Why is W10M lacking features?

desaideas1

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
i'm sure it has to do with all of the features being rewritten in Asp.net 5, or typescript whichever they are using (I believe typescript).

A major complaint for me is not custom notification sounds for text messages or app notifications. At least in this build text and notifications have different sounds...was driving me mad getting same sound for both notification types.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
i'm sure it has to do with all of the features being rewritten in Asp.net 5, or typescript whichever they are using (I believe typescript).

A major complaint for me is not custom notification sounds for text messages or app notifications. At least in this build text and notifications have different sounds...was driving me mad getting same sound for both notification types.

Aren't we already able to set custom notifications for different system events in Windows Phone 8.1, e.g. different notification sound for SMS, for call, for different apps with each app having a different sound?

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
1) How? Windows home does at least not give me any ?one hand mode? on my L925.
2) And how do you fast clear lets say all Whatsup messages but keep some emails?
3) I have weeknumbers in WP8.1 but not in W10M.
4) Not on my L925 (after a hard reset). Still no HERE apps at all (and they are not in the store either).
5) I.e. FB sync to a ME tile is not existing any more.
6) Why can you not just change the ring tone fast and simple directly (per contact) in the phone app?
7)di.se - Nyheter SvD | Sveriges kvalitetssajt f?r nyheter www.seclockers.com Expressen | Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport N?je TV | Expressen etc etc
Let?s not hold our breaths?
8)And, the dialpad is so bad in W10M that it worse than HTC from 2009?

1) if you want to reach the top left corner, hold windows key, the left hand corner moves to the middle of the screen, very nice, i use it a lot.
2) this part was hugely improved over wp8.1, you can either clear all notification, or specific app notifications, or even single notifications within the app, so if you want to clear WhatsApp notifications, just swipe the word WhatsApp from left to right.
3) there is a drop down list in the settings that is dedicated to weeknumbers.
4) Here maps are available, you are now just being stubborn.
5) Microsoft couldn't keep up with the changes that facebook are doing in their backend, so they dropped this feature, but hey, no other OS does that anyway.
6) each contact can have their special ringtone, easily.
7) i am not sure about you, but the websites look fine to me.
8) the dialpad is just the same.

shadow118

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
1) if you want to reach the top left corner, hold windows key, the left hand corner moves to the middle of the screen, very nice, i use it a lot.
4) Here maps are available, you are now just being stubborn.
6) each contact can have their special ringtone, easily.

1) Isn't that limited to certain size phones? I don't have that on my 620 (not that I need it)
4) They aren't available for me neither. When searching for HERE Maps or HERE Drive in the store, nothing comes up. All I got is Windows maps, which I'd be fine with if pinch to zoom worked (now it's double tap to zoom or single two-finger tap to unzoom)
6) How can I set my default SMS tone? I know, you can set individual tones for everyone but I can't find and option to change the defailt SMS tone, I can only change the ringtone :(

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
1) Isn't that limited to certain size phones? I don't have that on my 620 (not that I need it)
4) They aren't available for me neither. When searching for HERE Maps or HERE Drive in the store, nothing comes up. All I got is Windows maps, which I'd be fine with if pinch to zoom worked (now it's double tap to zoom or single two-finger tap to unzoom)
6) How can I set my default SMS tone? I know, you can set individual tones for everyone but I can't find and option to change the defailt SMS tone, I can only change the ringtone :(

I stand corrected,

i don't know about your 620, but my 930 does it.

here maps where when my phone when i upgraded, but true, i cant find them in the store... btw i use WAZE

default ringtones is easy, default sms tones i never tried that, i don't use SMS any way.

apologies if i mislead anyone.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I have a 1520. It's possible that the one-handed feature is limited to larger phones. In regards to HERE Maps and HERE Drive, I think there might be more to it than what we are thinking. My carrier is AT&T and their apps as well as HERE Maps and HERE Drive are automatically installing for me after a hard reset; however, the apps are not listed in the store. It's possible which apps automatically install are dependent upon the carrier. There are some other apps not available in the store though the majority seem to be there. It may be possible that Microsoft wants them updated for Windows 10 before appearing in the Windows 10 store for whatever reason.
I've posted the instructions for changing the default SMS tone before. Go to Settings/System/Notifications & Actions. Under "Show notifications from these apps", touch on the text that says "Messaging" Here you can change the Notification sound.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey, I'm tired of reading about these arguments And frankly, I'm disappointed, because I read about this last week.

The one-hand operation by holding start is limited to phones 5" or larger. If you have one, you should also be able to move your keyboard by dragging it.

Again, this is a feature set for devices 5" or larger!!!!!

As for the HERE and maybe some of the other apps. Go and install SysApp Pusher. Using this you should be able to snatch your precious babies back

shadow118

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Go to Settings/System/Notifications & Actions. Under "Show notifications from these apps", touch on the text that says "Messaging" Here you can change the Notification sound.
I don't have Messaging there :( Only Endomondo, Outlook Mail and some NokiaCorporation.DeviceHub thing. I can change sounds for those three, but that's all that shows up there.
I've got an unlocked phone, carriers aren't really a thing here (I'm from Latvia)

As for the HERE and maybe some of the other apps. Go and install SysApp Pusher. Using this you should be able to snatch your precious babies back
Just tried that. It opens the store page for HERE maps or drive, but the Install button is greyed out and it says, the app is no longer available.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't have Messaging there :( Only Endomondo, Outlook Mail and some NokiaCorporation.DeviceHub thing. I can change sounds for those three, but that's all that shows up there.
I've got an unlocked phone, carriers aren't really a thing here (I'm from Latvia)

It should typically show up after you receive your first text message, just like other apps will as soon as they first send you a toast notification. Did you just do a hard reset and not receive any text messages yet, by chance?

shadow118

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
It should typically show up after you receive your first text message, just like other apps will as soon as they first send you a toast notification. Did you just do a hard reset and not receive any text messages yet, by chance?

Just checked, an incoming message doesn't even appear on the notification pane. And has no sound :(

trwrt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
My biggest disappointment is that it seems that after all this time they still haven't included location-based profiles, or even added an API so an app can set my phone to turn off the ringer and switch to vibrate when I leave my house. This is such utterly basic functionality that it boggles my mind they can't get around to it.

Darryl Dixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
This build is totally unusable on my phone. I can't believe that after all this time, I have to still deal with the constantly resuming start screen.

floppyedonkey

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
My biggest disappointment is that it seems that after all this time they still haven't included location-based profiles, or even added an API so an app can set my phone to turn off the ringer and switch to vibrate when I leave my house. This is such utterly basic functionality that it boggles my mind they can't get around to it.

Please name a phone that comes with this "basic functionality" out of the box.

trwrt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The OnePlus One would have it as it is part of Cyanogenmod. But any Android phone can do it if you install Llama, don't need to be rooted or anything like that. I also had this on my webOS phones, Symbian could do it, I think iPhones can do it, the old Windows Mobile had it, etc. In Windows Phone it's not possible even to write a third-party app since they don't provide an API to change the settings.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
The OnePlus One would have it as it is part of Cyanogenmod. But any Android phone can do it if you install Llama, don't need to be rooted or anything like that. I also had this on my webOS phones, Symbian could do it, I think iPhones can do it, the old Windows Mobile had it, etc. In Windows Phone it's not possible even to write a third-party app since they don't provide an API to change the settings.

No, I've never had a Symbian phone to have it out of the box. Nor does iPhone. Installing llama isn't an out of box experience. Windows mobile did not have it either, and I still have my Windows mobile phone.

I can't say if cyanogenmod would have it, as it is a basic version of Android without the boat ware.

trwrt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I didn't think I claimed that Symbian or iPhone could do it without an app, maybe I didn't write it very clearly. I don't see why that matters, though. It's a smartphone, the whole point is that you can use apps to extend the functionality. Llama is in the Google Play store so it's not some exotic, complex thing. I just wish Windows would expose some of the necessary OS hooks to make an app like this possible. There's no reason not to do it other than lack of effort.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi gang. I've had a read through this thread and there are some great ideas. There are also a few dissenters.

The insider program is a great system, giving users, not just some group in an office, a chance to have their say in the real world. From what I have seen, and correct me if I am wrong, wouldn't these issues with WM10 insider, be down to the fact that it is not device specific?? Some seem to get all of the functions, some are missing some. Maybe it's just a raw release this time, especially after 10166, which worked great, but never had hey cortana. This latest one doesn't have glance...Maybe that's why people are getting different experiences.

Does seem a bit of a step back from10166....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion