OK, stupid question I think?

cane prevost1

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I now have windows 10 installed on my 1520 and I just set up a bootcamp partition on my Macbook Pro running Windows desktop 10. I can't see any real benefit to having windows 10? I don't see my computer connecting to my phone in any real way or any way to get files, send texts, etc. with my desktop. This is built in on Mac and iPhone. I thought this is what Windows was working on? Took me about a half hour just to get a bluetooth connection set up. Once I did I couldn't find a way to do anything with the connection except to disconnect it. Am I missing something? No this is not a troll.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
The main benefit would be that you can throw things into your onedrive and get them synced on both devices? but you already had that so..

A lot of people have been asking for the texting bit and I can't remember if MS said that we'd get or if im just imagining things again... oops

While MS still has some work to do, with making it a true "one-platform" platform, you can already see the benefits with cortana, calendar and mail.. When apps are truly universal you can use them on both the phone and laptop and still have the same work or progress you made within the app on your phone, available and waiting for you on your laptop. Cortana, mail and calendar are all MS app, so that's why those are already updated to function in this way, but other apps available in the store might take longer, because it's up to the developers.

Edit: if you're already on w10 then you only have access to the universal store and those apps are obviously universal, however if you had an 8.1 device and a w10 laptop then you'd have two different stores available to you

cane prevost1

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I already had my calendars and mail synced in Mac OS X so I'm not seeing anything new really. Hoping we get more integration when windows phone os is final.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I already had my calendars and mail synced in Mac OS X so I'm not seeing anything new really. Hoping we get more integration when windows phone os is final.

The integration between devices will grow, or at least that's the reasoning behind the move

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
The separated Skype messenger app will allow you to send text messages from your PC. The apps on your 1520 (if they're universal) can also be made for the desktop and can be one license as opposed to buying the app twice if your phone.

Also, what do you mean by send files?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
The separated Skype messenger app will allow you to send text messages from your PC. The apps on your 1520 (if they're universal) can also be made for the desktop and can be one license as opposed to buying the app twice if your phone.

Also, what do you mean by send files?

Think he meant simply pushing the file to the phone without needing a cable

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
It's not stupid. In fact the Phone connector app should do a bit more. For WP it says something silly like it just works and yet we all know it doesn't. For instance for photos you need to activate OneDrive. For mail, unless the same email accounts are added it doesn't. Notification reads are not unified. Etc.

They have a long way to go to make it seamless which is what users expect.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
for the OP ...
IF you're on a WiFi network, use Easy Transfer (check for app in the Store) to move files easily between phone(use app) & any other device with a browser.

Daniel Gilbert M

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Better way use FTP Server to have a better experience using windows explorer....
just enter the ftp address into the windows explorer address bar
no need to use browser to transfer files ....
transfer speeds will depend on your router bandwidth.
and no it wont use internet ....

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I use bluetooth to transfer files between my lumia 830 and desktop. There's not much you can really do at this point as both aren't finished. Yes the desktop is still not finished. But bluetooth does work fine.

cane prevost1

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I guess I'll wait and see. I was hoping to be able to send texts from my desktop just like they were coming from my phone. I could do that in both IOS and Android just fine. Notification sync would also be great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon