W10M release dates? Answers inside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Make up your mind is it the carriers that decide the push or Microsoft seriously getting buried in your own lies!

A carrier testing and signing off on an update, doesn't mean they "push it" themselves. That does give MS the right to push it though.

Apparently that is what you don't understand?

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Just because you work for a mobile company don't think you know how they operate!! Unless u are on the board on the top table u will be told what they want u to hear!!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Just because you work for a mobile company don't think you know how they operate!! Unless u are on the board on the top table u will be told what they want u to hear!!

Yeah, fine, apparently you know more about my position at that company than I do. As I remember it, I didn't have to be told how it works. I certainly had a better understanding of the process than anyone on the board. I had a technical leadership role and was perfectly capable of watching the process play out myself. But this thread isn't about me.

Look, you can do with this information what you will. Obviously OTA updates are distributed via carriers networks, and carriers often demand to be in charge of the devices they sell and support, but it's MS that pushes the update to carrier's customers. If you think there is a contradiction there, then I can't help you. Maybe someone else can.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, fine, apparently you know more about my position at that company than I do. Lets just say I didn't have to be told how it works. I had a technical leadership role and was perfectly capable of watching the process play out myself. But this thread isn't about me.

Look, you can do with it what you will. Obviously OTA updates are distributed via carriers networks, and carriers often demand to be in charge of the devices they sell and support, but it's MS that pushes the update to carrier's customers. If you think there is a contradiction there, then I can't help you. Maybe someone else can.

Don't need anyone to explain anything to me its up to the carriers to push it through to their phones / customers if this be the case carrier unlocked phones would be getting WP10!!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ Wrong again, but I've already explained that here too. Anyway, I can see this is pointless, so I'll leave the last word to you. I'm out.

indospot

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
It's not ony up to the carriers or MS. What he's trying to say is that carriers merely test the software and tell Microsoft they're ready to get the update. Then Microsoft chooses to push it whenever they want. But only once the carrier has approved it.

Sent from mTalk

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Because i am right that's why!!

No you aren't. The carriers merely test and sign off the updates for the manufacturers. When an update is approved by the carrier, it is then up to the manufacturer of the handset to push the updates out via their own servers.

If an update fails carrier testing, they will notify the manufacturer with the reason for the failure. The manufacturer will then provide them with an updated software build for re-testing.

If a carrier can't be bothered with a handset anymore, it will simply refuse to test the software, which results in the manufacturer being unable to push the update out to their customers.

Can you imagine the mess if the carriers were soley responsible for pushing out updates to handsets from every manufacturer?

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
No you aren't. The carriers merely test and sign off the updates for the manufacturers. When an update is approved by the carrier, it is then up to the manufacturer of the handset to push the updates out via their own servers.

If an update fails carrier testing, they will notify the manufacturer with the reason for the failure. The manufacturer will then provide them with an updated software build for re-testing.

If a carrier can't be bothered with a handset anymore, it will simply refuse to test the software, which results in the manufacturer being unable to push the update out to their customers.

Can you imagine the mess if the carriers were soley responsible for pushing out updates to handsets from every manufacturer?

Whatever sheep the carrier at the end of the day are the ones who decide whether we get the update or not. They are not going to push an OS to their customers if that is an unfinished or a buggy OS which will force people to leave the network as their"phones" aren't working and the network will be in disrepute!!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
When an update is approved by the carrier, it is then up to the manufacturer of the handset to push the updates out via their own servers.

This is how it works for Android. This is a necessity in the Android space, because OEMs typically build their own unique version of Android for each of their devices. That's not true of WP/WM, where OEM's just get the immutable binaries, add some configuration files and throw in the firmware. This difference is what allows MS to push updates directly themselves. There was a time when MS allowed OEMs to push updates themselves, but as AFAIK that is over. At the latest with W10M MS will be pushing all updates for all OEMs directly.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Just leave this one here!

Yeah, that's really poorly worded, and also not universally true. It is true in the U.S. however, as U.S. carriers are responsible for updates, in the sense that they are the ones who are obligated to provide support if the update messes stuff up. However, the carriers aren't responsible for implementing the technical process of update distribution, a.k.a. "pushing the update".

Anyway, I could provide you with a lot more sources, but here's the most recent quote from a source that is somewhat closer to home:

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, that's really poorly worded, and also not universally true. It is true in the U.S. however, as U.S. carriers are responsible for updates, in the sense that they are the ones who are obligated to provide support if the update messes stuff up. However, the carriers aren't responsible for implementing the technical process of update distribution, a.k.a. "pushing the update".

Anyway, I could provide you with a lot more sources, but here's the most recent quote from a source that is somewhat closer to home:

Your just making yourself look silly. Look I know what im talking about and its not just me who thinks carriers are the ones to push it on to their customers so like just stop talking to me!!

Jesse Venables

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
The sim has nothing to do with the ROM's on the phone. The ROM's on the phone will be the way the carrier determines if a phone they sold or not can get an upgrade.
Shame, I wish it were as simple as removing a Sim djeire84 but it's not, the phone will have to be flashed.

What is the over / under on pages this thread will reach before anyone reports that the update has been pushed to them legitimately? I'm saying 50... and we are at page 37 now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon