W10M release dates? Answers inside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes but the carriers must wait for Microsoft to give them the go ahead for the update so like it does depend on if your carrier has the update on their servers like Vodafone India might not have the update whereas Vodafone in Australia has the update and just waiting on Microsoft.
Nope. No carrier in the world stores the update on their own servers. All WP devices receive every update directly from an MS server.

Many people misunderstand what "having control" over updates means. That control is provided through legal (not technical) means.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Nope. No carrier in the world stores the update on their own servers. All WP devices receive every update directly from an MS server.

Many people misunderstand what "having control" over updates means. That control is provided through legal (not technical) means.

If this was true then Vodafone Australia would push the update through to peoples devices as they have it, they must wait for Microsoft and also NO carriers in Ireland have it yet so yes it is carrier dependant if that also was the case Lumia Denim and windows 8.1 update 2 would have been on ALL devices as far as I know India don't even have Denim whereas I have both firmware and OS on mine over a year now.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
If this was true then Vodafone Australia would push the update through to peoples devices as they have it, they must wait for Microsoft and also NO carriers in Ireland have it yet so yes it is carrier dependant if that also was the case Lumia Denim and windows 8.1 update 2 would have been on ALL devices as far as I know India don't even have Denim whereas I have both firmware and OS on mine over a year now.

Nope. Read again. Vodafone might have devices with the release candidate installed, but they don't have the means to distribute it. Every carrier in the world must wait for MS (to provide the update for testing, or flick the switch for distribution), and MS must wait for many carriers (to sign off on the tested update).
And again, yes, NO carrier in Ireland "has it" yet, just like no other carrier in the world "has it" (for distribution), although many will "have it" on a small number of devices (for testing).

arthurhkt

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I just grew tired of waiting for the official update, I just updated to Windows 10 through Insider slow(to get the more stable update) and after updated I had leave the program, so will wait for the February "Final" stable update.

GeorgeX

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
So yesterday we had some articles posted, with info not even coming from Microsoft, that the update will come end of February, and everybody goes crazy that Microsoft delays the upgrade again... But Microsoft only said "early 2016", doesn't this include February?
People are behaving like kids when you tell them you are going to get them a new toy :)

And all looks like rollout will begin anyday now...

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
As I've said from the very beginning, and occasionally repeated throughout the thread:

MS CAN'T GIVE YOU ANY DATES.

It's the carriers that decide when to test, how much to test, and when they feel comfortable signing off on the update. MS doesn't have a crystal ball that would tell them when the carriers will have done their thing, nor can MS force the carriers into any specific timeframe.

Like I said, it's the carriers that decide, and low and behold... it's the carriers that are, each individually, providing the dates for their networks...

Are you sure about that many people in Europe buy their phones sim free and are not locked to their provider.

jansherp

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
WINDOWS 10 MOBILE UPDATE OLDER PHONES LIKELY PUSHED BACK UNTIL END FEBRUARY

Great job Microsoft . As if you are the market leaders or the a huge chunk of market share, that you aren't bothered to lose a few percent of your users and followers. Feels like Windows is takes all of us as a fool, and have a good laugh will see how the followers are desperately waiting for the newer version.

What you need to understand is there is something known as customer service or business ethics. At least give the followers an official update whether you are planning to give it or it's just another scam, and on top of all if you give a date, stand by your commitment. You guys have already launched the insider program, and had access and feedback from an million users on daily basic, what was so differnet in that, that it couldn't be used by the mass consumer, or whatever issue you saw just days before original update date, why didn't you identify this problem earlier. This just an assumption and i'm pretty sure of it, you have already lost a huge clunk of your users to android or iOS just because of this never ending delay.

I am boycotting from Windows 10 mobile, if there is any in the future. and i would switch to android at the first opportunity available to me.

P.S, Pakistan is one of the biggest mobile market after India and China. And a lot of windows users have switched to other os getting tired from the wait.

saurabh7890

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
I want to know if I install windows insider and get the latest build.63 and when Microsoft officially rolls out wm10 (suppose build.36) afterwards then whether I have to roll back to 8.1 to get the update ?

Jonathan Servranckx

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
WINDOWS 10 MOBILE UPDATE OLDER PHONES LIKELY PUSHED BACK UNTIL END FEBRUARY

Great job Microsoft . As if you are the market leaders or the a huge chunk of market share, that you aren't bothered to lose a few percent of your users and followers. Feels like Windows is takes all of us as a fool, and have a good laugh will see how the followers are desperately waiting for the newer version.

What you need to understand is there is something known as customer service or business ethics. At least give the followers an official update whether you are planning to give it or it's just another scam, and on top of all if you give a date, stand by your commitment. You guys have already launched the insider program, and had access and feedback from an million users on daily basic, what was so differnet in that, that it couldn't be used by the mass consumer, or whatever issue you saw just days before original update date, why didn't you identify this problem earlier. This just an assumption and i'm pretty sure of it, you have already lost a huge clunk of your users to android or iOS just because of this never ending delay.

I am boycotting from Windows 10 mobile, if there is any in the future. and i would switch to android at the first opportunity available to me.

P.S, Pakistan is one of the biggest mobile market after India and China. And a lot of windows users have switched to other os getting tired from the wait.

Disclaimer: I don't say they were right to delay the update

What you need to answer is that, that they are a leader or not, they might not delay the update because they want it but just because they have to. My point is I'd rather have a later update fully operational than an earlier update that needs tweaking and won't work at 100%. You saw what W10 on the 950 and 950XL gave, it is buggy as hell, I don't recall seeing a lot of tweet praising the stability of the os. the question is: do you really want the same experience on a lower end smartphone?

That is just my point of view and again I'm not saying this was the right thing to do, I'm just trying to "understand" why they did it.

grantpwarren

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I want to know if I install windows insider and get the latest build.63 and when Microsoft officially rolls out wm10 (suppose build.36) afterwards then whether I have to roll back to 8.1 to get the update ?

If you read the articles or did a simple search, you would have found out that you can leave the insider program through the app and receive official production updates from then on without reverting.

albert730

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
More time the OS spends with Microsoft, better will it become. Unlike android or ios , windows 10 mobile was not made or built using the codes of previous OS version , it was made and developed from scrap that is from the beginning. It was given a new core and all core components were made standalone so as to improve them over the time through updates. It's been only one year since the development of w10m started. So naturally it's gotta take some time.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure about that many people in Europe buy their phones sim free and are not locked to their provider.

Just for the record, whether a phone is locked or not is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is the specific ROM that was flashed to the device. Many of these ROMS's are branded (display a carrier logo during startup). Those that aren't branded are also known as "country variants".

Obviously MS will be able to give us a date at some point. At the latest when somebody at MS is getting ready to flick to switch to initiate update distribution for a certain model/ROM combination. Before that happens however, MS has a long process to go through, individually for every unique model/ROM combination. That includes country variants, because MS will not release an update for a particular country variant, without the same device having been successfully tested by at least one carrier using the same model and cellular technology. MS simply can't make scheduling related promises on behalf of those other companies doing that testing. That's typically why updates for country variants are never the first to release.

Anyway, this should theoretically all change with W10M, when the number of things that require carrier testing and involvement are drastically reduced (or so we're told).

windows 10 mobile was not made or built using the codes of previous OS version , it was made and developed from scrap that is from the beginning.

Completely. Not. True.

Some parts are very similar and just slightly updated, some parts (like the kernel) remained almost entirely unchanged, and some parts were brought over from its bigger Windows brother. Finally, yes, some parts were rewritten, although that applies more to the UI and some of the apps than the actual OS.

instantk

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I won't mind waiting.. I still like Windows.. Never used android in past..only reason to buy android for me would be to try it out.
As far as ios is concerned, it is too expensive..to try out!
Initially on lumia 640 forum, I had predicted a feb release, and my speculation appears to be quite right now.

justonlumia

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm guessing somewhere in February L650 will be released after which we will get W10M on WP8 first wave devices, more problems can be fixed in W10M and 650 has more potential to be sold till then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb