Now everything is supposingly a universal app, under the same code base... Probably open to the same vulnerabilities.... And what kind of protection are we getting on our phones?! I don't see any info about Windows Defender on W10M..... Could that be a secret service running in the background??
    JohnStrk likes this.
    09-10-2015 07:30 PM
    We still don't need Defender on mobile at this time.
    Universal apps are not exe's downloaded from the net, they're from the app store, just like things are now.
    09-10-2015 07:34 PM
    The universal app sandbox is the kind of the ultimate protection in windows.

Windows defender is mainly for non-universal app elements and because you can modify registry and other things on the desktop side. You can't do that on mobile. So there is little need for defender.
    09-10-2015 07:34 PM
    Now everything is supposingly a universal app, under the same code base... Probably open to the same vulnerabilities.... And what kind of protection are we getting on our phones?! I don't see any info about Windows Defender on W10M..... Could that be a secret service running in the background??
    These are some of the compromises we may have to make for increased functionality. However, I don't think that so far there is much of a danger from Store apps. I believe that the vulnerabilities are still mostly from the web and x86 apps.
    09-10-2015 07:38 PM
    Thanks! The sandbox part make sense... But that still doesn't/wouldn't include web pages... There are still certain risks we will be exposed to..... Even thought that could just be a one off thing as they doesn't seems to be able infect the device....
    09-10-2015 07:48 PM
    Thanks! The sandbox part make sense... But that still doesn't/wouldn't include web pages... There are still certain risks we will be exposed to..... Even thought that could just be a one off thing as they doesn't seems to be able infect the device....
    The whole browser is sandboxed too. So usually viruses come through a webpage and propagate into the OS, but they can't do that here.

Yes, with more functionality, you have more risks. For example, the file explorer provides a way to go around the sandbox but it still doesn't expose the OS. The OS is exposed in the desktop version.
    09-10-2015 08:03 PM
    And on top of those, most virii are targeted at x86 full Windows which plain won't run on Mobile.
    09-10-2015 08:04 PM
    Believe it or not but I had a virus of some sort as somehow my Skype sent all my friends this google link to a diet webpage, had to use my laptop to delete the msgs as it wouldn't let me delete on phone :/
    09-10-2015 08:08 PM
    Believe it or not but I had a virus of some sort as somehow my Skype sent all my friends this google link to a diet webpage, had to use my laptop to delete the msgs as it wouldn't let me delete on phone :/
    Do you have skype installed somewhere else on a desktop? That might be the culprit. Also, I would suggest changing your skype password. I would think of these as possible issues before starting to think of a virus in the OS. Just some thoughts :) everything is possible these days.
    09-10-2015 09:30 PM
    I'd say that if an OS got popular enough regardless of how great it was, it'll get hacked, and the hackers best friend is user mistakes, at the moment WP is pretty safe, actually most of really bad hacks in mobile happen in jailbroken or rooted devices.
    09-10-2015 10:24 PM
    Do you have skype installed somewhere else on a desktop? That might be the culprit. Also, I would suggest changing your skype password. I would think of these as possible issues before starting to think of a virus in the OS. Just some thoughts :) everything is possible these days.
    No,I used the web browser client to delete the msgs, I have reset my phone to clear the issue,doubt it was a hack as I was probably a gba rom I downloaded as it happened after I downloaded it from emuparadise or w/e the site is called.
    09-10-2015 11:11 PM