Project Astoria Tools Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elitis

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
You aren't stating that ADB will translate an apk into an appx are you? That ADB is the only program being used to "Bridge" these apps?

Is it really your contention that using this leaked tool does not alter a thing? If the tool does not alter anything, what use is it?

Do you really believe that maintaining the published form of a work is not protected under copyright?

What part of Windows 10 becomes an emulator? Microsoft has clearly stated that the goal and end result of Project Astoria is NOT emulation.

No. I'm sorry. Altering and distribution of works not your own, without express consent of the owner, is not a "grey-zone." It has never been. It always was and still remains prohibited.
1) No, of course not. ADB is just a tool for developers to install Android apps onto devices in order to test. The tool leaked likely (at this point at least) just works with ADB to get the apps onto Windows Phones.

2) I don't believe it does.

I think you're a little too focused on the legalities of this. I already stated that it was not my intention to get into whether or not this is legal. However, you are right. "Altering and distribution of works not your own, without express consent of the owner, is not a 'grey-zone.' " The grey zone is what aspect of programming can be copyrighted or protected under copyright. That is the grey zone. The Google vs Oracle case is probably the best example of this. Also, who's to say this doesn't fall under the fair use clause? As for the emulation bit: the AOSP does not include everything that makes Android Android. There could very well be sections of the code that emulate some aspect of Android in order for Windows Bridge for Android to work properly. At this point, we don't have nearly enough information (or likely never will) on whether this is entirely native, utilizes some emulation, etc. As a developer myself, I just find it hard to believe that Microsoft got this project working 100% without any form of emulation anywhere in their code. Besides, "goal" and "end-result" when programming are very often two completely different things.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
OK, found this fairly quickly, So I hope this still works with 10240 (or what ever build is coming very soon), as I rolled back to 8.1 but, downloaded the tools so I should be ready to go.

Directions look fairly simple. I just need to find the 3-4 android apps I want to install so I am ready.

If this works, it could be awesome, the biggest problem with Windows Phone could be resolved person by person....neat !

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
LOL... I see my opinion is unpopular. I expected as much.

Let's cut to the bottom line. Everyone agrees the "leaked tools" themselves are not an authorized distribution by Microsoft. What more can be said? The entire methodology is based on an infringement to enable infringements.

I understand the ways in which people become willing to justify such things to themselves. Especially when many are seen to be running to embrace this.

Here's my fave bit...

the number of people who side load/ would side load and do such things are a very small group (compared to the population), i would estimate less than 3% - 5% of the population.

now, considering that very small percentage, knowing that you can do this stuff on Android it self and the risk of people doing it is already happening, i would say that the number of people who do this on android (the less than 3% - 5%) are a bigger number than "all" windows phone users at the moment.

so if we already have 3% - 5% of android users doing these stuff, add to them 0.01% - 0.03% from windows phone and you got a new group, that is hardly larger than the first one.

at the end, developers who are upset of this, should have never developed to Android, but they know that these numbers hardly affect their revenues, that's why they do it anyway.

This, to me, reads that it is OK for me to cut the dev a little because others are doing it. My harm on its own is so small the dev will never feel it specifically while he bleeds out from the far larger mass damage being done to him by the larger group...

People can convince themselves all they want that this whole thing is above board, that they are not infringing on anything. Sure, it's the wild west. Cowboy on people.

Just remember:
[INFO]Windows Central is not linking to the file nor providing instructions on how to sideload. Simply put, the software is not finished, and the ability to steal Android apps is not something we would like to promote.

We are taking a hard line on posting of links to these tools, direct or indirect. Please do not post links or directions in comments as you risk having the post deleted. Continued abuse of this rule may result in account termination.

This is such a big topic it would be a mistake to not allow a venue for discussing it - but we will not tolerate any links or directions in this thread.[/INFO]

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
"no raindrop would blame itself for the flood."
But I'd buy that argument to an extent.

But to those crying for links, if you cannot find them on your own, you're gonna have a bad time following the directions. It's not exactly a push-button-install thing. (and Insider builds aren't exactly for normal people either)

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
"no raindrop would blame itself for the flood."
But I'd buy that argument to an extent.

But to those crying for links, if you cannot find them on your own, you're gonna have a bad time following the directions. It's not exactly a push-button-install thing. (and Insider builds aren't exactly for normal people either)

I read through them and no question, not a click and deploy type of thing, A lot of command line based things. so if your a Noob, you might want to step back a little on this, read, and re-read to see if you CAN handle it.

If you need to find it, spend some time in Bing AND google, you will find it, found a simple site with a video and step by step and links to all the software, it's all out there, you just need to open your eyes and LOOK.

Let's cut to the bottom line. Everyone agrees the "leaked tools" themselves are not an authorized distribution by Microsoft. What more can be said? The entire methodology is based on an infringement to enable infringements.

True that. It's a new toy, something that people have been waiting for. Something to fill that app gap for YEARS now.

Leaked beta/unavailable software is one thing (some fine lines here but, on a legal standpoint, it's a strait forward thing) but, the software does promote piracy in some ways.

If your installing free apps, is it really Piracy as long as you are using the app within the terms of the dev ? (Not hacking the app and using it as made but, on a different platform).

No question it's something people are going to use, just wonder if Microsoft is going to kill it(lock it down) on the next build and this discussion would be completely over.

I just want my Bank Of America app on Windows phone is that too much to ask ?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
To me the most exciting thing about this leak is showing the potential of getting Android apps released on WM10.

If developers choose to use the now very simple path to release apps on WM10 then quite a few gaps can be easily filled making WM10 more attractive.

I hope the WM10 emulator supports testing APK apps on it (has anyone tried?) as then buying test phones is not a barrier to Android developers testing...

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
So as off now. I have installed a couple of games, and some apps.. Basically it boils down to this. If the app requires google play services, The app will load but will fail to start displaying an error messages saying you need google play features. So apps like snapchat, hangout, gmail, gmaps will not work. Facebook works, and WhatsApp works. Starbucks app works. As far as performance, I am pretty stoked.. I am running this on a lumia 925 and it works better than some windows phone apps. There is a delay in scrolling performance for some apps that has the "inifinite" scroll. but nothing worse than some android phones. If this is the early work on what Microsoft is doing. I am really impressed so far. But I think google will start locking down apk access.

yes for the apps I have tested and tried I am also fairly impressed that they are working as well as they are with beta tools and a beta OS and no recoding to the apk. things can only get better.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
This seemed good to me at first, but I seriously think devs won't give a crap about WP now. We'll just have to wait and see, but I almost hate WP already.

Also..can we really use the Android Facebook app now? If so, cool.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I have question

MS made a tool that can convert Android apps to W10 apps
I think that arises a risk of stolen apps. Like a developer develop a certain app and another person use this tool and convert this app for WP and publish it on store. In a word that person didn't do any work and stole that app and take all credits.

Well ,I am fully aware how does this tool work but it is a concern.
and did MS take any precaution to tackle this issue ?

and there are many users are using this - this is illegal and doesn't doing this badly effect Microsoft reputation?

Sam_93

May 23, 2015
Visit site
LENGTHY POST AHEAD
We can tell that legal and moral implications are negligible albeit they are present as somebody may crack it or install pirated apps. WC forum aptly removed tools according to guidelines as this may lead to future implications for all of us as Spock said "The Needs of the Many Outweigh the Needs of the Few" and the number of people who are using these tools are really few.And what is happening now may harm the whole community of Lumia users. But I think that as more people install it and as long as ads are there devs should see their revenue increase . And about piracy there is Blackmart an whole market app for downloading pirated apps. So piracy is worst part of all this happening now.

The worst bit is we are turning our beloved Lumias into other battery hungry power hungry androids. Those androids from which we were saving ourselves . Its a disgrace to Lumia .Nokia died fighting for pride . They never used emulator.At the end point they released Nokia X and Xl using AOSPs .Event then Lumias were in focus mainly. See what the emulator concept has done to blackberry . It moved on to Android. Although we are repackaging the apks into appx but those are still meant for android phones and they are not optimized. Devs need to optimize them to run on 400 SoCs and 210 SoCs as most of lumias use these .Suddenly we are turning our devices into Moto Gs with Microsoft slapped onto them. If devs dont want to bring their apps to Lumia we can at most force them or sign petition . But just repackaging their apps and using them madly is making a laughing stock of Lumia users. It shows how much app-starved we are . I want MS to lock this feature down stabilise it and open it only for devs . Or else end of MS mobile will be near when the uniqueness of Lumias will be days of the past . And Lumias will be like some any other Android devices in the wild . The uniqueness is meant to be the selling point not the lack of it .

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
yes for the apps I have tested and tried I am also fairly impressed that they are working as well as they are with beta tools and a beta OS and no recoding to the apk. things can only get better.

Questions if you have used this.

1. Once it's installed, does it act like a standard WP app (Pin to start, different size tiles, uninstall, etc)?
2. Will it give toast notifications and will they act like normal WP notifications ?
3. Can it access hardware, blue-tooth, camera, GPS, etc ?
4. Can it run in the background and can it be disabled(back ground tasks) like every other app ?
5. Any hit noticed on battery life using a native WP app vs. an Android app ?
6. How stable are the apps ?

ygtgngr

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Questions if you have used this.

1. Once it's installed, does it act like a standard WP app (Pin to start, different size tiles, uninstall, etc)?
2. Will it give toast notifications and will they act like normal WP notifications ?
4. Can it run in the background and can it be disabled(back ground tasks) like every other app ?
5. Any hit noticed on battery life using a native WP app vs. an Android app ?
6. How stable are the apps ?
1- Yes, even some of them have transparent tiles.
2-Nope, not yet. When they are ported yes. (At least the apps I have cannot)
3-Nope, not yet. When they are ported yes.
4- Depends on the app, again when they are ported they all will.
5-No idea
6-Some of them are really impressive, however there are some that crash a lot and have lags...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I read through them and no question, not a click and deploy type of thing, A lot of command line based things. so if your a Noob, you might want to step back a little on this, read, and re-read to see if you CAN handle it.

