Bring back Lumia Camera features and Lumia imaging apps

kokola

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
If enough people actually used those apps, they would stay available. Simple as that.
I've removed apps from the store because I didn't have the time to update them, but if they had a large user base they'd still be in the store making me money.
Link please?

mestari

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I just don't understand why would they remove lumia camera and replace it with a bad version of it. It's like they want me to ditch windows phone, which i will do. Microsoft has ruined all the amazing things Nokia has done: mixradio, music player, maps, even design (looking at you lumia 950) and the awesome camera. Nokia spent 8 years developing the pureview technology, and just like that microsoft ditched it for crappy windows camera.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
But ALL will not get that update (and it might take many months before the carriers do deliver even to those who gets WM10).
And, WHY should they remove anything at all before they have the replacements out there (and accepted)?
It's a mystery to me... ??

And, I do not know if a huge part of us WP-users are so confused that our lives gets better if MS removes apps for us. It’s just absurd.

For me this is just to ask for bad PR. IF they care about their phones someone should be fired for this.

First, Microsoft doesn't have to update the operating system anymore to add features like that. The majority of Windows 10 Mobile can be updated through the Windows Store, bypassing carriers.
Second, those applications haven't been removed yet, and won't be until October 30th. That leaves Microsoft almost two months.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
First, Microsoft doesn't have to update the operating system anymore to add features like that. The majority of Windows 10 Mobile can be updated through the Windows Store, bypassing carriers.
Second, those applications haven't been removed yet, and won't be until October 30th. That leaves Microsoft almost two months.

I do not get it. Do you mean that MS will shoot out W10M bypassing the carriers?
And I still do not get why they have to remove the apps. Why not FIRST release something better and THEN remove the old apps?

mprebich

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
It's odd to me that MS plans to fight the Android/iOS app-mania with even less apps and features than what they previously lost the war with... ?
Is this some strange fetish for losing they are showing?

Speaking of fetishes, I think it is a prerequisite to upgrading to W10M to be a bit masochistic (def. "tending to invite and enjoy misery")

NOTE: this is called humor; please do not chastise me for complaining about W10M when I could just roll back to W8.1 and spare everyone.

mprebich

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't think that anyone has issues with MS consolidating features/apps for a better user experience, easier app maintenance, etc.

The point is that they should not have removed existing functionality, until they have some alternative(s) ready.

In the end we may get all the functionality back, but that would just prove yet again that MS is horrible at PR.

Right now, they have taken apps away and left users with no clear message of their plan.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I do not get it. Do you mean that MS will shoot out W10M bypassing the carriers?
And I still do not get why they have to remove the apps. Why not FIRST release something better and THEN remove the old apps?

Apparently Microsoft has a plan to bypass carriers with updates, but as far as I can tell that plan is just that the majority of Windows 10 Mobile (all the default apps, settings, features) are all Windows Store apps so can be updated separate of the operating system (including the camera) meaning Microsoft doesn't need carrier permission to update half their operating system. If Microsoft updates their camera we get the update straight away.
Those apps haven't been removed yet! They won't be until October 30th! No, we don't know Microsoft will release anything, but we're hanging ourselves before the crime has been committed.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Apparently Microsoft has a plan to bypass carriers with updates, but as far as I can tell that plan is just that the majority of Windows 10 Mobile (all the default apps, settings, features) are all Windows Store apps so can be updated separate of the operating system (including the camera) meaning Microsoft doesn't need carrier permission to update half their operating system. If Microsoft updates their camera we get the update straight away.
Those apps haven't been removed yet! They won't be until October 30th! No, we don't know Microsoft will release anything, but we're hanging ourselves before the crime has been committed.

Do you think a majority of the people using these apps on WP will have them on W10M on the 1st of November?
And the update from WP to W10M, will that also bypass the carriers?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Do you think a majority of the people using these apps on WP will have them on W10M on the 1st of November?
And the update from WP to W10M, will that also bypass the carriers?

I don't know if they will. I don't pretend to be able to predict the future or know Microsoft's plans. I just dislike it when people assume the worst has happened before it's even started. Microsoft just ANNOUNCED they're going to discontinue those applications. That's still well over a month away. We have no idea what Microsoft has in the pipeline as far as apps and updates go.
As for bypassing carriers with the core Windows 10 Mobile update, I honestly have no clue. Microsoft has said they have plans of bypassing the carriers (although they also said the carriers will still be involved in some way) but I am not sure what those plans are. We'll just have to wait and see. I'm not pretending to have some higher knowledge, I just encourage you to keep an open mind.

ErickBonilla_01

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I really wish 2 things:
1) Can anyone please explain why Panorama is sooo bad in Windows Phone(so slow and complicated)? And that has been from the very beginning, no argue on that.
2) Are they going to replace it? How much better will it become?

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
check the Windows Camera app in windows10 on your phone. If you can call that a quality app...compare it to lumia camera. Then you will have your answer about things getting better about your question.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I really wish 2 things:
1) Can anyone please explain why Panorama is sooo bad in Windows Phone(so slow and complicated)? And that has been from the very beginning, no argue on that.
2) Are they going to replace it? How much better will it become?
The panorama application was bad because Nokia had used a particularly ancient method of building panoramas (sort of stitching separate images together which doesn't look great and takes ages) at a time where a now commonplace method is king. Hopefully Microsoft won't make the same stupid mistake.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if they will. I don't pretend to be able to predict the future or know Microsoft's plans. I just dislike it when people assume the worst has happened before it's even started. Microsoft just ANNOUNCED they're going to discontinue those applications. That's still well over a month away. We have no idea what Microsoft has in the pipeline as far as apps and updates go.
As for bypassing carriers with the core Windows 10 Mobile update, I honestly have no clue. Microsoft has said they have plans of bypassing the carriers (although they also said the carriers will still be involved in some way) but I am not sure what those plans are. We'll just have to wait and see. I'm not pretending to have some higher knowledge, I just encourage you to keep an open mind.

You're right, it's still some weeks before they stop supporting these apps.

I have to admit with others in this post, the panorama app was bad. I have a lumia 1020 and you would think the panorama would be of amazing quality but it was not. The same thing with photosynth. If I take a single photo with Lumia camera original it would be 15MB high res. But photosynth would be 4MB for the whole thing. No quality at all.

I'm rather hoping that the panorama and photosynth apps come back with amazing quality and features.

Lumia cinemagraph and refocus are great but need work on how to share and view online.

What's this thing with carriers? Do you mean your cellular network provider? I thought updates come from Microsoft and not the telcom company.

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
I think I have an idea of what MS is doing...the announced removal of certain apps is going to be converged into one camera app (which will be updated majorly and then bit by bit) In essence, getting a windows camera universal app. Secondly, I think MS knows it cant really play catch up in terms of apps in the store vs. Apple and Android. Rather than having "an app for that" it'll be more of a built in ability. Eg skype. Look at how its being integrated into the OS. Not only on phones but W10 on a whole. "They have an app for that? We have a phone for that." Kind of thing.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
You're right, it's still some weeks before they stop supporting these apps.

I have to admit with others in this post, the panorama app was bad. I have a lumia 1020 and you would think the panorama would be of amazing quality but it was not. The same thing with photosynth. If I take a single photo with Lumia camera original it would be 15MB high res. But photosynth would be 4MB for the whole thing. No quality at all.

I'm rather hoping that the panorama and photosynth apps come back with amazing quality and features.

Lumia cinemagraph and refocus are great but need work on how to share and view online.

What's this thing with carriers? Do you mean your cellular network provider? I thought updates come from Microsoft and not the telcom company.
I have already agreed that Panorama was bad and explained why, haha.
In some countries phone updates have to be accepted by the carrier before they're released to your phone. This is a huge issue in the USA and something millions of people have complained about. American carriers are notorious for dropping the ball on updates, such as with the Verizon Lumia Icon and the AT&T Lumia 830 (which I own). Apparently Microsoft has a plan to bypass carriers and send updates directly to phones instead, which is faster and more guaranteed.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I have already agreed that Panorama was bad and explained why, haha.
In some countries phone updates have to be accepted by the carrier before they're released to your phone. This is a huge issue in the USA and something millions of people have complained about. American carriers are notorious for dropping the ball on updates, such as with the Verizon Lumia Icon and the AT&T Lumia 830 (which I own). Apparently Microsoft has a plan to bypass carriers and send updates directly to phones instead, which is faster and more guaranteed.

That sounds messed up. I'm in Kenya and the model we follow is quite good. You buy phones as they are without SIM cards and get the card later from any of the 4 telcom companies here. If you don't like the current one, switch to a different carrier in a matter of minutes. That simple. Dual SIM phones are quite popular so you can take advantage of different offers. Sure, telcom companies do sell phones but they are rarely locked to that carrier. I've seen that phone sellers can have the same phone as the telcom company but at cheaper rates. Or vice versa. I got my lumia 1020 from the telcom company at a price 20% less than the current market price.

Updates come when MS releases them for the market irrespective of which carrier I am on. :excited:The only problem is that MS has forgot Kenya has Lumia 1020 devices and we need the denim update. It's been 8 months now :cry:

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
That sounds messed up. I'm in Kenya and the model we follow is quite good. You buy phones as they are without SIM cards and get the card later from any of the 4 telcom companies here. If you don't like the current one, switch to a different carrier in a matter of minutes. That simple. Dual SIM phones are quite popular so you can take advantage of different offers. Sure, telcom companies do sell phones but they are rarely locked to that carrier. I've seen that phone sellers can have the same phone as the telcom company but at cheaper rates. Or vice versa. I got my lumia 1020 from the telcom company at a price 20% less than the current market price.

Updates come when MS releases them for the market irrespective of which carrier I am on. :excited:The only problem is that MS has forgot Kenya has Lumia 1020 devices and we need the denim update. It's been 8 months now :cry:
USA has been taken over by carriers. It's quite bad. I wish we would just move to an unlocked model but it won't happen any time soon.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
USA has been taken over by carriers. It's quite bad. I wish we would just move to an unlocked model but it won't happen any time soon.
Things are slowly beginning tto change though.
Tmobile is introducing some reforms in the mobile industry. The others are following suit.

Apple is also doing some reform.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05