02-02-2016 01:15 AM
53 123
tools
    I think what you missed from the ad is that the terminal does not have NFC. It is just a regular credit card terminal. As jhoff80 pointed out, Samsung Pay uses MST (Magnetic Secure Transmission) to emulate a credit card. It creates a magnetic field with the information, and basically the terminal "thinks" you swiped a credit card. My wife has an S6 Edge, and we use it quite a bit, since a lot of places do not yet have NFC terminals.
    I did indeed miss that, since the terminal to me looked just like the terminals at Subway (which have Android Pay). Thanks for explaining the difference. That sounds like a neat idea - does it work as good in real life as it does in the ad? Samsung has been known to fudge the truth quite a bit in their ads (remember the "touch phones and transfer videos" ads...).
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-31-2016 11:02 PM
    does it work as good in real life as it does in the ad?
    Yes it does actually work pretty much like the ad. I have found however that it can be difficult to find exactly where to place the phone. Sometimes you can see the contacts inside the swiping groove, but sometimes you cannot. I usually just kinda swipe the phone down the groove similar to how you would swipe a credit card. But it goes right through just like in the ad.
    Laura Knotek and MikeSo like this.
    01-31-2016 11:31 PM
    Microsoft dropped the ball on this too. Major banks just announced they'll be updating their ATMs to support Apple Pay and Android Pay. There's no Microsoft Pay to support nor are there even banking apps in the Windows store for these banks anyway. I'm gonna keep my Lumia 1020, but I'm tired of begging to Gabe Aul, Joe "I<3MyiPhone" Bellifore, and companies' twitter pages begging for app support. I was a Day One guy with my HTC Surround.... 6 years of slow movement and unkept promises is enough. I'll be getting a S7 for my daily driver. smh
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-02-2016 01:15 AM
53 123