If you need to find it, spend some time in Bing AND google, you will find it, found a simple site with a video and step by step and links to all the software, it's all out there, you just need to open your eyes and LOOK.

True that. It's a new toy, something that people have been waiting for. Something to fill that app gap for YEARS now.

Leaked beta/unavailable software is one thing (some fine lines here but, on a legal standpoint, it's a strait forward thing) but, the software does promote piracy in some ways.

If your installing free apps, is it really Piracy as long as you are using the app within the terms of the dev ? (Not hacking the app and using it as made but, on a different platform).

No question it's something people are going to use, just wonder if Microsoft is going to kill it(lock it down) on the next build and this discussion would be completely over.

I just want my Bank Of America app on Windows phone is that too much to ask ?
I wouldn't trust cracked banking apps.

I also believe that if the bank found out someone used cracked apps and had unauthorized transactions, then that would violate any agreements to reimburse the customers.

933df696feb8452e5ebed495e4a8e15a.jpg

My bank's FAQ clearly states that the mobile app is from the Apple App Store, Amazon app store or Google Play Store.

6d7c7e48d54789b6f62c74f75d4954ba.jpg

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't trust cracked banking apps.

I also believe that if the bank found out someone used cracked apps and had unauthorized transactions, then that would violate any agreements to reimburse the customers.

Your right, 3drd party cracked banking apps, yes, I agree, there is a method that someone said where apps can be yanked direct from the google store, just need to find the process for it.

If I can rip it some how myself, then I could trust it... Now if the bank would have an issue for a single person doing it, not sure on that one...

Now if they would just support Windows Phone, then I would not have to resort to this.....Dam u BOA !

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
This entire part is so true. And your....last sentence is perfection.

The fact people are rushing to this basically proved they want to kill native windows support. So just go android.

LENGTHY POST AHEAD
Or else end of MS mobile will be near when the uniqueness of Lumias will be days of the past . And Lumias will be like some any other Android devices in the wild . The uniqueness is meant to be the selling point not the lack of it .

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

3-Nope, not yet. When they are ported yes.

Thanks !

As for hardware, I was asking for *IF* I was able to get the Bank Of America app working on my phone, could it access the camera to take pictures of the check ? Then I was looking for the Pebble watch apps (Pebble and Pebble time apps) that needs blue-tooth to connect to the watch.

Both these apps, need to access hardware (blue-tooth or camera) and will NEVER be officially ported to Windows Phone at least for this moment(official statement is "You have windows phone, screw you") or if Windows Phone sells about 50 million phones every night for a week. And we know that ain't gona happen...

Or is there a way in the tool to make it support some hardware ?

Now another quick question, does this process actually convert a Android file to a Windows Phone file, or does it just install a Android file directly to Windows phone ?

If MS kills this feature, and I create an app from a Android app, can I install it later as a Xap ?

The fact people are rushing to this basically proved they want to kill native windows support. So just go android.

I like Windows Phone a lot but, should I suffer because Microsoft cant sell 100 Million phones to take a good 5-10% of the marketplace in the US, so we get the apps ? When there is an option for us to do this for now (till Microsoft locks it down and they will) ?

Trust me, the very few apps that I want, is ONLY because the devs don't support Windows phone in fact I have actually begged them to give us Windows Phone support but, due to the above issue, they wont.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

I understand the ways in which people become willing to justify such things to themselves. Especially when many are seen to be running to embrace this.

Here's my fave bit...

This, to me, reads that it is OK for me to cut the dev a little because others are doing it. My harm on its own is so small the dev will never feel it specifically while he bleeds out from the far larger mass damage being done to him by the larger group...

People can convince themselves all they want that this whole thing is above board, that they are not infringing on anything. Sure, it's the wild west. Cowboy on people.

Just remember:
[INFO]Windows Central is not linking to the file nor providing instructions on how to sideload. Simply put, the software is not finished, and the ability to steal Android apps is not something we would like to promote.

We are taking a hard line on posting of links to these tools, direct or indirect. Please do not post links or directions in comments as you risk having the post deleted. Continued abuse of this rule may result in account termination.

This is such a big topic it would be a mistake to not allow a venue for discussing it - but we will not tolerate any links or directions in this thread.[/INFO]

What are you even talking about? how will anyone be doing any harm if a developer ports his android app to the windows store... he is enabling it....

this tool is just a leak that we are toying with, we all know that this is not how we will be installing android apps on our phones...its not like we will be using it on windows phone :S but this tool it self is the future the small hope of the platform....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven