Which one will be Windows 10 mobile's killer feature? Your opinion

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
My ATIV S just got the leak version of 10536 TP for less than a week. Beside the hamberger manu, more upper layout buttoms and some more resume/reload waiting time, it does feel like a more mature (non cartoon-ish) WP8.1 with nicer font. I'm not sure what are the new features I should feel excited about. I have a windows 10 tablet and I do love how UWP apps running at desktop mode instead of jumping between desktop/metro UI at WP 8.1 days but the mobile version?

There are few features I always hearing WP fans are talking about :

The UWP apps - You got what you can get from store and you won't get what you can't. They runs and feels no different compare to WP8.1 apps and I haven't feel any quality/quantity change. It might be great for programmers but not a noticeable change from the view as an end user now. I really don't think those heavy, big softwares can be proceeded on mobile device even they have been re-programmed to UWP apps.....

The ability to port or sideload iOS/Android apps - provide way bigger amount of apps to choose from. However, I'm expecting iOS/Android level of app UX AT BEST, not to mention the underpower issue at EVERY WP8/8.1 gen devices besides 930(icon)/1520. I won't recon this a game changer in the mobile battle against the other two.

Continuum - this one is very tricky. We have chrome that can sync tabs across logged-in devices already. With the ability to work with cloud, it's also easy to contiune work between mobile/PC. So what's the need and ability to carry 100% your current work between mobile/PC devices? As a PhD student, I often open mutiple pdfs, few IE tabs, one or two word/excel files at same time and It's hard for me to image how can this working form being carried to a phone and contiune to work?

united UX - another tricky point. I accept the way bikes have handle bars and cars have steering wheels and I really don't think that my TV 's remote should using the same UI as my aircon's remote control. I also couldn't get that people want all their screens being formated into similar patterns while saying that every iPhone looks the same and its boring....

So I'm really curious about what new feature that windows 10 mobile will introduce recon as "the killer feature" from the others cos I'm a bit confused looking at my ATIV S running this windows 10 mobile TP. It dose looks prettier yet I can't feel the fundamental change that can bring the UX into the next level and start to winning against the other two platfroms....Many thanks to any thoughts feeding back.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
maybe continuum, as it seems...but nothing else could be considered a "killer" feature. it used to have sometime ago many more..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Manmikey

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Sadly I don't think any features will be killer enough to persuade ios or android users to defect to WM10, what is, in my opinion, the best hope is that WM10 and the new 950's stabilise the platform enough to grow in the market place, this is going to take time , the 2 features I thing will be citical for this are cContinuim and the project astoria/islandwood initiatives. Neither of these will have a real impact at launch or indeed for many months after, but in a year's time, hopefully the app gap is getting plugged and continuim has taken off, then people on other platforms maybe tempted to switch as their contracts end....

As for me I'm really hoping windows hello works as intended, Qi charging is reliable although I'd prefer qualcomm quick carge. battery life must is as good as my 640 ( best battery performance ever )
More than anything I don't want loading...... or Resuming....

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Continuum is a nice feature for some people only. It is not a killer feature. Most people can afford an extra low-end PC for use at home.

The fate of Win10 Mobile depends much on Win 10 for PC. If Win 10 for PC can attract sufficient developers to write apps, hopefully their apps will also support Win10 Mobile.

In terms of functionalities, I think iOS/Android/WP are more or less the same. What really matter is, again, apps. But I think Win10 Mobile looks cool and gives people a refreshing image of Windows Phone.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't think there is a single Killer feature that will bring iOS and Android users running to the platform. That said, one big change that you didn't mention is moving a lot of core apps into updatable apps. We only have to look at mail which was built in and so never changed to the new mail which gets weekly updates. A lot of the system is like this and can be enhanced, improving Windows desktop and mobile experience.

The whole concept of Windows as a Service, where regular updates push things forward more rapidly than other OS's may help the platform feature set grow. This is attractive to some as often Android phones are never updated and become aged or stuck with issues.

The Android compatibility to me brings the biggest potential, if Android developers release their apps. [I suspect an underground app market will exist if they don't]. Android is getting a reputation for poor security but Windows phone has a high regard for security. If the apps come, so will the users and now the effort to brings apps is so low it will be interesting to see if they come.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I think it would be great if one could run Win32 apps on a phablet with Intel processor. It's supposed to be the same OS underneath after all. That's an USP they could offer that nobody else can.

Jezza

May 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm waiting for the day when OTG/USB dual role is confirmed on a device and the Xbox app allows game streaming from an Xbox One and use of an Xbox controller, that would be a killer feature in some respects, but not something for everybody.

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Yeah but who would buy an app when the feature is BUILT IN?! (guitar riff)
They are free~(Human beatbox)

You do know that a very important feature of smartphone is the capability to expend abilities by installing apps right?

And there are many people installing 3rd party photo/camera apps while their phones have BUILT IN camera app(Drum solo, 350bpm)

The superior of built in should be some feature you couldn't patch by software like notification LED.

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I not see any killer features in W10M. It even lacks some features (yet) compared to 8.1.
Sorry for those who still believe in miracles that will never happen and dream of fighting Android and iOS.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
The start screen is the killer feature. Way better in windows 10 than in windows 8.1. More refined, more options. It can really be made to look nice and arranged to work best with your workflow. That is the only thing that keeps me on windows phone. Honestly, if I had to choose I would go to iOS if it wasn't for the start screen. Apps are no doubt lacking but the universal platform and the addition of all the development tools it's possible the app world may expand quite a lot. Either way when I was testing loading android apps onto my windows phone, I looked and looked for android apps I would want on it and couldn't find any. I only tested Flipp. And then i removed it as I don't trust sites that give out free android apps. It is after all the king of malware. So for me apps aren't an issue at the moment and it seems that the app list is growing since the release of windows 10 for desktop. I think the developer tools will however help with the app problem. If it is honestly as easy as Microsoft says, then putting the additional resources to get it to work may actually pay off in revenue due to small investment needed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss