Project Astoria Tools Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
WP/W10M all ready have a poor/bad reputation now. Besides, if hackers really want to discover a security hole in windows mobile 10, then insert malware into the OS, they can at any given moment. Regardless, if Project Astoria or Islandwood is successful or not.

Well at a recent security event Windows was the most secure out of all the OS's when hackers tried to get at it. Internet explorer was hacked but because of the way MS designed windows the attacker couldn't get access outside the memory location. It really depends on how MS did this portion, but my guess is system calls are being emulated on the fly if the code is not being converted completely. I don't know enough about it to make any speculation but if you introduce something like that, it opens up a different method for hackers to try and get in. Even if they can only hack other android apps, it's still a big deal as information can be stolen or shared. Plus does the emulation grow memory as required and can someone just request a ridiculous amount of memory. There's just so many things you can dream up of.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
This thread probably has run it's course now... nothing much more to be discussed.

All we can do is look forward to when more mainstream apps start appearing in the Store when this is all released!

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
This thread probably has run it's course now... nothing much more to be discussed.

All we can do is look forward to when more mainstream apps start appearing in the Store when this is all released!

Right, because you cant discuss anything of value with out it being deleted or edited. They should just close this thread and if you want to discuss this with some MEAT in the subject, there are plenty of other WP sites that are fine with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Right, because you cant discuss anything of value with out it being deleted or edited.

There's plenty to discuss:
* Those people who have used the tool can share their experiences of the converted apps
* Discussion of how this tool affects Android and Windows Phone development; is it better to create Android apps and port them, or to code Universal Apps from scratch, or a migration from one model to the other over time
* The ethics of apk piracy - "I have access to an apk file, therefore it's mine to do as I like" vis a vis "It's ok for me to steal someone's car now that someone's invented a trailer"

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
There's plenty to discuss:
* Those people who have used the tool can share their experiences of the converted apps
* Discussion of how this tool affects Android and Windows Phone development; is it better to create Android apps and port them, or to code Universal Apps from scratch, or a migration from one model to the other over time
* The ethics of apk piracy - "I have access to an apk file, therefore it's mine to do as I like" vis a vis "It's ok for me to steal someone's car now that someone's invented a trailer"

If course you wont answer my last question why I was given a warning for provding a list of working apps....

David T-Rex

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
And the Blackberry phase continues....
1st it's complicated to do, well tedious I should say

Next step someone develops a tool to lower the tedious steps (done)

People scream there is no app gap but the users for this tool explode installing Android apps.

Microsoft's next move will be very interesting. They can either break this or embrace this.

If Microsoft embraces this, the next step will be someone developing a Android like store so people can install apks directly on the device.

This story has played out already, and it's not pretty.

Just remember the steps above.

Does the blackberry method use the same app store or is it a separate Android app store ?

My take on this (I have tested it just to have a play - but I want to wait for the official released)
Once this is up an running developers will submit the apps to the Windows Store not some separate app store - Wont this be invisible to the end user?
The developer works from one code base and pushes the app to 2 stores. 2 eco systems for the price of one.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Does the blackberry method use the same app store or is it a separate Android app store ?

My take on this (I have tested it just to have a play - but I want to wait for the official released)
Once this is up an running developers will submit the apps to the Windows Store not some separate app store - Wont this be invisible to the end user?
The developer works from one code base and pushes the app to 2 stores. 2 eco systems for the price of one.

Blackberry just caved in and made a deal with Amazon.

Their method isn't viable for average Joe Blow, that's why they packaged the Amazon store. There are tools like the one made recently to make the steps easy as ever, just drag and drop.

Developers should only submit to the real store. The third party store I was referring to, is just a rogue person that developed an app that grabs apks from Google.

The problem is Blackberry is in such a bad position that they are actually releasing an Android phone now. As people jumped all over the Android apps being side loaded, even though in the beginning it was such a pain to do.

David T-Rex

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Blackberry just caved in and made a deal with Amazon.

Their method isn't viable for average Joe Blow, that's why they packaged the Amazon store. There are tools like the one made recently to make the steps easy as ever, just drag and drop.

Developers should only submit to the real store. The third party store I was referring to, is just a rogue person that developed an app that grabs apks from Google.

The problem is Blackberry is in such a bad position that they are actually releasing an Android phone now. As people jumped all over the Android apps being side loaded, even though in the beginning it was such a pain to do.

From a WP user point of view (and if the developer has done it) everything will be contained within one single store. People are excited to use the tools and those that want to test it will do - those who are going to download paid for apps through dubious methods will do so - the rest of us will get them from the MS Store once they are available.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
From a WP user point of view (and if the developer has done it) everything will be contained within one single store. People are excited to use the tools and those that want to test it will do - those who are going to download paid for apps through dubious methods will do so - the rest of us will get them from the MS Store once they are available.

You're 100% correct from a user perspective. However developers have to submit those apps. Which is the crux where Blackberry is currently, development has slowed to crawl.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
For everyone this is a LINK to a SPREADSHEET, Nothing else ! It is on a one drive so it's not pointing to other links to provide to software or hacks or anything of the that.

These are the apps that were tested on WIndows Phone with results, I would attach the spreadsheet to this post but, I can only attach pictures. It is being updated too so check back.

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=5907540FDE11D4EE!774664&ithint=file%2cxlsx&app=Excel&authkey=!AKnrhxjLUm5IxP4

Mods: If this IS not acceptable, then how can I provide this info to people ? There is no software here or links to software.

Only reason I am posting this is because I am sick of getting PMs on the subject

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
To re-quote:

Using this leaked tool is software piracy, something that Windows Central cannot and will not support.

In line with other new sites/communities, we allow the discussion of illegal activities, but will not allow users to discuss how to (or ask for how to) perform those illegal activities.

In that case you should consider removing any post related to Windows 10 Mobile and BlackBerry 10. These products blatantly infringe Oracle's patents with the implementation of Java APIs and in the case of W10, Apple's patents with the implementation of iOS APIs.

This community shouldn't allow users to discuss how to perform illegal activities such as getting and running W10 and BB10 products that include stolen IP.

Ben_NC

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site

I contend it's more like... "I bought an apk (app), therefore it's mine to do as I please (minus hack/crack/alter apk)" vis a vis "It's ok for me to buy a car, and drive that sucker anywhere I please." 😊

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
These are the apps that were tested on WIndows Phone with results, I would attach the spreadsheet to this post but, I can only attach pictures. It is being updated too so check back.
Interesting that Dolphin Browser works. Next up: Chrome! :D

Edit: oh good, Flipboard works. Now users will be able to actually flip on WP! :)

Edit 2: imdb "fails to launch" should maybe read "Failure to launch" (inside joke)

hiya15

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Ok, lets take an example of a free android app that earn by posting ads .

If it is installed on WP and still shows ads just like it does on android. It is actually earning, isnt it? I dont think there should be any problem with the Dev infact his/her app is distributed to larger number of phones and hence more earnings.

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
In that case you should consider removing any post related to Windows 10 Mobile and BlackBerry 10. These products blatantly infringe Oracle's patents with the implementation of Java APIs and in the case of W10, Apple's patents with the implementation of iOS APIs.

This community shouldn't allow users to discuss how to perform illegal activities such as getting and running W10 and BB10 products that include stolen IP.

Deja vu. I'll give you the standard response app developers gave to BB10 users as this discussion start a couple of years ago.

If it works, great. But don't ask us for help and nor will we offer any kind of support since the device itself isn't supported. Netflix, Sonos, Fitbit are the three companies I've personally reached out to and this was their response.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on my BlackBerry Passport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb