03-26-2016 11:15 PM
1,870 ... 2930313233 ...
tools
    Fed up of waiting I just opted for Insider preview and the install of W10M is about to get completed. Guys would recommend people here to opt for it as well.
    I did it last month, it was too buggy. Calendar was showing wrong notifications
    01-23-2016 12:57 AM
    Since it was buggy last month, do you think MS should have released the OS last month to users worldwide? Or should we continue waiting until 99% of bugs are gone for 99.9% of users?
    01-23-2016 04:18 AM
    Since it was buggy last month, do you think MS should have released the OS last month to users worldwide? Or should we continue waiting until 99% of bugs are gone for 99.9% of users?
    Continue waiting. I reverted back to 8.1 after 2 days and still using it
    01-23-2016 04:41 AM
    Yes, I am aware of that. However, that only affects the OS. Aren't firmware updates for WP/W10M still pushed out by the OEM? Or does Microsoft also push out firmware on the OEM's behalf? (obviously this doesn't matter for Lumia's as it's the same company).
    You're right about both. There has, at least so far, not been just one approach to this. OEMs could use tools provided by MS to distribute updates themselves, or OEMs could hand their firmware update over to MS who would distribute it on their behalf. Often times, firmware was engineered to work with a specific version of the OS, in which case both would be bundled together in a single update package (typically distributed by MS).

That all updates are distributed by MS has been the traditional approach, and based on the recent tweet by Daniel Rubino, that will become the only approach going forward.
    01-23-2016 05:12 AM
    Well I have just finished setting up the insider preview W10M and my first impressions are really good. I agree it is buggy, UI too has gone for a toss, emailers aren't properly displayed in Outlook. After installing the preview I can understand why Microsoft is taking time to release W10 mobile to masses.

But If they fix all these bugs and improve features I believe this is probably the best OS ever released for mobile. It literally is way better and interesting than Android and iOS combined. Its a shame that apps are the only reason why Windows phone are not doing well. Now looking forward to the final build and some cool new official apps.
    01-23-2016 07:26 AM
    Someones say that when W10M is released, it is optimized for each Lumia models and that is the difference from inside built. Is that true for all OS in general and W10M in particular ?
    01-23-2016 07:39 AM
    Someones say that when W10M is released, it is optimized for each Lumia models and that is the difference from inside built. Is that true for all OS in general and W10M in particular ?
    That could be true, but Microsoft could do it like so:
    #ifdef DEVICE_L635
    OptimizeL635();
    #endif
    #ifdef DEVICE_L950
    OptimizeL950();
    #endif

In this sense, there's only one codebase overall. The firmware is specific, but the OS could do generalization.
    01-23-2016 07:55 AM
    Well I have just finished setting up the insider preview W10M and my first impressions are really good. I agree it is buggy, UI too has gone for a toss, emailers aren't properly displayed in Outlook. After installing the preview I can understand why Microsoft is taking time to release W10 mobile to masses.

But If they fix all these bugs and improve features I believe this is probably the best OS ever released for mobile. It literally is way better and interesting than Android and iOS combined. Its a shame that apps are the only reason why Windows phone are not doing well. Now looking forward to the final build and some cool new official apps.
    loved the ui but i can't work with a buggy calendar. Phone used to crash randomly for no reason. Lock screen had a noticeable lag. Did a hard reset too but no luck. Wp8.1 in comparison never crashed once after i took it out of the box.
    Ms is not dedicating enough resources to w10m, that's why it's getting delayed
    01-23-2016 08:40 AM
    MS most awaited win 10 mobile would come in Feb - http://www.wpxbox.com/windows-10-mob...nned-february/
    Abhishek99 likes this.
    01-23-2016 08:55 AM
    Microsoft now plans to start rolling out Windows 10 Mobile in February
    I'll see it when it happens.... along with other ICON users....
    01-23-2016 09:01 AM
    To get around carrier-related delays (and we all know that even if Microsoft pulled the trigger today, the carriers will diddle dork around doing "compatibility testing" for the next 12 months, hoping their WP customers will give up and switch to iDroid), Microsoft should release a "Windows updater" app. The app would be similar to Windows Insider, with only a single release ring option to trigger updating to the Denim firmware if needed, followed by updating to whatever the current release build is. (IMHO, that should be .63 right now)

If upgrading from WP8.x, W10M first-time setup should strongly encourage not reloading the WP8.x-created backup. People will complain, but realistically, that will be a one-time issue over having to manually reinstall and do whatever setup the handful of apps the user wants vs. a long, drawn-out complaint-fest over issues that wouldn't exist had the WP8.x backup not been loaded.

If the app is run on W10M, the app should remove the user from the Windows Insider program and proceed as above.
    Maybe I am wrong but I don't think win 10 will not need an updater app I think that function will be baked in.
    01-23-2016 09:19 AM
    If Microsoft have delayed 650 due to software bugs then I don't think we will receive Windows 10 before End of Feb.
    01-23-2016 09:20 AM
    If Microsoft have delayed 650 due to software bugs then I don't think we will receive Windows 10 before End of Feb.
    Well they have to flash a million phones witch takes time they only have to send you the bites and bytes.
    01-23-2016 09:26 AM
    Since Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer left Microsoft, the company is not good anymore. Microsoft is not the same like it used to be. I understand why most of the people switch to Apple. MS is going a slow death, because the incapable people. MS is running now by a bunch of amateurs.
    I don't think Balmer did a good job running Microsoft, but it seems like the new guy Satya Nadella has things moving in the right direction. Microsoft's vision of having a single Universal Windows Platform for all Windows 10 devices convinced me of that.
    01-23-2016 10:00 AM
    I think you're go off topic.
    01-23-2016 10:08 AM
    MS most awaited win 10 mobile would come in Feb - http://www.wpxbox.com/windows-10-mob...nned-february/
    I have better articles than this :P
    01-23-2016 10:21 AM
    Dear Windows Phone fans, your days with your favorite WP8 OS are very less. All the great features like clean UI, Working Live Tiles, neat fonts and core of Windows Phone will be gone when new OS W10M will be upon us with its hybrid looks and confusing menus. Only few lucky immortals (unsupported) phone would continue to exists with WP8.
    So instead of worrying when W10M will be released, enjoy your final moments with your favorite WP8
    (I am trying to be Sarcastic here)
    instantk and Abhishek99 like this.
    01-23-2016 10:57 AM
    Dear Windows Phone fans, your days with your favorite WP8 OS are very less. All the great features like clean UI, Working Live Tiles, neat fonts and core of Windows Phone will be gone when new OS W10M will be upon us. Only few lucky immortals (unsupported) phone would continue to exists with WP8.
    So instead of worrying when W10M will be released, enjoy your final moments with your favorite WP8
    Lol...ha ha..
    01-23-2016 10:59 AM
    Dear Windows Phone fans, your days with your favorite WP8 OS are very less. WP8
    (I am trying to be Sarcastic here)
    WP 8 had everything clean and steady probably, coz it had nothing. Absolutely zero in features when 8.1 itself lacks in a lot of them.
    01-23-2016 01:01 PM
    take as long as yu wish to microsoft but do enable the led notification on 730\35
    01-23-2016 01:51 PM
    Since Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer left Microsoft, the company is not good anymore. Microsoft is not the same like it used to be. I understand why most of the people switch to Apple. MS is going a slow death, because the incapable people. MS is running now by a bunch of amateurs.
    So you think that by mere failure of w10m Microsoft will die out. Microsoft didn't become a software giant my manufacturing phones or mobile OS. It's just their side business. Microsoft has plenty of other resources.
    01-23-2016 07:17 PM
    MS strategy is good to release the stable version of Windows 10 mobile till the satisfaction of developer team.

Waiting for stable release is worthy for us.
    KEEP WAITING

Within next year, Microsoft will be a complete package for making apps from/for another platforms.
    01-24-2016 12:09 AM

Within next year, Microsoft will be a complete package for making apps from/for another platforms.
    Within next year android and iOS would have developed leaps and bounds and our own MS apps would be way better than it would be on W10M. Competition is all about timing
    01-24-2016 12:51 AM
    Within next year android and iOS would have developed leaps and bounds and our own MS apps would be way better than it would be on W10M. Competition is all about timing
    True, but the difference is that Android(Google) and iOS(Apple) have no pathway(so far) for bringing the same apps and UI experience to both mobile and desktop like what Microsoft is doing with Windows 10. That's going to be a huge advantage for Windows 10 Phones going forward.
    01-24-2016 08:18 AM
    WP 8 had everything clean and steady probably, coz it had nothing. Absolutely zero in features when 8.1 itself lacks in a lot of them.
    Agree, but, Universal windows experience and apps are mainly here coz MS was too afraid to loose their share in the declining desktop/laptop/surface market, which was speculated long before but MS was too busy to implement any change to its strategy, and that to avoid it, they combined the windows experience and are force upgrading the users to windows 10. It is never a strategy to improve the user experience in mobile or improve its share.
    01-24-2016 08:21 AM
1,870 ... 2930313233 ...