02-02-2016 01:15 AM
53 123
tools
    I can go Settings> Device>NFC on the latest Win 10 Mobile build, but under default payment card it says "None" and there is no way to add one, despite the fact that I have a credit and an ATM card linked to my Microsoft Account.
    09-15-2015 04:58 PM
    @Thurrott is killing MS on Twitter about this...pitiful that w10 can't even catch up, forget passing Android or iOS...
    MikeSo and DavidinCT like this.
    09-15-2015 07:12 PM
    @Thurrott is killing MS on Twitter about this.....
    Thurrott is pretty much given up on Windows phone. Most time he talks about Windows phone today is lamenting the potential that was Windows phone but never achieved.
    09-15-2015 07:29 PM
    He is right. Perpetually playing catch up, but never actually catching up, great business model 😂.
    09-15-2015 07:52 PM
    Thurrott is pretty much given up on Windows phone. Most time he talks about Windows phone today is lamenting the potential that was Windows phone but never achieved.
    I'm pretty much with him. Though I'll buy the 950XL anyway. :)
    09-15-2015 08:44 PM
    I would not be surprised with the push to the Chip & signature cards that NFC will start to disappear even though it was just gaining steam. They are trying to make cards more secure, which in theory would disable NFC, also any Chip/Signature readers I have seen do not have the NFC on them (not saying it does not exist, just not seen any).
    09-16-2015 01:06 PM
    I would not be surprised with the push to the Chip & signature cards that NFC will start to disappear even though it was just gaining steam. They are trying to make cards more secure, which in theory would disable NFC, also any Chip/Signature readers I have seen do not have the NFC on them (not saying it does not exist, just not seen any).
    Chip+ signature is the dumbest thing ever. It should be Chip+PIN like everywhere else in the world. American cards that require signatures will STILL not work in many places in Europe thanks to this.

I don't think this is related to mobile payments at all though.
    09-16-2015 01:19 PM
    you guys are all crazy, why would the option even be there for tap to pay if they were not planning on implementing it into the OS ? What is the use of making a resource string, the ui for it, the card selector if they were not going to implement the feature? Of course it will have mobile payments I am sure it requires some service to be active on microsoft's side and that is why it is not available to us.

As for the guy saying that tap to pay is working for him, i have used tap to pay on my windows phones for a long time, however they just updated the wallet app not to long ago and when they did that they dropped support for tap to pay, when you go to use it now, it fails. You can try it if you want to check for yourself :)
    09-16-2015 10:34 PM
    Microsoft is working on it..
    That should become Microsoft's new slogan.... As a Windows Phone user from the first one I could get...No question I have heard that TONS of times...and even today 5-7 years later, I am STILL HEARING IT...

Microsoft "We're working on it" (fits perfect, huh ?)
    MikeSo likes this.
    09-18-2015 01:53 PM
    That should become Microsoft's new slogan.... As a Windows Phone user from the first one I could get...No question I have heard that TONS of times...and even today 5-7 years later, I am STILL HEARING IT...

Microsoft "We're working on it" (fits perfect, huh ?)
    Haven't you heard? Microsoft is currently in the courts setting up a name change. In the future the company will be called, ComingSoonTM
    tgp, libra89, DavidinCT and 4 others like this.
    09-18-2015 02:01 PM
    Haven't you heard? Microsoft is currently in the courts setting up a name change. In the future the company will be called, ComingSoonTM
    If we were strictly talking about something like HoloLens, this would be fine!
    09-18-2015 02:04 PM
    It's already in there...

Tap to pay.. It works...

End of story!!!
    Really? Where and what store?
    09-23-2015 01:14 PM
    If this isn't included, why would an iOS or Android user "upgrade" to a phone with fewer features...MS still not leading, just staying behind
    09-23-2015 01:19 PM
    Really? Where and what store?
    Considering he/she hasn't responded, I'm guessing it doesn't actually work.
    09-28-2015 04:28 PM
    If this doesn't happen in the US, watch 2.7 get smaller and smaller. No one would switch from Android or iOS for a phone with less features plus no good apps.
    09-29-2015 01:05 AM
    I remember a few months ago a few articles mentioning how Microsoft was going to bring NFC payments with Windows 10. But not heard about this for a long time. With Apple pay out and Android pay coming very soon. Would love to know if we can expect to have this.
    Of all the features out there this is the last one I would take.
    09-29-2015 08:10 PM
    That's because you haven't used it.

Tap to pay, or maybe some other type of payment with mobile, is where the retail industry is headed in my opinion. A year ago Apple took something that Google had for a long time already and made it very user friendly. Seriously, there is no more convenient way to pay than Apple Pay, bar none! Samsung is taking tap to pay a step further with Samsung Pay, making it usable almost everywhere a credit card is swiped.

Hopefully Microsoft will surprise us on October 6. I would think though that we would have caught wind of something if it was going to be announced.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-29-2015 08:59 PM
    Don't worry. Doesn't look like MS will even give us the option. But this is why W10 mobile will fail to bring new customers. Limited features and pitiful app selection. Why would someone leave an iPhone for that
    09-30-2015 03:08 AM
    We, in the rest of the world, have chip cards. I haven't found a single vendor that does not have a reader. Can you say the same thing about your phone?
    09-30-2015 10:16 AM
    At this time best is go to a MS Store pick up several expensive items and at cashier pull out your 950XL and tap while telling cashier here you got paid now give me my receipt.
    Laura Knotek and Manmikey like this.
    01-31-2016 12:23 AM
    At this time best is go to a MS Store pick up several expensive items and at cashier pull out your 950XL and tap while telling cashier here you got paid now give me my receipt.
    ^Good one :)

You could tell them their payment is "coming soon"
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-31-2016 02:41 AM
    It should work like this:

Yeah, they are already doing a marketing blitz with this one. Comment from one of the guys in the clip, "Like Apple Pay? We don't support that". So they are dissing on Apple for requiring a special terminal or something, while the Samsung (not Android or Google, mind you) Pay just works. If this is how it ended up working with W10M then great, but I don't think we'll see it for a few more years.
    01-31-2016 09:08 AM
    I don't know what makes Samsung Pay different from Android Pay, but that's how Android Pay works on my Moto X. As long as the phone is unlocked I don't have to do anything at all besides put it on the terminal. Works great (except today at Office Max, but I think that was their fault - haven't had any issues elsewhere). The old WP app based solution was terribly inconvenient in comparison.

I assume that when/if a new, premium Microsoft phone comes out, this will be included. The market is maturing fast right now (though when I use my Moto X to pay, I still get questions and comments from cashiers who haven't seen it used before), and I think in 6 months it will be something that a new phone can't be without.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-31-2016 09:02 PM
    I don't know what makes Samsung Pay different from Android Pay

Samsung Pay has magnetic secure transmission support (acquired from LoopPay). Basically, even if a reader doesn't support NFC, you hold it up to the magnetic stripe reader, and it pulses the signal so that it recognizes it as if you had swiped your card.
    Laura Knotek and MikeSo like this.
    01-31-2016 09:08 PM
    I don't know what makes Samsung Pay different from Android Pay, but that's how Android Pay works on my Moto X.
    I think what you missed from the ad is that the terminal does not have NFC. It is just a regular credit card terminal. As jhoff80 pointed out, Samsung Pay uses MST (Magnetic Secure Transmission) to emulate a credit card. It creates a magnetic field with the information, and basically the terminal "thinks" you swiped a credit card. My wife has an S6 Edge, and we use it quite a bit, since a lot of places do not yet have NFC terminals.
    MikeSo likes this.
    01-31-2016 09:29 PM
53 123