03-26-2016 11:15 PM
1,870 ... 2627282930 ...
tools
    MS is simply too busy with the development of the iOS Wordflow keyboard... We are not the first priority :(
    Stop complaining.
    Chintan Gohel and Abhishek99 like this.
    01-21-2016 05:06 AM
    More time the OS spends with Microsoft, better will it become. Unlike android or ios , windows 10 mobile was not made or built using the codes of previous OS version , it was made and developed from scrap that is from the beginning. It was given a new core and all core components were made standalone so as to improve them over the time through updates. It's been only one year since the development of w10m started. So naturally it's gotta take some time.
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    01-21-2016 05:19 AM
    Are you sure about that many people in Europe buy their phones sim free and are not locked to their provider.
    Just for the record, whether a phone is locked or not is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is the specific ROM that was flashed to the device. Many of these ROMS's are branded (display a carrier logo during startup). Those that aren't branded are also known as "country variants".

Obviously MS will be able to give us a date at some point. At the latest when somebody at MS is getting ready to flick to switch to initiate update distribution for a certain model/ROM combination. Before that happens however, MS has a long process to go through, individually for every unique model/ROM combination. That includes country variants, because MS will not release an update for a particular country variant, without the same device having been successfully tested by at least one carrier using the same model and cellular technology. MS simply can't make scheduling related promises on behalf of those other companies doing that testing. That's typically why updates for country variants are never the first to release.

Anyway, this should theoretically all change with W10M, when the number of things that require carrier testing and involvement are drastically reduced (or so we're told).

windows 10 mobile was not made or built using the codes of previous OS version , it was made and developed from scrap that is from the beginning.
    Completely. Not. True.

Some parts are very similar and just slightly updated, some parts (like the kernel) remained almost entirely unchanged, and some parts were brought over from its bigger Windows brother. Finally, yes, some parts were rewritten, although that applies more to the UI and some of the apps than the actual OS.
    01-21-2016 05:32 AM
    I won't mind waiting.. I still like Windows.. Never used android in past..only reason to buy android for me would be to try it out.
    As far as ios is concerned, it is too expensive..to try out!
    Initially on lumia 640 forum, I had predicted a feb release, and my speculation appears to be quite right now.
    01-21-2016 05:48 AM
    I'm guessing somewhere in February L650 will be released after which we will get W10M on WP8 first wave devices, more problems can be fixed in W10M and 650 has more potential to be sold till then.
    01-21-2016 05:48 AM
    Joe is their scapegoat. It's a full organizational fail.
    Ian_Superfly and theefman like this.
    01-21-2016 06:32 AM
    The thing I seem to remember is that microsoft never declared any dates for releasing updates like the cyan or denim update. I doubt they ever wrote that, for instance, Tanzanian lumia 920 users will receive the cyan update on 24th July 2014. Or Indian lumia 520 users will receive denim update on 25th Nov 2014. Or Polish lumia 1020 users will receive the denim update on 20th Dec 2014

They always wrote that "the name" update will start rolling out in the next few months to select regions around the world. This will be a steady rollout expected to start in quarter 1. Never mind that the actual number of devices that receive that update in quarter 1 represents 5% of the global windows phone users.

This is my prediction:

Windows 10 mobile will start rolling out from late February to the first wave of devices for less than a dozen countries which would most likely be US, Finland, China, UK, Germany, Spain, France, India, Thailand, Australia, Italy and Philippines.

From May to September, Majority of worldwide users will receive the new OS for most of the first wave devices. This includes most of Europe, Asia, Africa and South America. Stubborn US carriers might also be releasing at this time

From August to December 2016, a new wave of devices will start receiving the W10M update such as the 20 series like 1020 and 520. Again this will be for a few countries at first followed by the majority of the world months later, going on until early 2017

If by March 2017 your device hasn't officially received the update, then know that either Microsoft or the local cellular company have forgotten that you own a windows phone and by that time there's no chance of getting the update officially.

Am I being pessimistic? Not really, just basing on past experience. 14 months down the line and there are countries and devices that still haven't received the denim update. So I can expect the same to happen again with W10M

And if you don't have the denim update for your phone, then tough luck as there won't be any W10M for you officially
    01-21-2016 07:22 AM
    The thing I seem to remember is that microsoft never declared any dates for releasing updates like the cyan or denim update.
    Yup. That's pretty much it, and the same will be true of this roll out.

This thread is a pretty nice demonstration of mob mentality, where everyone feeds of each other's rage, but where the outrage itself is based on twenty pages of worthless content and fact free filler material.
    Last edited by a5cent; 01-21-2016 at 08:10 AM. Reason: spelling
    Abhishek99 and libra89 like this.
    01-21-2016 07:35 AM
    A little off topic question:
    When an app is released for W10, does it mean it will work in W10M OR the developer has to release a separate version ?
    So long as it's a Universal App then technically it could or should work on W10M, but there may be limits in the design that restrict it's use on mobile so they might choose to hold it from the mobile store.

Or more likely most apps will be the other way round, written for W10M and might get pushed into the store for W10 desktop. The desktop store seriously needs some decent apps and Universal Apps could help there. Most users ignore the store on desktop though, but apps are useful for tablet use, and a lot of mobile apps would be ideal for tablet.

Out of interest, Garmin have recently released their Garmin Connect app as a Universal App which finally brings it to Windows but also while it's aimed primarily at mobile, it means it's also available for desktop, which makes it useful especially on a tablet (e.g. for syncing a Garmin tracking device via Bluetooth).
    01-21-2016 08:05 AM
    Yup. That's pretty much it, and the same will be true of this roll out.

This thread is a pretty nice demonstration of mob mentality, where everyone feeds of each other's rage, but where the outrage itself is based on twenty pages of worthless content and fact free filler material.
    "Mob mentality"?
    A dead WP8.1, no apps, no development and a W10M that still is not fit for use at the same time that MS pump out a tremendous amount of apps for iOS/Android?

Is it really “mob mentality” to voice concern about the situation and that people openly state that they feel betrayer/lied to?
    01-21-2016 08:16 AM
    New to the forum but I have been lurking for quite some time because of the Windows 10 Mobile update (BTW I have a Lumia 1520). Today I was not able to wait anymore so I enrolled in the Windows Insider - Fast Ring. And you know what, the answer is immediately apparent: the OS is not yet ready.

I love the new Windows OS on my 1520: it looks great and there are tonnes of improvement over the 8.1. (I am currently running 10586.63). BUT... I feel there are so many small stuff that needs to be worked/ironed out like: Edge is great, it is really fast but so many times it-does-not-work-well. Another: I have two "Lumia Help+Tips" App (???) which obviously one does not work at all. I do not have icons for Groove Music, News, Weather, etc in the "All apps" menu. I haven't checked all of the stuff but you get that first impression that the OS not there yet.

If you cannot wait for the release, join the Windows Insider and see for yourself. It is getting there but it is not there yet. But yeah, Microsoft is foolish for announcing the Windows 10 release prematurely (Dec. 2015). Now they are upsetting many fans including myself although now I get it: I don't think Windows 10 is ready just yet.
    Greg Wenzler likes this.
    01-21-2016 08:24 AM
    Was so embarrassing that my friends in office were talking about their android manufacturers preparing for marshmallow update this and next month and when they were talking about various application updates. Seems like I was just left in the middle of the ocean , life of pi :(
    01-21-2016 09:18 AM
    "Mob mentality"?
    A dead WP8.1, no apps, no development and a W10M that still is not fit for use at the same time that MS pump out a tremendous amount of apps for iOS/Android?

Is it really “mob mentality” to voice concern about the situation and that people openly state that they feel betrayer/lied to?
    This thread is not about the state of WP8.1. It's not about the app situation, nor is it about MS' policies as they relate to iOS and Android. It is not about any of the things you mentioned.

This thread is specifically about W10M release dates. On that issue specifically, we have almost no information at all. The "most reliable" information we have stems from an anonymous source from within MS who talked to Mary Joe Foley. That's it! There is absolutely no information out there that comes directly from MS, and certainly nothing official, yet many people here imagine the "early 2016" quote is directly attributable to MS. Not true. We have nothing.

What we have instead, are a number of people willing to provide extremely unreliable information or flat out invent it themselves. Then we have even more people who are happy to get into geek-rage mode when MS doesn't deliver by those invented dates. Yes, raging on the internet is fun, but this thread is a somewhat pathetic example of that.

It's certainly a good example of mob mentality. This thread would be quite different if more people validated the information they choose to believe, rather than just followed the heard.
    Harrie-S, libra89 and Mr Hyde like this.
    01-21-2016 09:46 AM
    "Mob mentality"?

Is it really mob mentality to voice concern about the situation and that people openly state that they feel betrayer/lied to?
    Hahahaha! I couldn't help laugh at this pathetic situation wp users are in whether they realise, accept or not :D .
    Greg Wenzler likes this.
    01-21-2016 10:07 AM
    They say it's on late February...
    Who is "They",
    01-21-2016 10:20 AM
    As aggravating as it is waiting for Microsoft to finish the final release of Windows 10 mobile, it would be a huge mistake for them to rush it out too soon, as they have notoriously done many times in the past. They need to get this as right as they can. If that means delays, then it is in the best interests and of Microsoft and most of their customers to wait and also to make us wait.
    01-21-2016 10:48 AM
    Maybe all the minor updates to flagship apps is a good thing.
    01-21-2016 11:13 AM
    Who is "They",
    Bouygeus Telecom
    01-21-2016 11:46 AM
    We Indians have Denim and getting latest updates like another countries...

Some other countries don't have it and some devices in India haven't got it yet I have seen alot of indian posters saying they hadn't denim.
    01-21-2016 02:18 PM
    Nope. Read again. Vodafone might have devices with the release candidate installed, but they don't have the means to distribute it. Every carrier in the world must wait for MS (to provide the update for testing, or flick the switch for distribution), and MS must wait for many carriers (to sign off on the tested update).
    And again, yes, NO carrier in Ireland "has it" yet, just like no other carrier in the world "has it" (for distribution), although many will "have it" on a small number of devices (for testing).

Your argument is seriously flawed!! When I was on Vodafone and my mum on O2 and we both had the L520 I got windows 8.1 first months before she did. Ya Microsoft gave the go ahead but its up to the carriers to push it!
    01-21-2016 02:21 PM

What we have instead, are a number of people willing to provide extremely unreliable information or flat out invent it themselves.

Telling your own story there are you?
    01-21-2016 02:27 PM
    Your argument is seriously flawed!! When I was on Vodafone and my mum on O2 and we both had the L520 I got windows 8.1 first months before she did. Ya Microsoft gave the go ahead but its up to the carriers to push it!

The last sentence is simply wrong, and nothing of what comes before it contradicts anything I've said. I've already explained how that works (how it happens that you and your mom might not get updates at the same time, despite MS being responsible for the technicalities of all phone updates), but you're still misunderstanding something. I just can't tell what.

Anyway, I used to work in the telecom industry. I'm not really putting forth an argument. I'm telling you how it actually works. Not understanding it doesn't automatically make it wrong.
    01-21-2016 02:33 PM
    The last sentence is simply wrong, and nothing of what comes before it contradicts anything I've said. I've already explained how that works (how it happens that you and your mom might not get updates at the same time, despite MS being responsible for the technicalities of all phone updates), but you're still misunderstanding something. I just can't tell what.

Anyway, I used to work in the telecom industry. I'm not really putting forth an argument. I'm telling you how it actually works.

01-21-2016 02:34 PM
    ^ and that is all correct.
    Abhishek99 likes this.
    01-21-2016 02:40 PM
    ^ and that is all correct.

Make up your mind is it the carriers that decide the push or Microsoft seriously getting buried in your own lies!
    01-21-2016 02:42 PM
1,870 ... 2627282930 ...