Why is W10M lacking features?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Uh...no, Windows 10 Mobile isn't perfect. But the beautiful part of it is the Windows Insider program. It's the deep integration of Windows Feedback throughout the OS. It's the addition of almost every core feature being an application in the Windows Store, so it can be updated separately. It's marvelous, the potential here. Have patience.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Some examples (but all you have to do is to try W10M):
Impossible to use the phone with one hand (this is a big step backwards)! Difficult to clear notifications, No week numbers in calendar, no month view, no shared mail folders, no HERE maps/apps, no ME tile and FB sync, no customization of sounds, EDGE (does not work on most pages and does not sync) etc etc.

Just use it and you will notice

The one handed question was addressed. The procedure to clear notifications is the same as in 8.1, swipe down and clear all. Maybe I misunderstand what you are referring to? The calendar question was addressed. Here Maps & Here Drive automatically installed for me after a hard reset. FB sync works the same as in 8.1, via the Facebook app and enabling the Connect to Phone option. Yes, ME tile is gone though, but most people did not use it. Sounds can be customized in Notifications & Actions settings. Under the Show notifications from these apps section, just click on the actual text of which item you wish to customize, first example click on Messaging or Facebook, then select the Notification Sound. Of course ringtones and text tones can be selected for individual contacts in the People app, as before. EDGE loads sites for me just fine; many that didn't work good in IE work better in EDGE. Which specific sites are you have problems with? You should report them in the Windows Feedback app. EDGE sync does not work for me either but that should be fixed in a future build.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
The one handed question was addressed.

How? Windows home does at least not give me any “one hand mode” on my L925.

The procedure to clear notifications is the same as in 8.1, swipe down and clear all.
And how do you fast clear lets say all Whatsup messages but keep some emails?

The calendar question was addressed.
I have weeknumbers in WP8.1 but not in W10M.

Here Maps & Here Drive automatically installed for me after a hard reset.
Not on my L925 (after a hard reset). Still no HERE apps at all (and they are not in the store either).

FB sync works the same as in 8.1, via the Facebook app and enabling the Connect to Phone option. Yes, ME tile is gone though, but most people did not use it.
I.e. FB sync to a ME tile is not existing any more.

Sounds can be customized in Notifications & Actions settings. Under the Show notifications from these apps section, just click on the actual text of which item you wish to customize, first example click on Messaging or Facebook, then select the Notification Sound. Of course ringtones and text tones can be selected for individual contacts in the People app, as before.
Why can you not just change the ring tone fast and simple directly (per contact) in the phone app?

EDGE loads sites for me just fine; many that didn't work good in IE work better in EDGE. Which specific sites are you have problems with?

di.se - Nyheter SvD | Sveriges kvalitetssajt f?r nyheter www.seclockers.com Expressen | Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport N?je TV | Expressen etc etc

You should report them in the Windows Feedback app. EDGE sync does not work for me either but that should be fixed in a future build.

Let’s not hold our breaths…

And, the dialpad is so bad in W10M that it worse than HTC from 2009…

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
It's easy to list 5 items that haven't made it yet (of which about 2 are real) and forget about all the gains in WM10. There are probably 100's of improvements. Ranging from a modern more compatible web browser and Astoria which will bring 1000's of apps to the platform to smaller ones like APIs to display Wi-Fi signal strength from apps. Even within things like Cortana are stacks of improvements. Can you track packages and send emails via Cortana in WP8.1? No. Well she does a lot more in 10. Everything does more, with a few exceptions which will get addressed as the apps are improved.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
*You can use it with one hand. It even brings the screen down if you hold the windows button. And you can bring it back up by holding it again. If you're referring to the hamburger menu versus ellipses, how is this even comparable to android or ios when they both have the same setup.
*Calendar is fine you're just slow
*Edge works on everything, show me something it does not work on then we can talk. It's also blazing fast.
*FB sync happens within the fb application, you have to enable it.
*difficult to clear notifications? do yo have any fingers? You slide to the right. If you want to clear a whole category, you slide the category name to the right. Oh wait... you were probably doing it one by one... lol.
*Here drive/maps all there
*No customization of sounds? What are you talking about, go to the user profile and you can have ring/text sounds. Also, you can create your own sounds using ringmaker which comes with it. There's many places. Once again you just enjoy whining because it's cool to do it.
*Call history has a search icon at the bottom, what are you on?
*settings for apps should be in the apps section, not sure what you're complaining about. People setup their app in the app not in a settings page. This makes way more sense for anyone who deals with UI.
*accounts for google can be added in the accounts section as mine is. You can then select to use it in outlook.

*integrating straight into the OS is the dumbest thing a company can do. If fb makes a change do you want to wait 2 months for an OS update or a week for the app to be updated? The APIS take care of the integration and any app can do it if the application developer decides to. It's not Microsoft's job.

Windows 10 mobile is far better than 8.1. And if you think otherwise you haven't actually learned to use it. You have 0 valid complaints. If it sucks on your phone, well that's just the way it is. My 830 runs it perfectly with no issues. And make sure you're on the right build.

Only thing I agree with is that the UI needs to be consistent. One place has hamburger menus, another place has ellipses, etc. Outlook is pretty ugly with those thin cogs and send buttons etc.. But it's still not finished so won't really say much. Hell even Windows Desktop isn't finished yet, just stable.

kokola

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
Missed the time when Nokia still produced WP.
A lot of features and innovation introduced by them.
-Glance
-Double tap to wake
-Folder app
-Pureview
-Lumia Camera etc

After the sale of the D&S by Nokia, no new features (or too slow to introduce) by MS

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Windows 10 mobile is far better than 8.1. And if you think otherwise you haven't actually learned to use it. You have 0 valid complaints. If it sucks on your phone, well that's just the way it is. My 830 runs it perfectly with no issues. And make sure you're on the right build.

Only thing I agree with is that the UI needs to be consistent. One place has hamburger menus, another place has ellipses, etc. Outlook is pretty ugly with those thin cogs and send buttons etc.. But it's still not finished so won't really say much. Hell even Windows Desktop isn't finished yet, just stable.

I couldn't have said it better myself, unless I used copious amounts of profane language to bring into question OP's apparent checkered parentage!!

The UI does need its consistency back. I'm using the feedback app so much, it'll probably replace 9gag as my most used. And that includes on the PC. Isn't it weird that the Mobile version is just so much better than the PC's??

Ooooh, speaking of functionality and what not.. Did you get a chubby when you saw the print to PDF function in Maps & Office, AND an even bigger one when you played with Outlook's new ways to open AND attach files to mail??? I mean it's fricking fixed!!! Almost had to toss one off!!!

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Missed the time when Nokia still produced WP.
A lot of features and innovation introduced by them.
-Glance
-Double tap to wake
-Folder app
-Pureview
-Lumia Camera etc

After the sale of the D&S by Nokia, no new features (or too slow to introduce) by MS

Yo, that just means you're not looking hard enough.

Darryl Dixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Windows is always one step behind in features, marketing, and prioritizing. Windows 10 Mobile is in my opinion at least a year away from being a reliable, stable, full featured OS. They've been working on this thing for over a year now and they can't even get pass the start screen constantly in loading status? SMH!

kokola

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
Why is W10M lacking features? Because it is still unfinished.

In an interview with The Verge Windows head Joe Belfiore confirmed this, saying:

“The phone is significantly feature complete, but we’ll continue to polish and tweak and iterate the things that still need to work.”

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Both Windows 10 & Windows 10 Mobile offer a rather basic set of features at the moment. I really think they dropped the ball by slowing of so many features that didn't make the cut at RTM, and it'll be the same story for mobile. We just keep getting the "...in a future update" line.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
How? Windows home does at least not give me any ?one hand mode? on my L925.

And how do you fast clear lets say all Whatsup messages but keep some emails?

I have weeknumbers in WP8.1 but not in W10M.

Not on my L925 (after a hard reset). Still no HERE apps at all (and they are not in the store either).

I.e. FB sync to a ME tile is not existing any more.

Why can you not just change the ring tone fast and simple directly (per contact) in the phone app?

di.se - Nyheter SvD | Sveriges kvalitetssajt f?r nyheter www.seclockers.com Expressen | Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport N?je TV | Expressen etc etc

Let?s not hold our breaths?

And, the dialpad is so bad in W10M that it worse than HTC from 2009?

Already told you how to clear only whatsapp messages. You swipe the word whatsapp. The top category. Very simple thing that my friends nephew figured out at 5 years old.

I just went to those websites and they work fine. I can even go to expressen and watch the tv section etc...

my guess is: You are not on the latest build or you haven't gone in the store and checked for all app updates.

per contact works. You are seriously running on the wrong build. 10512 is a 2 step process to get to if you are upgrading from 8.1. You need to first get 10661 and then you can upgrade to 10512.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
In an interview with The Verge Windows head Joe Belfiore confirmed this, saying:

“The phone is significantly feature complete, but we’ll continue to polish and tweak and iterate the things that still need to work.”

So... do you agree or disagree? Belfiore, according to your post, is saying that Windows 10 isn't finished yet since it still needs to be polished, tweaked and iterated. As for "significantly feature-complete", it's tricky to determine with certainty what a person in his position really meant. What is "feature-complete"? And why use "significantly"? What is "significant"? Besides, what may be "complete" or "significant" for Belfiore may not be "complete" or "significant" for others, especially the critics. It's a corporate answer, and is different from plainly saying, "Windows 10 Mobile is complete and is ready for public release." It's this kind of statement that thicken the plot; it stirs up opinion among the critics and solicits hope among the faithful. :smile:

kokola

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
So... do you agree or disagree? Belfiore, according to your post, is saying that Windows 10 isn't finished yet since it still needs to be polished, tweaked and iterated. As for "significantly feature-complete", it's tricky to determine with certainty what a person in his position really meant. What is "feature-complete"? And why use "significantly"? What is "significant"? Besides, what may be "complete" or "significant" for Belfiore may not be "complete" or "significant" for others, especially the critics. It's a corporate answer, and is different from plainly saying, "Windows 10 Mobile is complete and is ready for public release." It's this kind of statement that thicken the plot; it stirs up opinion among the critics and solicits hope among the faithful. :smile:

Or maybe he meant what he said.
LOL...I'm not a language expert but you are analyzing it too much.

awsomsauce

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Or maybe he meant what he said.
LOL...I'm not a language expert but you are analyzing it too much.

Or he means that the current TP is feature complete and no new features will be added until after it's released. How did the interviewer ask the question? That could answer the question for us.

From what I've been reading, W10M and W10 will act in the same way as Xbox does now, with monthly updates that will add in new features as time goes on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)