Does MS makes W10M too desktop like, no more friendly gestures for single hand operation?!

rayf888

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Having use build 10166 for over a month, the only message I get is, I'm using a tablet. With built-in phone and messaging apps of course.

Too many of those simple and beautiful gesture we had since WP7 had gone down the drain, too many thing requires me to tap around my tiny screen. The made me wonder when they decided to go with the hamburger menu, did they actually think about the people relying heavily on gesture?!

Is that why they bought back the name Windows Mobile so we can all go back to menus and buttons again?! Seriously, it's a phone... not a tablet....

Am I the only person worrying?! :straight:

Ostbiten

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Nah, I agree! They decide to ontroduce us to this ''hamburger'' menu that Android has, but in Android you can at least swipe it from the side, without actually have to touch it - since it's so far up in the corner....

I just switched for Android because WP had all these pivots and stuff, and I really liked it - and now they are removing it?!?!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
No, you're not the only person worrying. You're just a bit late. The huge uproar occurred a couple months ago. Search for "hamburger" in the forums and you'll see what people think. Some of the most popular issues on uservoice also relate to this topic:

https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/...ot-change-photos-hub-style-in-windows-phone-8
https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/...ns/6623043-stick-to-modern-don-t-copy-android

I'm not aware of any official statement from MS, but the current thinking is that most of the changes are in some way related to MS enabling iOS and Android apps on WP. Some think this will make it easier to develop a single app for all platforms, or make it easier to use the iOS or Android bridge tools without the resulting apps looking too out of place on WP (all at the cost of WP10 apps being less elegant than what we're used to and native WP8.1 apps now looking very out of place).

A lot of people aren't happy with it.

Last edited:

rayf888

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Thx Ostbiten / a5cent!

Well the thing is, everything we got so excited about WP7 has slowly faded away over the last couple years... The people hub, photo hub, panoramic view, pivots, unified messaging, unified mailbox....

The only thing that's still recognizable is LiveTile....

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Totally agree. Tablet mode is a DISASTER. They've fixed desktop mode (hooray!) but all they had to do with tablet mode was replace the Charms bar with the Action Centre. Everything else was fine. I do NOT want an Android clone. What a disappointment!!

netmann

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I am with you guys....I mean I like W10M but I still love WP8.1 for its interface and uniqueness. However I am concerned that MS will totally abandone WP8.1 when W10M is up and running in new devices.

In fact I would like to take your votes to see who will remain with WP8.1 when W10M final is out . I think MS should continue supporting WP8.1 and enhance the OS with a few of WP10 features such as Setting Menu and Notifications. These are the only two features that impress me in W10M currently!

Most of us have been part of the MS Insider Program testing the new W10M for several months now...and it appears most of our feedbacks to MS are to ask MS to retain the unique features of WP8.1 in W10M!!! I understand this could not be implemented in the new W10M code but I would happy if WP8.1 continue to survive and get enhancements.

The other issue is the compatibility of the upcoming flagship phones with WP8.1. Personally, I would flash back to 8.1 on them if I could!

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
and it appears most of our feedbacks to MS are to ask MS to retain the unique features of WP8.1 in W10M!!! I understand this could not be implemented in the new W10M code

This is incorrect. These are largely just UI issues. Of course it CAN be done. It's just that those now in charge don't want to, or more precisely, they feel that, for whatever reasons, the benefits of a UI that has more in common with iOS/Android are too important to not pursue.

To them, sacrificing Metro (or at least everything except being flat and somewhat monochromatic, which are Metro's two least important properties) is a necessary step in order to achieve other development related goals, or so they appear to think...

I'm reserving judgment, for now, but I'm sceptical.

Last edited:

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I secretly want them to fail miserably actually... I mean whats the point anyway, what we have now is not the thing that made me go WP, maybe they are really desperate? they really think being a me-too will do any good? honestly, what would be the value in that? this whole situation is depressing really...

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I don't hate hamburger menu as long as they don't kill the pivots. I mean if it can help reduce the app gap. Even android focused apps have swipe to switch between pages. It's only in iOS where I've seen most tap and button oriented navigation. It is really sad in Windows 10 mobile that in core apps like photos, you have to go tap hamburger to access albums page when you could just swipe to it. I mean it is incredible Microsoft doesn't see it. It is such a nuisance.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I am with you guys....I mean I like W10M but I still love WP8.1 for its interface and uniqueness. However I am concerned that MS will totally abandone WP8.1 when W10M is up and running in new devices.

In fact I would like to take your votes to see who will remain with WP8.1 when W10M final is out . I think MS should continue supporting WP8.1 and enhance the OS with a few of WP10 features such as Setting Menu and Notifications. These are the only two features that impress me in W10M currently!

Most of us have been part of the MS Insider Program testing the new W10M for several months now...and it appears most of our feedbacks to MS are to ask MS to retain the unique features of WP8.1 in W10M!!! I understand this could not be implemented in the new W10M code but I would happy if WP8.1 continue to survive and get enhancements.

The other issue is the compatibility of the upcoming flagship phones with WP8.1. Personally, I would flash back to 8.1 on them if I could!

you can flash back. use windows phone recovery tool. and make sure you do save the ROM image from programdata\microsoft\products somewhere safe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss