The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
03-26-2016 11:15 PM
1,870 ... 1213141516 ...
tools
    Did you go to Extras+Info

Div D

Commented via Windows Central for Android
    12-23-2015 09:14 AM
    I wanted a firmware upgrade for my lumia 640 due to -
    -poor image capture. The camera appears to fine but processed photos appear dull and washed out after being clicked.
    -blurry text -present on all windows phone 8.1 (update 2) + denim phones.
    But now I have lost all hope.. I dont think that they are going to fix device specific issues even if an update comes... Still no news of new firmware from the devices division (formerly nokia).
    The nokia/lumia specific firmware used to come with specific names...cyan, denim..what happened to that???
    Wait for a few days, it may come

Div D

12-23-2015 09:15 AM
    I wanted a firmware upgrade for my lumia 640 due to -
    -poor image capture. The camera appears to fine but processed photos appear dull and washed out after being clicked.
    -blurry text -present on all windows phone 8.1 (update 2) + denim phones.
    But now I have lost all hope.. I dont think that they are going to fix device specific issues even if an update comes... Still no news of new firmware from the devices division (formerly nokia).
    The nokia/lumia specific firmware used to come with specific names...cyan, denim..what happened to that???
    And you can also try out free camera apps from the wstore and check it

Div D

12-23-2015 09:18 AM
    That was something Nokia did to promote their devices and stuff.

If you look at a Lumia with 10 installed it'll just say "Lumia Windows 10" so it's probably going to move away from the separate labeled firmware thing. (like most everyone else)
    12-24-2015 05:49 AM
    iOS 9 released, Marshmallow already rolling out to devices, Apple already working on budget phone . And MS to wp users are like Cortana now says 'fine' instead of 'i m fine' in the latest 'preview' build update and the known issue is, once u do that, u have to reset ur OS to make Cortana work the next time. WP10 will be ready by late 2016 on 'Select' windows phones when iOS 10 wud be rolling out. Great news you know!
    Last edited by emjey; 12-30-2015 at 07:11 AM.
    nareshkumarcool likes this.
    12-30-2015 06:40 AM
    What are the latest News? I am desperately waiting for W10m for my Lumia 930 :)))
    12-30-2015 08:29 PM
    There is no latest news. In regard to the time frame for the W10M update being released officially, the best info I'm aware of is "early 2016".
    source

The first post has been updated accordingly.
    libra89 likes this.
    12-31-2015 03:28 AM
    I think MS is on a strategy to sell out as many 950's and 550's as possible so that current users who are willing to upgrade will buy new phones and gain a fair amount of share. Impatient users will shell out credits to get their hands on first official w10m phones. I hope MS will iron out other storage and standby time issues on all phones incl. non lumia's.
    12-31-2015 11:32 AM
    I think MS is on a strategy to sell out as many 950's and 550's as possible so that current users who are willing to upgrade will buy new phones and gain a fair amount of share. Impatient users will shell out credits to get their hands on first official w10m phones. I hope MS will iron out other storage and standby time issues on all phones incl. non lumia's.
    Good point. The same happened when ddevices with 8.1 was launched, and how the upgrade to windows 8 users was delayed
    12-31-2015 05:46 PM
    So can we except W10M update anytime from tomorrow since all kinds of holidays are done currently?
    Yes, in the same way you could expect it for the 1st of March, or much later, depending on how quickly your carrier decides to validate it. If you're expecting it every day starting from tomorrow, you're likely in for many days of consecutive disappointments.
    01-03-2016 08:08 AM
    Yes, in the same way you could expect it for the 1st of March, or much later, depending on how quickly your carrier decides to validate it. If you're expecting it every day starting from tomorrow, you're likely in for many days of consecutive disappointments.
    Well, we dont have any carrier restrictions here in India, but, isn't mobile roll out gonna be as quick as desktop was? And does early 2016 means anytime before JUNE? :-/
    01-03-2016 09:20 AM
    I thought the carriers had nothing to do with the release anymore. Is Microsoft not releasing this independent of the carriers like Apple? I have an unlocked 930 on the Rogers network.
    emjey likes this.
    01-03-2016 09:24 AM
    I thought the carriers had nothing to do with the release anymore. Is Microsoft not releasing this independent of the carriers like Apple? I have an unlocked 930 on the Rogers network.
    MS itself is acting like third party developers. Just coz they dont have enough market share meaning, they dont need to consider W10M release a priority. More than one year of an insider beta build and still a half baked OS. Seriously?
    01-03-2016 09:54 AM
    Wrong. The currently accepted notion is as follows:

1. MS has redesigned W10M so those parts that carriers insist on testing/verifying are very small, localized and independent of everything else. As a result, with W10M, MS should be able to update most things independently, i.e. without carrier involvement. There will be exceptions though, namely when MS makes changes to the radio stack, or possibly firmware.
    2. To gain these W10M update freedoms, your device already must have W10M on it however. If your device is on WP8.1, getting it to W10M still requires that MS goes through the traditional carrier approval process, meaning nobody but the carriers can tell you when to expect the update from WP8.1 to W10M.

And does early 2016 means anytime before JUNE? :-/
    It means anything the folks at MS want it to mean. It certainly doesn't imply you should be expecting it in the first week of January. The end of February is still "early 2016".
    01-03-2016 10:17 AM
    It took you so long to achieve this but BRAVO, Microsoft. God bless you :-/
    01-03-2016 10:33 AM
    So I guess what you are telling me is my 930 on the Rogers Network will not see W10 as the 930 was never launched by this carrier or any other carrier in Canada?
    01-03-2016 12:02 PM
    Microsoft is actually playing HIDE AND SEEK with the public. Isn't it?
    jamesb193 likes this.
    01-03-2016 12:09 PM
    So I guess what you are telling me is my 930 on the Rogers Network will not see W10 as the 930 was never launched by this carrier or any other carrier in Canada?
    No. The carrier your device is currently registered to is irrelevant.

What matters is your device's ROM. For example, if you bought your device from a carrier in Taiwan, meaning your 930 has a Taiwanese and carrier specific ROM, then you'd get the update whenever the Taiwanese carrier greenlights the update, even if your device is currently registered with a Canadian carrier.

If you have an unbranded ROM (country variant that isn't specific to a carrier), then it's MS that greenlights the update rather than a carrier (this tends to happen a bit after the first carriers successfully distribute the update).
    01-03-2016 01:42 PM
    It took you so long to achieve this but BRAVO, Microsoft. God bless you :-/
    You're getting upset over nothing. As is stated in the very first post (for months already), there is no specific date on which we can expect WP8.1 devices to be updated to W10M.

While we are likely to learn when MS releases the update to carriers, that tells us absolutely zilch about when those updates will reach our devices. That's up to carriers. For WP8.1, it's always been up to carriers. This is absolutely nothing new.
    emjey and CanadianGuy_eH like this.
    01-03-2016 01:47 PM
    Like before denim update, it's possibly going to be either this month or February at the latest.
    01-03-2016 10:43 PM
    January 12th is the date windows 10 mobile would be released to masses.

Source : Techradar.com comments as per the official statement from Redmond ao far.
    01-04-2016 03:41 AM
    January 12th is the date windows 10 mobile would be released to masses.

Source : Techradar.com comments as per the official statement from Redmond ao far.
    Yeah... right... and in the sentence directly below it Techradar states:

"That 12 January date may or may not be accurate..."

Basically, Techradar is throwing this piece of unverified information out there to get clicks from people who are too eager to be critical and prefer garbage information over no information at all (the other way around is usually better BTW).

Anyway, any statement that doesn't take into consideration the fact that carriers have a lot to say about the release date is basically just spreading FUD! Just like Techradar. Even if it does turn out to be true for some people, it won't be true for everyone with a WP8.1 device looking to upgrade.
    TechFreak1, Pete, emjey and 2 others like this.
    01-04-2016 05:31 AM
    I installed w10m from Insider yeasterday and it work ok at my Lumia 925. A little bit slow...so i will buy a new Windows Phone soon...maybe surface phone or the phone from HP.

I recommend those who cant wait any longer for the release to do the same...
    01-04-2016 06:01 AM
    I installed w10m from Insider yeasterday and it work ok at my Lumia 925. A little bit slow...so i will buy a new Windows Phone soon...maybe surface phone or the phone from HP.

I recommend those who cant wait any longer for the release to do the same...
    I bbeleive it still requires a hard reset that compromises all your apps in the phone after the update and may screw up the camera and video, resulting in flashing your device back to 8.1? It would be like having visited a planetarium and come back.
    01-04-2016 06:38 AM
    I bbeleive it still requires a hard reset that compromises all your apps in the phone after the update and may screw up the camera and video, resulting in flashing your device back to 8.1? It would be like having visited a planetarium and come back.
    Hi, thank you for your feedback. Please explain, i dont have too much experience with this...
    01-04-2016 06:43 AM
1,870 ... 1213141516 ...