Never expect full attention from Microsoft again for WM10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
They do some cleaning, but the code is complex and they have to support 30-20-10 year old third party programs that depend those old APIs. I'm not seeing the benefit for the users of carrying that burden. On the contrary, Windows development is slow and Microsoft can't deliver a competent mobile OS.

Did you have Loading/Resuming in WP7? WP8 introduced the performance problems.
They got rid of 16 bit code, that was a big thing. Those "old APIs" do not restrict the OS programmers that much, they only keep the interface and call other APIs that superseded the old ones. It's just a matter of keeping a file that implements them compilable. I guess you could call all "legacy" applications old, but they are used by 95% or more of their customers. If they want to keep those, they have to keep the backwards compatibility, but not as some sort of a burden that prevents them doing some wild things.

As for the old code in Windows, it's not just because of the APIs. If you start with a new version of OS you do not throw everything out. There are perfectly good parts of the code you can keep reusing. Memory management, process scheduler, etc. Standard solutions for standard tasks/problems.

GoWP

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
I read everyday the news about Microsoft and Windows phones, and my conclusion is: They already work on the B plan, because the success of the Win Mobile is not guaranteed, and that plan includes developing apps for Android and iOS as priority. Another part of the B plan is Surface mobile, if Lumia line doesn't survive. With all Microsoft apps (Cortana, Onedrive, Office...) Android becomes more complete and full featured OS. The move now is "All in" and wait, but i think they don't expect too much. They are in big crisis, and that's obvious. New flagships are late, new OS is late, latest apps are late, Android now has all available apps. Why we should buy the Microsoft mobile? Universal apps and Continuum are not WOW features, which are only desperate moves to stay in game for a while! I wrote this as pissed fan of Windows phones and Microsoft's strategy :eck: :devil:

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, that's the thing though, I would love Microsoft to focus on performance improvements but how can they if all they do is restarting the OS and reserve more staff for side projects?

The performance improvements will come as a part of this cycle before it's released. I suspect that the most recent build (allegedly due tomorrow) will have quite a few performance improvements as well as more stability. I still have my concerns of whether they'll ship as good of a product as they need to in the time frame they've set, but we'll see.

I'm sure picking on Android and iOS is easy, but if Microsoft doesn't get on the ball right away and push more resources towards WM10 development, they'll end up with very bad reviews and less and less people will buy their products, which means less and less people will develop for both the new and old devices and we'll be left for phones that no one would even buy from us.

I'm not picking on Android or iOS - they're both kicking WPs ****. Android (until recently) has been know for lagging, needing reboots, battery pulls (not really possible on lots of Androids these days) and not being the most robust/stable OS out there - yet it still sold really well (and still does).

MS has to balance spending their resources on building a mobile OS that has 2.6% market share. They want to make it attractive enough to try & attract some users and not damage the brand name (beyond where it's already at), but some things just have to be sacrificed because it doesn't make sense to spend resources on such low market share. It needs to be stable, perform reasonably well and hopefully the universal app strategy pays off. Glad I don't have to make the decisions at MS around Windows mobile.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Meanwhile there're app developers still collecting profits on apps made for Android 4.0 and even 2.1
Dashboards | Android Developers

Gingerbread (released 4 years ago) STILL has about the same marketshare as the entirety of WP does (according to the linked graph, Gingerbread has 4.1% of the Android userbase, so if we go by Android having roughly 80% of the market, that means Gingerbread has about 3.3% of the smartphone market).

That's pretty sad.

Last edited:

hwangeruk

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I never said MS had a sales success, just a technical success. As Betamax and VHS taught us, superior tech does not always win.
Ferrari probably have less than 3% market share, are their products not amazing, nor successful? You've got caught in the holy war syndrome, that this whining on the Internet matters, and that there is some childish tug of war going on. Its just boring consumerism, nothing to get too excited over.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I never said MS had a sales success, just a technical success. As Betamax and VHS taught us, superior tech does not always win.
Ferrari probably have less than 3% market share, are their products not amazing, nor successful? You've got caught in the holy war syndrome, that this whining on the Internet matters, and that there is some childish tug of war going on. Its just boring consumerism, nothing to get too excited over.

The problem is that if Ferrari ran on special gasoline that was not available hardly anywhere, they wouldn't still be around, or be a curiosity, like a race car. The apps are the gasoline of smartphones. WP can't run without it.

Chomiq

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
Meanwhile...

The Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 edge smartphones are receiving a new update that installs more Microsoft apps including Office, Word, and PowerPoint on the devices. The handsets already come with Microsoft OneDrive and OneNote apps pre-installed.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
well MS got themselves a bad reputation after the ditch and run they had made with wp 7.8, winRT. retaining trust in users is getting harder. And regarding windows 10 mobile, release date is soon and the OS does not look not even close to finish. It's obvious they will release a working beta version, as they did with windows 10 on PCs. Don't tell me that on PC everything is ok as it should be...I have installed it on my lenovo 2in1 and it was terrible: apps not updating, live tiles not working, store app very slow, wifi performance worse than on 8.1, tablet experience a total wreck, battery life worse, I even had to reinstall it from scratch after none of the Metro apps or Settings, not even tray icons, would open. Even though I am using a macbook pro, I was very excited about windows 10 on PC, from there the reason for buying that Lenovo, but after I saw what a terrible experience I had...Windows 10 on PC as it is now is far from ready for business productive environment, far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Correction: Always expect full attention from Microsoft from WM10 and onwards. Windows 10 and windows 10 mobile are the same at heart. They can update their apps with the same code. They don't have to dedicate one team for the phone and another for apps. They can just use one for both. So yeah, there aren't any more excuses now, only progress.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
W10 and W10M may be the same at heart, but it's still a lot of work. Universal apps are a nice idea and I would not be surprised if that's how they pitched it to Nadella to give W10M another chance, the apps will come, because they cannot not to. But it still requires 3rdparty developers to make yet another switch and they still have to make adjustments and testing for mobile apps. So it's not for free and it depends on programmers and their employers if they want to rework their existing apps to be universal. Programmers face a constant change which is a hassle if the reward is minimal. MS should make their mind and stick with something for longer than a year.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
W10 and W10M may be the same at heart, but it's still a lot of work. Universal apps are a nice idea and I would not be surprised if that's how they pitched it to Nadella to give W10M another chance, the apps will come, because they cannot not to. But it still requires 3rdparty developers to make yet another switch and they still have to make adjustments and testing for mobile apps. So it's not for free and it depends on programmers and their employers if they want to rework their existing apps to be universal. Programmers face a constant change which is a hassle if the reward is minimal. MS should make their mind and stick with something for longer than a year.
Haven't you seem the bridges though? Microsoft are making it as easy as possible. By the way, this topic isn't about third party developers, it's about whether Microsoft won't pull another xbox music on their phone users.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Haven't you seem the bridges though? Microsoft are making it as easy as possible. By the way, this topic isn't about third party developers, it's about whether Microsoft won't pull another xbox music on their phone users.
Third party developers are very important for the success of universal apps and their availability across all devices. They have to feel it's worth investing their resources into it, it cannot be just MS.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Third party developers are very important for the success of universal apps and their availability across all devices. They have to feel it's worth investing their resources into it, it cannot be just MS.
Omg I know this already. But look at the title of the thread! This thread is only about Microsoft!

philharmonik

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm running the latest build on my 1520 and its great so far. This is my daily driver as well. What "basic smartphone functions" are you even talking about?? Here is a list of smartphone functions that I used on my 1520 today with the new build.

WiFi+ Internet on my phone= CHECK
Alarm + woke me up on time for work= CHECK
Bluetooth + Car/commute to work = Podcasts working = CHECK
Appointment Reminder + Cortana= CHECK
Appointment address + Cortana/Bing maps/navigation= CHECK
Made a phone call with Bluetooth in car = CHECK
Cortana + Speech to text = CHECK

Now, I don't know what you consider "basic smartphone functions", but the only function that currently doesn't work on my 1520 is "Hey Cortana", and that is NOT a basic Smartphone function.

I've been onboard with Windows Phone since the L920 was released (2011). W10M is looking pretty damn good if you ask me.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm running the latest build on my 1520 and its great so far. This is my daily driver as well. What "basic smartphone functions" are you even talking about?? Here is a list of smartphone functions that I used on my 1520 today with the new build.

WiFi+ Internet on my phone= CHECK
Alarm + woke me up on time for work= CHECK
Bluetooth + Car/commute to work = Podcasts working = CHECK
Appointment Reminder + Cortana= CHECK
Appointment address + Cortana/Bing maps/navigation= CHECK
Made a phone call with Bluetooth in car = CHECK
Cortana + Speech to text = CHECK

Now, I don't know what you consider "basic smartphone functions", but the only function that currently doesn't work on my 1520 is "Hey Cortana", and that is NOT a basic Smartphone function.

I've been onboard with Windows Phone since the L920 was released (2011). W10M is looking pretty damn good if you ask me.

everyone is free to choose the best fit for them. only that the best fit in some cases is a never ending beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb