W10M release dates? Answers inside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Re: 29 Feb they said

If not in the month of February, exactly when will we see Windows 10 Mobile brought over to 8.1 devices?

I'm starting to think that I'm more likely to win the lottery than see this happen. Pessimism aside, there are no real facts support the 2/29 launch in addition to any subsequent launch in the coming weeks / months. It's almost like Insider Builds will be the only path to a Windows 10 upgrade, because Windows is being pushed as a service.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

It wasn't promised by MS Mexico, they got it wrong (you'll see that Facebook announcement was quickly taken down).

This isn't the first time that a regional office has announced something that turned out to be untrue.

Beat me to it! I come on here to help or get help and every damn post is because someone has skimmed an article and only remembered what they want to.

Surely the mods can dump these threads into one? Come on mods, there are those looking for information on other subjects!

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site

Actually, I'm less convinced that it will happen and more convinced that Microsoft will announce the depreciation of devices running Windows Phone 8.1. It's going to be similar to the situation with the Lumia 900 and future upgrades.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site

Beat me to it! I come on here to help or get help and every damn post is because someone has skimmed an article and only remembered what they want to.

Surely the mods can dump these threads into one? Come on mods, there are those looking for information on other subjects!

How many mods do they have? At what point should the mods say these sorts of threads aren't useful because they are further discussion and so long as folks remain civil it should be OK. Honestly, I don't care either way. I just think it's sad that there is no official launch date for Windows 10 Mobile on devices released prior to the 950 / 950 XL. Tomorrow is March 1st. I know this because I checked my calendar. The 950 / 950 XL came out in November. Even Android has seen OEM's update their devices to the latest version of Android (6.0) for 2015 flagships. And that was within the January / February time frame.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

Even Android has seen OEM's update their devices to the latest version of Android (6.0) for 2015 flagships. And that was within the January / February time frame.
Note that most phones, even many released in 2015 (like the Moto E), are not officially getting updated to Android Marshmallow, and there is a very low percentage of phones running the latest (I think less than 2%). The Android updating process is a total mess, so not anything that MS should worry about. Personally, I was perfectly happy running WP8.1, but decided to try W10 on a Lumia 640 to see what all the fuss was about. So far I like W10 and am not seeing major bugs or problems. Try the Insiders Preview build (.107 right now) if you are so anxious to get W10--it is working well and I consider it safe for a daily driver, at least on the 640. It is less buggy than Lollipop, but I haven't tried Marshmallow.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Feb 29th was NOT promised ( mods please condense these threads!! )

Those who keep asking about this need to return to the blog post on these fine boards. MS Mexico offered up this titbit, but had to remove it as it was incorrect or should never have happened!

Those hitting the update button may be disappointed. Some also forget that we live on a rather large round ball, with different time zones. For me, insider builds usually appear between 6pm and 8pm, which in Redmond is between 10 and 12 am. I've seen posts of people moaning because it's the 29th and nothing is showing. Remember, it maybe the 29th where you are, but it isn't everywhere.

I have been trawling the site for a certain issue with my .107, but when searching, most of the posts, if not all, about this, now, mythical date in the calender. Maybe Gabe's Mrs is carrying on with a leap year tradition of popping the question. That's enough to keep you busy! :)

I would be so bold as to suggest that people wait for the news to break on the WC blog / news pages before believing anything, and even they throw in the caveat of 'a pinch of salt'.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
This info was released and then pulled off because they cannot deliver in time, AGAIN, 3RD Time. That's why. But be happy, you will eventually get it, 2017 is not that far :))

And in all honesty, looking at the state of the OS and adding in the lack of any real innovation waiting till 2017 might just be the best option.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Re: Feb 29th was NOT promised ( mods please condense these threads!! )

I am being completely serious here and mean no disrespect, but are you a moderator? Do you speak for a moral majority of the forum members here who have reached the limit of their patience regarding release date speculation?

Let the moderators, who may be short-handed dependent upon the time of day, do the job they volunteered to do in the first place. Becoming the White Knight of the boards does nothing but open up a can of worms for not only yourself but the moderators who may get heat for not being so diligent with thread consolidation. I see many sub-forums and threads here, but not nearly as many mods.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
How many mods do they have? At what point should the mods say these sorts of threads aren't useful because they are further discussion and so long as folks remain civil it should be OK. Honestly, I don't care either way. I just think it's sad that there is no official launch date for Windows 10 Mobile on devices released prior to the 950 / 950 XL. Tomorrow is March 1st. I know this because I checked my calendar. The 950 / 950 XL came out in November. Even Android has seen OEM's update their devices to the latest version of Android (6.0) for 2015 flagships. And that was within the January / February time frame.

No one said they are NOT useful. There are a plethora of the damn things, all asking the same question. Its been like it all morning.

As for Android updates, you may need to check again. Many OEM's dont send updates after the first year. Strangely enough, when they release a new device. Samsung are currently in battle with a group of users who are taking action against them in the courts. I've been a backroom dev on XDA, proving that older devices can run newer OS's, to a certain extent. I had a note 3 running note 4 stock rom with s6 diallers etc. Once you had properly de-bloated, you would be surprises what you could get away with :) OEM's just can't be bothered with those on older stuff. Especially the big boys. OnePlus trod on a few toes when they released a device where you were actively encouraged to log into Cyanogen and download their brilliant vanilla roms.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

The basic issue is that many people do not search before typing, it's an inherent trait of the internet as a whole.

So, if people have the idea that Windows 10 Mobile will be released today, they will simply create a new thread. This is just the same as people who ask "When will Windows 10 Mobile be installed on my device (plz bro)?". Those threads get locked and linked to the main discussion thread as often as they get created.

There's just no stopping stuff like this.

And tomorrow, we'll get just as many threads complaining that Windows 10 Mobile is a day late (srsly bro).

And the best way of alerting the moderators is by using the "report post" button (
report-40b.png
). This sends a message to all moderators without being displayed to users. Moderators don't read every thread on the forum, but they do read every report.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site

So when LG has updated the G4 and G3 to marshmallow, and HTC is following similar suit, I'm inclined to think these respective companies are doing their part to reduce the lag time in receiving genuine updates.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site

And the best way of alerting the moderators is by using the "report post" button (http://forums.windowscentral.com/images/buttons/report-40b.png). This sends a message to all moderators without being displayed to users. Moderators don't read every thread on the forum, but they do read every report.

If this was a question thread, this would be voted best answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99