Sounds like MS's investment on android/ios apps is beginning to pay off

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
In every windows forum there were thousands of hate speeches criticizing MS's commitment to give away all the WP exclusive apps to other platforms. but on the android forums people are praising MS's services and many fully invested in MS ecosystem instead of google's and even more surprisingly many consider switching to w10m. Recently MS released a an update for onenote for android with an interesting feature called "Floatie". this allows the user to take notes from any other app without leaving the app(a floating onenote page opens on the top of the other non-onenote apps). and android users really love it(i am sure WP fans will be upset about it when the news hits WC). Many would think that MS's this kind of strategy will never help WP's market share. but in reality it is just the opposite. Even die-hard android fans consider switching to windows phones after seeing such a great MS services on android platform. they believe that WP will the be right platform in the future to enjoy all these wonderful MS services to the fullest. see some of the android fans comments on some android forum:
androidpolice1.jpg
androidpolice 2.png

I think MS's new mobile strategy is really working and will sure make people more interested in WP and also help improve MS ecosystem as a whole. The android fans have just nibbled at the bait :amaze: lets wait and see how it turns out.

Last edited:

wcpusr

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
So what? Two random internet Joes, that are probably paid said that they MIGHT change their minds and this leads to bold statements?

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
I have just taken two posts as an example. there were 100s of android fans said similar things(You'll have to scroll half a mile down if i were to include all the +ve comments on that forum about MS's strategy). yes it is a bold statement but it is true that many people have started investing more and more in MS's system. more they invest more people will use windows devices eventually. its just a fact. these two people's comments are just a glimpse of what is happening in the android world. many people are on the same boat not just two.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
It's far from being a success in any way. When the market share grows after all these things they are trying (Hoping W10m, Universal apps, an iOS/Android to WP), then it will be success and the major apps will come back.

The big companies wont do some simple conversion of their app. This would be smaller shops that don't have the budget to create a new app and can get their product or services out You WONT see Chaise, Bank of America etc doing a iOS/Android to Windows Phone.. A Universal app, maybe....

We have time but, WP WONT be a success till that market share gets around 10-15%, and sitting at 3.5% (in the US), there is LONG WAY TO GO...

Discussion on forums is good but, till they BUY a Windows Phone and start going into all Microsoft stuff, it does not matter too much for the end goal here...

triageatdawn

May 31, 2015
Visit site
Yep, this is actually a good sign. Microsoft is a major threat right now, just think about what's happening now between Google and Apple. What are they so scared of? No matter what they come up with back there I won't even dream about jumping this ship. Period.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Well, that is all part of MS's (Nadella's) plan. If MS makes their other services/apps (OneDrive, Skype, OneNote, Bing, Outlook, Cortana, etc...) on all platforms really excellent, then sooner or later some iAndroid users are going to think, "Damn, if MS's services are really this good and reliable I should pick up a W10 phone too."

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, that is all part of MS's (Nadella's) plan. If MS makes their other services/apps (OneDrive, Skype, OneNote, Bing, Outlook, Cortana, etc...) on all platforms really excellent, then sooner or later some Android users are going to think, "Damn, if MS's services are really this good and reliable I should pick up a W10 phone too."
Except when they do get a W10M device and see how the apps on Android or IPhone were better they will go back. This only works if the apps are the same or better once they switch

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Except when they do get a W10M device and see how the apps on Android or IPhone were better they will go back. This only works if the apps are the same or better once they switch

Yes, you're correct. And there's more to it. If Microsoft's services are at least equal on other platforms, there's less reason to switch to WP. For one thing, a user would be abandoning the ecosystem they've built up outside of Microsoft's services.

iOS and Android are not stagnant. Can Microsoft come up with a blow-me-away feature on WP, making it a gotta-have? The closest thing I see is Continuum, but that's going to be limited for the time being. There's a vast market outside of high end phones, which Continuum will be limited to (at first).

And then there's another caveat: sure, Microsoft may bring a blow-me-away feature, but Apple and Google might come up with something like that too. So we're back to square one!

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm the first to complain about MS developing apps for other platforms before their own, but in regard to providing better apps for existing MS services/apps, it's a bit more excusable. With W10M being developed, it made sense not to put a whole lot of effort in improving existing W8.1 apps when they would just have to redo them with W10M. Let's give MS the benefit of the doubt and wait to see what they look like on W10M. If they are still crap compared to their iAndroid equivalent then we should Redmond down to the ground.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
If they are still crap compared to their iAndroid equivalent then we should Redmond down to the ground.

You're talking about the mobile division here, correct? The reason I ask is that there seems to be an all-or-none attitude here, and I'm not sure why. For the most part, you can pick and choose your services and have them work together very cohesively. I use a mixture of Microsoft and Google services on Windows, OS X, Android, iOS, and WP, and it is all very seamless (with the exception of WP).

Just because WP isn't taking off, and even if it eventually goes away, that doesn't mean that Microsoft should be crucified. They are kings in the PC market, as well as enterprise, and will be for the foreseeable future. Their services are available on most platforms. We don't need to "throw the baby out with the bathwater."

Although I use quite a variety of devices, if I was forced to whittle it down to one device for each department, I would choose Windows for PC, iOS for tablet, and Android for phone. It is very painless to switch between the 3, with an excellent experience with Microsoft's and Google's services on each device. I see no reason to go all in with any one of them.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Just because WP isn't taking off, and even if it eventually goes away, that doesn't mean that Microsoft should be crucified.
If their own services/apps don't work as well on their own platform as competing platforms, or their services/apps are missing features on their own platform as compared to competing platforms, then yes, they (Belfiore and company) should be crucified. I am at least giving them the benefit of the doubt that they were waiting for W10M to get things on par.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
If their own services/apps don't work as well on their own platform as competing platforms, or their services/apps are missing features on their own platform as compared to competing platforms, then yes, they (Belfiore and company) should be crucified. I am at least giving them the benefit of the doubt that they were waiting for W10M to get things on par.

Yes I agree there. Part of the problem so far has been WP's (lack of) capabilities as an operating system. That's at least part of the reason Microsoft does better on iOS and Android than WP; simply because it's not possible on WP.

So far Microsoft in the mobile department has been like a Little Leaguer trying to play in the MLB.

OutlawFirebird

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
They need to invest in getting developers to make wp apps. That is the downside to wp. I love the os, and my icon. But with so many developers avoiding even talking about wp. Makes me think twice sometimes. And I've been a Microsoft supporter for a while, still got my Zune.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Well, considering that any comments relating to Microsoft in Android forums tend to be highly negative (rightly or wrongly), I'd say these kinds of comments at least represent a turning point. I think the battlefield has moved away from platforms to services. There's only so much you can do about innovation, features, UI, or anything else of significance that can't be quickly replicated by competitors anyway. But with services you gain users, and with users you gain leverage. By locking-in users to their ecosystem, Microsoft is going to stand a much higher chance of getting people to switch to WP than, say, live tiles ever could. For business users who rely a lot on Microsoft's services and may not need the latest game, it may make a lot of sense to consider switching. The stakes are now much higher since Google provide many of the same services. Besides fighting Google on its own turf, this is also a pre-emptive move against Google making inroad to its core business. It's better to go on offensive than defensive.

Of course it doesn't quite answer the question why wouldn't Microsoft do more for their own platform. In an ideal world sure, they should. I can only hazard a guess they are waiting for W10M to put the final touches together.

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site

We can't judge the microsoft apps and services on W10M yet.W10M isn't a finished OS yet. and don't think these apps are feature locked on W10m and stay inferior to android/ios counterparts for ever.once W10M is released sure all the Microsoft services will be better on w10m. MS will focus more on w10m to make sure that their apps are much better on w10m.Universal apps will get much better once the OS is ready. Soon most people from other platforms will reach the point where they can't live without MS services(that's what MS want). and by that time w10m will have much revamped universal apps far better than android and ios counterparts. it will be a checkmate. those who care much about MS services will have no choice but to switch to W10M(at least as a secondary phone).

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel