03-26-2016 11:15 PM
1,870 1234 ...
tools
    Anyway, while I am a MS/WP supporter, I done beating this dead horse as you will continue to defend whatever MS does.
    You need look no further than the other thread I most recently posted to (http://forums.windowscentral.com/gen...e/376725-9.htm) to prove yourself wrong on that front too. Jumping to conclusions is not serving you well. Good day.
    GrayW0lf likes this.
    08-25-2015 01:04 AM
    Care to update your thread after the recent articles posted on Windows Central and elsewhere?
    08-25-2015 07:53 PM
    Care to update your thread after the recent articles posted on Windows Central and elsewhere?
    I've updated what I'm aware of. If you think something is missing please feel free to be specific and mention it or link to it in one of your own posts. I'll aggregate the contents of this thread in the first two posts, as far as is reasonable.
    Michael_JL and gpobernardo like this.
    08-26-2015 08:29 AM
    MS promises that every WP8.x device will technically be ABLE to run W10M. There's just a difference between the ability to do something and actually doing it!
    As Ron White eloquently puts it "I had the right to remain silent, but not the ability".
    08-26-2015 09:06 AM
    As Ron White eloquently puts it "I had the right to remain silent, but not the ability".
    Good old "Tater Salad".
    fatclue_98 and a5cent like this.
    08-26-2015 09:33 AM
    if I don't get on my Icon official or not. I will buy an iPhone
    08-26-2015 09:38 AM
    if I don't get on my Icon official or not. I will buy a iPhone
    As stated in the second post, you will be able to get it via the Windows Insider program.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    08-26-2015 09:39 AM
    As stated in the second post, you will be able to get it via the Windows Insider program.
    That does not address his post.

He is referring to an "official" release of W10M for the Lumia Icon.

Being able to put W10M on it through the Insider program is NOT an official release.
    09-05-2015 08:10 PM
    if I don't get on my Icon official or not. I will buy an iPhone
    I agree that the Lumia Icon should receive an "official" release of W10M.
    09-05-2015 08:11 PM

Being able to put W10M on it through the Insider program is NOT an official release.
    We know already...

The only way your distinction matters, is if what is distributed via preview channels differs from what is distributed officially. At this point we just don't know, but I think chances are good the Icon will end up running the exact same software as every officially updated L930, in which case all this crying is just much ado about nothing.

Until we actually do know, I see no point in stoking the fire. It's just fake drama we could all do without.
    09-06-2015 07:52 AM

Yes, it addresses Fearl0rd's post directly on point. The user stated if his Icon didn't get W10M, official or NOT, he would buy an iPhone.
    09-06-2015 11:06 AM
    When windows 10 mobile technical preview will get update? I have lumia 640
    09-07-2015 11:48 AM
    When windows 10 mobile technical preview will get update? I have lumia 640
    This thread is not about the insider preview builds. It's about release dates for the final/official release.

Nobody knows when or how often preview builds will release, not even MS. The fastest way to find out is to subscribe to Gabe Aul's twitter feed. He'll be the first to announce the availability of a new preview build. There are some threads discussing this in the 'Windows 10 Insider Preview' forum. You're welcome to take a look if that interests you.
    09-07-2015 11:59 AM
    We know already...

The only way your distinction matters, is if what is distributed via preview channels differs from what is distributed officially. At this point we just don't know, but I think chances are good the Icon will end up running the exact same software as every officially updated L930, in which case all this crying is just much ado about nothing.

Until we actually do know, I see no point in stoking the fire. It's just fake drama we could all do without.
    Fake drama? I guess you not aware of the terms and conditions that come with joining the insider program. No official support and also might void warranty.
    If it's so simple like you say that the software that the insiders will get is the same as the officially updated phones - why not make it official? Because it also takes much effort to take care of the device-specific features / firmwares. And they won't provide it for sure. Phones with 4GB are out of luck already, thats almost sure. Even with 8GB I don't know how well this works and how much userspace is left. The specs state a partition of at least 1GB for userdata.
    Pretty funny that fanboys always underlined how stable and smooth WP is compared to its competitors. Now nobody seems to have a problem in running half baked software on their phones. I guess whatever MS does will be praised.
    09-07-2015 08:09 PM
    Fake drama? I guess you not aware of the terms and conditions that come with joining the insider program. No official support and also might void warranty.
    If it's so simple like you say that the software that the insiders will get is the same as the officially updated phones - why not make it official? Because it also takes much effort to take care of the device-specific features / firmwares. And they won't provide it for sure. Phones with 4GB are out of luck already, thats almost sure. Even with 8GB I don't know how well this works and how much userspace is left. The specs state a partition of at least 1GB for userdata.
    Pretty funny that fanboys always underlined how stable and smooth WP is compared to its competitors. Now nobody seems to have a problem in running half baked software on their phones. I guess whatever MS does will be praised.
    I realize you haven't been very active here. If you had been, you'd know I've provided my fair share of MS criticisms. It's a matter of what is legitimate and what isn't.

As for the rest, you really need to read my posts more carefully. I didn't say anything was simple. I didn't say insiders are guaranteed to get the same software that is distributed officially. I think it was pretty clear what I was referring to with "fake drama", and it had nothing to do with MS' ToS or warranties. If you don't like the ramifications of the insider preview, then DON'T USE IT! Simple as that. Nobody is forcing it on you.

Finally, I do have issues running half baked software on my phone, which is why I don't run W10M on my main phone.

I'm glad to debate you, but nothing you've said in any way represents what I actually think, nor do I understand what you're trying to say. Sorry.
    09-07-2015 08:31 PM
    Crickey, talk about going round in circles! If you think the 'vague' W10m, is fogging people's ideas / judgement / worry etc...try putting up with Android, especially OEM versions. Your device has only got to be a year old and the chances of getting updates, from OEM's who have nice shiny new devices to sell, is fairly remote, or sometimes taking months to appear.

We are in a good position with MS, as they are 'officially' updating a very large quota of devices, which in android, would would be down to the OEM's to decide who is worthy, unless of course, you go custom.

Most of the devices will run it. As mentioned, if not officially, then a preview. There have also been threads confusing the issue of RAM and storage. You will need more than 4gb, as it looks like W10M will be a large OS, and reliability etc will be affected. You don't really want to use an OS on an SD card due to speed restrictions, and the fact that SD cards can only be written / read, a finite amount of times.

October / November is looking likely for release. I say that because the TP is still some way off finished yet. It runs on my boys 435 with just minor lag issues. haven't tried it on my 640xl yet
    MikeSo likes this.
    09-08-2015 05:04 AM
    I'm aiming October/November. However im sure updates would roll out in waves and will take some time. It's normal.
    09-09-2015 07:58 AM
    Did anyone else receive an email from Microsoft inviting them to view a special event announcement by Microsoft about w10m, it's says October 6, I wonder if that's when they are gonna officially release windows 10 mobile?
    09-15-2015 05:16 PM
    Did anyone else receive an email from Microsoft inviting them to view a special event announcement by Microsoft about w10m, it's says October 6, I wonder if that's when they are gonna officially release windows 10 mobile?
    Got the same email, but nothing specific has been indicated. Examining the source code of the page reveals a few comma-separated keywords: "Windows 10 devices, Windows devices, Microsoft Band, Microsoft Surface, Lumia, Live stream, Windows announcement, Windows Phone" - these are the exact keywords which can be found (as of the date and time of this post). Then again, those don't really tell us anything. Will they be showing us new [list the first five and the eight keywords here] through an official [seventh keyword] via [sixth keyword, gerund form]? Possibly.

I guess the best we can do is actually wait for October 6 and then watch their event/presentation.
    Mike Newport and TheSteve87 like this.
    09-16-2015 07:18 AM
    I really wonder why "everybody" is talking about release of w10m in october. So I check back here and really wonder where people got the idea from. The latest build is not even beta status I would say. And judging by the progress with every build we have seen so far I not expect a release within this year anymore.
    Likely we will see some new devices at the october event, yeah. But completely different story when they will become available (with w10m).
    09-25-2015 04:03 AM
    I really wonder why "everybody" is talking about release of w10m in October.
    Everything in the first post is sourced from articles that were published on WCentral, for example this one:

Windows 10 Mobile could launch for manufacturers in late September or October | Windows Central

That's where the statement comes from that W10M is expected to ship to OEMs in October (I've added that source to the first post).

You can take it or leave it, that's up to you. If you want to speculate otherwise then you can do so here to your heart's content, but at least in the first post, I'll be sticking to what WCentral has published so far.

I wouldn't be surprised if everything is moved back by about a month either, but there is no way the releases will be postponed to next year. The L950/XL will likely ship with a preview build of W10M before that happens.
    Last edited by a5cent; 09-25-2015 at 05:50 AM. Reason: added second and third paragraphs
    gpobernardo likes this.
    09-25-2015 05:25 AM
    I'll be sticking to what WCentral has published so far.
    Well I not see much reliable evidence in these articles. WC has been wrong on many things in the past as well.

wouldn't be surprised if everything is moved back by about a month either
    At least a month. Keep in mind that the new devices have features relying on the new hardware (continuum, windows hello etc.) which could not be tested with the current devices that running the perview builds. That doesn't make things easier / faster.

there is no way the releases will be postponed to next year
    What makes you so sure about that?

The L950/XL will likely ship with a preview build of W10M before that happens.
    Bad decision if they do so. Flagship phones with half-baked software that maybe lacks some of the new features they announced and only the vague promise that things will get better with later builds. A word given by a company that has long tradition in abandoning platforms / devices rather quickly.
    09-25-2015 07:18 AM
    Well I not see much reliable evidence in these articles. WC has been wrong on many things in the past as well.
    Ehm... yes, no evidence. That's why you may have noticed the word "could" in the title, as in "could launch for manufacturers". If there was evidence the title would have been "will launch for manufacturers".

I know WCentral has made mistakes in the past, but with few exceptions (at least those I'm aware) they have all been technical details. Nothing very many people would care about or even notice.

I doubt you could reproduce even three articles to backup your claim that "WC has been wrong on many things in the past". I think it's far more likely that you just misunderstood what was being said. Overall, I think WCentral has an outstanding track record of fact checking their information before publishing it as fact.

In this case WCentral can't be wrong, as they only said what could happen rather than what will happen. Even if it doesn't happen, it's likely MS at least once intended to release W10M in October. That's all we can really glean from that article anyway. An intent. Either way, I think I'm better off sticking to WCentral's publications rather than our own personal speculations on what is or isn't likely to be released and when.

At least a month. Keep in mind that the new devices have features relying on the new hardware (continuum, windows hello etc.) which could not be tested with the current devices that running the perview builds. That doesn't make things easier / faster.
    There are a million things that make OS development difficult and slow. Considering prototype devices with Qualcomm S810 and S808 SoCs have been circulating for ages, as have the cameras required for facial recognition, I doubt this is a significant stumbling block. There are far more difficult issues to overcome than this.

there is no way the releases will be postponed to next year
    What makes you so sure about that?
    Multiple reasons, of which I'll only mention a few.

• We already have multiple precedents of MS releasing OSes + firmware early. The early release of W10 is one example. Releasing the L830 with a pre-release version of Denim is another.
    • The holiday season is getting close and MS obviously intends to have their devices on the market by then.
    • Multiple websites reporting that MS intends to release W10M in October. There is no way MS will allow the team to push an October deadline into January or February.
    • It's entirely possible for W10M to run poorly and/or with errors on a 535 while doing just fine on a L950/XL. The later is all that's necessary to launch W10M. The rest MS can fix later before distributing it via carriers.
    • etc.
    gpobernardo and TechFreak1 like this.
    09-25-2015 08:48 AM
    All I know is that I want it soon. :)

The battery on my Lumia Icon is so bad right now that it only lasts about 6 hours with normal use. I need to get a new phone soon and I want it to be the 950XL!

I would hope that it will come out no more than 4-5 weeks after officially announced.

Of course, I'm in the US and who knows how it will be sold here, or even if it will be sold at all. :(
    gpobernardo likes this.
    09-28-2015 04:34 PM
    Will win 10 mobile be on preview for developer ? Or the program is dead ?
    09-30-2015 09:25 PM
1,870 1234 ...