Poorly thought out phone dialer

ksj1

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Surely these should be integrated into one cohesive hub from where you can look up a contact and text or call that person.

I guess I'm not sure what you completely want, but you can look up a contact and text or dial that person from the People app. And you can look them up failrly quickly by tapping any of the letters in the People app, then chosing the first letter of the contact name. Just tap the person and the options to text, call, call using Skype & Skype video. You don't get dial history in the People app though.

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I think the dialer, people and lock screen are great examples of change for the sake of change that are a step backwards. The lock screen changes are minimal but the other two have just become rubbish.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I think the dialer, people and lock screen are great examples of change for the sake of change that are a step backwards. The lock screen changes are minimal but the other two have just become rubbish.

Change for the sake of change is basically every poor design decision in W10M. You can make a drinking game out of it.

"Let's make the headers all uppercase and in bold! Totally different!"

"Let's make the fonts thinner and harder to see! Good idea!"

"Let's make the profile contact pictures round because people aren't squares! Google+!"

"Let's rearrange the UI and put buttons at the top of the screen. Android does it!"

"Let's add that double tap feature that iOS has to bring the screen down so people can reach the buttons we put at the top of the screen!"

"Let's make the toggles round instead of square, like Android!"

"Let's make the send button a paper airplane! Yeah, Android!

"Let's make the settings screen a boring list with icons, like in Android 4.0!"

"Let's make the icons wireframe! Why? No reason but iOS does it!

"Let's take out all the signature WP animations and just use a cheesy zoom effect! People will think it's faster! Android style!"

"Let's make the phone icon lean at a 45 degree angle! No reason but it looks like Android and iOS!

"Let's make the task switcher apps go from left to right! Yep, iOS!"

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
How is the dialer worse? There's finally smart dialing. And you can edit the number without having to rewrite it.

Also, the dialer screen isn't hidden in a tiny button on the bottom of the screen, it finally has its own section.

Finally there's still pivots.

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
How is the dialer worse? There's finally smart dialing. And you can edit the number without having to rewrite it.

Text is far to small (which isn't limited to just this screen), not providing a grid so that the keypad provides as button looks ugly, the '=' button to hide the keypad is absurd, the layout is inconsistent (Windows 10 speciality); they could have simply used text headings like People rather than the ugly banner. It's not true "smart dialling" which is largely redundant given the people hub & how often do you mistype a number badly enough you need to edit it which would have to be slower than just backspacing and re-entering the number

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Text is far to small (which isn't limited to just this screen), not providing a grid so that the keypad provides as button looks ugly, the '=' button to hide the keypad is absurd, the layout is inconsistent (Windows 10 speciality); they could have simply used text headings like People rather than the ugly banner. It's not true "smart dialling" which is largely redundant given the people hub & how often do you mistype a number badly enough you need to edit it which would have to be slower than just backspacing and re-entering the number
I only agree with the part where you said the layout is inconsistent. Everything else your said seemed like your own opinions or not liking windows 10s new design because you are so used to the metro look of some of the windows phone apps.

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
seemed like your own opinions

Funny thing (in a sad way) is that those dancing around saying "oh this is so great it's the best thing ever" also just their opinion and in no way conclusive, yet they're completely oblivious. For some reason any member of the current phone community speaking out is met with "oh what are you talking about, that isn't right." Many people went with Windows Phone due to it's unique look and UX, that it wasn't just an iPhone clone, MS have pretty much sold out on that front now.

Specifically to this post you asked ME for MY opinion on what I thought was wrong with the dialler, I gave a direct answer which you just threw aside. Pretty childish really.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Funny thing (in a sad way) is that those dancing around saying "oh this is so great it's the best thing ever" also just their opinion and in no way conclusive, yet they're completely oblivious. For some reason any member of the current phone community speaking out is met with "oh what are you talking about, that isn't right." Many people went with Windows Phone due to it's unique look and UX, that it wasn't just an iPhone clone, MS have pretty much sold out on that front now.

Specifically to this post you asked ME for MY opinion on what I thought was wrong with the dialler, I gave a direct answer which you just threw aside. Pretty childish really.

"You're just a hater".

Always fun to try to have a conversation with people that can't elaborate on their opinions.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

Its so funny the haters ALWAYS posting about how the people that like w10m are annoying or this is wrong, that is wrong.....Its still a developer preview. Pretty childish really!

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
It's funny how bent out of shape people get when someone doesn't agree with their opinion (on both sides). I don't agree with the OP. The new dialler seems good to me but I accept it's not for you. Doesn't make you wrong, I just don't agree... As for your comment about "dancing around"...well it's a little snide and from my observation it cuts both ways. There seems to be people who are happy with W10 and others who are less so and all points in between. EXACTLY as you would expect. A lot of fuss could be avoided if people were a little more accepting of opinions and propositions and likewise didn't push their view as universal fact.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
It's funny how bent out of shape people get when someone doesn't agree with their opinion (on both sides). I don't agree with the OP. The new dialler seems good to me but I accept it's not for you. Doesn't make you wrong, I just don't agree... As for your comment about "dancing around"...well it's a little snide and from my observation it cuts both ways. There seems to be people who are happy with W10 and others who are less so and all points in between. EXACTLY as you would expect. A lot of fuss could be avoided if people were a little more accepting of opinions and propositions and likewise didn't push their view as universal fact.

Exactly. I get "bent out of shape" when people spew crap like "I don't like this so Microsoft is dead and going to fail". that's is the funniest thing I have heard. I call them out all the time on that stuff. Microsoft and windows mobile will be just fine. Don't like the door hit you on the way out I say!

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
As always, if MSFT phone is dead, why still here?? Just because it doesn't do what YOU want, or YOU don't like something doesn't make the shouting and negativity any more relevant. IMHO, and it isn't worth much, MSFT appear to moving away from direct competition with other mobile OS's as the 'fashion' market is flooded. I see the 950 and W10M as being aimed at the corporate sector. The wording in the event when the 950 was unveiled hinted at this with the be productive like your boss statements.

People then go on to bemoan that W10 will be a continually evolving OS. Where is the problem with that?? Google do it, well they have to because of the issues still present after years of trying to get it right. They still mess up. Remember the sudden blocking of apps to SD card in 4.4.3??? The continuing issue of memory bleed.....

Yes, the dialer isn't the prettiest thing. It doesn't have all the pretty pictures, or that stupid Android silhouette! It works, and being minimalistic, it looks professional and erm.....business like.

Windows mobile isn't dead, it is being developed for a different demographic.

For those who don't like it, its probably not being aimed at you or the Fashionistas who have to upgrade every six months because they just have to have the latest device to retain bragging rights over their mates, who are equally shallow. Droid and iOS are OS's where people do not buy a device for the OS, but for the ability to buy yet another rehashed device because they are told that it is better. Then after 12 months most OEM's drop support for droid upgrades.

Been there, seen it. Don't like WM then exercise your right to go elsewhere.

I'm quite happy with my 640 xl's and love my 1320. I also like being an oddball, and different. I don't follow the herd. My biggest downfall in life is that I question everything and possess a very effective BS alarm. I never argue with idiots, because I know I would lose on lack of experience!

You've got to laugh. OP by no-no-applesux. Only droid left then.... you think W10M has issues......

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
So back on topic..

Here's another example of what seems to be bad design (but maybe user error again?): I got a voicemail, which I see on the phone tile. I tap the tile, and get to the dial pad. At that point there is NO indication of the voicemail being there, and no indication of what to push. I have to go to 'history' or 'speed dial' to reveal the menu bar that holds the voicemail notification. That's just needlessly disorienting.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Mine appears at bottom of dialer. The regular tape wheels. Always indicates how many voicemails I have. ( Yay, stayed on topic!!!! )

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Mine appears at bottom of dialer. The regular tape wheels. Always indicates how many voicemails I have. ( Yay, stayed on topic!!!! )
When you select the dialer, do you see the bottom menu bar with voicemail / phone book / search ? For me that bar only shows in the 'History' and 'Speed dial' pivots, but not in the dialer pivot. In the dialer it gets replaced by a thicker 'call' bar.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers