09-09-2015 01:21 AM
60 123
tools
    Nope, and I have had my 640 for like 2 months and some.
    Your phone has IPS type of display, only OLED type is sufferibg from burn in, like on 735, 1020, Ativ S, etc.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-31-2015 12:43 PM
    I don't see how the iPhone one button design is anything but arrogant. How on earth would people not find three buttons more convenient than one?
    I don't mind it tho :p
    08-31-2015 03:18 PM
    That is true, but if you connect a keyboard, you can use ESC or Backspace to navigate back, so there's that.
    I'm still a fan of capacitive buttons, mostly because they don't take away your precious screen space. That's a big deal breaker for me, and I'm not planing to buy any device with on screen buttons anytime soon. Unless it has some gestures or smth, that can replace buttons so they can always be hidden.
    what I don't get though, most devices with onscreen buttons actually make the display LARGER to compensate specifically for those buttons. While some devices do dip into your screen, not all do, your argument is using bad implementation as the example..
    08-31-2015 04:17 PM
    If the bezel is already there then having the buttons makes the unit look better and you can save on screen space. I use them so much i can't see myself constantly hiding the software version. Good programming would allow a user with these buttons to connect a mouse and have the software navigation appear and then disappear once the mouse is disconnected.

The real reason is to satisfy OEMs. This way they can develop 1 unit that works across both android and windows. And I don't think they want to outdo any OEMs or cause any tension. I don't really see any other reason. I love how the buttons light up and it just makes the phone look more premium and shiny. hehe
    08-31-2015 07:02 PM
    Your phone has IPS type of display, only OLED type is sufferibg from burn in, like on 735, 1020, Ativ S, etc.
    Yes, that's another thing that worries me about the on screen buttons. Unless they use w-oled which is less prone to burn-in, but doubt it as only LG uses it on their tv's.
    08-31-2015 07:06 PM
    I've had a 920 since it launched in 2012 and learned to really like the capacitive buttons. I heard that the new 950 would have on screen buttons and I was sure that I would hate them. Two weeks ago I got a 640 with on screen buttons and I would say that I am learning to actually prefer them. For one, they seem to work just as well as the capacitive buttons on the 920. Secondly, they dim along with the rest of the screen so they are not too bright at night. And, finally, I can hide them when I am watching video or viewing photos.

I was highly skeptical, but now I am sold on on-screen buttons.
    libra89, ven07, Slovenix and 2 others like this.
    08-31-2015 11:11 PM
    Secondly, they dim along with the rest of the screen so they are not too bright at night
    I didn't consider this...
    libra89 likes this.
    08-31-2015 11:55 PM
    I prefer virtual nav bar (L640). The only issue I have is games that have UI elements near the edges - the pop-up nav bar and game elements compete with each other (i.e. Toy Defense). Otherwise prefer virtual due to fewer accidental "search" clicks.
    09-01-2015 10:54 AM
    My opinion: Personally, i prefer capacitive buttons. They don't wear off as easily as physical ones and don't look cheap like virtual ones; i don't think they'd look good on flagships. I also think that on-screen buttons on Oled screens (like the 730) are a terrible idea.

Never had a single issue related to accidental taps with capacitive buttons, no matter what phone size.

And btw, their lights go off when the phone's sensor detects it's dark.
    ven07, Iki Taba, ajj3085 and 1 others like this.
    09-01-2015 11:04 AM
    And btw, their lights go off when the phone's sensor detects it's dark.
    You mean when the phone's sensor detects it's BRIGHT. The lights stay on when it's dark unless you turn on battery saver.
    ven07 likes this.
    09-01-2015 11:38 AM
    You mean when the phone's sensor detects it's BRIGHT. The lights stay on when it's dark unless you turn on battery saver.
    I overlooked that. Thanks for the correction.
    ven07 likes this.
    09-01-2015 11:52 AM
    You wanna know my solution about mouse thing in Windows 10 Mobile?
    Use capacitive buttons but when user connect a mouse, display virtual buttons
    09-01-2015 06:14 PM
    You wanna know my solution about mouse thing in Windows 10 Mobile?
    Use capacitive buttons but when user connect a mouse, display virtual buttons
    They already do when you use the Usb and presentation tool on pc. All phones have on screen buttons then.
    09-02-2015 12:42 AM
    I didn't consider this...
    The light from the buttons on my 920 also dim when the screen does.
    09-02-2015 07:13 PM
    No, they dim in the dark as you don't need as much light.
    09-02-2015 07:15 PM
    The light from the buttons on my 920 also dim when the screen does.
    The brightness of the capacitive buttons on the 920 don't vary from ambient light. They're either on or off depending on circumstance.
    09-02-2015 07:28 PM
    You mean when the phone's sensor detects it's BRIGHT. The lights stay on when it's dark unless you turn on battery saver

