't for end-users to deploy their Android devices to their own devices, but for developers to submit their APK (sometimes requiring modifications for Google services) to the Store after debugging and testing their application so that only then we can purchase and download those apps as normal.
    08-08-2015 02:09 PM
    This is so sad. People are so desperate for apps that they are willing to take scraps and hand me downs.

Just when I started settling back in with windows phone and enjoying the os things like this make me so frustrated. There goes any hope of native windows app. We are the new blackberry.
    Why look at the empty half here... If a developer can tap a new market with minimum effort that would be great.... If windows turned out to be what Microsoft hope it to be, they can then invest in making a native app.
    TechAbstract likes this.
    08-08-2015 02:15 PM
    Has anyone tried it on an unsupported phone,like the 635? I wanna test it out but my 635 is my daily driver,so IDK
    I saw yesterday said 635 was supported which totally surprised me.

That's not to say it will work... Just saying some documentation says it is.

Note that the purpose of this tool is for developers to get more apps in the store. Wait a few months until WM10 is released and just enjoy the influx of apps!

The goal is for end users to not really know or care about the tools!
    RumoredNow likes this.
    08-08-2015 02:29 PM
    Why look at the empty half here... If a developer can tap a new market with minimum effort that would be great.... If windows turned out to be what Microsoft hope it to be, they can then invest in making a native app.
    There is a big difference between Microsoft writing a native App or a Developer using the tools to properly port their App as opposed to normal users taking a leaked version of the tool and sideloading cracked apks to their devices.

I'm confident in believing no one at Microsoft, no indie developer, no development house - none of them are sitting back right now saying, "Wow. Users can take this method and bork my app and make it look bad, can sideload it without giving me any credit in the store for downloads, for payment, for proper credit with my ad revenue program, can risk their devices and potentially expose them to harm all while infringing on my intellectual property in any number of ways. Gosh, I think that is great and I must support it." Nope. Not what the repercussions of this leak are going to create as a reaction.

It puts the community in a bad light to see so many rushing to embrace this "methodology" without examining what it entails to do this.
    08-08-2015 02:36 PM
    As for people using the tool for 'cracked apps'.. I can't say that across the board. There are many other 'app stores' besides Google's. Just because an app or game is an .apk doesn't automatically make it 'cracked'. There are numerous Android Consoles, Mini-PCs, etc that use side-loaded .APKs all the time. And Android is NOT a closed system, hence the many forks. Someone go tell Amazon that they're breaking the law, because they build that Fire TV console, running an Android fork, and providing they're own .apk distribution service. LOL.
    08-08-2015 02:48 PM
    I am getting the following:
    1138 KB/s (44388131 bytes in 38.086s)
    - waiting for device -
    08-08-2015 02:57 PM
    I submit that running the apk through the Tool, unless you are the Developer who wrote the code, cracks the apk.

I don't know what else you would explain it as.
    Not publishing on Windows Stores is exactly supporting it. It was fun hacking Windows, right? Now it will be fun hacking Android, and IOS soon :D.
    As for people using the tool for 'cracked apps'.. I can't say that across the board. There are many other 'app stores' besides Google's. Just because an app or game is an .apk doesn't automatically make it 'cracked'. There are numerous Android Consoles, Mini-PCs, etc that use side-loaded .APKs all the time. And Android is NOT a closed system, hence the many forks. Someone go tell Amazon that they're breaking the law, because they build that Fire TV console, running an Android fork, and providing they're own .apk distribution service. LOL.
    This is true. On my Kindle Fire I sometimes side load Firefox nightly builds from the Firefox website. All totally legal and one of the benefits of an 'open' platform.

Yes, some will abuse the system but most users will never download anything outside the stores.
    Right now people are excited to see what the tool is capable of and so there will be illegal testing happening.. But I doubt that will be the norm later.

The videos I've seen look impressive. Looking forward to Android developers releasing their apps into the Windows store! After all, Windows mobile will likely be a more secure place to run Android apps than Android phones :)
    hiya15 and xandros9 like this.
    08-08-2015 03:05 PM
    I submit that running the apk through the Tool, unless you are the Developer who wrote the code, cracks the apk.

I don't know what else you would explain it as.
    Actually running an unmodified apk on Windows phone is not cracking anything.

Code is just running as intended on a Java interpreter.

Now the tool that rips out Google services is most definitely cracking. But in many instances that would not be necessary.

And of course the legality of running an apk is a separate conversation based on source.
    RumoredNow, xandros9 and mandong like this.
    08-08-2015 03:10 PM
    This is true. On my Kindle Fire I sometimes side load Firefox nightly builds from the Firefox website. All totally legal and one of the benefits of an 'open' platform.

Yes, some will abuse the system but most users will never download anything outside the stores.
    Right now people are excited to see what the tool is capable of and so there will be illegal testing happening.. But I doubt that will be the norm later.

The videos I've seen look impressive. Looking forward to Android developers releasing their apps into the Windows store! After all, Windows mobile will likely be a more secure place to run Android apps than Android phones :)
    I also use Firefox Nightly on my Android devices, as well as on my Windows and Linux PCs.

My concern about this leak is that dishonest people will use it to crack Android apps. We already have issues involving Windows developers having their code stolen and seeing copies of their apps in the Windows Store.
    08-08-2015 03:19 PM
    i wonder why the mods dont understand that this is not illegal. There are not altering of the applications themself, its like running windows on a mac...thats not supported by microsoft, but not illegal.
    08-08-2015 03:25 PM
    i wonder why the mods dont understand that this is not illegal. There are not altering of the applications themself, its like running windows on a mac...thats not supported by microsoft, but not illegal.
    Running Windows on a Mac is perfectly legal as long as one has a retail version of Windows that he/she purchased. However, running a pirated version of Windows on a Mac is illegal.

It is up to developers to use Project Astoria to port their Android apps to the Windows Store. That is legal. Regular users taking Android apps and using them on Windows 10 Mobile is not legal.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk
    08-08-2015 03:35 PM
    Running Windows on a Mac is perfectly legal as long as one has a retail version of Windows that he/she purchased. However, running a pirated version of Windows on a Mac is illegal.

It is up to developers to use Project Astoria to port their Android apps to the Windows Store. That is legal. Regular users taking Android apps and using them on Windows 10 Mobile is not legal.

I have a llegally purchased app from an alternative android app store. The app store allows purchasers to save a back-up of the app (in apk format of course). ... So it would be illegal for me to run my app on Windows Mobile, even though I purchased and own my copy of the app? I don't know why it would be ok to run even a legal copy of Windows on any other device but Windows, under that reasoning.

But really.. I think the whole deal is that no one wants people getting illigal copies of apps. I agree. But to say iit's ok to have or put an app or os on a device in one instance, but not ok in another exact SAME instance... is playing favorites.
    mandong and Spectrum90 like this.
    08-08-2015 03:52 PM
    Someone go tell Amazon that they're breaking the law, because they build that Fire TV console, running an Android fork, and providing they're own .apk distribution service. LOL.
    You left out a huge point that Amazon makes deals with developers. Amazon isn't a rogue company that sits back and just gathers apks and distributes them.

As for this tool, it's blackberry 2 years ago. Look at the strides BB10 has made /s
    Laura Knotek, a5cent and tgp like this.
    08-08-2015 04:10 PM
    This is not an emulator. It does not simply run the app as is. It alters the app which is based on some person's intellectual property and is no one else's to alter except under very narrow instances of licensing.

I think that, by and large, most apk's are not "free and open" licensed. I'm sure there are some, but do not imagine it is a statistically relevant portion of the Apps people are after with this "methodology."

In terms of other stores outside of Play (Amazon being one mentioned) it is hoped that the App developer has placed the App there knowingly and has an agreement with the store. In those cases, yes, it is perfectly commonplace to peruse and use apps under the Terms Of Service of that store. In the cases where the App developer has not placed the App and has no agreement with the store that is piracy even if the original is a "free" App. Piracy is not necessarily about money, although that is the most actionable instance. Rather, Piracy is the infringement on the Intellectual Property Rights of the owner. Refer back to the licensing of the work and the TOS of the source where you acquired it.
    08-08-2015 04:14 PM
    For what it is worth, as an interested party I have familiarized myself with aspects of the DMCA.

It's great reading. :D

http://www.copyright.gov/legislation/dmca.pdf
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-08-2015 04:18 PM
    this is one BIG NEWS indeed....
    08-08-2015 04:23 PM
    For what it is worth, as an interested party I have familiarized myself with aspects of the DMCA.

It's great reading. :D

http://www.copyright.gov/legislation/dmca.pdf
    "Doesn't 'open source' just mean something is free of charge?

No. This is a common misconception about what "open source" implies. Programmers can charge money for the open source software they create or to which they contribute. But because most open source licenses require them to release their source code when they sell software to others, many open source software programmers find that charging users money for software services and support (rather than for the software itself) is more lucrative. This way, their software remains free of charge and they make money helping others install, use, and troubleshoot it."

http://opensource.com/resources/what-open-source

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk
    RumoredNow likes this.
    08-08-2015 04:38 PM
    (Copy paste from a closed thread [just to make an unique thread and prevent threads with same contents])

Hello guys,
    Project Astoria use Android version 4.4.4 (That's why apk based on Lollipop 5.x doesn't work (it's freeze on -waiting for device-)):

Build: KTU84Q test-keys
    Build fingerprint: 'Android/ArcadiaArm/ArcadiaArm:4.4.4/KTU84Q/eng.osgstrsa.20150623.123002:user/test-keys'

The kernel version is 3,4,0:

Kernel: Linux version 3.4.0-Microsoft (Microsoft [AT] Microsoft,com) (gcc version 4.7 (GCC) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Dec 31 14:42:53 PST 2014

Project Astoria is running in a virtual machine "Hyper-V" (That's why it doesn't work on 512 MB RAM devices):

Command line: initrd=/initrd.img root=/dev/ram0 rw androidboot.hardware=hyperv console=tty0 console=ttyS0 video=hyperv_fb:1024x768 BOOT_IMAGE=/kernel

The OS is running with test-keys signature and it has SU binary installed.

Memory info:

MemTotal: 1031052 kB
    MemFree: 680736 kB
    Buffers : 34032 kB
    Cached : 188576 kB
    SwapCached : 0 kB
    Active : 167556 kB
    Inactive : 157876 kB
    Active(anon) : 103104 kB
    Inactive(anon) : 17440 kB
    Active(file) : 64452 kB
    Inactive(file) : 140436 kB
    Unevictable : 0 kB
    Mlocked : 0 kB
    HighTotal : 139208 kB
    HighFree : 272 kB
    LowTotal : 891844 kB
    LowFree : 680464 kB
    SwapTotal : 0 kB
    SwapFree : 0 kB
    Dirty : 0 kB
    Writeback : 0 kB
    AnonPages : 102824 kB
    Mapped : 71404 kB
    Shmem : 17720 kB
    Slab : 13868 kB
    SReclaimable : 6744 kB
    SUnreclaim : 7124 kB
    KernelStack : 2848 kB
    PageTables : 2524 kB
    NFS_Unstable : 0 kB
    Bounce : 0 kB
    WritebackTmp : 0 kB
    CommitLimit : 515524 kB
    Committed_AS : 3450064 kB
    VmallocTotal : 122880 kB
    VmallocUsed : 21296 kB
    VmallocChunk : 66044 kB
    DirectMap4k : 12280 kB
    DirectMap4M : 897024 kB

Running processes info:

see the Attachment

DUMPED Astoria system! [Uploading...] (Wait about 1-2 hours because my connection is very slow)

Attached build.prop
    Attached Thumbnails processes.png  
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ADeltaX; 08-08-2015 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Added info
    Gautam Kabiraj and hiya15 like this.
    08-08-2015 04:41 PM
    I'm not here to argue about platforms or anything but honestly, reading through this thread... as a BlackBerry users I can't help but see all the exact same discussions here as on CrackBerry with the BlackBerry 10 Android Runtime. I know MS implied it's different but really, it doesn't seem to be at this point. All the same errors and issues you all are having, are the same errors BlackBerry users had to deal with in regards to sideloading Android apps when it was introduced. No Google Play Services, apps not working, app crashes etc etc. I find this incredibly interesting to follow and look forward to seeing the progress you folks make.
    08-08-2015 04:51 PM
    I'm not here to argue about platforms or anything but honestly, reading through this thread... as a BlackBerry users I can't help but see all the exact same discussions here as on CrackBerry with the BlackBerry 10 Android Runtime. I know MS implied it's different but really, it doesn't seem to be at this point. All the same errors and issues you all are having, are the same errors BlackBerry users had to deal with in regards to sideloading Android apps when it was introduced. No Google Play Services, apps not working, app crashes etc etc. I find this incredibly interesting to follow and look forward to seeing the progress you folks make.
    The other big issue is that native BlackBerry app development pretty much disappeared.
    a5cent, FinancialP and RumoredNow like this.
    08-08-2015 05:08 PM
    so basically I tested this out, found some problems, fixed those problems and then couldn't find any apps that I actually wanted to download. guess the app gap is a lot smaller than it used to be :P
    08-08-2015 05:29 PM
    The only 2 apps I don't have are Chase and the android version of Words with Friends. The WP version sucks..
    08-08-2015 05:47 PM
226 ... 23456 ...