10-09-2015 12:35 AM
63 123
tools
    There are actually apps for iOS devices to print wirelessly by wifi-printing/air print.
    Yeah but who would buy an app when the feature is BUILT IN?! (guitar riff)
    The apps for printing WiFi/Air are also available for WP8.1/10. I've got one that I use. A couple, actually. However, they only print from within that app and only certain types of apps to certain printers.

The big difference here is that you will be able to obtain a printer driver for your W10M just like on W10 Desktop and print natively from within any app without having to send it to another app. Like, print directly from Microsoft Word. Print directly from Excel. Print from Photos app, or any app that has data that can be printed. Not just print, but Print Preview, Print Settings, Page Layout settings, margins, double-sided printing, print odd-even pages, etc. Or print just pages 7,9 and 17 from that 200 page report.

Is it a killer feature? Well, it's all part of just the "Desktop OS being on a phone." Just like Continuum.

It's going to be a killer feature for Enterprise users. Average users do very little printing anymore.
    JPDVM2014 likes this.
    09-25-2015 07:37 PM
    I believe the biggest impact will come from universal apps, allowing app developers to make a single app with four interfaces (desktop, tablet, phone and tv/xbox).

For me personally it will be continuum, when (and only when) I get an Intel processor and can ditch my Surface Pro, docking my phone at work and at home for the full PC experience. That will be awesome!

(On a sidenote, when that time comes I hope it will be a BlackBerry running Windows 10, something like the new Priv slider, I love having a physical keyboard for work on the go.)
    09-26-2015 02:29 AM
    biggest feature would be a week long battery charge if they could achieve that, everyone else would be screwed, other than that, if continuum capable screens become ubiquitous people would watch and say "oh shet that phone has real windows on it, that's da real MVP" and the thing knows your face too? bruh that's more than killer
    09-26-2015 08:10 PM
    How about apps that are updated?
    Laura Knotek and colinkiama like this.
    09-26-2015 08:13 PM
    Sadly from the technical preview there's no real me killer features. I'm hoping the final version adds a few features we haven't seen yet but it's looking like the insiders has been a waste. It's not much different from 8.1 just added more options Imo.where are the new features Microsoft
    Tien-Lin Chang and theefman like this.
    09-27-2015 07:17 AM
    Sadly from the technical preview there's no real me killer features. I'm hoping the final version adds a few features we haven't seen yet but it's looking like the insiders has been a waste. It's not much different from 8.1 just added more options Imo.where are the new features Microsoft
    I haven't really seen any new features in WM10, except the one in dialer where you type numbers instead of letters and it pops up your contacts, other than that, nt really.
    They've only changed the look.
    For us, regular, non interested in developing users, theres pretty much nothing new.
    09-27-2015 08:09 AM
    True. Many changes under the hood but for the average user nothing that could be called killer feature. In some parts W10M even lacks functions that 8.1 still had like glance screen.
    Hard to convince current owners of a WP device to upgrade, almost impossible to make people switch to WP.
    Go and tell an Android user about our new "features" like the ability to connect bluetooth keyboards or mice, printing etc. will make them laugh at us WP users. Face it or not, but W10M is just as retarded as WP8.1 is compared to the two major competitors.
    09-27-2015 11:41 AM
    The one feature I hope that will be for all W10 phones (and not just premium phones) would be the direct port of Android apps. Project Astoria seems to be something to watch, although I did not dare try the stolen source (which is illegal and on top of that probably modified).
    09-27-2015 05:33 PM
    If by killer feature you mean something innovative that neither iOS nor Android have then probably nothing. There's nothing the software engineers or idea men in Redmond are going to figure out that would be totally foreign to their counterparts at Google and Apple. The most they can do is package some kind of existing concept/functionality in a different way. Hopefully that works out for the consumer in the form of having a third, equally good option when choosing a mobile platform because competition is good for the consumer.
    Tien-Lin Chang likes this.
    09-27-2015 05:47 PM
    If by killer feature you mean something innovative that neither iOS nor Android have then probably nothing. There's nothing the software engineers or idea men in Redmond are going to figure out that would be totally foreign to their counterparts at Google and Apple. The most they can do is package some kind of existing concept/functionality in a different way.
    I would say that continuum, allowing developers to build, test, release and maintain a single app (on a single app store) with four different interfaces (desktop, tablet, mobile and tv/xbox) is pretty innovative and something neither Android nor iOS has.
    09-27-2015 06:32 PM
    I would say that continuum, allowing developers to build, test, release and maintain a single app (on a single app store) with four different interfaces (desktop, tablet, mobile and tv/xbox) is pretty innovative and something neither Android nor iOS has.
    That's something for business users and developers to appreciate, not sure if it's for consumers much. There are those Android 2 in 1s that can be a phone or a tablet, are they any popular?
    09-28-2015 08:51 AM
    That's something for business users and developers to appreciate, not sure if it's for consumers much.
    I think the end result will be for consumers, that they get a lot more apps than today because of it. Sure, that in itself is not a killer feature, but I think that if the app gap does not exist Windows 10 Mobile won't need a killer feature.
    09-28-2015 11:48 AM
    That's something for business users and developers to appreciate, not sure if it's for consumers much. There are those Android 2 in 1s that can be a phone or a tablet, are they any popular?
    The only one I've heard of was the ASUS Transformer Book V, but it was discontinued awhile ago. I've never seen anyone have it.
    09-28-2015 12:01 PM
    True. Many changes under the hood but for the average user nothing that could be called killer feature. In some parts W10M even lacks functions that 8.1 still had like glance screen.
    Hard to convince current owners of a WP device to upgrade, almost impossible to make people switch to WP.
    Go and tell an Android user about our new "features" like the ability to connect bluetooth keyboards or mice, printing etc. will make them laugh at us WP users. Face it or not, but W10M is just as retarded as WP8.1 is compared to the two major competitors.
    I have a glance on my 640, slow ring.
    09-28-2015 12:12 PM
    There's quite a few settings under Extras including the glance screen that had not been restyled for W10 yet. I hope that they will rewrite them all, but they are not a priority atm. They are there if you do not hard reset.
    09-28-2015 01:56 PM
    MS seems to ignore what quality means
    09-28-2015 02:54 PM
    There's quite a few settings under Extras including the glance screen that had not been restyled for W10 yet. I hope that they will rewrite them all, but they are not a priority atm. They are there if you do not hard reset.
    I've done the hard reset, and still, i have glance.
    09-28-2015 03:13 PM
    I think the end result will be for consumers, that they get a lot more apps than today because of it. Sure, that in itself is not a killer feature, but I think that if the app gap does not exist Windows 10 Mobile won't need a killer feature.
    Fulfill the app gap is just the baseline in my point of view, the platform still needs extra highlight spot to really attracting people willing to give a try then pay the money to get on board. For now I can't see continuum can bring my multi-task work from my laptop to my phone with significant effective improvement than teamviewer and if it shrink on my phone then there's nothing to "contiune" so it's not a go for me.

--
    Cheap price to hook people get it as spare phone then get them addicted to it might be an costy approach but in asia area I fall to see that happen even in WP8 era, they are as pricy as blackberry. Selling an entry level spec device for 100~150USD off-contact price is crazy for a small brand with not-complete system even it's from microsoft.
    09-30-2015 09:41 PM
    maybe continuum, as it seems...but nothing else could be considered a "killer" feature. it used to have sometime ago many more..
    Continuum isn't going to be a killer feature and I'll give you an example, you're going to be working from a remote office in your organisation great you think "I can do all my work from my phone". This depends the remote location having a monitor a mouse and keyboard sitting on a desk, if they have these why don't they have a PC plugged in for anyone to use? You'll either need your own dock/hub or hope the company has rolled them out. Now the big kicker you'll need apps for everything you do at work, yet any in house software isn't going to run on your phone unless the dev team has been very hard at work.
    10-02-2015 12:28 AM
    The start screen is the killer feature. Way better in windows 10 than in windows 8.1. More refined, more options. It can really be made to look nice and arranged to work best with your workflow.
    The home screen in Windows 10 mobile is no different than Windows Phone 8.1 in functionality as far as I can see. What is making it "way better"?
    theefman likes this.
    10-02-2015 12:31 AM
    Continuum isn't going to be a killer feature and I'll give you an example, you're going to be working from a remote office in your organisation great you think "I can do all my work from my phone". This depends the remote location having a monitor a mouse and keyboard sitting on a desk, if they have these why don't they have a PC plugged in for anyone to use? You'll either need your own dock/hub or hope the company has rolled them out. Now the big kicker you'll need apps for everything you do at work, yet any in house software isn't going to run on your phone unless the dev team has been very hard at work.
    That's why I've said maybe. for me at least is not a killer feature. also iris scanner is worse than touch id for unlocking the phone for example. While you are driving, and the phone is mounted, what do you do? stare at the phone and hit the wall?? :)))
    10-02-2015 02:18 AM
    The home screen in Windows 10 mobile is no different than Windows Phone 8.1 in functionality as far as I can see. What is making it "way better"?
    The tiles are closer, the ability to set a background picture and set the transparency of the tiles. This is purely from a aesthetics point of view. But this also allows you to get tiles that are easier to see the text on and work better for you.

I mean action center and all that is great no doubt. But I love the new start screen. I can have an action center in ios.
    10-02-2015 07:20 AM
    I think you're wrong sir and I'll tell you why: A monitor with peripherals that already has a PC plugged in that does not belong to you (most likely scenario according to your post) will have one major drawback - it does not let you continue continue your own work. Ability to just plug in your phone wherever is an awesome idea IMO.
    ayngling likes this.
    10-02-2015 07:25 AM
    nice idea but not an extreme sale point. Extreme sale point was the camera in Lumia phones sometime ago and the fluidity of the OS which is not the case anymore with windows 10.
    theefman and Tien-Lin Chang like this.
    10-02-2015 07:44 AM
    I'm hoping to get that non-resuming feature.
    10-02-2015 07:57 AM
63 123