When can we expect Android apps on WP?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
re:

MS is working closely with some developers, but not all of them. The Astoria tools were leaked previously, but those weren't fully updated. We might start seeing android apps a bit after w10m goes official so hold tight until next month

Gamezone

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
re:

Amateurs ported many apps and got them working on Windows 10 preview. I therefore think it's weird that we haven't seen anything.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
re:

Amateurs ported many apps and got them working on Windows 10 preview. I therefore think it's weird that we haven't seen anything.

Being able to port does not mean that there it's automatically lucrative :) I think many will wait to see the results of the few that are already working with MS. Keep in mind that not everybody will need the same apps. On top of that I would rather have those developers release universal apps, instead of porting :) Bigger audience for them and better experience for us

Jezza

May 8, 2015
Visit site
re:

Being able to port does not mean that there it's automatically lucrative :) I think many will wait to see the results of the few that are already working with MS. Keep in mind that not everybody will need the same apps. On top of that I would rather have those developers release universal apps, instead of porting :) Bigger audience for them and better experience for us

Universal apps are definitely what I would prefer to see, but not all apps and games would demand the platform, since some of them are only really suited to mobile platforms (e.g Snapchat, Pedometers, Geocaching etc.) So, for those Astoria would be perfect.

However, I don't imagine many apprehensive or less invested developers would opt for the universal platform right away, so I would consider Astoria as their method for testing the water to see what kind of return they get from the mobile platform. If that proves successful then they may consider adopting it to a universal option to expand their market reach to Windows 10 PC and (in some cases) Xbox users.

As we've seen from the leaked Astoria tool (which as we know was far from complete) the movement from android based apk files is almost drag and drop for many applications, save for some tweaks for performance and using the Windows OS services. I could only imagine that the finished tool would be even more seamless than the one that leaked, which would mean that for a developer to release on the Windows platform would only take a few days of work to have something at least half decent to submit to the Windows Store for 100 million extra potential buyers for their app, so it's a real no-brainer.

We just have to wait for WM10 to be fully complete and for the new store to be officially launched before we start seeing any new apps dropping. Personally, I would be surprised if there isn't a steady increase of apps following the release of the tools. But, one thing Microsoft need to be VERY hot on, is that the people submitting the app is the original developer and not someone trying to profit from someone else's creation.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
re:

I suppose Microsoft is going to launch W10M, threshold 2 and the new hardware with many relevant universal apps and iOS/Android ports, to show the world the capabilities of the platform.

Neyney10

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
re:

from what I afraid is that the conversion is for old versions of android and ios.
astoria currently converts android 4.42 code, not 5.0, not the new and coming 6.0.
Project Islandwood converts objective -c for now and not the new Swift.

=

those tools wont hold for much time unless they will be updated to keep the track of versions.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
re:

MS is working closely with some developers, but not all of them. The Astoria tools were leaked previously, but those weren't fully updated. We might start seeing android apps a bit after w10m goes official so hold tight until next month

I actually expect Microsoft to say on 10/10: look we already have these android developers on board and it took "insert developers name" 20 hours of coding to port his app.

I think after what we saw in the previous leaks, this is the least expected. just like how Apple, showcased some apple tv apps, and the office for ipad pro and so on.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
re:

I suppose Microsoft is going to launch W10M, threshold 2 and the new hardware with many relevant universal apps and iOS/Android ports, to show the world the capabilities of the platform.

Hopefully they will. Without an initial collection of cool apps, the launch of W10 Mobile would be much less meaningful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss