How do I stop Cortana from reading text's aloud? She ask's me if i want her to read a text which is fine in the office but in the car it shuts off my music and it don't start playing again like it did before and i have to manually start the music playing which is a pain on a motorcycle.

Running windows 10 mobile on a 1520
    08-25-2015 04:00 PM
    Hamburger menu - upper left corner on Cortana's screen. Choose "Notebook", then "Settings". Scroll down to where you can change "Read incoming text messages" to - Off, Always On, Bluetooth and Wired Headsets, or Bluetooth Only
    08-25-2015 04:06 PM
    Before turning it off, you might want to try checking your Bluetooth settings... If you go to Settings > Bluetooth, there is a button for advanced options which shows a check box to connect in a different manner... This sometimes fixes issues with the readback of texts.

If that doesn't work and you want to turn it off... Settings > speech, then under "read aloud incoming text messages" you can change it to off, headsets, Bluetooth, etc.
    GazooAz likes this.
    08-25-2015 04:08 PM

If that doesn't work and you want to turn it off... Settings > speech, then under "read aloud incoming text messages" you can change it to off, headsets, Bluetooth, etc.
    Just for clarity,

I believe he was asking these questions about Windows 10 mobile. The "Settings>speech" settings you're referring to are in WP8.1.

On Windows 10 mobile, the "read aloud incoming text messages" settings can only be reached through the method I posted above. (Cortana's hamburger menu)
    sinime likes this.
    08-25-2015 08:53 PM
    Hamburger menu - upper left corner on Cortana's screen. Choose "Notebook", then "Settings". Scroll down to where you can change "Read incoming text messages" to - Off, Always On, Bluetooth and Wired Headsets, or Bluetooth Only
    This has been driving me insane. Glad you could help me find that setting!
    Ed Boland and GazooAz like this.
    08-27-2015 09:13 AM
    Thanks for this, it was driving me crazy not being able to find it after upgrading to 10. I never thought to look in Cortana's settings since it wasn't there before in 8.1.
    Ed Boland likes this.
    11-09-2015 04:37 PM
    Thanks for this, it was driving me crazy not being able to find it after upgrading to 10. I never thought to look in Cortana's settings since it wasn't there before in 8.1.
    You're welcome!

Gotta love it when they move things around and hide stuff from users...
    11-09-2015 05:33 PM
    Thank you fort this thread. It was driving me nuts and I could not find the damn setting since they moved it for no reason at all. :)

Bluetooth connections are handled worse and worse with each new version of Windows.
    Ed Boland likes this.
    11-17-2015 04:28 PM
    It used to be "MS-DOS isn't done until Lotus doesn't run"

Now it's "Windows isn't finished until all the things work different."
    Ed Boland likes this.
    11-17-2015 08:43 PM