Project Astoria Tools Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
As I said before, then go Android. If you have to beg someone to do something and they have shown they obviously really don't care about you and have taking an aggressive stance against something you WANT to use...then going android would be the easiest.

Because in reality you have basically given up on Windows Phone already(at least starting to do so).

Personally, I don't look at it as suffering. If they are willing to shut out a legitimate and growing(albeit slowly) userbase from their app...even if it is not fully supported but at least maintained halfway, is that an app I want to use? Is this a developer I want to support?

No.

It's like hanging with people who you know don't like you or don't want you JUST so you can say you're apart of the inner circle and it is honestly sad.

Thanks !
I like Windows Phone a lot but, should I suffer because Microsoft cant sell 100 Million phones to take a good 5-10% of the marketplace in the US, so we get the apps ? When there is an option for us to do this for now (till Microsoft locks it down and they will) ?

Trust me, the very few apps that I want, is ONLY because the devs don't support Windows phone in fact I have actually begged them to give us Windows Phone support but, due to the above issue, they wont.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
What are you even talking about? how will anyone be doing any harm if a developer ports his android app to the windows store... he is enabling it....

this tool is just a leak that we are toying with, we all know that this is not how we will be installing android apps on our phones...its not like we will be using it on windows phone :S but this tool it self is the future the small hope of the platform....

Because right now, in it's current form, it promotes Piracy. anyone with an Windows 10 phone, could install an app on their computer, got to one of the million Android pirate sites (and there are a ton of them) and download then install them.

That is the problem. If it ONLY installed free apps, or something of the sort it might be different but, right now, these roads could lead to trouble.

Do I think this was leaked by mistake ? No, not a chance. Microsoft wanted Devs to know how easy it was to make their app into a Windows Phone app and what better way to "Leak" so let the hackers play with it and report on it ?

They could have 10 days of FREE training to do this but, even that would not get as noticed as much as a simple leak like this.

Maybe the app gap can be closing soon once this is released....

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
As I said before, then go Android. If you have to beg someone to do something and they have shown they obviously really don't care about you and have taking an aggressive stance against something you WANT to use...then going android would be the easiest.

I guess we agree to not agree here. I never gave up on Windows Phone, not sure where you go that from, but, that is your opinion and YOURS ALONE.

I don't desire an app to be "Part of the inner circle" or do I care about how I look. I want my phone to work in a certain way as it did in the past (BOA pulled their app), Microsoft cant provide this for me.

I don't see this working for the long term, if anything, next build of Windows Phone 10 it will be dead, I would almost bet.

But, it would be nice to check it out, see how well it works, as I DO hope this makes more apps come directly from the devs and in the long run, that is what I really want...

Let's get off the morals of doing this and back to the Topic at hand about this process and how the app works.

This type of discussion going off topic like this is how this topic would be closed...

fjordstrom

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Just installed four apps: Instagram, Swarm, Snapchat and Casper (=Snapchat alternative). I couldn't get Facebook to be installed...
- Instagram works well, but hangs when trying to add a filter on a previously saved photo (no cam support). But it is fun to have the real "Instagram feel" back in your hand...
- Swarm: works, checks in, can see mayorships, but there's a UI bug.
- Snapchat: stuck on "verifying device" and thus unusable
- Casper: loads snaps correctly, but can't post any because it's not supported yet (confirmed by Casper developer).

Personally I'm happy that developers will be able to convert their apps for Windows Mobile. A few here think that we're going the "blackberry way", but the big difference is that Windows Mobile devices have much better specs in the same price range as Android phones. Who doesn't want to see imported apps on our beautiful Lumias? I sure do...

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I guess we agree to not agree here. I never gave up on Windows Phone, not sure where you go that from, but, that is your opinion and YOURS ALONE.

I don't desire an app to be "Part of the inner circle" or do I care about how I look. I want my phone to work in a certain way as it did in the past (BOA pulled their app), Microsoft cant provide this for me.

I don't see this working for the long term, if anything, next build of Windows Phone 10 it will be dead, I would almost bet.

But, it would be nice to check it out, see how well it works, as I DO hope this makes more apps come directly from the devs and in the long run, that is what I really want...

Let's get off the morals of doing this and back to the Topic at hand about this process and how the app works.

This type of discussion going off topic like this is how this topic would be closed...

Supporting Android apps on WIndows phone and not supporting the Native windows phone developers and realizing this has far more chance to go bad(especially given how we are already struggling with apps as is) sure sounds like giving up to me ;)
But I digress.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What are you even talking about? how will anyone be doing any harm if a developer ports his android app to the windows store... he is enabling it...

That's not what you said before... The dev placing his app in the WP store. Earlier I responded to you stating numbers on how small a percentage of the smartphone users it is on Windows Phone that would sideload the dev's apps behind his back with this tool compared to how many are already doing so on Android. And how that made it OK because the harm done is small compared to the ongoing harm the Android community does to it's devs every day. You further implied the devs know this is going on and choose for it to happen by becoming Android Developers... Don't try and change the parameters of the discussion after the fact.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
So, found some <stuff I'm not supposed to talk aboit here and know it, but can't help myself in my excitement so I make moderators do extra work cleaning my posts> was able to download my banking app and the 2 other ones I wanted to try.

This is not providing links or anything of the such. Just to say they are out there...

Now just waiting for the next release of Windows 10 Mobile....to try...

Last edited by a moderator:

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I await for someone to discover a security hole in windows mobile 10 and destroy the OS's reputation with some bad exploits/malware.

The Android storage is isolated from the OS.

Also, someone asked about notifications. Notifications actually do work and they pop up as toasts. The thing is though, there's no background app support (in the current build's version of the Android subsystem) and there's no push notification support (as developers will need to recode that part of their apps to make it work via the Windows Notification Service). So when you'll see them is kind of limited right now.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't see the problem here. People from Linux download Windows Apps and install with Wine. For them, is totally normal and legal.
It will only be illegal if the developer does not provide the apk on their website.
If you download Firefox, it's legal. If download snapchat is illegal.

And currently, installing apps is not restricted to developers (But Astoria it's restricted to a small number of people)
In Windows Phone 8.1, to install apps you need a dev account, but on Windows 10 Mobile not (just like Android and Windows PC).
So to be 100% legal, just wait for the end of month when Microsoft release Project Astoria (and it will work better. 10166 build was compiled on 05 of July)

+1

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
So, found some <Stuff that amounts to Instruction and mods have to delete it> was able to download my banking app and the 2 other ones I wanted to try.

This is not providing links or anything of the such. Just to say they are out there...

Now just waiting for the next release of Windows 10 Mobile....to try...

Somehow I don't think I'd try a banking app from unknown source!

Android has a reputation for not having the safest apps and that is when installed from the store. When from unknown sources, be safe!

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
For all those who are wondering, this is a list of tested apps known to work (of course not everything is tested)

<link removed by moderator>

Someone should take the Cortana app on Android and install it to see if it will talk to it' self :)

<Instruction deleted by moderator>

Please don't PM me for links, I cant provide them, this is info that is available on the web. I would post a link to this latest info but, they also provide the links to the tools and that is BIG NO NO here...

Somehow I don't think I'd try a banking app from unknown source!

Android has a reputation for not having the safest apps and that is when installed from the store. When from unknown sources, be safe!

<Instruction deleted by moderator>

Same with a few other "free" apps

Now they just gota release a new build of Windows 10 Mobile so I can play finally :(

Vikas_Kr

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
So as off now. I have installed a couple of games, and some apps.. Basically it boils down to this. If the app requires google play services, The app will load but will fail to start displaying an error messages saying you need google play features. So apps like snapchat, hangout, gmail, gmaps will not work. Facebook works, and WhatsApp works. Starbucks app works. As far as performance, I am pretty stoked.. I am running this on a lumia 925 and it works better than some windows phone apps. There is a delay in scrolling performance for some apps that has the "inifinite" scroll. but nothing worse than some android phones. If this is the early work on what Microsoft is doing. I am really impressed so far. But I think google will start locking down apk access.
Google can't do that.

Sent from my GT-S5312 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999