Never expect full attention from Microsoft again for WM10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
It's another conspiracy theory post! Wow, if I had a ?1 for every one of these that popped up in the last 6 months...

OK let's get something straight. W10M is a complete overhaul. It's taking time to get right because what they're doing isn't easy by ...

Oh a complete overhaul you say now where did I hear that before...
Just to put things in perspective a fast ring in an android developement like CM gets nightly builds where they fix things each day and when a new feature gets released and messes things up you can bet that that same week every nightly would address it, but even at a pre release level Microsoft is working extremely slow, that's not an OS that will launch any time soon and I guarantee that some features will be pushed back to GDR 1 AND GDR2, now this is not a skyfalling post its just as it is titled I would never expect full atention out of Microsoft for the next release so basically if you buy into the new flagships you're a premium beta tester

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
As for the people who wrote that Microsoft is a business first seem to forget that every damn company is business first! I'm not responsible for Microsoft success it's their job to impress and not the other way around .

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
attachment.php

Attachments

• DBC3.jpg
    DBC3.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 345

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
As for the people who wrote that Microsoft is a business first seem to forget that every damn company is business first! I'm not responsible for Microsoft success it's their job to impress and not the other way around .

You are not responsible for MS's success. Don't put yourself on a pedestal.

MS is successful due to it's business dealings. That's why it's successful. Consumer products are really nothing more than a sideline. MS is a software company first because that's where they make money.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Oh a complete overhaul you say now where did I hear that before...
Just to put things in perspective a fast ring in an android developement like CM gets nightly builds where they fix things each day and when a new feature gets released and messes things up you can bet that that same week every nightly would address it, but even at a pre release level Microsoft is working extremely slow, that's not an OS that will launch any time soon and I guarantee that some features will be pushed back to GDR 1 AND GDR2, now this is not a skyfalling post its just as it is titled I would never expect full atention out of Microsoft for the next release so basically if you buy into the new flagships you're a premium beta tester

You really need to change platforms because I think you're losing perspective. Just remember, Android is not a comparison to what MS is doing. It is completely and utterly different. You cannot compare the two. You seem to be stuck in the idea that W10M is like Android. It isn't. It's W10 for mobiles. Meaning, it's W10... do you see the difference?

What is slow in your eyes? Tell me, how long does it take to make an OS work on every platform? Do you have a clue at all about what it takes to do what MS is doing? Even the slightest idea?

I'll wait for you answer. I'm sure it's nice and snarky...

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just to put things in perspective a fast ring in an android developement like CM gets nightly builds where they fix things each day and when a new feature gets released and messes things up you can bet that that same week every nightly would address it, but even at a pre release level Microsoft is working extremely slow

And this is where your argument continues to fail.

Nightly builds is an awful way to deploy software to a large amount of users and Microsoft simply will not expose any external users to that level of awfulness.

Go read the Windows Blog that describes the testing process for builds. I'm sure you read that blog entry before you wrote your initial post, but I'd really recommend that you read it again.

For your convenience, here's the link again - LINK

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry you seem to say that making an OS that works across billions of devices in every language possible along with a full suit of apps that work almost everywhere (Cortana vs GoogleNow) is Easier than making an OS for 2.9% of smartphones?

If you suddenly think that making an OS for a limited amount of hardware is harder then I guess I'm not the one losing prospective.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
And this is where your argument continues to fail.

Nightly builds is an awful way to deploy software to a large amount of users and Microsoft simply will not expose any external users to that level of awfulness.

Go read the Windows Blog that describes the testing process for builds. I'm sure you read that blog entry before you wrote your initial post, but I'd really recommend that you read it again.

For your convenience, here's the link again - LINK

What are you talking about? the latest build had too many issues users didnt have basic smartphone functions

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry you seem to say that making an OS that works across billions of devices in every language possible along with a full suit of apps that work almost everywhere (Cortana vs GoogleNow) is Easier than making an OS for 2.9% of smartphones?

If you suddenly think that making an OS for a limited amount of hardware is harder then I guess I'm not the one losing prospective.

They are not making an OS for smartphones... You are completely missing the point aren't you? Man... I give up.

I can't talk to someone who doesn't understand what's going on.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What are you talking about? the latest build had too many issues users didnt have basic smartphone functions

And you're advocating nightly builds...?

Like N_LaRUE, I am now ceasing contributing to this thread until there's something sensible to respond to.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
No problem but just to clarify A. Whats wrong with nightly builds B. There must come a time where every OS is a smartphone OS I can't understand how you could still think the future is in PCs, give it a couple of years and programs like PS and Autocad and even 3dsax will start coming to ARM specially with cloud processing becoming more and more a reality.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
You really need to change platforms because I think you're losing perspective. Just remember, Android is not a comparison to what MS is doing. It is completely and utterly different. You cannot compare the two. You seem to be stuck in the idea that W10M is like Android. It isn't. It's W10 for mobiles. Meaning, it's W10... do you see the difference?

What is slow in your eyes? Tell me, how long does it take to make an OS work on every platform? Do you have a clue at all about what it takes to do what MS is doing? Even the slightest idea?

I'll wait for you answer. I'm sure it's nice and snarky...

During the same time as MS managed to develop surface pro3/3, W10 and some beta builds of W10M Apple was able to develop and release a bunch of phones, ios 8/9, two generations of osx, apple watch, apple TV (v2), Siri in most of the world and a bunch of tablets. Impressive!

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
During the same time as MS managed to develop surface pro3/3, W10 and some beta builds of W10M Apple was able to develop and release a bunch of phones, ios 8/9, two generations of osx, apple watch, apple TV (v2), Siri in most of the world and a bunch of tablets. Impressive!

"Apple was able to develop and release a bunch of phones"
No, they spent years working on the iPhone 6, and the new iPhone 6 whatever is just a slightly modified one.

"IOS 8/9"
yes those very small updates, one of which was basically a metro clone. totally = to the amount of work w10 has

"apple watch"
so.. the apple watch came out before the MS band? and there isn't a MS band 2 coming out soon?

"apple TV"
um... PC?

"siri in most of the world"
Cortana is just better.. this ones grabbing at straws more so than the others..

"bunch of tablets"
um.. you mean 2 ipad versions? that's faster than the sp3? which one came out first again?

as you can se, you are clearly making stuff up and ignoring everything else Microsoft has made using only windows 10m as a comparison, while noting everything apple has made, you are so incredibly biased its painful.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
"Apple was able to develop and release a bunch of phones"
No, they spent years working on the iPhone 6, and the new iPhone 6 whatever is just a slightly modified one.
So how do we benefit from MS habit of restarting their developments all over and over again?
They where not sleeping for the years when apple "where working on the iphone"?
Apple could use Nokia inventions like live picture, 3d touch, purview etch, why can not Microsoft re use this (I was imagining it would be easier for MS as they bought Nokia)?

"IOS 8/9"
yes those very small updates, one of which was basically a metro clone. totally = to the amount of work w10 has
Whatever, it works (and their customers are happy). W10M does not. MS just tend to restart, restart, restart without moving forward. And, what's wrong with a metro clone? I wish W10 had been more "metro" on my surfaces (pro 1 &2).

"apple watch"
so.. the apple watch came out before the MS band? and there isn't a MS band 2 coming out soon?
For my needs I prefer MS Band but I do feel that Apple watch is a massively bigger concept and that it has consumed a lot more resources and consistency to be able to do it. Don't you think so?

"apple TV"
um... PC?
What. I did not get that comment. Sorry.

"siri in most of the world"
Cortana is just better.. this ones grabbing at straws more so than the others..
I live at the outskirts of Europe (Sweden). I can not get Cortana here and it is the same in many many countries around the world. Cortana is today in like 10 out of 200 countries in the world?
What I could get (if I used apple products) is Siri.
A funny note, MS is selling/advertising W10 here with Cortana (which is not available), impressive....

"bunch of tablets"
um.. you mean 2 ipad versions? that's faster than the sp3? which one came out first again?
I think we make big mistakes if we overestimate the importance of "speed". I guess that most customers buying iPad pro will find it more than fast enough for Office, mail, web etc. Don't you? Or, will we hejar a lot of complains about speed?

as you can se, you are clearly making stuff up and ignoring everything else Microsoft has made using only windows 10m as a comparison, while noting everything apple has made, you are so incredibly biased its painful.

I admit, I might be biased. I blame my disappointment in MS for that... I do not think I am more biased than the average reader of this board however.

Cheers!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Sigh. Still not the same.

Apple works with Apple. Windows works with OEMs. Big difference. Completely different thinking.

Windows 10 will work with PC, tablet, game console and phone on multiple products.

Apple - iOS and OSX works only on their products.

Want to try again?

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
CYANOGEN is NOT android. Cyanogen use the latest source codes, and compile a 'custom' beta vanilla rom. Why do they have nightlys? Because it's beta and usually unstable, with many fixes being required. They also try and accommodate a large database of devices. Search XDA and there are many threads where devs are building on a CM rom.

Android and iOS are basically evolutions of a prior version with bug fixes and promises they usually can't keep!!!! If only people knew how much damage Apple do in the far East, and China. There was a TV programme here a few weeks ago where they investigated Apple and their suppliers. The amount of damage their suppliers do to ecosystems, to obtain tin, for Apples devices requiring solder! I dare say Samsung et al, are just a bad. The working conditions in Chinese factories, making iPhones was eye opening!

Anyways, back on subject. Win 10 was a major upgrade for MS after Win 8 was knocked so heavily. Even the mobile version is a major overhaul. 10 isn't an evolution of prior OS's, it's designed to be future proof (whatever that means!), to seamlessly switch between desktop and mobile, to be bought into line with the PC release with apps etc

Everyone loves to knock something with minimal information, or reading the dreaded forums / boards, reading between the lines or interpreting in their own way, and making 2+2 equal 5.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Sigh. Still not the same.

Windows 10 will work with PC, tablet, game console and phone on multiple products.

Apple - iOS and OSX works only on their products....

Want to try again?

So what is the benefit of this so impressive effort?
I think the new iPad pro did run than office quite smooth even on this "super exotic" ios?
I really think it was even better than any universal app that Microsoft has shown yet.
But, maybe we just have to wait?... one year, two years, another new restart?

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

Mmmm...seems like that is re-inventing the wheel, a Samsung trick. A bunch of phones? It won't be long before they are all paper weights. Mind you, it must have taken ages to get a SOC to operate in a banana lol.

Smart watches are, to me, a bit of a misnomer. Yet another accessory that you have to ask, do I really need one?? For activity purposes, yes they are helpful. The Apple watch??? If you walk down the road in certain areas, showing it off, you aren't coming out with it! You might as well wander along in the worst part of town with a neon sign over your head and pointing at it. Would you do it with a Rolex or Brietling, maybe your Hublot? Do you really need to wave your watch around when cortana can tell you who is calling, answer for you etc.

A bunch of tablets? Again, re-inventing the wheel, and differences between them, in the real world, are probably unnoticeable for the fashionistas who have to have bragging rights, for their shallow existences.

I'll stick to what a phone is for. Calls, email, text and running my business without the fear of being mugged by a fare for my Crapple phone /tablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb