Video calling for W10M

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Do you mean native Skype integration? If so, yes... Skype video calling and messaging is supposed to be integrated into the messaging and phone apps of Windows 10 I believe...

okizen

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately we cannot use Skype in my part of the world. I was thinking more along the lines of a dedicated native calling app built into the phone's OS by Microsoft themselves. Something similar to Samsung's Android devices which give you the option to video call from the dial screen.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Yea probably someday, but it will most likely be just deep Skype integration built into the phone app, & messaging...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The solution is Skype, in 8.1 you can initiate a Skype video call from the dialer.

I don't know why you can't use Skype, but it is increasingly positioned as THE video calling service.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
The solution is Skype, in 8.1 you can initiate a Skype video call from the dialer.

I don't know why you can't use Skype, but it is increasingly positioned as THE video calling service.

We are talking about video calling that goes trough your carrier. It's off internet, like the regular calls. IDK how you call them, but in my country they're just known as video calls.
That isn't comming to WP anytime soon.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
We are talking about video calling that goes trough your carrier. It's off internet, like the regular calls. IDK how you call them, but in my country they're just known as video calls.

but everything else uses the internet... FaceTime used to be Wi-Fi only, now it can be used over cellular, but it looks like extra hoops need to be done.

Android? Their solutions is the same...?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

It is. Microsoft is using the Skype framework to build native video calling among Windows devices. Just like Apple has "FaceTime", Microsoft will have native video calling (and messaging just like "iMessage") all using Skype as the backbone of it all. It's important to note, that this isn't your traditional Skype that you're used to.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately we cannot use Skype in my part of the world. I was thinking more along the lines of a dedicated native calling app built into the phone's OS by Microsoft themselves. Something similar to Samsung's Android devices which give you the option to video call from the dial screen.
Don't worry, this is a whole new different kind of Skype. Native video calling, built in and coming soon! They have a new "Messaging Skype BETA" for Windows 10 mobile that bakes these features into the phone's messaging and phone dialer. It's coming!

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Are the OP were talking about Video calls that happen back then.

If I'm not wrong the one that come with Nokia N70 followed it's N7x Line and succeeded by N8.x Line?

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
FaceTime is also not native video calling. The true native video calling used to be available on old 3G phones, and was cross 'platform' and didn't depend on internet - it was completely offline like a normal call. If MS can shove that into Skype that would be nice, but I don't see Skype working without internet anytime soon.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I say "native" meaning the specific platform's default, built in. Like FaceTime is iOS's "native" video calling feature. Microsoft's "native" video calling is Skype. Like you said though, I don't see any of these newer generation video calling services working without an Internet connection.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I don't think that features is coming.

The cost of Video call vs data plan cause ppl not using it. Indeed the camera that build inside many phone are used for many thing but the original purpose already scrapped away.

Skype blow away video call from all side, quality prices and availability.

Today phone no longer has that feature backed. It's not that the OS isn't capable but because rarely people using it

Skype can't replace emergency calls but no one do that with video call right

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't think that features is coming.

The cost of Video call vs data plan cause ppl not using it. Indeed the camera that build inside many phone are used for many thing but the original purpose already scrapped away.

Skype blow away video call from all side, quality prices and availability.

Today phone no longer has that feature backed. It's not that the OS isn't capable but because rarely people using it

Skype can't replace emergency calls but no one do that with video call right

Well, if carriers start making new plans with discounts on video calls, maybe people will use it. I know some carrier is kinda going with it, idk if it's TMO or Verizon, and it's only for Samsung phones.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Well, if carriers start making new plans with discounts on video calls, maybe people will use it. I know some carrier is kinda going with it, idk if it's TMO or Verizon, and it's only for Samsung phones.

Rather than investing fund for video call. I think expanding network connections for data transfer will be the best choice.

Skype provide video calls for free to fellows Skype user. Why would anyone pay extra for video call on phone that limited on cell connection while Skype can took advantages of wifi connection

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
We will never get this feature, unless you guys vote for it in the feedback app. Search for my idea and vote for it if you want it!

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Rather than investing fund for video call. I think expanding network connections for data transfer will be the best choice.

Skype provide video calls for free to fellows Skype user. Why would anyone pay extra for video call on phone that limited on cell connection while Skype can took advantages of wifi connection

Because Skype belongs to Microsoft, and that just wouldn't work. Also, it's better to have something pure that depends only on one thing, like network coverage, than a special program that goes trough internet.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Because Skype belongs to Microsoft, and that just wouldn't work. Also, it's better to have something pure that depends only on one thing, like network coverage, than a special program that goes trough internet.

So far there is no advantage of this services. And if they want to improve video call services they need to improve some equipment.

Think again even if they did will people use it? Today people already know Skype provide the services.

Something pure? Like people care about it. They need reliable service that available anywhere and pure aspects isn't going to attract customers. Since customer isn't buy it why would they do it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo