03-26-2016 11:15 PM
1,870 ... 5253545556 ...
tools
    Good news. Through the Insider Program for Windows Phone, I have successfully installed the Windows 10 Preview on my older Nokia 925 phone that I love.

While being apprehensive and scared that I would be sorry and that my phone would become unlovable and no longer my friend, I proceeded with the download after selecting Receive Slow Updates from Windows Insider mobile program. I downloaded the app to my phone, ran it and followed easy prompts.

After this, I went to my phone and after selecting "Settings" I went to "Phone Update". The phone then recognized that updates are available. I left my phone plugged in while it started downloading a firmware update of some kind as I already had Windows 8.1 installed.

Once completed, I had to go through the whole process again to receive Windows 10 Preview.
    The phone in the "About" section of "System" says version "Windows 10 Mobile."

All of my apps were left on my "Start Menu", and most all need updating now through the Windows Phone Store.

In a nutshell, I am really happy with my Nokia 925 with Windows 10 successfully installed, and I am so so glad I took the plunge.

Now it's downloading another update Windows 10 version ending in .122...already...and I joined the "Slow Update" receiver setting in the Windows Insider program....meaning I don't receive updates as fast as others. My contacts are all still there under the "People" tile on Start Menu.
    Bye for now,
    BillyColt
    Last edited by BillyColt; 03-08-2016 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Important Detail
    03-08-2016 09:56 AM
    Hi, how do you go back to windows 8.1?
    I have a 925 that someone updated to W10. It gives a few problems.
    Today I lost all contacts and when I go to "people" it shows a blank screen.
    This was after the last update 10.0.10586.122
    Thanks in advance
    Download the Windows Mobile Recovery Tool on your PC, then plug your Nokia 925 into your computer.
    So sorry, but I cannot post links here on the forum as yet until after my initiation of 10 posts are completed. Oh well.
    Update: Apps updated successfully, but they ask me permission to access certain particulars on my Nokia 925....such as location, internet, blah, blah, blah. Apps require "first use" steps to get them going again. Saved site User Names and Passwords still there but require a gentle nudge for them to be totally automatic again. Phone Pin and Password are still the same, I am currently running on version ending in .122. FWIW....BillyColt
    Last edited by Guytronic; 03-08-2016 at 01:21 PM.
    Guytronic likes this.
    03-08-2016 10:41 AM
    Thanks BillyC, I'll have a go.
    Tony
    03-08-2016 01:09 PM
    You are welcome. As of now, Nokia 925 is downloading third update build 10.0.10586.164.
    FWIW,
    Billy
    03-08-2016 01:48 PM
    Windows 10 Mobile OTA Update: Windows Phone 8.1 Devices To Receive Build 10586.14 This Month

Microsoft is expected to release the stable build 10586.14 of Windows 10 Mobile for Windows Phone 8.1 devices. The much awaited software upgrade is likely to begin this month.
    According to Venture Beatthat cites information that was received by its partners through an email, the Windows 10 Mobile update is expected to release in March 2016. Rumors suggest that the expected Windows Phone 8.1 devices will be receiving Windows 10 Mobile with build number 10586.14.
    A user of the Lumia 520 on the Fast Ring of Windows Insiders has revealed that the OTA update notification of the newest build 10586.14 has an official information that states, An important update is ready to be downloaded along with some features of Windows 10 Mobile. Such a piece of information was not seen earlier, Windows Centralreported.
    The update will be coming first to smartphones that are already running on Windows 10 Mobile such as Lumia 950, Lumia 950 XL, Lumia 550 and Lumia 650. The build number 10586.14 is expected to be a final build of Windows 10. Before installing Windows 10 Mobile update on a Windows Phone 8.1 device, users will be required to install a firmware update.
    Venture Beat has further stated that the Windows 10 Mobile update would be arriving passively to the users. It indicates that users will have to manually check for the arrival of the software upgrade on their devices. Later on, Microsoft will be rolling out the OTA to eligible Windows Phone 8.1 devices. The build 10586.14 is very stable and users of Windows Phone 8.1 devices will not major problems after upgrading to Windows 10 Mobile.
    The arrival of Windows 10 Mobile update seems imminent as multiple sources are indicating its arrival in this month. Vodafone Australiahas confirmed that the testing of the software upgrade has been completed and it waiting for official confirmation to release the update to Lumia 640, 640 XL, 735 and 930. Vodafone Italias forum site has stated that Lumia 535, 635, 830, 930 and 1020 will be receiving Windows 10 Mobile update in this week.
    03-09-2016 04:17 AM
    Since Dec 2015, every month we have hype of W10M official release for 8.1 phones.
    Would this time it be real?
    03-09-2016 06:26 AM
    Since Dec 2015, every month we have hype of W10M official release for 8.1 phones.
    Would this time it be real?
    Unless Microsoft themselves are putting out a statement (official, not from an anonymous twitter account), anybody who knows anything isn't going to take anybody's word for it, and certainly not Venture Beat's.

Nevertheless, somebody will eventually be right, and saying "sometime this month" makes Venture Beat's "prediction" so vague that it has a good chance of being "right", even if it's just by chance.
    Pete and Guytronic like this.
    03-09-2016 07:24 AM
    Yes. Microsoft have their own internal milestones dates and of course these get leaked or are published by different regional offices without an official go-ahead. Mobile networks are also testing, but don't have any real insight of the release dates.

Gabe and the official Microsoft blog/website remains the only accurate source of any information regarding release dates.
    a5cent likes this.
    03-09-2016 07:43 AM
    Installed windows insider on my Lumia 730. Should I proceed with upgrade or wait? Need ur opinion guys.....
    03-09-2016 08:58 AM
    Installed windows insider on my Lumia 730. Should I proceed with upgrade or wait? Need ur opinion guys.....
    Why else would you have installed it? :) Come on, enter Release Ring and start
    Ponsuresh Mano likes this.
    03-09-2016 09:10 AM
    Why else would you have installed it? :) Come on, enter Release Ring and start
    The problems specified by other ppl makes me to think.... Bcoz its my only phone I depend on... ๐Ÿ˜Œ
    03-09-2016 09:33 AM
    Then just use the Windows Device Recovery Tool to reset back to Windows Phone 8.1 if you need to.
    03-09-2016 09:35 AM
    I'm changing my battery on my Lumia 1320. Running it on build .164 . Should I rollback to 8.1 before giving it or just get it changed with windows 10 OS?
    03-09-2016 09:50 AM
    The problems specified by other ppl makes me to think.... Bcoz its my only phone I depend on... ๐Ÿ˜Œ
    Dont do it. Had the worst day of my life installing it
    03-09-2016 10:01 AM
    Dont do it. Had the worst day of my life installing it
    Different people have different experiences. The huge majority of people are able to upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile without any significant issues. Just because you had problems doesn't mean that everyone else will.
    03-09-2016 10:29 AM
    Different people have different experiences. The huge majority of people are able to upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile without any significant issues. Just because you had problems doesn't mean that everyone else will.
    It is his only phone that he depends on. Anyway, he has to hard reset, download all the apps again. Some function, some don't, camera loads and doesn't. And a lot of network and battery issues. So he better wait for official, at least he can still be in warranty if w10m screws up his device.
    Ponsuresh Mano and theefman like this.
    03-09-2016 10:57 AM
    You're right. There were people posting on forums about problems(most caused by user error) with even their release upgrade to Windows 10 Desktop, but the vast majority had zero problems. If you depend on that phone, it would be best to stay away from the Preview and just wait for the release version. It's going to be good.
    03-09-2016 09:04 PM
    Good News. I opted out of the Insider Program. Nokia Lumia 925 in the Settings Menu under "System" "About" states version as "Windows 10 Mobile". Windows phone version10586.164 exactly matches Windows 10 PC version 10586.164. Upon opting out of the Insider ring, the update was then titled as "Windows 10 Threshold", and as a standalone entity, my Windows 10 Nokia 925 says it is up to date. After checking other sources, it appears that Windows 10 version 10586.164 will be the release candidate. Everything so far, is working...mobile banking, music, edge, and the power usage and charging are back to normal. My contacts are there ....everything works as before...Cortana is offering help to me as we speak...wanting me to ask her something...and is showing me a demonstration Tutorial. I still love my Nokia 925...now with Windows 10 finally.
    FWIW,
    BillyColt
    CanadianGuy_eH and owensdj like this.
    03-10-2016 04:39 PM
    Please leave this thread for Release dates if any available
    Well there's the problem - there are no available release dates...
    Guytronic, emjey, teckris and 2 others like this.
    03-10-2016 09:44 PM
    Are there any Italians in the forum? Given the announced time frame, at least some of them must have received the final version.

If not, the project team under Gabe's 'leadership' is in deep sh**. They are even communicating the wrong dates to the network operators.
    03-11-2016 12:56 AM
    If not, the project team under Gabe's 'leadership' is in deep sh**. They are even communicating the wrong dates to the network operators.
    This is incorrect. Microsoft will confidentially disclose projected milestone dates internally and to service providers, but these milestone dates will pass if things aren't ready for roll-out. These dates you've seen are these confidential internal dates that are leaked or mistakenly announced. As always, use Gabe's Twitter and the Microsoft Blog as the only credible source for information. I would cite Windows Central as a source as well, but the editorial team have also in the past offered dates when reporting on unverified stories.
    03-11-2016 02:29 AM
    This is incorrect. Microsoft will confidentially disclose projected milestone dates internally and to service providers, but these milestone dates will pass if things aren't ready for roll-out. These dates you've seen are these confidential internal dates that are leaked or mistakenly announced. As always, use Gabe's Twitter and the Microsoft Blog as the only credible source for information. I would cite Windows Central as a source as well, but the editorial team have also in the past offered dates when reporting on unverified stories.
    MSFTs communication is a disaster! Vodafone Italy hasn't searched the rollout schedule in a crystal ball.
    03-11-2016 03:28 AM
    Again, it's not Microsoft's miscommunication, it's third parties (and some Microsoft regional offices) who are announcing internal dates as though they are real and consequently misleading customers.

This is why I'm repeating that Gabe and the official MS blog are the only credible sources of information.
    03-11-2016 03:51 AM
    MSFTs communication is a disaster! Vodafone Italy hasn't searched the rollout schedule in a crystal ball.
    Vodafone Italia still hasn't news, I noticed people of web + social team are a little more than teenagers >.<
    03-11-2016 03:56 AM
    Windows Mobile release date: "When It's Done" - I hope this joke is not out of date. :P

Guys we see the progress of the insider builds all the time, depends on how things go it is up to 2 more months at my estimations just to polish what we have now. Not that munch, we already waited months far past those original ETA dates, so it doesn't really matter by now.
    03-11-2016 04:39 AM
1,870 ... 5253545556 ...