Sounds like MS's investment on android/ios apps is beginning to pay off

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Despite the petty replies I do agree the strategy is working.

Why? It worked on me, I was full apple, until I started using Microsoft apps, being impressed by them and seeing how quickly they were progressing. I then changed from iPhone to Lumia and from an ipad to a linx 10. my wife has also changed from a 5s to a 735 my step son is also looking at changing.

so yeah, good service impresses people, makes them look again at a company they may have dismissed and change their opinion, its not rocket science really, thank goodness some of the folks here replying are not running Microsoft is all I can say....

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
By locking-in users to their ecosystem, Microsoft is going to stand a much higher chance of getting people to switch to WP than, say, live tiles ever could.

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better. That is exactly what is going to happen. I think MS has made a brilliant decision by letting users from other mobile platform to taste their services.

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Speak for yourself. I never had an issue with it. If anything I always defended Microsoft's ambitions in these forums.

The bottom line remains that Android and IOS are getting new functionality before Windows Phone users. Simple as that. I don't criticize Microsoft for developing great applications for other platforms. They've always done that, even back in the PC days. I criticize the lack of functionality for those same applications as experienced on Windows Phone.

That was never an issue with the PC. It wasn't as though Mac OS X had great Microsoft apps that did not exist on Windows XP, for example. So it is off putting to see them doing this with mobile. It just feels as though now that Microsoft is involved in hardware creation that they have a conflict of interests with their base, and other markets they want to be a part of.

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Universal apps for Windows 10 is NOT going to bring anyone from Android or IOS over to our side. I honestly do not know why anyone would believe that. I know that this is how WC evangelizes Windows 10, and it makes for good marketing but it just does not make sense. If I have an Android or IOS powered phone why would I leave for Windows if I can get the same apps from Microsoft on the phone I already have?

Outside of Office and OneDrive what apps exist on Windows Phone that an Android or IOS user would even want or need? The only case scenario I could see if with using OneDrive as a music locker for Groove Music. It is so much easier to do on Windows Phone than it is IOS. The only down side is that you will eventually have to pay for additional storage (once you use up the 15 - 30 GB Microsoft provides everyone), or consider renting Office 365 or get a pass to get around that limitation. And Android users get free storage, and that storage is dedicated to music it can't be used for anything else, so Google Play Music is a better option.

If Microsoft is serious about Groove Music they need to offer free radio, in order to compete with what Android and IOS is doing (iTunes Radio). I don't even use Groove Music anymore. Why should I; the app doesn't address my needs. Google Play Music's radio service is actually good, and MixRadio cannabalizes Groove Music anyway. Plus Groove Music cannot sync what is in OneDrive with what is in the cache on the phone to save it's life.

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Universal apps for Windows 10 is NOT going to bring anyone from Android or IOS over to our side. I honestly do not know why anyone would believe that. I know that this is how WC evangelizes Windows 10, and it makes for good marketing but it just does not make sense. If I have an Android or IOS powered phone why would I leave for Windows if I can get the same apps from Microsoft on the phone I already have?

Outside of Office and OneDrive what apps exist on Windows Phone that an Android or IOS user would even want or need? The only case scenario I could see if with using OneDrive as a music locker for Groove Music. It is so much easier to do on Windows Phone than it is IOS. The only down side is that you will eventually have to pay for additional storage (once you use up the 15 - 30 GB Microsoft provides everyone), or consider renting Office 365 or get a pass to get around that limitation. And Android users get free storage, and that storage is dedicated to music it can't be used for anything else, so Google Play Music is a better option.

If Microsoft is serious about Groove Music they need to offer free radio, in order to compete with what Android and IOS is doing (iTunes Radio). I don't even use Groove Music anymore. Why should I; the app doesn't address my needs. Google Play Music's radio service is actually good, and MixRadio cannabalizes Groove Music anyway. Plus Groove Music cannot sync what is in OneDrive with what is in the cache on the phone to save it's life.

I left apple for windows phone after using the apps, so it IS bringing people across. Seems going by the discussion at the start others are thinking the same.

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
I left apple for windows phone after using the apps, so it IS bringing people across. Seems going by the discussion at the start others are thinking the same.
But is this is because of how locked down Apple is, or was it because you realized that the same smooth performance you experience on an iPhone, you could get for less money from a Windows Phone? Was it for the example I provided, or were there other applications or experiences you had on Windows Phone that made you want to use it as your daily driver?

I'm not suggesting that there aren't compelling reasons to come to WP. What I'm saying, is that Universal Apps alone, particularly when these apps are going to be ports from other platforms and reworked for WP after the fact of having existed on other platforms, in and of itself, is not a game changer. Apps are still going to be developed for Apple first, then Android, and they may eventually make their way to Windows Phone at the end of the day.

Wbutchart1

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I changed because as i used the apps on my ipad and iphone i saw them getting updated loads, developing so quickly that soon i stopped using pages. When it came time for a mobile upgrade i thought about a windows phone and went for the 535, saving myself a fair bit of money too.

KSilcox

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I think it's genius. Microsoft is making headway into closed realms. Apple and Google won't release their apps on the Windows platform but Windows releases it's apps EVERYWHERE. Which will you choose to partner with? I pick Windows.

Last edited:

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

For heavy users of Microsoft services within an Android/Apple world, I'm pretty confident there WILL be many who will give W10M a serious thought. Come on, a phone is not like your lifetime investment, there are those who wouldn't mind spending a couple hundred bucks to try something new, especially if they are already fully invested in Microsoft's services. There are reasons to believe that once W10M and universal apps appear, there will be tighter integration of these services that the experience on W10M would be better than other platforms.

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
So what? Two random internet Joes, that are probably paid said that they MIGHT change their minds and this leads to bold statements?

Are you always like this? Paid? Really? Or are you just miserable all the time?

Its actually not just a "few" joes. I've had quite a few conversations like this with android users at work. They are all saying the same thing; that Microsoft is reclaiming productivity back from google. They aren't as convinced with Windows Mobile yet but they are all GLOWING about using Microsoft services again. And one did say he was switching to W10M when his contract is out. So stop being so negative all the time. Unless, and I'll use your cynical stance here, you are just a "PAID GOOGLE SHILL". :p

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Outside of Office and OneDrive what apps exist on Windows Phone that an Android or IOS user would even want or need?

OneNote, Cortana, Outlook, and I'm sure they are actively working on many new ones. Once you have developed a very solid reputation for making quality apps, I'm sure people will try out whatever new things you come up with.

bradm77

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I get that there is some frustration right now with apps being released earlier on Android and Ios, and being better on those platforms, I have felt that same angst. But looking at the "long view", Satya has said on more than one occasion that their goal is to have the BEST experience for MS apps and services be on WP...

Rome wasn't built in a day, and WP has a LONG way to go to be a viable player, but considering the mess Ballmer left us with, I am cautiously EXCITED about where MSFT is going with mobile...

Those who wish to can now resume their wailing and gnashing of teeth. LOL

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Speak for yourself. I never had an issue with it. If anything I always defended Microsoft's ambitions in these forums.

The bottom line remains that Android and IOS are getting new functionality before Windows Phone users. Simple as that. I don't criticize Microsoft for developing great applications for other platforms. They've always done that, even back in the PC days. I criticize the lack of functionality for those same applications as experienced on Windows Phone.

While on a base level, I could agree with you, but from a technical level I can't. From WP7 through WP8.1, all of these aforementioned services have all been baked directly into the OS. At the time, I had a Samsung Omnia running Windows Mobile 6.5, more of a PDA than a phone. All of that integration is what led me to my HTC Radar, then to an 8X, and now to the L630 I am currently using.

Now, on the surface that seems like, and is a wonderful idea. The issue there is that it takes an update of the entire OS in order to bring anything new to these baked-in features. And we all know how well OS updates are supported by the carriers. Can you even begin to imagine a "Patch Tuesday" scenario knowing this?

With W10M, all of these services/apps are now their own entities, meaning they can now receive updates in the Store just like anything else. Heck, you can even uninstall them if you want. Just as Wbutchart stated, updates can almost be expected with regularity. I can foresee regular "feature updates" to all of these services/apps, such as drivers to print from Word to a brand new make of Wi-Fi enabled printer. On a side note, I got so freakin excited when I saw the native PDF printing feature in the Office & Maps apps. Sweet!!! I gave Insider feedback for the need to expand upon this to Edge, Photos, etc.....

Now that I've rambled on, I will say that with W10 for PC, XBox One, tablet and finally mobile, MS has one hell of an opportunity to make all of us die-hards extremely happy and all them other folks drool. On the flip-side, if there is even a modicum of any functionality that is brought to the other platforms before we get it, or if our experience is anything but stellar by comparison, me and the pyro guy from earlier in the thread are going to go to Redmond, and I'll bring the matches, who else wants to come?

Please Microsoft, don't f*#ck this up!! I'm too pretty to go to prison!!!!

Neyney10

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
OneNote on android renders my language [Hebrew] Horribly. so Horribly its unreadable or can make proper notes, in English it works perfectly nice though.
on my WP OneNote works faster and better both my language and English.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
2.7% marketshare.. any burns now?

Can you back up your quote with facts ? Where ? US or another location in the world ? I hate these claims, Oh, Windows Phone has a 25% marketshare....Oh, wait, no facts to back it up... LOL

Last was posted was around 3.5% in the US still low but, Microsoft's Unversal app stratagy and Windows 10 acceptance on a global level might help with groth here. At least one can hope...This is not going to help anything in the short term tho...unless you get that dream app next week.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Indeed people's impression on Microsoft is the main obstacle for the adoption of Microsoft's products and services.

Most people still don't have good impression on Microsoft. The situation is improving in recent years (thanks to Surface, Office 365, and the general positive comments on Windows 10) but there is still much room for improvement.

So Microsoft's strategy is to let the world know they can offer good quality services. Their ultimate goal is to convince users to use their hardware.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Considering and doing are poles apart. I did. I left android after many years of using and rom cooking from the Galaxy 2 through to 3, and predominantly Note 3. I'm not going back. Lollipop always felt unfinished, OEM's, like Samsung, took ages to release official OS's, and they were stacked with bloat, memory bleed always an issue, several releases to fix continuous bugs.....

Love the windows OS. Not going back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion