The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
08-10-2015 03:04 PM
226 ... 45678 ...
tools
    I don't see the problem here. People from Linux download Windows Apps and install with Wine. For them, is totally normal and legal.
    It will only be illegal if the developer does not provide the apk on their website.
    If you download Firefox, it's legal. If download snapchat is illegal.

And currently, installing apps is not restricted to developers (But Astoria it's restricted to a small number of people)
    In Windows Phone 8.1, to install apps you need a dev account, but on Windows 10 Mobile not (just like Android and Windows PC).
    So to be 100% legal, just wait for the end of month when Microsoft release Project Astoria (and it will work better. 10166 build was compiled on 05 of July)
    mandong, Vlad C and Yazen like this.
    08-09-2015 01:24 AM
    There is a big difference between Microsoft writing a native App or a Developer using the tools to properly port their App as opposed to normal users taking a leaked version of the tool and sideloading cracked apks to their devices.

I'm confident in believing no one at Microsoft, no indie developer, no development house - none of them are sitting back right now saying, "Wow. Users can take this method and bork my app and make it look bad, can sideload it without giving me any credit in the store for downloads, for payment, for proper credit with my ad revenue program, can risk their devices and potentially expose them to harm all while infringing on my intellectual property in any number of ways. Gosh, I think that is great and I must support it." Nope. Not what the repercussions of this leak are going to create as a reaction.

It puts the community in a bad light to see so many rushing to embrace this "methodology" without examining what it entails to do this.
    Ok, first apologies for the "they" at my last sentence, it refers back to the developers not Microsoft, please reread my comment maybe it makes more sense now.

secondly, i totally agree with what you are saying, but please let us be real.... lets talk numbers....

the number of people who side load/ would side load and do such things are a very small group (compared to the population), i would estimate less than 3% - 5% of the population.

now, considering that very small percentage, knowing that you can do this stuff on Android it self and the risk of people doing it is already happening, i would say that the number of people who do this on android (the less than 3% - 5%) are a bigger number than "all" windows phone users at the moment.

so if we already have 3% - 5% of android users doing these stuff, add to them 0.01% - 0.03% from windows phone and you got a new group, that is hardly larger than the first one.

at the end, developers who are upset of this, should have never developed to Android, but they know that these numbers hardly affect their revenues, that's why they do it anyway.
    08-09-2015 01:29 AM
    it is not allowed asking/posting for a link in comment(because it is public)
    08-09-2015 01:45 AM
    it is not allowed asking/posting for a link in comment(because it is public)
    Is it not allowed.

Windows Central is taking a hard line on posting of links to these tools, direct or indirect. Please do not post links or directions in comments as you risk having the post deleted. Continued abuse of this rule may result in account termination.

Please see this article from Daniel Rubino, the Editor In Chief at this site.
    08-09-2015 01:48 AM
    Why look at the empty half here... If a developer can tap a new market with minimum effort that would be great.... If windows turned out to be what Microsoft hope it to be, they can then invest in making a native app.
    I choose to be realistic. Not delusional.
    08-09-2015 04:26 AM
    I don't want to argue, but Blackberry started off with the exact same convoluted steps before they eventually caved in and packaged the Amazon App Store so users didn't have to do the tedious steps.
    Amazon app store coming to windows build 2016. Calling it now.
    08-09-2015 04:34 AM
    And I'll be back to tell you that you were wrong when it doesn't happen.
    08-09-2015 04:40 AM
    Is it really your contention that using this leaked tool does not alter a thing? If the tool does not alter anything, what use is it?

Do you really believe that maintaining the published form of a work is not protected under copyright?

What part of Windows 10 becomes an emulator? Microsoft has clearly stated that the goal and end result of Project Astoria is NOT emulation.
    ADB is used to deploy the app onto a Windows 10 mobile device. You're not modifying anything in the app when you're deploying it.

Apparently, the subsystem that maps Android API calls coming from the app to Windows 10 for mobile API calls is already included in the last W10P build that's why Android apps are able to run. No emulation involved.

The leaked tools are just used for deployment, not for "cracking".
    Last edited by mandong; 08-09-2015 at 06:11 AM.
    08-09-2015 04:49 AM
    And I'll be back to tell you that you were wrong when it doesn't happen.
    I hope to be wrong but this is not much different from blackberry.
    Laura Knotek and flyingsolid like this.
    08-09-2015 07:03 AM
    I think the Project Astoria has the bigger game on W10 mobile, designed more for mobile games.
    Though, the Project Islandwood is more on transforming the app to go On both pc and mobile with universal apps.
    08-09-2015 07:09 AM
    I have just received a notification of Clash of Clans. I read yesterday that notifications aren't supposed to be working. How can this be explained?
    08-09-2015 07:33 AM
    Deployed Facebook, WhatsApp , twitter , snapchat and 2-3 games on friend's 830 (my phones aren't supported ;630,1020).
    Surprisingly, Facebook,WhatsApp ,twitter apps are working better than the native ones with no resuming/loading screens and notifications are working too without any delays.
    Snapchat isn't working; google play service problem -_-
    now, he can fool andro-guys by showing clash of clans and snapchat apps.

----------
    English isn't my first language
    08-09-2015 08:10 AM
    I hope to be wrong but this is not much different from blackberry.
    you will be wrong. again, the intention is completely different. this is NOT for users. its for devs to test their apps, and see what needs to be implemented to make it work with WP. Its for porting tests, not to provide an alternate store. I trust MS and they are in a somewhat better position than BB ever were
    Gautam Kabiraj and RumoredNow like this.
    08-09-2015 08:35 AM
    There's a bit of confusion on this thread. All the tool does is enable an ADB-compatible connection to your Windows Phone.

As mentioned, ADB is the "Android Debug Bridge" and is used for many purposes, but one of the most common ones is for installing apps.

This is not a 'proof of concept', but a legitimate way for developers to test their apps on a Windows Phone. After all, a developer needs to test his application before releasing it, and the best way to do that is to deploy it on devices. Yes, it leaked out while still in private testing, but there's no reason to believe this wasn't going to become public very soon anyway - Microsoft's own page says they plan on releasing the Windows Bridge for Android later this fall.

This also does not in any way shape or form modify applications. Again, it is only the tool used to connect to the phone. Microsoft has an Android subsystem running on the phone which runs the code as is. The difference is that Microsoft's implementation of that Android subsystem redirects a few Android-based calls to their Microsoft equivalents. Any modification that must be done to the app to make it work on Microsoft products is done manually by the developer before packing their application into an APK.

Also, applications are not APKs or APPX on the phone. APK and APPX are the installation medium. Think of them like an MSI. Nothing gets repackaged by this tool or by the phone in any way whatsoever. They get extracted to the files that make up that application.

Now, I agree, if you're downloading APKs from shady internet sites, that's definitely illegal. If you're using a backup app on Android to package your applications on your Android device in APK format again, that's a legal gray area. However, there are definitely fully legal ways to obtain APKs (just look at Amazon, they have to release their app store as an APK, or look at Humble Bundle's Android sales from time to time as just a couple examples).

Utilizing the tool itself? Well, that's a gray area as well. It's leaked, not officially released yet, so it's not really something officially okay to use... but the tool does nothing illegal itself. Let's also keep in mind that every Android device supports an ADB connection. This does absolutely nothing more than create that connection to a Windows Phone.
    realwarder and Vlad C like this.
    08-09-2015 08:38 AM
    Guys now we can use google services with a new Astoria tool on WM 10 . Without any complicated steps.. Its very easy.
    08-09-2015 09:07 AM
    Guys now we can use google services with a new Astoria tool on WM 10 . Without any complicated steps.. Its very easy.
    Please explain??
    08-09-2015 09:40 AM
    You aren't stating that ADB will translate an apk into an appx are you? That ADB is the only program being used to "Bridge" these apps?

Is it really your contention that using this leaked tool does not alter a thing? If the tool does not alter anything, what use is it?

Do you really believe that maintaining the published form of a work is not protected under copyright?

What part of Windows 10 becomes an emulator? Microsoft has clearly stated that the goal and end result of Project Astoria is NOT emulation.

No. I'm sorry. Altering and distribution of works not your own, without express consent of the owner, is not a "grey-zone." It has never been. It always was and still remains prohibited.
    1) No, of course not. ADB is just a tool for developers to install Android apps onto devices in order to test. The tool leaked likely (at this point at least) just works with ADB to get the apps onto Windows Phones.

2) I don't believe it does.

I think you're a little too focused on the legalities of this. I already stated that it was not my intention to get into whether or not this is legal. However, you are right. "Altering and distribution of works not your own, without express consent of the owner, is not a 'grey-zone.' " The grey zone is what aspect of programming can be copyrighted or protected under copyright. That is the grey zone. The Google vs Oracle case is probably the best example of this. Also, who's to say this doesn't fall under the fair use clause? As for the emulation bit: the AOSP does not include everything that makes Android Android. There could very well be sections of the code that emulate some aspect of Android in order for Windows Bridge for Android to work properly. At this point, we don't have nearly enough information (or likely never will) on whether this is entirely native, utilizes some emulation, etc. As a developer myself, I just find it hard to believe that Microsoft got this project working 100% without any form of emulation anywhere in their code. Besides, "goal" and "end-result" when programming are very often two completely different things.
    FinancialP likes this.
    08-09-2015 09:40 AM
    OK, found this fairly quickly, So I hope this still works with 10240 (or what ever build is coming very soon), as I rolled back to 8.1 but, downloaded the tools so I should be ready to go.

Directions look fairly simple. I just need to find the 3-4 android apps I want to install so I am ready.

If this works, it could be awesome, the biggest problem with Windows Phone could be resolved person by person....neat !
    08-09-2015 09:51 AM
    LOL... I see my opinion is unpopular. I expected as much.

Let's cut to the bottom line. Everyone agrees the "leaked tools" themselves are not an authorized distribution by Microsoft. What more can be said? The entire methodology is based on an infringement to enable infringements.

I understand the ways in which people become willing to justify such things to themselves. Especially when many are seen to be running to embrace this.

Here's my fave bit...

the number of people who side load/ would side load and do such things are a very small group (compared to the population), i would estimate less than 3% - 5% of the population.

now, considering that very small percentage, knowing that you can do this stuff on Android it self and the risk of people doing it is already happening, i would say that the number of people who do this on android (the less than 3% - 5%) are a bigger number than "all" windows phone users at the moment.

so if we already have 3% - 5% of android users doing these stuff, add to them 0.01% - 0.03% from windows phone and you got a new group, that is hardly larger than the first one.

at the end, developers who are upset of this, should have never developed to Android, but they know that these numbers hardly affect their revenues, that's why they do it anyway.

This, to me, reads that it is OK for me to cut the dev a little because others are doing it. My harm on its own is so small the dev will never feel it specifically while he bleeds out from the far larger mass damage being done to him by the larger group...

People can convince themselves all they want that this whole thing is above board, that they are not infringing on anything. Sure, it's the wild west. Cowboy on people.

Just remember:
    [INFO]Windows Central is not linking to the file nor providing instructions on how to sideload. Simply put, the software is not finished, and the ability to steal Android apps is not something we would like to promote.

We are taking a hard line on posting of links to these tools, direct or indirect. Please do not post links or directions in comments as you risk having the post deleted. Continued abuse of this rule may result in account termination.

This is such a big topic it would be a mistake to not allow a venue for discussing it - but we will not tolerate any links or directions in this thread.[/INFO]
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 08-09-2015 at 10:28 AM.
    08-09-2015 10:12 AM
    "no raindrop would blame itself for the flood."
    But I'd buy that argument to an extent.

But to those crying for links, if you cannot find them on your own, you're gonna have a bad time following the directions. It's not exactly a push-button-install thing. (and Insider builds aren't exactly for normal people either)
    08-09-2015 10:26 AM
    "no raindrop would blame itself for the flood."
    But I'd buy that argument to an extent.

But to those crying for links, if you cannot find them on your own, you're gonna have a bad time following the directions. It's not exactly a push-button-install thing. (and Insider builds aren't exactly for normal people either)
    I read through them and no question, not a click and deploy type of thing, A lot of command line based things. so if your a Noob, you might want to step back a little on this, read, and re-read to see if you CAN handle it.

If you need to find it, spend some time in Bing AND google, you will find it, found a simple site with a video and step by step and links to all the software, it's all out there, you just need to open your eyes and LOOK.

LOL... I see my opinion is unpopular. I expected as much.

Let's cut to the bottom line. Everyone agrees the "leaked tools" themselves are not an authorized distribution by Microsoft. What more can be said? The entire methodology is based on an infringement to enable infringements.
    True that. It's a new toy, something that people have been waiting for. Something to fill that app gap for YEARS now.

Leaked beta/unavailable software is one thing (some fine lines here but, on a legal standpoint, it's a strait forward thing) but, the software does promote piracy in some ways.

If your installing free apps, is it really Piracy as long as you are using the app within the terms of the dev ? (Not hacking the app and using it as made but, on a different platform).

No question it's something people are going to use, just wonder if Microsoft is going to kill it(lock it down) on the next build and this discussion would be completely over.

I just want my Bank Of America app on Windows phone is that too much to ask ?
    xandros9 and Vlad C like this.
    08-09-2015 10:37 AM
    To me the most exciting thing about this leak is showing the potential of getting Android apps released on WM10.

If developers choose to use the now very simple path to release apps on WM10 then quite a few gaps can be easily filled making WM10 more attractive.

I hope the WM10 emulator supports testing APK apps on it (has anyone tried?) as then buying test phones is not a barrier to Android developers testing...
    08-09-2015 10:39 AM
    So as off now. I have installed a couple of games, and some apps.. Basically it boils down to this. If the app requires google play services, The app will load but will fail to start displaying an error messages saying you need google play features. So apps like snapchat, hangout, gmail, gmaps will not work. Facebook works, and WhatsApp works. Starbucks app works. As far as performance, I am pretty stoked.. I am running this on a lumia 925 and it works better than some windows phone apps. There is a delay in scrolling performance for some apps that has the "inifinite" scroll. but nothing worse than some android phones. If this is the early work on what Microsoft is doing. I am really impressed so far. But I think google will start locking down apk access.
    yes for the apps I have tested and tried I am also fairly impressed that they are working as well as they are with beta tools and a beta OS and no recoding to the apk. things can only get better.
    08-09-2015 10:40 AM
    And the Android Lumia with W10 skin will follow in 2017.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on my BlackBerry Passport
    stokes1510 likes this.
    08-09-2015 11:44 AM
    This seemed good to me at first, but I seriously think devs won't give a crap about WP now. We'll just have to wait and see, but I almost hate WP already.

Also..can we really use the Android Facebook app now? If so, cool.
    08-09-2015 12:53 PM
226 ... 45678 ...