you 2 are confusing me now i'll have to turn off the lights and test it lol
    09-02-2015 08:34 PM
    The brightness of the capacitive buttons on the 920 don't vary from ambient light. They're either on or off depending on circumstance.
    Oh, guess i was just imagining it then.
    09-02-2015 08:36 PM
    I'm actually excited for the on screen buttons... The coolness in how they can be black or your theme color intrigues me.

Also unlike the 920 & 925 the capacitive buttons look cheap on the 1520... I've had like four to five different 1520's and seen plenty of them in the Microsoft store and in online pictures, and on every 1520 I've seen they all have cheap looking buttons due to them not being evenly colored/lit all over, and sometimes yellowness being apparent under them and graininess. Their not exactly the same shade/tone/color 100% all over kik they were on the 925 & 920 (which had cool reflective ones)
    09-02-2015 08:44 PM
    Also unlike the 920 & 925 the capacitive buttons look cheap on the 1520... I've had like four to five different 1520's and seen plenty of them in the Microsoft store and in online pictures, and on every 1520 I've seen they all have cheap looking buttons due to them not being evenly colored/lit all over, and sometimes yellowness being apparent under them and graininess. Their not exactly the same shade/tone/color 100% all over kik they were on the 925 & 920 (which had cool reflective ones)
    Whoa, glad my 1520 doesn't have any of those problems with my buttons! All evenly lit and a nice bright white! I would never buy a phone with onscreen buttons, seems kind of ratchet imo, lol. But after owning a 1520 you get spoiled, everything is a downgrade from here.
    09-02-2015 09:17 PM
    My Windows Phone doesn't have on screen buttons so I cannot comment on how they're implemented. I use Android devices with both types of buttons, and I prefer the on screen buttons. I like when the space that would be capacitive buttons is screen. That way, it can be used for screen if applicable, such as watching a video.

The implementation of on screen buttons is very natural and smooth on Android. If the buttons are hidden, such as when you're on YouTube, a tap anywhere on the screen will bring them up. This makes them readily available at all times.

Here's a picture I just snapped of a YouTube video on my Nexus 6. I like how much of the face of the device is screen (and FWIW, it has front facing speakers as well). The screen comes close to the bottom of the device, where capacitive buttons would obviously be.

n6.jpg
    09-02-2015 09:26 PM
    The implementation of on screen buttons is very natural and smooth on Android. If the buttons are hidden, such as when you're on YouTube, a tap anywhere on the screen will bring them up. This makes them readily available at all times.
    Exactly! I love the on screen buttons on my Nexus 5. I'm actually happy to see them on the new Windows Mobile devices. No more BRIGHT *** buttons at night!
    09-02-2015 09:33 PM
    My Windows Phone doesn't have on screen buttons so I cannot comment on how they're implemented. I use Android devices with both types of buttons, and I prefer the on screen buttons. I like when the space that would be capacitive buttons is screen. That way, it can be used for screen if applicable, such as watching a video.

Here's a picture I just snapped of a YouTube video on my Nexus 6. I like how much of the face of the device is screen (and FWIW, it has front facing speakers as well). The screen comes close to the bottom of the device, where capacitive buttons would obviously be.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	N6.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	111546
    Ooh how I want to get my hands on a nexus 6... :D

It's imo the most beautiful android device out right now

Even listed it as a phone I'm particularly interested in for trade here in my marketplace thread for my unlocked near mint Lumia 1520...
    09-02-2015 09:34 PM
    The Galaxy s6/edge/edge+ and the note 5 are also up there in terms of beautiful design, but the nexus 6 body is just glorious imo
    09-02-2015 09:35 PM
    Looks like a nice phone but then I remember it is android and I shudder.

I am getting used to the oncscreen buttons but I still hate the extra step of getting rid of them/bringing them back each time I need to use them,
    09-03-2015 05:41 AM
60 123