W10M update requires 8 GB storage?

saadyy

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
just read a post that for windows 10 upgrade, devices should have minimum 8GB space or they are out of luck..
i mean i just 2 week before bought lumia 640xl 8GB only for windows 10 and now they give us this news ?? i means plz someone tell me that not true :(

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
So wait, you got a Lumia 640 XL, which has 8GB of memory, which is the minimum, and your worried that your device, which has the minimum requirements, won't get Windows 10?

You have nothing to worry about, some of the older phones, do, though.

saadyy

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Wofff... yeah just freaked out man.. i thought i was doomed 😇 thanks...
Always appreciated..

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Have a search on here buddy. There is a large thread on here.

There has been some confusion about this, including panic about ram!! From what I understand, the requirement is 4gb phone storage. There is a list on Microsoft showing the compatible phones. I have a 640, 640xl and a lowly 435. All are shown as compatible.

Many of us are running the preview anyway, so who knows! As stated on the thread, if you aren't compatible, just keep the preview running😁

Mathew K Jose

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
When I installed win 10512 and i did a hard reset,the storage occupied by the OS was 3.24 GB.There was some core OS updates.But after all it was less than 3.60 GB.So I think win 10 can be installed on 4GB devices also.But I dont know if u can do it by update(OTA).If not then you have to flash it directly with a pc.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
A few corrections...

So I think win 10 can be installed on 4GB devices also. But I dont know if u can do it by update(OTA). If not then you have to flash it directly with a pc.

Microsoft (Germany) has all but confirmed
that devices with only 4GB of storage will NOT be able to run W10M.

This is WCentral's take on the issue.

There is a list on Microsoft showing the compatible phones. I have a 640, 640xl and a lowly 435. All are shown as compatible.?

No. There exists no list that mentions all smartphones that are compatible with W10M.

MS published a first list of Lumia smartphones that will receive a free upgrade when available, where they explicitly mention "we're working hard to make Windows 10 available for other Lumia devices".

Some sites misunderstood or misrepresented that to be the final word on what devices will and which will not run W10M. That's just not true.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99